What are you reading lately?

Mikedunford

Re: What are you reading lately?

Post #776 by Mikedunford » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi.

I wrote to one of our other Fogbowzer SciFi fans today in a PM and said this:

Just finished it.

It's not about climate, climate deniers, and big business; or is it? Well, it is about the last. And also about the importance of peer review in the scientific community.

It's well worth pushing to the top of your list.

Also filled with a lot of Scalzi humor with some echoes of Heinlein.

It will be a Hugo nominee -- assuming the new nomination system works.

I'm looking forward to a sequel.

I pretty much have liked everything Scalzi has written, except Redshirts -- ugh. And anybody who sticks it to the abominable "Vox Day" is a hero in my book.

I enjoyed Collapsing Empire. And my copy has "Book 1" on the spine, so I'd guess that you've got reasonable hope for a sequel.

I found Redshirts to be a tremendously rewarding read, but that was almost entirely because it helped me get a better grip on some concepts related to my current major legal research project. As a book, I wouldn't give it an "ugh," but I definitely wouldn't give it more than a "meh." The incorporation of the author into the story felt a little Mary Jane-y, and the use of "Coda" and "Coda II" for the later sections felt like an awkward and unnecessary shour-out to Heinlein's Time Enough for Love (which I really have to get around to re-reading one of these days).

I've been reading my way through some of the more recent books in the 1632 series, but (for various reasons) it's starting to feel more like work, so I'm looking to shift once I get through my current read (1635: The Papal Stakes).

I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any. Or I could just go browse at Forbidden Planet on my lunch break.

1 Cranch 137, 177

Foggy

Post #777 by Foggy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Mikedunford wrote:I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.

I ordered one today that will be next on my reading list, The Genius of Birds by Jennifer Ackerman. Heard her on NPR today talking about it.

Reminder to self: Do not use the phrase "bird brain" anymore. Birds are smartypantsers.

Cleanup in Thread #218!

maydijo

Post #778 by maydijo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:41 pm

I read (and loved) Do Not Say We Have Nothing, by Madeline Thien, on holidays. It is a beautiful novel that covers much of Chinese history in the 29th century.

Chilidog

Post #779 by Chilidog » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Foggy wrote:
Mikedunford wrote:I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.

I ordered one today that will be next on my reading list, The Genius of Birds by Jennifer Ackerman. Heard her on NPR today talking about it.

Reminder to self: Do not use the phrase "bird brain" anymore. Birds are smartypantsers.

They are also licentious little bastards

TollandRCR

Post #780 by TollandRCR » Mon May 08, 2017 11:46 am

maydijo wrote:I read (and loved) Do Not Say We Have Nothing, by Madeline Thien, on holidays. It is a beautiful novel that covers much of Chinese history in the 29th century.

20th century? Or are they already that far ahead?

I tell my intro sociology classes that until the discovery of the silver mountains of South America and the subsequent establishment of Manila as the great trading port, Europe was just a stub on the great Eurasian continent. The wealth of that world was in Asia. They choose not to believe me.

I am now reading The Last Librarian: An AOI Thriller (The Justar Journal Book 1) by Brandt Legg. I won't say much about it except to ask "Where do you think the last public library on Earth was?" at the end of the century in which humanity was almost wiped out by a plague. (Hint: it's in the same city as the last bookstore on Earth.) It turns out that libraries are major threats to totalitarian regimes, even those that are supposedly benign.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

maydijo

Post #781 by maydijo » Mon May 08, 2017 5:14 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
maydijo wrote:I read (and loved) Do Not Say We Have Nothing, by Madeline Thien, on holidays. It is a beautiful novel that covers much of Chinese history in the 29th century.

20th century? Or are they already that far ahead?

I tell my intro sociology classes that until the discovery of the silver mountains of South America and the subsequent establishment of Manila as the great trading port, Europe was just a stub on the great Eurasian continent. The wealth of that world was in Asia. They choose not to believe me.

I am now reading The Last Librarian: An AOI Thriller (The Justar Journal Book 1) by Brandt Legg. I won't say much about it except to ask "Where do you think the last public library on Earth was?" at the end of the century in which humanity was almost wiped out by a plague. (Hint: it's in the same city as the last bookstore on Earth.) It turns out that libraries are major threats to totalitarian regimes, even those that are supposedly benign.

Whoops. I need to be more careful with my typing! 20th century - from the war between the Communists and the Nationalists until 2016

My mom was a librarian. I always knew it was a cover for more nefarious activities.

Maybenaut

Post #782 by Maybenaut » Thu May 18, 2017 4:00 pm

Reading (or, rather listening to the audiobook) The Handmaid's Tale. Narrated by Claire Danes. Very, very good (I'm about two hours in of 12 so far). There was discussion of the TV series on the whatchya watchin' thread, and I decided to listen to the book before I watched the TV series. Oh my god it is so fucking scary right now. "Timely" doesn't begin to cover it.

Clairez

Post #783 by Clairez » Fri May 19, 2017 2:37 pm

I am almost done reading Sapiens: A brief history of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari.

His book is very thought provoking. I had taken his history course on Coursera and was so enchanted by his ideas and speaking style that I just had to read his book.

WriteItDown

Post #784 by WriteItDown » Sat May 27, 2017 11:28 am

I just read The Boys in the Boat. It was excellent. It was about the U.S. Olympic rowing team in Hitler's olympics.

Return to “The Lounge”