Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

Volkonski

Re: Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

Post by Volkonski » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:28 pm

Riverhead Patch

@RiverheadPatch
Following Following @RiverheadPatch
More
Glass was broken, a large sign was damaged, and flower pots were knocked over, police say.

2:11 PM - 30 Aug 2018

It was a Greek Orthodox Church. One of these guys is from Vermont, the other from upstate NY.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:27 pm

Briarcliff Manor? IIRC, that's a pretty affluent area.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:32 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:27 pm
Briarcliff Manor? IIRC, that's a pretty affluent area.
Generally, rich white people are the worst kind of white people.

There are exceptions with regard to some poor white people who are pretty bad too.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Meanwhile in North Carolina, the tobacco crop is LOOKING GOOD.

20180830_183655-800x361.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:01 am

Foggy wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:25 pm
Meanwhile in North Carolina, the tobacco crop is LOOKING GOOD.

20180830_183655-800x361.jpg
Too bad. :madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:30 am

Oh now, don't be grumpy, V. Did you know that this is the only state that used our tobacco settlement money to ... help tobacco farmers grow more tobacco?

But I apologize for the threadjack. One a these days Ima start my own thread, "Meanwhile Down in North Cackilacki". This state is a fascination. :mrgreen:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:17 am

It is the last day of August. As we enter the ever more active Fall tourist season on the North Fork the college students are heading back to school and the tight labor market is getting tighter still.

"Tony" my restaurateur friend (not his real name) is posting this message on social media-
Tony's of (local hamlet) seeking pizza chef with kitchen experience. Full time year round employment . Apply at Tony's or call after 6 pm 631-YYY-XXXX pay commensurate with experience.

RiverheadNewsReview

@riverheadnews1
Following Following @riverheadnews1
More
As the hospitality industry booms, hiring managers are struggling to find staff.

5:03 AM - 31 Aug 2018
This season, he’s supplemented his staff with 14 foreign students through the J-1 work visa program, on which he relies. “It was an answered prayer,” he said of the program, which has helped him staff his restaurant for four seasons now.

:snippity:

The Pew report suggests several reasons for the declining employment trend, including shorter summer breaks, more teens taking summer school classes and a growing number who perform unpaid community service or take unpaid internships to bolster their college applications, which the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics does not count as employment.

Every business owner interviewed for this story cited housing as a key factor in the labor shortage.

In 1970, the report says, the median price for a home on Long Island was $180,000 and 68 percent of 25- to 34-year-olds owned homes. In 2018, the median home price is $450,000, and the home ownership rate among millennials is only 20 percent.
Exacerbating the housing problem is a huge increase in what people are willing to pay for seasonal (summer) rentals. Houses and apartments near a beach that once were rented to year-around tenants are now rented to short-term summer people. The owners are getting more money. The properties sit empty for over half the year.

Unstated in this article is that the immigration crackdown has driven many workers away. This week our lawn man who a few years ago had 3 or 4 mowing crews (mostly Guatemalans) and until this summer ran a plant store on Main Rd. mowed our lawn by himself in the 90 degree heat. HIs plant store never opened this summer. He couldn't find workers.

Also unstated in this article is the effect of the graying of the North Fork. The average age in the Town of Southold is 45. The average for all of Suffolk County is 36. (For comparison, the average age in our Texas city is 31.) In the county as a whole 37% of households include children under 18. In Southold that number is 26%. Southold has a larger than usual percentage of retirees and a smaller than usual percentage of teenagers and young adults.

The big question- who will harvest all the crops this Fall. I predict a huge increase in You-Pick farm stands. It won't just be pumpkins and apples. You want cauliflower or brussel sprouts? They're over there in the field. ;)

verbalobe

Post by verbalobe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:03 pm

We cooked our farmstand corn tonight, using your roasting method, Mr. V. A grand success! Thank you again!

(I forgot to take pictures. All cobs stripped bare look the same.)

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:41 am

Foggy wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:30 am
Oh now, don't be grumpy, V. Did you know that this is the only state that used our tobacco settlement money to ... help tobacco farmers grow more tobacco?

But I apologize for the threadjack. One a these days Ima start my own thread, "Meanwhile Down in North Cackilacki". This state is a fascination. :mrgreen:
I would start a Day in Florida thread, but sadly, everything of note is already covered in Florida Man.

What about those two vandals, though? That is lame, lame, lame. It took two of them to break a piece of glass out of a window, kick over a few flowerpots and whack a sign? I can do better than that and I'm a little ol' lady.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:15 am

RVInit wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:41 am
Foggy wrote:

I would start a Day in Florida thread, but sadly, everything of note is already covered in Florida Man.

What about those two vandals, though? That is lame, lame, lame. It took two of them to break a piece of glass out of a window, kick over a few flowerpots and whack a sign? I can do better than that and I'm a little ol' lady.
I'm a little old lady and can do better than that going to the bathroom at night without turning the light on.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:28 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:15 am
RVInit wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:41 am
Foggy wrote:

I'm a little old lady and can do better than that going to the bathroom at night without turning the light on.
:rotflmao:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:26 am

I'll be hunking down inside for a while. ;)

More West Nile Virus found in mosquito samples, including locations in Aquebogue, Jamesport and Southold

https://riverheadlocal.com/2018/08/24/m ... -southold/

Health officials: Cyanobacteria bloom confirmed in Riverhead pond

https://riverheadlocal.com/2018/09/01/h ... head-pond/

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:11 pm

Yesterday evening was the last summer concert by the Greenport Band. Founded in 1851 the Greenport Band has played summer concerts next to the harbor most every year since. (The band was not active during WW II.)

We went early and ate dinner before the concert. Greenport now has a rooftop restaurant. :o :)

Views from the restaurant.

View of the restaurant from Mitchell Park.

The Camera Obscura in Mitchell Park.

The Band in Mitchell Park.

The Greenport Band played very well, marches, polkas, sentimental songs, etc.

Just before playing the Star Spangled Banner the conductor mentioned that the Greenport flag was properly at half mast. The band had played at Southold two days before and the Southold flag was at full staff. (I use the word "mast" for the Greenport flag since their flagpole is a ship's mast with main and topmasts, yards and standing rigging.)

Last night was the conductor's 25th anniversary with the Band so there was a a little ceremony. He got a card, a restaurant voucher and an Amazon.com gift card.

He talked a bit about the band. The conductor before him had done 47 seasons. There is a couple in the band, a clarinet and a trombone who have played with the band for 63 seasons. The oldest member of the band is a 92 year-old retired USAF general who plays trombone. The youngest member is just starting 8th grade.

In other band news, there is going to be a band in Riverhead this Fall. They have asked Mrs. V. to play with them. She is thinking about it. Their last concert would be Nov. 4th which would delay our planned return to Texas by a week.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:17 pm

With Fall almost here our neighbor to the right has put his anti-acorn canopy over his car. :)

Happily there are no oak trees where we park our vehicle.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:37 pm

You must get some really big acorns. Around here, it's walnuts. Windshield breakers and laundry stainers if you are unlucky enough hit connect at 45mph.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:36 am

Bill_G wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:37 pm
You must get some really big acorns. Around here, it's walnuts. Windshield breakers and laundry stainers if you are unlucky enough hit connect at 45mph.
North Fork potato.

North Fork Pumpkin.

North Fork apples.

The acorns are similarly sized. ;)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:41 am

This is the larger town beach in our hamlet to the east of East Creek. It has 3000 feet of beach on the bay and the creek. The water is shallow and the waves are tiny so it is popular with families who have small children.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:32 am

Given that Long Island was very productive agriculturally, why is that now the case? Is it just pressure on land values?
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:10 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:32 am
Given that Long Island was very productive agriculturally, why is that now the case? Is it just pressure on land values?
Don't understand. :? Why is what now the case?

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:51 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:32 am
That is probably a contributing factor in the decline of ag on LI, but farm economics have changed. Subsidies, low cost logistics / transportation, and foreign imports are the driving forces. The entire mega-city of Boston to DC is the preferred destination market for all ag producers because you can get top dollar for perfect fresh produce. Honestly, it's harder to get a California cucumber in California than in the Big Apple. And if you are a big enough producer, you can write down the losses on spoiled goods that didn't sell fast enough. Even mainland US producers in the farm belt are not immune to the changes. Del Monte closed their vegetable packing plants in WA, and moved to Mexico leaving the Yakima Valley unable to get their green beans and corn to market. This affected the local beef and dairy producers as well because there was no silage anymore.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:15 am

LI potatoes were driven out of the markets by Idaho potatoes.

When I worked in a grocery store in Massachusetts in the 1960's all the potatoes came from LI. Now the potatoes in the supermarkets here on the North Fork come from Idaho. Large Idaho farms produce potatoes at a significantly lower cost than is possible on LI.

If it weren't for the vineyards and foodie tourism farming might have disappeared from LI entirely.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:27 am

Volkonski wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:15 am
And no wonder ... this is Miss Idaho 1935.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:30 am

Speaking of foodie tourism.....

There is a battle going on here on the East End of LI between shellfish farmers and recreational boaters.

How shellfish farming expansion in Suffolk’s waters hit the rocks

https://riverheadlocal.com/2018/09/02/h ... the-rocks/
What was supposed to happen for aquaculture this past month was a decision by the N.Y. State Department of Agriculture and Markets to open 103,000 underwater acres in Gardiner’s, Napeague and Peconic Bays to shellfish farming. These were to be added to the 25,000 acres of bay bottoms which State Ag and Markets has already turned over to Suffolk. But State Ag and Markets would only open these additional 103,000 acres if Suffolk County formally requested it. After all, the state relies on Suffolk to manage and lease these bay bottoms.

The L.I. Oyster Growers Association, along with the L.I. Farm Bureau, showed considerably more enthusiasm for this proposal during this committee’s discussion, held last month in Hauppauge. Their spirited support for this initiative, however, proved inadequate, as the county legislators in committee voted 5 to 2 to reject it.

There’s a considerable, environmental plus in shellfish farming. It is a way to help clean up the bay region. One hard clam filters carbons and nitrogen out of 50 gallons of estuarine waters each day. Clams, oysters, mussels and other shellfish are remarkable water purifiers, playing an important role in the Peconics’ ecosystem. Technology cannot create a more efficient and inexpensive filtration system than what filter-feeding shellfish naturally provide.

Then there is the lawsuit problem, where recreational boating groups in particular claim that aquaculture infringes on recreation in the bays.
The shellfish fishery in the Peconic Estuary was destroyed by overfishing and pollution. It is starting to come back but it needs careful tending.

I am with the shellfish farmers on this one. Recreational boaters very rarely use their boats here. Even at the height of the summer on a perfect weather weekend the Great Peconic Bay will have only a few boats on it. There is room for the shellfish farmers.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:36 am

Foggy wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:27 am
Volkonski wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:15 am
And no wonder ... this is Miss Idaho 1935.

Fake news. Potatoes do NOT grow on girls. There are vast potatoes mines between Pocatello and Boise created by the continental drift that also formed the Rockies. Like the granite state, these things are all through the soil making it impossible to till without ruining your plow. But, brilliant marketing turned a liability into a commodity. The rest is history.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:39 am

She was a spud, lookin' for a stud. :?

Return to “The Lounge”