Roommate Issues, aka Why I Sometimes Dislike Humans

Jez

Re: Roommate Issues, aka Why I Sometimes Dislike Humans

Post by Jez »

Court date is tomorrow morning. Hopefully all goes well.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran
HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl »

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, Jez, & will be keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well!!
Whip

Post by Whip »

Jez wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:31 pm Court date is tomorrow morning. Hopefully all goes well.
think she'll call the cats as character witnesses?
SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Good luck to you tomorrow. May justice be served.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda
Jez

Post by Jez »

She got a :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: continuance, because she was still so sick from her Endo two weeks ago. Excuse me, major sury.
BUT she wasn't so sick while she was flying around her before Friday stuffing crap in her car and grabbing her dog. We have to put up with this psycho at least another week or two.
Best part? Bitch was sitting in the court house parking lot when we found out about the continuance. I saw the bitch sitting in her car
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran
Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Jez wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:13 pm She got a :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: continuance, because she was still so sick from her Endo two weeks ago. Excuse me, major sury.
BUT she wasn't so sick while she was flying around her before Friday stuffing crap in her car and grabbing her dog. We have to put up with this psycho at least another week or two.
Best part? Bitch was sitting in the court house parking lot when we found out about the continuance. I saw the bitch sitting in her car
I'm so sorry Jez. Bad roommate situations suck* and I know all of were hoping your's would end today. Two more weeks :-(

*Someday, when you've recovered from this, I'll tell you about the six months of hell Mrs Somerset and I spent living with "Squeaky and the Bro."
Jez

Post by Jez »

Here is the kicker. I don't have her blocked. I don't block people as a general rule. You have to have really done something horrible for me to block you. Not ONCE has she asked about her cat or asked us to feed him. It has been a full 4 days. Yes, we have been slipping food and water in to him, but the poor thing is craving attention.
I am getting ready to spirit the cat away, but that would just avalanche into something bigger and I don't need or want that.
Poor Dawn is about to crack. I might have to have her admitted for observation after this whole thing is done.

~Khalil Gibran
Jez

Post by Jez »

D got a letter from the court yesterday about the rescheduling for the continuance. The new hearing is on Tuesday. B got one here as well, but of course she isn't here to receive it so it's sitting on the kitchen counter.

She left Friday, August 17th around 6pm and has been back to the house once for about 20 minutes (the following Wednesday) to grab a few things, including a package of frozen steaks from the freezer. No, they weren't hers, she didn't buy them. She just felt the need to steal something I guess. And since we are not allowed to touch her stuff, all of her leftovers are still in the fridge stinking it up.

Can't remember if I mentioned that she left her cat behind. She didn't take him with when she came back on Wednesday. I think she is hoping that he would be very ill from no food and then she could blame/sue us for vet bills. I don't know. Her brain is wired so very differently then most humans. I've been feeding Star, the cat. I put a small bowl of food and water in there at night for him, the remove it in the morning. He is dying for affection, so I give him some when I can.

I spoke to the humane society about the cat, if there was anyway we could get him away from her and maybe even keep him ourselves. Sadly, the way the laws are written, we would have to let the cat starve/go thirsty to be able to say she had abandoned him or that he is mistreated. I cannot, and still have a clear soul, do that to this poor creature. Our only other hope is that the idiot does not show up to collect the rest of her stuff before the bailiff comes to let us change the locks.

D is definitely going to mention the cat to the judge on Tuesday. That she has essentially abandoned the cat and we have been taking care of him to the best of our ability without being able to go into her room.

B does have a history of hurting herself then trying to blame someone else, so both D and I are being very careful in making sure our movements can be verified. I am waiting for her to attempt to say I beat her up at some point. I haven't, of course, but I'm waiting for it. She's pulled this before and will again, I have no doubt.

Did a little digging in the county over. Found that she has a sentencing hearing on a misdemeanor case on 9/4. The original hearing was on 7/31, but she managed to get a continuance for that one as well.

Both D and I just want this whole thing over. We're hoping by the end of next week at the absolute latest. Then we are changing locks and getting ADT out to install a security system.

~Khalil Gibran
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

This woman knows what she is doing. Be very careful what you do with that Cat, as she has left it there deliberately.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
Jez

Post by Jez »

B's move out date is the 4th!!!! She didn't even bother to show up to court this morning so the judge just pretty much said granted on the papers. D did not get a chance to ask about the cat, so we may be forced to let her take him with her. She claims she is going to be moving out on Saturday.

So good news. wonderful news. :)

~Khalil Gibran
NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

Jez wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:41 am B's move out date is the 4th!!!! She didn't even bother to show up to court this morning so the judge just pretty much said granted on the papers. D did not get a chance to ask about the cat, so we may be forced to let her take him with her. She claims she is going to be moving out on Saturday.

:thumbs:
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Hope it goes smoothly, hon. :bighug:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Jez wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:41 am B's move out date is the 4th!!!! She didn't even bother to show up to court this morning so the judge just pretty much said granted on the papers. D did not get a chance to ask about the cat, so we may be forced to let her take him with her. She claims she is going to be moving out on Saturday.

I know it goes against your nature, but I would just let her take the cat; I wouldn’t even offer to keep it. If you keep the cat, you’re potentially setting yourself up for some later claim that you stole her cat. Or you’re giving her some reason to “stop by,” and you just really want her gone from your lives entirely. It’s hard, I know.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Concur.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Jez

Post by Jez »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:04 am

I know it goes against your nature, but I would just let her take the cat; I wouldn’t even offer to keep it. If you keep the cat, you’re potentially setting yourself up for some later claim that you stole her cat. Or you’re giving her some reason to “stop by,” and you just really want her gone from your lives entirely. It’s hard, I know.
It is hard, but I have steeled myself for that eventuality. When she got here, her cat was pretty much skin and bones. You could feel every vertebrae in his backbone when you pet him. She claims that her prior roommate wouldn't help her feed the cat when she worked late, blah blah blah. Well, he's gained weight while in our care, that is for sure. But you can tell he is very food insecure. He gulps down anything you put in front of him like it's going to be taken away any minute. I think she was hoping by neglecting him for the last several days he would get very ill so she could blame us.

No such luck on her part.

Anyway, we are not going to fully rest until she is completely out of the house and we have changed the locks and have a security system installed. Which will be on the 4th.

~Khalil Gibran
Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Jez wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:14 am
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:04 am

It is hard, but I have steeled myself for that eventuality. When she got here, her cat was pretty much skin and bones. You could feel every vertebrae in his backbone when you pet him. She claims that her prior roommate wouldn't help her feed the cat when she worked late, blah blah blah. Well, he's gained weight while in our care, that is for sure. But you can tell he is very food insecure. He gulps down anything you put in front of him like it's going to be taken away any minute. I think she was hoping by neglecting him for the last several days he would get very ill so she could blame us.

No such luck on her part.

Anyway, we are not going to fully rest until she is completely out of the house and we have changed the locks and have a security system installed. Which will be on the 4th.
And in the meantime, you can now throw all her stuff out of the refrigerator ;)
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Yay! :thumbs:
:resist:
Only 8 days until the election!
Jez

Post by Jez »

Spoke with D last night about the hearing. Maybe some of the lawyer types can explain a couple of things to me.

Since B wasn't there, it was all of about 2 minutes of a hearing, but they typically have a full docket and they whip though the evictions pretty quickly. D went up when her name was called, Judge asked her a couple of questions. D told him that she isn't even asking for restitution, that she just wants B out of her house. Judge read the paper for a few seconds and says, "Well, I'm granting restitution." Signed the papers, so that was it. Now we know that there is another piece of paper we fill out for restitution and have that filed. We figured out last night that the unpaid rent comes to approximately $1750.

Now for the questions:
  • If there is any damage to the carpets or the furniture (other than small scuffs, etc) can we tack that on as well?
  • Do we need to include any type of official estimate for cleaning/repair/replacement of any damaged items, or can we just put down the value (i.e., what was paid for the item)?
  • Is there anything else we can add for restitution?
I'm sure I'll have other questions. She is already going to ask about service of the restitution. We have no idea where B is moving to. We don't know if she suckered someone else into letting her stay with them, or if she has moved in with her parents. So, the courts may find it difficult to effect service (harken back to the birther days).

Reading the court rules for the county, there is mention of publishing the Writ in the "paper of record" for the county (Dayton Daily News, in this case) for 6 weeks (once per week). It isn't specific on if this can be done in instances of restitution for eviction, but does prohibit it in cases of divorce and custody. Who pays for that? Do we? Is it considered a court cost?

Or should I just write all these questions up and email them to D so she can contact the court clerk? Who, by the way, has been fabulous in helping us out. She is very well acquainted with B and shut her down when she attempted to get another continuance Tuesday morning.

~Khalil Gibran
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

The answers to these questions are super specific to your location, so I would start with the clerk of the court. The clerk is probably limited in the amount of information that they are allowed to provide, however. It is possible that they may answer some, but not all of these questions. Then you would have to decide whether you think it’s worth the effort of hiring an attorney. Or, there may be legal aid available to D depending on her income.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
Somerset

Post by Somerset »

I would also guess that any order of restitution becomes public record, and available to anyone who has to take legal action against the roommate in the future.
GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper »

I'm not an attorney but in Ohio getting a judgement of restitution is easy, collecting on that judgment is another story.

Unless very soon to be ex roommate has a steady job with paychecks that can be garnished, you may be out of luck.

I hope one of our resident legal eagles can offer a more optimistic alternative.
SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Now for the questions:
If there is any damage to the carpets or the furniture (other than small scuffs, etc) can we tack that on as well?
Do we need to include any type of official estimate for cleaning/repair/replacement of any damaged items, or can we just put down the value (i.e., what was paid for the item)?
As Maybenaut said, these are questions of state law. I'm not sure if these things fall under restitution, or if that only covers unpaid rent.

However, these things likely do apply to the return of any security deposit she had. If she paid a deposit, state law usually allows you to take these things out of her deposit, but they have specific time requirements. In my state, within 14 days of her leaving (which might be considered today?), you have to mail notice to the tenant giving specific amounts for things you're withholding. Which means you do need an estimate. If you have a written lease, also look at the lease to see what is stated in it about such things.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda
Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

Don't know where exactly you are, but if there's a law school that's reasonably close, might be worth a call to see if they run any clinics that might be able to help.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.
Jez

Post by Jez »

Mikedunford wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:09 pm Don't know where exactly you are, but if there's a law school that's reasonably close, might be worth a call to see if they run any clinics that might be able to help.
That is a great idea, Mike. Thanks :)

And thank you everyone else for the info. We don't expect to collect, truthfully. But the fact that the judgement will be out there for all and sundry will be a satisfaction.

~Khalil Gibran
Jez

Post by Jez »

She came at about 445 pm to get her stuff with her father. We sat quietly and let her get her stuff and take it out to her car and her father's truck.

She left saying she will be back for a couple more items.

She dumped a very full litter box on the floor. The room smells like cat piss because we were not allowed in the room. She did take the cat with her, which saddened me.

D is concerned that she will come back in the middle of the night. I am hoping she doesn't but there is no telling and we cannot change any locks until tomorrow when the bailiff arrives.

~Khalil Gibran

Return to “The Lounge”