Hijack this thread

WriteItDown

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by WriteItDown » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:58 pm

Regarding the eyeworms, veterinarians see them a lot in large animals and we just pick them out. However this can be a challenge since they are photophobic and, when you shine a light in the eye to see them to get them out they dive under the eyelids or nictitating membrane (third eyelid) and hide. Probably why the woman in the article had to have more than one removal session. A veterinarian would have just put paralyzing drops in the eye and flushed them out.

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:12 pm

I am so sorry about the C. dif infection. I too came down with it while in hospital. Apparently the bacterium is a microbe in the normal gut but is kept in check by the other intestinal flora until the body is stressed and then it multiplies and does its dirty deed. :sick: :sick: Drink lots of water and take potent probiotics along with the antibiotics. Feel better soon.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 am

Estiveo wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:51 pm
TollandRCR wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:16 pm
Still in hospital, now with C. diff infection. I think I had this before being admitted.
:bighug:
:bighug:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

vic

Post by vic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Something special for Sugar

Maybe I should have put it in Recipes (near the beginning) ... or Weather Alerts (in the middle) ... or Arts and Crafts (if you watch to the end)

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:16 pm

vic wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Maybe I should have put it in Recipes (near the beginning) ... or Weather Alerts (in the middle) ... or Arts and Crafts (if you watch to the end)
:lol: My Alexa came alive and said something toward the end of this video.

I have been known to say "thank you" to my Alexa, too, also. :bag:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:23 pm

Honest to gawd there is just so much corruption in the trump administration that it's difficult to decide where to stash stuff like the article below. Maybe there's a proper thread, but I don't know which one it would be. As usual, Hijack this Thread takes the hit. Shulkin is a trump appointee, duh. :torches:
Veterans Affairs chief Shulkin, staff misled ethics officials about European trip, report finds

Veterans Affairs Secretary David J. Shulkin’s chief of staff doctored an email and made false statements to create a pretext for taxpayers to cover expenses for the secretary’s wife on a 10-day trip to Europe last summer, the agency’s inspector general has found.

Vivieca Wright Simpson, VA’s third-most senior official, altered language in an email from an aide coordinating the trip to make it appear that Shulkin was receiving an award from the Danish government — then used the award to justify paying for his wife’s travel, Inspector General Michael J. Missal said in a report released Wednesday. VA paid more than $4,300 for her airfare.

The account of how the government paid travel expenses for the secretary’s wife is one finding in an unsparing investigation that concluded that Shulkin and his staff misled agency ethics officials and the public about key details of the trip. Shulkin also improperly accepted a gift of sought-after tickets to a Wimbledon tennis match, the investigation found, and directed an aide coordinating the trip to act as what the report called a “personal travel concierge” to him and his wife.

“Although the [inspector general’s office] cannot determine the value VA gained from the Secretary and his delegation’s three and a half days of meetings in Copenhagen and London at a cost of at least $122,334, the investigation revealed serious derelictions by VA personnel,” the watchdog concluded.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 0574f607fe

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:07 pm

That's hilarious Vic!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:33 pm

For Christmas my dad got me a nice book on the Vietnam War and the DVDs of the series from PBS.org.

Inside the box was a catalog of other stuff you can order from PBS.org.

And inside the catalog was this:

bobbleheads.jpg
I'm not really sure what he's pissed off about this time. :madguy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you're trying to say?
:think:

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:39 pm

What Happens When a Major World City Runs Dry?
As Cape Town counts down to Day Zero, South Africans worry about severe unrest and outbreaks of disease.

:snippity:

Daily water restrictions were slashed to 13 gallons per person on Feb. 1, with steep penalties for defaulters, as the city ramped up desperate efforts to stretch its reserves as far as possible. It is illegal to water gardens or wash cars with municipal water, and the city has encouraged residents to shower for less than a minute and limit toilet flushing.

In the meantime, residents asked to live on a sixth of the water the average American uses are finding new ways to cut their consumption, adjusting to what officials have termed “the new normal.”

“I’m flushing the toilet once a day and showering once a week,” says Razia Blanchard, 66, after waiting in line for two hours to fill water at a public spring below Table Mountain. “What more can I do? This is terrifying.”
http://foreignpolicy.com/2018/02/14/wha ... ign=buffer

vic

Post by vic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:52 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:16 pm
vic wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:06 pm

:lol: My Alexa came alive and said something toward the end of this video.

I have been known to say "thank you" to my Alexa, too, also. :bag:
I sometimes thank Siri.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:17 pm

Foggy wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:33 pm
For Christmas my dad got me a nice book on the Vietnam War and the DVDs of the series from PBS.org.

Inside the box was a catalog of other stuff you can order from PBS.org.

And inside the catalog was this:

bobbleheads.jpg

I'm not really sure what he's pissed off about this time. :madguy:
Hey - you can punch the guy in the face
► Show Spoiler

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:29 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:39 pm
As Cape Town counts down to Day Zero, South Africans worry about severe unrest and outbreaks of disease.

Daily water restrictions were slashed to 13 gallons per person on Feb. 1, with steep penalties for defaulters, as the city ramped up desperate efforts to stretch its reserves as far as possible. It is illegal to water gardens or wash cars with municipal water, and the city has encouraged residents to shower for less than a minute and limit toilet flushing.

In the meantime, residents asked to live on a sixth of the water the average American uses are finding new ways to cut their consumption, adjusting to what officials have termed “the new normal.”

“I’m flushing the toilet once a day and showering once a week,” says Razia Blanchard, 66, after waiting in line for two hours to fill water at a public spring below Table Mountain. “What more can I do? This is terrifying.”

I happen to be a pro at saving water. When you rely on rainwater for all of your household water, and you're in the middle of a drought, and then your tank springs a leak and you lose all of your water, you learn a thing or two about water rationing! The trick is to try to use all of your water twice (or more). The only water you can't reuse is the water you drink; but all of the rest of your water can be used again for something else. So, when you take a shower, stand in a bucket to collect all of the water. You can then use that water to mop the floors, and then to flush the toilet or water plants. The best way to take short showers is to time it for the commercial break in your favourite TV show. The best commercial break is the last commercial break of the show (because that's when they're about to bring it all to a resolution, so it's a super-short commercial break, and you really don't want to miss the resolution.) That gives you about 1.5 to 2 minutes to undress, take your shower, and dress again before the show comes back on. You can wash an entire days' dishes in about 3 inches of water. Wash your dishes in a pan and then use that water again. Dirty dishwater isn't good for much but you can still flush the toilet with it. Use a phosphate-free detergent for your laundry, collect all the rise water, and use it to water plants or flush the toilet. Later rinses can also be used to mop the floors, or, if you have a toploader washing machine, you can even use the water from later rinses to wash your next load of laundry. Thankfully we don't have to do all of this anymore; but that one summer when we had practically no water, it sure saved our skin!

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:37 pm

Some of the national parks' lodges have shower timers in the bathrooms. I beat the three minutes every time. And that's washing my hair, too.

I live on the East Coast, so I really can't ever remember any kind of drought, but I try to be a little careful about water use.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:46 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:39 pm

One of the Youtube clips I have seen in the past days show that they are using the drinking water reservoir to run off water for the farming industry rather than channeling it to th city. What does one want: drink bottled water at enormous cost or have no food at the end of the harvesting season.
(The clip did not go into details about what crop received water, for local consumption or export).

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:28 pm

I'm no stranger to desperate water situations. Quite a few years ago now, but at one point, my small, high desert city was within a couple of weeks of going completely dry. The monsoon rains arrived in the nick of time and since then, at enormous expense, the city has built better facilities for water harvesting and delivery. It's a relatively short-term solution, though. If the mountains in multiple states don't fill with snow, if the monsoon rains don't come, there is no water to harvest, efficiently or otherwise.

Water is expensive here, and the more you use, the more per gallon you pay. That is as it should be. Still, water is too cheap, even at the highest level of usage. You can also be fined for a leaky faucet, a leaky toilet, etc. The city gives away low-flow toilets to replace old, high-water usage toilets, grass lawns are banned, swimming pools, car washing strictly regulated. But if there is no source of water due to climate change, efficiency of delivery is meaningless. If you haven't lived in a desert climate, you won't know what it is like to have water on your mind every single time you turn on a tap, take a shower, flush a toilet. You fret about every drop of water that you use. And reuse.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Part of an interview of John Oliver with UK's Sky News

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:51 pm

Your tax dollars at work. And special bonus, stealing money from veterans!
Walter Shaub‏Verified account
@waltshaub

In a message to a VA staffer whom @SecShulkin effectively turned into his wife's footman, the wife explained her preference as to the Roman baths:

"Would want to do baths not just tour."

No word on whether Servant was able to acquire the requisite time-traveling DeLorean.

Servant wrote, “Everything from Trip Advisor to the actual website has the Roman Baths being ruins, and you aren’t able to get in them. It’s more of like walking through ruins." Lady Shulkin replied:

“Call me later but i dont think this will work."

Uh oh, Servant. Uh oh!

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:23 pm

I didn't post this in the Another Shooting thread because I can't bring myself to put anything on that thread that is even remotely amusing. The Youtube below, courtesy of JJ MacNabb, is a training video of the Republic of Florida, the group that at first claimed the Parkland shooter as one of their own. Put your coffee mug down.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Jebus, those guys are scary :daydream:

¡Qué vergüenza!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:26 pm

Addie wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:50 pm
Jebus, those guys are scary :daydream:
They are in dire need of a babysitter, let's send them a Marines drill instructor :lol:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:33 pm

The perfect embodiment of losers. Unfortunately, it's these kinds of losers who are doing so much damage to the country today.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:07 pm

This young man from the North Fork is so talented in so many ways that it is scary. Expect big things from him. :thumbs:

https://patch.com/new-york/riverhead/yo ... ontent=aol

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:35 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:23 pm
I didn't post this in the Another Shooting thread because I can't bring myself to put anything on that thread that is even remotely amusing. The Youtube below, courtesy of JJ MacNabb, is a training video of the Republic of Florida, the group that at first claimed the Parkland shooter as one of their own. Put your coffee mug down.

When the music started, at first I thought it was Cows With Guns.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:19 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:23 pm

:rotflmao: The new world order fears five out of shape bubbas who need frequent shady rest stops on their leisurely walk to the Circle K for slim jims and slurpees. And I love their military equipment. Nothing says prepared for war like walking single file carrying a plastic gallon jug while wearing dark jeans and t-shirts in the mellow Florida climate.

"Cosmic apotheosis wears off faster than salvia." --Rick Sanchez

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:22 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:19 pm

:rotflmao: The new world order fears five out of shape bubbas who need frequent shady rest stops on their leisurely walk to the Circle K for slim jims and slurpees. And I love their military equipment. Nothing says prepared for war like walking single file carrying a plastic gallon jug while wearing dark jeans and t-shirts in the mellow Florida climate.
Note that they discuss how old (maybe even 30!) one of their members is.

Return to “The Lounge”