The Stupid - It Burns!

RoadScholar

Re: The Stupid - It Burns!

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:24 pm

A Michaelangelo, that sculptor was not.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:15 am

It's appalling from an aesthetic point if nothing else, and there is so much more. Whatever they paid for it was way too much.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:27 am

The coverup is almost as bad. What COULD they be doing under there?

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:37 am

:shock: :o :doh:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

dunstvangeet

Post by dunstvangeet » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:05 am

Actual Craigslist Ad:
Non-creepy male seeks female roommate (18-35) to share a place. Rent would range from free to $250 max depending on arrangement. Great and unique money-making opportunity for the right one. Those open to adult entertainment performance gigs are preferred. All types considered.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva ... 08043.html

Now, I personally would think that this would be extremely creepy, but he said that he's a non-creepy male. I'm all confused...

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:51 am

Yeah. He lied.

Bigly.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:55 am

“Now, I’m no racist, but (insert seriously racist remark here).”

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:54 pm

I didn't know where else to post this. :bag:

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Whip

Post by Whip » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 pm

that's half the LaToilet brand. the widder can cash in now.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:17 pm

Whip wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 pm
:lol:

But what if one of these deep pocket phone manufacturers decides to sue the Finicum family for stealing their icon? :bag:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Whip

Post by Whip » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:05 pm

RVInit wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:17 pm
Whip wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 pm
:lol:

But what if one of these deep pocket phone manufacturers decides to sue the Finicum family for stealing their icon? :bag:
touche

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:26 am

Just keep him away from the water.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

vic

Post by vic » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:30 am

GreatGrey wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:26 am

That's an oldie (but goodie). It ran in the East Oregonian on June 5, 2015. Here's their follow-up mea culpa:

http://www.eastoregonian.com/eo/editori ... ng-mistake
:snippity:
There is also every print journalist’s worst nightmare, the thing that will wake you up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night. That’s realizing you’ve made a mistake, large or small, and it is now being distributed to thousands of readers and all you can do is lay there sweating in your bed.

And now, with the Internet and all, that mistake can go wider than ever before.

Such was the case in the weekend edition of the East Oregonian, where we reported on the young amphibious — ahem, ambidextrous — pitcher recently called up by the Oakland Athletics.
:snippity:
They illustrated it with a very appropriate image:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:26 am

GreatGrey wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:26 am

https:// twitter.com/YouHadOneJ0B/status/942975277029736449
One ambitious journalist :lol:

Just keep him far away from Washington DC and from the guy with the bestest and bigliest words there :blackeye:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:25 am

Russia lost satellites because it used coordinates for wrong launch site

BY CHRISTOPHER BRENNAN NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Thursday, December 28, 2017, 7:41 AM

A human error that gave the coordinates for a launch pad more than 4,000 miles away is being blamed for the loss of valuable satellites last month.

Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin told state media Wednesday that problems from the space agency Roskosmos were to blame for the quick disappearance of the Soyuz rocket carrying devices from Russia, Europe and the United States.

It flew off from the Vostochny Cosmodrome in Russia's Far East, though the coordinates for its takeoff were for Baikonur, the more often-used launch site in Kazakhstan, he said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/r ... -1.3723747

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:26 pm

Getting used to a prison cell in a cell phone store
On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 11:50 am, a black male, later identified as John Bell, entered the Latino Cellular, located at 6710 Hillcroft Avenue, in Houston, Texas. The male walked around the counter and told an employee to open the cash register. The employee refused to cooperate with the suspect and walked out of the store along with the other customers. Once outside, the employee locked the door, keeping the suspect from leaving and then called for police.

While police were enroute to the scene, the suspect shoots at the door lock in an attempt to escape, but was unsuccessful. The suspect then decides to pray, with no avail, and finally realizes that he’s going to jail and apologizes, which can all be heard on audio.

The suspect was taken into custody without incident by Houston Police officers and later plead to five years TDCJ (prison) with the Harris County District Attorney’s office on December 18, 2017. The suspect was also on deferred adjudication for twelve years from another aggravated robbery that occurred on July 31, 2015.

http://www.houstonpolicerobbery.org/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:57 pm

Taiwan to become the next US territory? :liar:
Taiwan recalls 200,000 passports after including photo of wrong airport
31/12/2017
Newshub staff

Taiwan has been forced to recall 200,000 new passports because they used an image of the wrong airport.

The redesigned passports mistakenly used a picture of Washington Dulles International Airport in Virginia on their inner papers, instead of Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport.

The nation's head of consular affairs resigned over the blunder and a second official was demoted.

Taiwan's foreign ministry has halted distribution of the new passports, which had already been printed at a cost of several million dollars.

The 285 passports that have already been given out are being recalled.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/201 ... rport.html
also:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42490306
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/12/2 ... rport.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:36 pm

The infamous underpass, now they even got red lights to stop overheight trucks, but no eyes for traffic signals :(

PS. with all those continuous crashes on a route that obviously is taken by many high trucks, why don't they do the obvious and lower the street level below the train viaduct and adjust the connecting roads?

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:49 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:36 pm
PS. with all those continuous crashes on a route that obviously is taken by many high trucks, why don't they do the obvious and lower the street level below the train viaduct and adjust the connecting roads?
Full underpass clearance specifications call for 15 feet, minimum. They would have to go down four feet at a minimum. At this point you run into drainage issues. I would bet that the tracks were at the street level once upon a time. Someone decided that raising the rails would keep the road clear whenever a train was passing by. The problem was they decided to do it on the cheap. The tracks should have been raised at least four more feet, but they looked at the cost.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:56 pm

Watching this compilation of 11foot8 crashes it seems that a lot of rental trucks are involved. Guess those renters don't bother to learn how high their truck is before they drive it.

I suspect that the roadway hasn't been lowered for reasons of money or drainage.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:29 pm

In their defense, I would suspect that most people who do not habitually drive something large, like a high clearance vehicle that they really have no sense of just how much vehicle there is over their heads. They are used to driving low profile vehicles and that is where their mind set is. Their kinesthesia does not tell them that there is something solid and hard coming at their heads, top of vehicle. One of the reasons I always twitch when someone says "Oh, I'll just rent a truck, etc" I just know it won't end well if there are overhead obstacles around. Have seen it too often.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:45 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:49 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Full underpass clearance specifications call for 15 feet, minimum. They would have to go down four feet at a minimum. At this point you run into drainage issues. I would bet that the tracks were at the street level once upon a time. Someone decided that raising the rails would keep the road clear whenever a train was passing by. The problem was they decided to do it on the cheap. The tracks should have been raised at least four more feet, but they looked at the cost.
A 4 foot difference is quite a lot to get full compliance. From the video clips getting extra 1.5foot deeper would avoid most of the accidents. As Mr. V. mentioned, drainage may also be a problem, although I had the impression that the ground is somewhat deeper at the other side of the tracks. But with this administration not wanting to invest into infrastructure, I guess the rental truck drivers will have to continue to pay the companies for new trucks.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:05 pm

Per 11foot8's website's FAQ -
Can’t the road be lowered?

That would be prohibitively expensive because a sewer main runs just a few feet below the road bed. That sewer main also dates back about a hundred years and, again, at the time there were no real standards for minimum clearance for railroad underpasses.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:20 pm

The tracks could be raised, but that would be expensive. You can’t just build a hump at the overpass. The railroad might be willing to raise the tracks, but not at their own expense.

When I took my CDL exam years ago the examiner has this bad habit of asking me what the clearance was of the underpass I just went under. It’s easy to ignore these signs when you’ve never had to watch before.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:32 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
The infamous underpass, now they even got red lights to stop overheight trucks, but no eyes for traffic signals :(

I came upon a U-Haul or Ryder truck stuck under our rail underpass. It hadn't peeled the roof off, but it scraped and couldn't be moved. The sheepish driver was letting air out of the tires, which IIRC worked. I can't remember if the police ever showed up; usually after an incident like that someone wants to make sure the overpass isn't damaged. But I don't see how it's difficult to make a note to self when driving a truck to be aware of heights, especially since non-standard overpasses usually have warning signs everywhere. I'm guessing truck rental companies probably give renters info on it as well.

Return to “Teh Funny Stuffs”