wow, what a year

sad-cafe

wow, what a year

Post by sad-cafe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:53 pm

Crohn's is a never ending ordeal but last year I had C-Diff and was sick for months. Had to take short term disability and that cut my income a LOT.

So far this year (knock on wood) I have been okay.

I promised myself if I was able to get better and get back to work, I would give to the homeless that live near me.

While getting stocking stuffers for my kids, I noticed that gloves were a really great price and when I walked past them the thought went through my head "to whom much is given-much is expected"

I bought 20 pair and tonight while walking the dog I passed out all 20 pair in the little homeless community set up at the park next door. I live downtown and see the homeless a lot.

One lady knocked a pair that I was trying to give her out of my hand (they were red and that is an issue ) The guy sitting next to her yelled at her to never do that to someone trying to be nice. I said it's okay I have a different color. She started crying and asked if she could hug me and I said sure. She hugged me and started praying and asked for forgiveness. I told her there was nothing to forgive but have a Merry Christmas.

I know it isn't much but it was what I could do.

Thank you to those that helped me in my time of need.

Sterngard Friegen

Re: wow, what a year

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:58 pm

:bighug:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 pm

:bighug:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:27 pm

What a beautiful story!

A homeless man once told me that the worst part about being homeless was being invisible - people just walked past pretending he didn't even exist. So no doubt you helped them twice, once with the gloves and again by recognising their humanity.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:14 pm

sad-cafe wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:53 pm

I know it isn't much but it was what I could do.
You did more than most.

Thank you.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:20 pm

My knees need replaced, my hands are slowly failing to work correctly. My eyes are failing and I can't walk very far. But I'm alive and happy, so I got that going for me.

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:34 pm

John Thomas8 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:20 pm
My knees need replaced, my hands are slowly failing to work correctly. My eyes are failing and I can't walk very far. But I'm alive and happy, so I got that going for me.
My grandpa's answer in his later years to the question "How are you?" "Still kickin'; Not too high." Having reached that age myself with assists from CABG (bypass) and Cardioverter implant surgery, I have a much better understanding of what he meant!

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:42 am

What a year it has been, for sure. So many here had health issues, rotten luck, loss of family members, financial hardships and there was the loss of FB members. We are living under the noxious cloud of an administration seemingly determined to ruin all that is good about our country.

I am a Dollar General gal, a place in my neighborhood which serves a very underserved community. The nearly empty shopping center where it is located draws people who are homeless. Last week I stopped and sat down with a younger woman who was clearly homeless and had been badly beaten (the boyfriend is in jail facing serious felony charges for the baseball attack). We hung out in a little alcove and had some cheese and crackers and Gatorade. A woman stopped her car and asked if she could get us anything...food, feminine products? Anything? The young woman asked for a dollar and bought a Swisher's Sweet. She showed me her court paperwork from the injunction hearing that morning which had a victim's resource list. She could go to a woman's shelter where she would have housing, shower, be able.to get clothes and counseling. She did not want to go because she would not be able to smoke or drink, she said she is an alcoholic and cannot see herself without her beer.

I have no judgements because I know how difficult it is to stop drinking even when there is a.rood, warm bed, safety and support. To expect someone who sleeps on cardboard, has no way to shower or eat decent food to face a day naked must be daunting. As I have stopped and visited with her a few.times I realize that we never know what leads someone to homelessness and that simple kindnesses are few and far between for many.

Gloves, a nice goody bag of personal care items including baby wipes, some.fresh clothes or a travel blanket. I also bought a Christmas card and a stamp so she could send her 4-year old daughter a message of love.. I wonder how bad an addiction is that she cannot find her way back for her little girl. But she is still a human being and I cannot just walk on by.

I am.grateful for many things this year. For the friends I have met on this forum, both in cybersonky space and in person. Good eggs. Kept me.going, made space.for me and "learned" me a lot about gobs of things.

In closing, WHERE IS PAUL LENTZ?!?!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:09 am

To sad-cafe and Patagoniagirl, many thanks for your kindness to the homeless. Each person has a gift to help others. I help homeless animals. We have adopted 40+ over the years. They mostly found us through the invisible to humans flashing signs which said, "Safe home this way."

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:02 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:09 am
To sad-cafe and Patagoniagirl, many thanks for your kindness to the homeless. Each person has a gift to help others. I help homeless animals. We have adopted 40+ over the years. They mostly found us through the invisible to humans flashing signs which said, "Safe home this way."
:clap: :clap: :clap: :bighug: :lovestruck: To all of you!

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “The Lounge”