ART: I know it when I see it

Sugar Magnolia

Re: ART: I know it when I see it

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:14 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:07 pm
The words 'Nebraska' and 'Buffet' in one phrase like that can only mean Warren Buffet, the multi-millionaire Oracle of Omaha. He has put his money to good use, donating millions to charities and institutions.

Regarding Chihuly, I'd love to see photos of his work if you could post them. I've seen his exhibits and installations whenever I've been near one and find them fascinating. Once, in Las Vegas, I sat on the floor in a corner of the Bellagio Hotel lobby for at least half an hour admiring his ceiling.
Good catch. Down here, when we see "buffet" we either think of Jimmy or the Golden Corral.

p.s. I know how to spell Jimmy Buffett, but oh so many of his fans don't. Either that, or they're too drunk to care.

They have been drunk now for over two weeks.........

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:15 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:07 pm
The words 'Nebraska' and 'Buffet' in one phrase like that can only mean Warren Buffet, the multi-millionaire Oracle of Omaha. He has put his money to good use, donating millions to charities and institutions.

Regarding Chihuly, I'd love to see photos of his work if you could post them. I've seen his exhibits and installations whenever I've been near one and find them fascinating. Once, in Las Vegas, I sat on the floor in a corner of the Bellagio Hotel lobby for at least half an hour admiring his ceiling.
At the Chihuly Exhibit at the Arkansas Arts Center, the ceiling display was in a narrow passageway to the exit. There were lots of gawkers, including moi, walking slowly.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:19 pm

Chihuly is absolutely gorgeous stuff, but I prefer his earlier work when he was actually making it and not designing it for other people to make. I feel the same about Dr. Bob.

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:33 pm

Sorry about the typo Chihuly

I have really learned a lot today. Thanks to you all
Bloom where you're planted 🌷

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:37 pm

I will post pictures as son as I am ale to go downstairs.
Bloom where you're planted 🌷

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:48 pm

This came across my Twitter feed today. I had never seen it before and have studied and gone to Van Gogh exhibits. I also learned "Le Moulin" means "The Windmill". This is Le Moulin de la Galette.
Le Moulin de la Galette2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:29 pm

Ah, the Chihuly Sanctuary at the Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center. Excellent article with a list of all the art. The sanctuary has 10 different Chihuly installations, including one technique he invented for the sanctuary.

Omaha now on my list to visit. :dance:

http://www.omaha.com/livewellnebraska/i ... 76076.html
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Perhaps this belongs in the television thread, but I am completely in love with cai-guo-giang's art in the documentary "sky ladder" on netflix. It shows how a chinese artist works with fireworks and colored powder to paint art into the sky. (he also does other work, such as paintings which he then burns with gunpowder.) Near the very end, he does an art piece called "sky ladder" that is just fascinating.

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:56 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:29 pm
Ah, the Chihuly Sanctuary at the Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center. Excellent article with a list of all the art. The sanctuary has 10 different Chihuly installations, including one technique he invented for the sanctuary.

My sister, an architect, has met Chihuly on several occasions. She's a good judge of character and she's not a fan. He actually makes precious little of the stuff bearing his name these days, using instead a bunch of apprentices who are paid very little. We all should feel grateful to him for almost singlehandedly reviving the studio glass movement nearly 50 years ago, though I don't want to support his recent business model, which is an assembly line like that of R. C. Gorman, Leroy Nieman or Thomas Kinkade.

If you're a glass art fan and looking for a really awesome collection, the Corning Glass Museum in upstate New York is worth a trip.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:37 am

JohnPCapitalist wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:56 pm
Whatever4 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:29 pm

My sister, an architect, has met Chihuly on several occasions. She's a good judge of character and she's not a fan. He actually makes precious little of the stuff bearing his name these days, using instead a bunch of apprentices who are paid very little. We all should feel grateful to him for almost singlehandedly reviving the studio glass movement nearly 50 years ago, though I don't want to support his recent business model, which is an assembly line like that of R. C. Gorman, Leroy Nieman or Thomas Kinkade.

If you're a glass art fan and looking for a really awesome collection, the Corning Glass Museum in upstate New York is worth a trip.
The same thing my glass blower friend says.
And his "ikebana-style" work in the sanctuary isn't. Just from the pictures in the article, it's obvious that he breaks 3 of the cardinal rules of ikebana. Words have meanings, people, and it sets my teeth on edge when those words are used incorrectly.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:24 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:48 pm
This came across my Twitter feed today. I had never seen it before and have studied and gone to Van Gogh exhibits. I also learned "Le Moulin" means "The Windmill". This is Le Moulin de la Galette.

Isn't this his portrait of the Doctor?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:42 am

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Partially correct. "moulin" translates simply as "mill". It just happens that at the time of Van Gogh the grain mills in the Netherlands were windpowered, as in many low lying parts of Europe. Where water power was readily available, as in the moutainous regions, the mills were run off waterwheels. The power transmission from these devices were not only used for grains but also used for other purposes such as lumber processing/cutting, iron hammering etc (though not at the same facility).

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:55 am

Thanks RTH! I took six years of French and was always taught that moulin means windmill, with none of the background history. (Now I'm going to use that as an excuse for my complete lack of fluency in French - "Well, what do you expect, my teachers never taught me correctly!")

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:10 pm

Another mill, but not a real one. This was built in the late 30's to attract purchasers to buy real estate in a new housing development in North Little Rock, Arkansas. It is the Old Mill shown in the opening scenes of Gone With The Wind and was a playground for my brothers and sister and me during the 1960's as it was one half block from our home.
North_Little_Rock_mill-700x525.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:45 pm

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/01/f ... lenberger/
Flowerworks: Flowers Arranged and Photographed to Look Like Fireworks by Sarah Illenberger
flower-8-624x832.jpg

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:09 pm

The fireworks piece reminds me of some works I saw at MONA a few years back. The artist had managed to dye spider webs and then displayed them on a black background. They were rather gorgeous.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:17 pm

That is delightful and clever.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:09 pm

maydijo wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:09 pm
The fireworks piece reminds me of some works I saw at MONA a few years back. The artist had managed to dye spider webs and then displayed them on a black background. They were rather gorgeous.
THAT would look really cool!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:43 pm

Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:10 pm
Another mill, but not a real one. This was built in the late 30's to attract purchasers to buy real estate in a new housing development in North Little Rock, Arkansas. It is the Old Mill shown in the opening scenes of Gone With The Wind and was a playground for my brothers and sister and me during the 1960's as it was one half block from our home.

North_Little_Rock_mill-700x525.jpg

In Scituate MA, probably the oldest water-driven grist mill in North America. The Stockbridge and Clapp families operated the mill until 1922 when William H. Clapp gave it to the Scituate Historical Society. It was restored to working order in 1970. This mill repacked an earlier mill built in 1640 the year that white people moved to the North Fork of Long Island.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:05 pm

Ah, gee, I skipped right over the posts about Chihuly. I guess I can still be a fan of the pieces, no matter who made them. I truly am. My 2018 calendar is of Chihuly pieces. :lol:

W4, let me know when you go. The article has a link (last on the list on the left :mrgreen: ) about Jun Kaneko’s sculpture for the hospital. He has created several enormous ceramic ollas, which he’s most known for, as public art placed in various cities around the world, as well as places in Omaha. There are a couple of them at the Museum of Nebraska Art in Kearney, too. He bought an old brickworks, a cavernous space where he could fire these giant eggs, on the edge of Old Town Omaha. He turned it into a community art incubator with classes and working space. I was there once, in a snow storm. No one else was. :blink:

http://www.junkaneko.com/jun-kaneko/biography/

As long as we’ve travelled all the way to Nebraska, we should go to Minden and spend a couple of days at Pioneer Village.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... raska.html

Just say when.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:36 am

In Houston-
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:05 am

A mosaic! Wow!!!!

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:47 am

This is a PHOTO!
Dbk547AV0AAyJT_.jpeg

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:22 pm

American artist Dahlov Ipcar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahlov_Ipcar
Db5EoZpV4AEf77m.jpeg

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:32 pm

http://kengarex.com/dressed-in-light-fi ... 50-images/
”Dressed in Light”: Fine Art Photo Series by Dani Olivier (50 images)

”Dressed in Light”: Fine Art Photo Series by Dani Olivier (50 images)

A French photographer Dani Olivier uses the female body as a projection surface that displays intricate light patterns and images. Olivier’s pictures stand out because he refuses to edit the original photos. Thus, he creates his pictures at the time of the shoots with no chance of changing anything afterwards. All pictures are taken in front of a black background. In this way the viewer only sees the interplay between the model and the lighting event. The photographer focuses on either figurative or abstract light art, both of which always lead to a surreal composition. So the projected patterns interact with the female bodies combined with their movements.
daniolivier_art_24175293_641387979584827_7357829914977894400_n-600x417.jpg

Return to “The Lounge”