Hijack this thread

TollandRCR

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:58 pm

V, I sincerely hope that Mrs. V is already up and taking those required walks.

Just a note to thank everyone who posts at 45 Cartoons TrumpToons - Toons Only Please! On some days, it takes two or three cartoons for me to overcome the glum.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:44 pm

The break room TV channel has been changed to ESPN. Many people had complained about Faux news being the only channel available. The HR manager keeps the remote and the TV is embedded in a cabinet in such a way that the buttons are not reachable to manually change the station without a screwdriver. I guess they got tired of all the complaints and now it's on ESPN.

:cheer1: :cheer:

Not that I am crazy about ESPN but it beats the hell out of Faux news.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:22 pm

RVInit wrote:The break room TV channel has been changed to ESPN. Many people had complained about Faux news being the only channel available. The HR manager keeps the remote and the TV is embedded in a cabinet in such a way that the buttons are not reachable to manually change the station without a screwdriver. I guess they got tired of all the complaints and now it's on ESPN.

:cheer1: :cheer:

Not that I am crazy about ESPN but it beats the hell out of Faux news.
This is actually a thing. Companies that let employees watch or listen in the workplace almost always subject them to conservative programming, because it's an opportunity to indoctrinate their workers in the right political outlook. It's one of the reasons why the blue-collar rurals are so conservative.

Next time you're in a small rural town, listen/watch what's being played in the local bar, cafe, or shops. Pay extra attention to the ads. You'll hear ads by right-wing advocacy groups and think tanks. Many of those ads are outright propaganda. You'll be astonished - and then you'll understand why so many people living in those areas hold those beliefs (and hold liberals in such disdain). They're being told this stuff over and over by seemingly reputable and respectable sources; they have no reason to doubt any of it. They're receiving targeted programming, including ads, that you've probably never heard in a major urban/blue location.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:53 pm

DejaMoo wrote: This is actually a thing. Companies that let employees watch or listen in the workplace almost always subject them to conservative programming, because it's an opportunity to indoctrinate their workers in the right political outlook. It's one of the reasons why the blue-collar rurals are so conservative.

Next time you're in a small rural town, listen/watch what's being played in the local bar, cafe, or shops. Pay extra attention to the ads. You'll hear ads by right-wing advocacy groups and think tanks. Many of those ads are outright propaganda. You'll be astonished - and then you'll understand why so many people living in those areas hold those beliefs (and hold liberals in such disdain). They're being told this stuff over and over by seemingly reputable and respectable sources; they have no reason to doubt any of it. They're receiving targeted programming, including ads, that you've probably never heard in a major urban/blue location.
You are so right. I have spent the majority of my adult life in rural areas (I am a biologist). I prefer living out in the country. And you are right about how companies use TV to indoctrinate. All of the Dr offices in my area also are always tuned in to Faux, as are many other businesses, bars, etc. This company resisted changing the channel for months in spite of large numbers of employees apparently complaining and asking for a change. I am really surprised they caved, to be honest.
--- George W Bush

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:07 pm

Well, this is embarrassing...

Man gets stuck inside ATM room, rescued by note
CORPUS CHRISTI -
"We have a once in a lifetime situation that you will probably never see or hear again," said Corpus Christi Police Senior Officer Richard Olden.

Officer Olden is talking about the rescue of a contractor that got stuck fixing an ATM room in the 400 block of Mesquite Street at the Bank of America. "He leaves his phone in his truck, he's installing a new lock on the door, and he gets locked inside the building where the ATM is."

Since the ATM still works, people were stopping by to get cash, and the contractor decided to slip out notes through the receipt slot stating, "Please help. I'm stuck in here, and I don't have my phone. Please call my boss."

"We come out here, and sure enough we can hear a little voice coming from the machine. So we are thinking this is a joke. It's got to be a joke," Olden said.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:26 pm

https://youtu.be/uWd6XgBVIcg
Alex Jones remained as a folk artist

phelana

Post by phelana » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:45 pm

Dallasite wrote:So I've kind of become a Twitter junkie lately. It's amazing how lost one can get on that media platform when you have trouble sleeping, lol. If anyone is interested, you can follow me, @ELK03inDallas. I only have 5 followers right now but I pretend I have more. And I get very excited with the occasional retweet or like! :dance:
I spend more time on Twitter too.
Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:53 am

http://www.kiro7.com/news/eastside-news ... /562675196
KIRKLAND, Wash. - One person was killed when they fell off or out of a vehicle on southbound I-405 in Kirkland early Monday.

State troopers say the victim was either hanging out of the sunroof of a light-colored BMW or was car surfing on top of the vehicle when the car hit a guardrail.

The passenger was then ejected and killed.

Police say the vehicle continued to drive southbound after the victim was ejected at 3:40 a.m.

Troopers said they have found the BMW involved in the incident. A K-9 team is searching for the driver.

Multiple lanes are blocked at Northeast 85th Street. Only the HOV lane is open during the investigation.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:23 am

Oh man, Delta is toast.

Not only are they refunding Skanky Ann Coulter's $30 she paid for an aisle seat, they've lost the all-important "psychobitch" segment of the market.

On my phone, no links. Oops.
If dogs run free, why not we?

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Post by Dallasite » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:15 pm

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!
I got my first big-time Twitter follower!!!!!!!!!! And it is a Congressman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I guess Rep Brendan Boyle (PA13) may not quite be at the level of Pelosi or Schumer, but it's cool to me to have an actual officeholder following me.
"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:49 pm

It's alive....still.

Film at 11:00

SueDB & Me SueDB
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Post by Dallasite » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:00 pm

It's a very stressful job. What's the suicide rate for security robots?
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:35 pm

:thumbs:
Dallasite wrote:OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!
I got my first big-time Twitter follower!!!!!!!!!! And it is a Congressman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I guess Rep Brendan Boyle (PA13) may not quite be at the level of Pelosi or Schumer, but it's cool to me to have an actual officeholder following me.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Watching fireflies while Mrs V waits for her cousin so they can binge watch Broadchurch.
:-D
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:20 pm

Volkonski wrote:Watching fireflies while Mrs V waits for her cousin so they can binge watch Broadchurch.
:-D
:thumbs:

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:24 pm

So, while I was at work yesterday, I went to check on the goings on here....

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:02 am

Flatpointhigh wrote:So, while I was at work yesterday, I went to check on the goings on here....
Question to Foggy: are you having the luxury of an own ip address or are you sharing it with other virtual machines on the same server? Check with your provider, someone else may be sabotaging without intent.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:51 am

I have my own virtual server and IP address. There's no malware anywhere on the site or on the server. I'll contact my hosting provider later today. Grr. :madguy:
If dogs run free, why not we?

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:30 am

I was looking for a better place to put this, but I guess this will do.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/haste ... ign=buffer
Former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert has been released from prison in Minnesota and transferred to a Chicago re-entry facility, according to Federal Bureau of Prisons records Tuesday.

Hastert was sentenced to 15 months in prison in April 2016 in banking violations case that revealed accusations he had sexually abused teenagers while coaching wrestling at a suburban Chicago high school.

Hastert is no longer at the Minnesota federal prison where he was serving his sentence, but is at a Chicago residential re-entry management office, the online records show. His release date is listed as Aug. 16.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:49 am

I hope Hastert gets what he deserves, the same as some sick schmuck from the suburbs who did the same. But I'm afraid he will be handled with kid gloves because he's in ill health and because he's an old, once-powerful white man, and then his rehab team will try gather momentum with a whisper campaign about railroading and mob mentality and vindictive teens, when it's been only him, all along.
Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Foggy wrote:I have my own virtual server and IP address. There's no malware anywhere on the site or on the server. I'll contact my hosting provider later today. Grr. :madguy:
I know that. OTOH, infowars is totes unreachable...

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:07 am

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... 6?cmpid=sf
In the spring of 2016, a longtime Washington operative pulled aside French Hill during a trip to Moscow and introduced the conservative Arkansas congressman to two Russians who are now at the center of a firestorm over the activities of Donald Trump Jr.

In the brief encounter, which took place two months before their now-infamous meeting with the president’s son in Trump Tower, the jet-setting pair proposed the same trade they would soon be pitching all over Washington: Lift the sanctions on Russia, and we’ll make sure Americans can adopt Russian babies once again.

Paul Behrends, the operative who set up that previously unreported Moscow meeting, has worked in security and foreign policy circles in Washington for decades while keeping a low profile, but he has never been far from intrigue.

Long before he took up his most recent post as an aide to California Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, Behrends worked alongside the Afghan mujahideen, helped the future Blackwater founder Erik Prince get an internship on Capitol Hill (later, he navigated the security firm through the political fallout from a 2007 massacre of civilians in Iraq) and served as chief lobbyist for a firm at the heart of the Jack Abramoff scandal. More recently, he has become a confidant of the pro-Trump Silicon Valley billionaire Peter Thiel and served as the Capitol Hill point-man for the right-wing government of Hungary.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:29 pm

I listened to OJ's parole hearing. I totally agree with Jeffrey Toobin regarding OJ's statements. I think OJ should have just STFU. From my IANAL, inexperienced viewpoint, I believe he does qualify for parole. But one statement of his really stood out to me. I don't remember his exact words, but he characterized himself as having lived a "conflict-free life". What? How many times did Nicole Simpson call 911 after getting beaten up by this man?

Interesting note though. When asked about what he thought was the most valuable (they may have used a different word) class he had while in prison, his own assessment is that a class in violence-free conflict resolution is what he thinks will have the most influence on him and keeping himself out of trouble.

So, a man who has had a "conflict free life" considers the class that taught him how to resolve conflict without violence is the class where he learned the most? Telling.
--- George W Bush

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:47 pm

I am livid.

:madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/20/worl ... &smtyp=cur
Two years after Cecil the Lion was killed in a national park in Zimbabwe, sparking international outrage, his son Xanda was killed in a trophy hunt.
:madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:58 pm

pipistrelle wrote:I am livid.

:madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/20/worl ... &smtyp=cur
Two years after Cecil the Lion was killed in a national park in Zimbabwe, sparking international outrage, his son Xanda was killed in a trophy hunt.
:madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy:
:madguy: and :(

Return to “The Lounge”