ART: I know it when I see it

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: ART: I know it when I see it

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://mymodernmet.com/golsa-golchini- ... paintings/
Tiny People Swim, Surf, and Ski Within Each Brushstroke of This Artist’s Paintings

Sometimes the grandeur of nature can make us feel really small. That exact feeling seems to resonate in the colorfully whimsical, mixed-media paintings of Iranian artist Golsa Golchini. Each of her canvases feature an impasto landscape of water or snow, with tiny figures often swimming, surfing, or skiing through it. Unlike the textured backgrounds, the miniature humans are painted digitally and added to the canvas by ink transfers, resulting in a vivid, three-dimensional environment.
golsa-golchini-tiny-figure-paintings-12.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Addie

Post by Addie »

https://mymodernmet.com/last-lockdown-s ... sculpture/

The Last Lockdown is a series of 10 sculptures created by a team hoping to remind the public of what children are facing when they go to school today. Texas-based creatives Dan Crumrine and Sean Leonard joined forces with a team to keep the issue at the forefront and ensure that there’s no complacency when it comes to protecting the younger generation. “The goal was to confront people with the reality of gun violence and how it affects children,” Crumrine shares with My Modern Met. “Even those who never experience it can still be traumatized by the drills and hearing about it from other peers.”

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

:clap:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Went to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston this week. Who wore it better?

Madam X, John Singer Sargent
70690075-2A29-472C-9217-E1FF65D026D1.jpeg
Black Duck, Marsden Hartley
759E9310-7A28-4F37-A7C6-46CAA033B260.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Tiredretiredlawyer

https://mymodernmet.com/robert-bosch-optimization-art/

Mathematician Creates Intricate Drawings Using One Continuous Line

Mathmetician and artist Robert Bosch combines his two disciplines in a series of intricate, maze-like drawings that he calls “optimization art.” This means that they were made with the assistance of mathematical and computer optimization techniques to accommodate certain constraints made by the artist.

In particular, Bosch is interested in making art that solves what is known as the traveling salesman problem. This optimization question entails that a salesman must visit several other locations without visiting the same place twice. The goal is to find the shortest, most efficient route that stops at every point once. Bosch solves this scenario in his art pieces using the constraint that the salesman’s route must be a long, connected loop. Meaning that each of his drawings is actually one circuitous line.

The complexity of Bosch’s art is determined by the number of locations that he uses in the scenario. For example, the artist’s depiction of van Gogh’s self-portrait uses a solution for 120,000 locations, whereas the Girl with the Pearl Earring uses 200,000. When compared visually, it is clear in the darkened background of Vermeer’s masterpiece that the sinuous line is more convoluted due to the higher number of locations.
bob-bosch-optimization-art-11 (1).jpg
bob-bosch-optimization-art-12.jpg
How he does it. http://www2.oberlin.edu/math/faculty/bo ... -page.html

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Looks like my free motion quilting but I don't have angles, just curves.

Panch Villlain

Post by Panch Villlain »

Addie wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:33 pm
https://mymodernmet.com/last-lockdown-s ... sculpture/

The Last Lockdown is a series of 10 sculptures created by a team hoping to remind the public of what children are facing when they go to school today. Texas-based creatives Dan Crumrine and Sean Leonard joined forces with a team to keep the issue at the forefront and ensure that there’s no complacency when it comes to protecting the younger generation. “The goal was to confront people with the reality of gun violence and how it affects children,” Crumrine shares with My Modern Met. “Even those who never experience it can still be traumatized by the drills and hearing about it from other peers.”

Kitsch as kitsch can.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Hmmm - how is tis different from the nuke scares in the 1950s ?

Addie

Post by Addie »

Back when I was under the desk.
RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:57 pm
Don't do stupid shit. -Barack Obama

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

My grandkids don't like them. I posted an article here somewhere a few weeks ago about teachers' unions questioning the wisdom of the drills and if they aren't doing more harm than good.

http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p1151860

I think the artist captured the terror very well.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote:
Kids weren't actually dying from nukes.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:15 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Sadly, yes.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:15 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
:yeah: Also there was one point of focus, one entity of concern. This virus could be carried by anyone which adds an increased element of uncertainty which is a source of fear.

Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm not sure it's that different. Some of us here had the nuclear war drills. We were little children. We didn't know if it was a drill. We knew about Nagasaki and Hiroshima. We saw the pictures in magazines. (Anyone else remember Life magazine?) We heard our worried parents talking when they thought we couldn't hear. It wasn't about a shooter in a particular school. It was about everything around us dying horribly. And if we survived, we might worse off.

And then there was October 1962. Only my father was allowed to use the phone. The cars were gassed up. There was a pass on the sun visors in the cars. We were told that when ordered, we get in the car and go. Take nothing. Just go to someplace in the Blue Ridge Mountains. (Now I know the place was White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia.)

When I was a little older, I read On the Beach and Alas, Babylon trying to find peace with the fear. In the early 1980's, finally there was general agreement that nuclear war should never occur, tensions lessened and my nightmares stopped.

BTW, Trump's obsession with nuclear weapons isn't helping!
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.artistsnetwork.com/art-medi ... -drawings/
Phenomenal Panoramas in Pen and Ink Drawings
BY ARTISTS NETWORK STAFF

Stephen Wiltshire’s drawings of major cities are feats of meticulous draftmenship, remarkable memory and unstoppable drive.

One of the most staggering elements of Wiltshire’s work is the amount of visual information he’s able to recall from memory as he draws. “I think about the windows, the detail and the perspective,” he says. “The rest is pretty easy for me. When I’m not as familiar with a city, it can take me longer to memorize, which adds a lot of pressure because I want to succeed and get it right.”

Once he has memorized the planned section for that day, he gets to work. Relying solely on the reference materials locked in his brain, he starts with a pencil sketch of the designated area. When he’s happy with that, he uses Staedtler pens—his decades-long tool of choice—to add the details.
Downtown-Los-Angeles-skyline210x148-1-768x543.jpg
Drawing-Istanbul-768x512.jpg

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Wow!

Tiredretiredlawyer

On some thread Foggy asked for more Bosch.
https://mymodernmet.com/bosch-parade/
Floating Parade Brings the Eccentric Art of Hieronymus Bosch to Life

Hieronymus Bosch is one of the most intriguing painters of the Northern Renaissance. Though little is known about his life, Bosch’s surreal and absurd paintings—which span the 15th and 16th centuries—are filled with incredible details that continue to influence artists today. In fact, there’s even a parade of sorts, aptly called the Bosch Parade, that takes inspiration from the artist’s fantastical imagination. The floating performance is acted out in a river in the Dutch artist’s hometown.

The Dommel River in ‘s-Hertogenbosch is the stage for the Bosch Parade, which last took place in 2019. Over 25,000 spectators watched as 15 separate tableaus were used to tell a single narrative. Anyone familiar with Bosch’s paintings, such as The Garden of Earthly Delights, won’t be surprised by some of the crazy characters in the parade. Dressed in colorful costumes, each performer helps add to the spectacle.

If this floating parade has piqued your interest, you have time to book your travel plans. The next Bosch Parade will take place from June 17 to June 20, 2021 in ‘s-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands.
Bosch-Parade-2019-19-1024x576.jpg
Bosch-Parade-2019-2-1024x683.jpg

Tiredretiredlawyer

https://mymodernmet.com/cat-landscapes-lim-heng-swee/

Artist Purrfectly Blends Cats Into Minimalist Landscape Illustrations

Swee’s playful Cat Landscape series of minimalist illustrations look like depictions of an otherworldly cat planet. He playfully takes inspiration from Japanese painters like the great Hokusai. In one image, a group of white cats appear to roll with the movement of frothy waves (á la The Great Wave), and in another, a feline plays with the sun as if it’s a ball of string. The artist says, “Recently, I started to explore minimal landscape art and found that the curves and shapes of the land have a lot of similarities with the curve and shape of the cat.”
cat-landscape-lim-heng-swee-11.jpg

Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.thestar.com.my/lifestyle/cu ... -of-plague
Five great painters who did art in times of plague

Today, as we join forces in fighting the current Covid-19 pandemic, we take a look at five masters from history who made art in uncertain times, even if not all of them lived to finish their stories.

Norwegian expressionist artist Edvard Munch (1863-1944)

Munch painted The Scream in 1893, a work that went on to become an icon in its own right. We all know it - the painting where a figure with an agonised expression on its face stands in front of a red sky. With distortion and anxiety written all over this work, the painter was said to have referred to it as his “soul painting”. Munch survived the Spanish Flu pandemic, after which he painted Self-Portrait After The Spanish Flu (1919), where he appeared gaunt, wrapped in a dressing gown and blanket.

Austrian painter Gustav Klimt (1862-1918)

Klimt was not as fortunate as Munch, however, having suffered a stroke and during his time in hospital, contracted pneumonia and died at the start of the flu pandemic. At the height of the Austrian symbolic painter’s ‘Golden Phase’, where he used gold leaf in his works, he painted The Kiss (Lovers) (1907/08) which showed two lovers locked in embrace. This oil painting, widely considered to be his most famous painting, has gold leaf, platinum and silver.
617346 (1).jpg

Return to “The Lounge”