ART: I know it when I see it

Foggy

Re: ART: I know it when I see it

Post by Foggy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:27 am

She can't remember where she left the car keys. :confused:

Welcome, seeker! (There's a seeker born every minute.)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:44 am

Foggy wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:27 am
She can't remember where she left the car keys. :confused:
You are an enlightened art critic! :lol:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:57 am

https://sm.mulplayer.com/article/21594/ ... 377506E-02
Impressive Collages Pieced Together From US Dollar Bills
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

dunstvangeet

Post by dunstvangeet » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:01 am

Would have been more impressive if they had done it out of 5-dollar bills. *nods to himself*

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:03 am

ART: They don't know it when they see it.

https://amp.theguardian.com/culture/sho ... l-of-fakes?
Étienne Terrus: the French painter whose museum is full of fakes

An art historian has discovered that 60% of the works at a gallery in the south of France dedicated to the artist are forgeries, which doesn’t paint anyone in a good light

In 1994, a museum dedicated to his work – Musée Terrus – opened in his home town, Elne, near the French border with Spain.

You mean there is a whole building full of paintings by Terrus? Well, I wouldn’t go that far.

You mean the museum that bears his name is mostly filled with paintings by Terrus? Not quite, no.

What do you mean, then? After extensive renovations, an art historian hired to reorganise the collection discovered that a number of the paintings and drawings attributed to Terrus were fakes.

In the meantime, they should change the name of the museum to something like Terrus and Friends. The police believe other museums may have been similarly duped; they suspect an organised ring.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:09 pm

Another fake?

Albert Burneko
Albert Burneko
@AlbertBurneko
“Actually Not An Edward Hopper Painting, Don’t You Dare Claim Edward Hopper Painted This Photo Of Your Basement Albert Burneko,” E. Hopper, oil on canvas, 1941
DcBiwsVX0AEk0CD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 01, 2018 8:54 am

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 02, 2018 11:50 am

Ho-hum. Just Picasso. 🎤I'm blue.🎤
DcM9bKIW4AE3iYE.jpeg

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Wed May 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:22 pm
American artist Dahlov Ipcar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahlov_Ipcar

Db5EoZpV4AEf77m.jpeg
Beautiful, and of course the Van Gogh is amazing. See my taste runs other places as well. I have not seen the wall mentioned in the Center here but I will search it out.
What do think of this modern art piece by Sam Toft?

Bloom where you're planted 🌷

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 02, 2018 12:47 pm

I like it!!!! Minimalist pic with texture and lots of emotion. :thumbs:

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed May 02, 2018 3:49 pm

WriteItDown wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:34 pm
I like it. It reminds me of one I bought about 15 years ago. It's called Moppet as Sentinel by Karen Garnett.

Image Image Image Image Image

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed May 02, 2018 4:32 pm

I like the Black dog going home painting. There is just barely enough information and it's up to the viewer to supply the story. Is the dog separated from it's owner? How far away is the dog's home? Is this one of those stories where the dog has to travel 300 miles to get back to it's owner? If so, how did the owner and the dog get separated? It's sure going to be a happy ending when the dog finally does make it back home. Etc, etc.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed May 02, 2018 7:53 pm

:o :shock: :o :shock:

I must go take a look at this. :)

Baytown is the newest selfie hot spot in the Houston area

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayt ... o-15491622
A mundane alleyway in Baytown has transformed into a colorful art installation, a new addition city officials hope will draw visitors and boost residents' pride in their community.

Called the "Better Block," the city-owned alley is now home to a floating umbrella canopy, casting colorful shade across the small, newly cleaned up area.

Baytown Tourism coordinator Anna Yowell said a mural is also in progress on one of the walls. The art is a project of Lee College students. The mural, promoting local ecology, will eventually cover all three walls.

The Better Block, located at 124 W. Texas, is part of a larger public art program launched by the Baytown Tourism Division in partnership with the city, the Art League of Baytown, Lee College Art Department and Sterling Municipal Library.

In the glass globe are a blue heron (the official symbol of the city) and the Fred Hartman Bridge which connects Baytown and La Porte crossing the Houston Ship Channel. The FH Bridge is the longest bridge in Texas.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 02, 2018 8:25 pm

It would be interesting to watch the mural being painted. The floating umbrellas are pretty and practical. :thumbs:

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 03, 2018 5:41 pm

This reminded me of Sugar and her quilting.

Henri Matisse
DcTXMwPX4AU7GWp.jpeg

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu May 03, 2018 6:23 pm

WriteItDown wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:34 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:22 pm
American artist Dahlov Ipcar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahlov_Ipcar

Db5EoZpV4AEf77m.jpeg
Beautiful, and of course the Van Gogh is amazing. See my taste runs other places as well. I have not seen the wall mentioned in the Center here but I will search it out.
Why is the dog floating?

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 03, 2018 7:18 pm

It looks like he is sitting on sand to me.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri May 04, 2018 11:43 am

Some pics to peruse over the next month or so.

http://kengarex.com/color-and-life-vivi ... -8-images/
A sample:
tumblr_ntkfehccMw1s5qhggo2_1280-600x378.jpg

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun May 20, 2018 11:12 am

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithson ... 180969085/
Famed for “Immortal” Cells, Henrietta Lacks is Immortalized in Portraiture
Lacks’s descendants never received compensation and were never asked for input, despite the ongoing worldwide use of Lacks’s cells for biomedical research into diseases running the gamut from HIV to Ebola to Parkinson’s. Her children welcomed the addition of a donated grave marker to her unmarked plot in 2010—“Here lies Henrietta Lacks. Her immortal cells will continue to help mankind forever.”—but the public debate over her exploitation by the scientific community rages on. Her story has been the subject of a widely acclaimed 2010 book and a 2017 HBO feature film produced by and starring Oprah Winfrey.

In the lead-up to the 2017 film, African-American portraitist Kadir Nelson, commissioned by HBO, set out to capture Lacks in a richly colored, larger-than-life oil painting. That visual rendering of the woman whose cells have saved millions was just jointly acquired by the National Museum of African American History of Culture and the National Portrait Gallery, and will be on view on the first floor of the latter through November 4, 2018.

In the painting, a kind-eyed, smiling Henrietta looks directly at the viewer, pearls around her neck and a bible held snugly in her overlapped hands. Her canted sun hat resembles a halo, while the geometric “Flower of Life” pattern on the wallpaper behind her suggests both the concept of immortality and the structural complexity of biology. “Nelson captures her strength and her warmth,” Moss says.

The artist also signals the darker aspect of Lacks’s story in a subtle way, omitting two of the buttons on her red dress to imply that something precious was stolen from her.
henrietta5_kindlephoto-86903222.jpg

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun May 20, 2018 12:54 pm

EastStander

Post by EastStander » Sun May 20, 2018 3:45 pm

Apropos of nothing, here's one of my favourite artworks, called 'Field for the British Isles', by Antony Gormley. There are about 40,000 figures, all made by local schoolchildren and their families. It gets installed in various venues in the UK, such as galleries and country houses. I fine it very moving.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun May 20, 2018 7:53 pm

EastStander wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 3:45 pm
Apropos of nothing, here's one of my favourite artworks, called 'Field for the British Isles', by Antony Gormley. There are about 40,000 figures, all made by local schoolchildren and their families. It gets installed in various venues in the UK, such as galleries and country houses. I fine it very moving.
That is so freaking cool I had to go look it up. The original "Field" was created in Mexico by a family of brickmakers, and several other installations, including "Field for the British Isles" have been created in other parts of the world. The whole idea and execution is wonderful.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(sculpture)

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun May 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Tres cool!

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon May 21, 2018 8:30 am

https://binged.it/2s1qEfV
download (4).jpeg

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 29, 2018 10:01 am

Finger painting isn't just for kids!
http://kengarex.com/colourful-klimt-esq ... -images/3/
0_1abbfc_d69b5ee0_orig-1_kindlephoto-326974390.jpg

Return to “The Lounge”