All Dogz Worthy

BFB

All Dogz Worthy

Post by BFB » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:49 am

Sweet potatoes are good for a doggie's upset digestive track and for diarrhea.^^^^ This and the yogurt.Also, sometimes I mix about a quarter-teaspoon of carob powder with some water when my guys have the runs. That seems to help.Antibiotics can also make puppies nauseated, which translates into not eating, which is not good. So I have had success with a quarter-tab of Pepcid (My guy is about 12 pounds). It soothes the nausea and doesn't affect his appetite.

TollandRCR

All Dogz Worthy

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:18 am

Pumpkin works for cats in the same way, provides nutrition, and seems very tasty to them. The Soulistic brand adds "pumpkin soup" to some of its products, but I doubt this would help with a diarrhea problem -- no fiber. Maybe it also with would be beneficial to dogs -- but check.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Highlands

All Dogz Worthy

Post by Highlands » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I can't get my poor doggie to eat anything right now, so I'm not really sure what to do. We have a call into the vet, so hopefully he has a few ideas for us.
If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

listeme

All Dogz Worthy

Post by listeme » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Sweet potatoes are good for a doggie's upset digestive track and for diarrhea.Yep, as is plain canned pumpkin (which is often easier to use; you can just plop a glop into the bowl). Last year it was hard to find, but I think the supply has returned to normal. But sweet potato is great, too.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Highlands

All Dogz Worthy

Post by Highlands » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:44 am

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I can't get my poor doggie to eat anything right now, so I'm not really sure what to do. We have a call into the vet, so hopefully he has a few ideas for us.Update:Vet told us to give doggie Metamucil capsules and yogurt through a syringe. We gave Cheyenne about 1/2 of the small containers of yogurt tonight and one of the capsules. We'll keep doing this for a few days or more, until her condition gets better. Her breathing is much improved, and I think once we get her tummy issues under control, she'll be on the mend.Thanks for all of your thoughts!
If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

BFB

All Dogz Worthy

Post by BFB » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:12 am

I think once we get her tummy issues under control, she'll be on the mend.I agree. Like I said upthread, if they have an upset tummy and won't eat, things tend to snowball. Hope everything works out for you and her.

TollandRCR

All Dogz Worthy

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:48 pm

I have an Italian friend who is very attached to her sons' blue-eyed Siberian Husky, who is 14 years old (apparently old for a Husky). He was the runt of the litter and is still smallish. He has a ruptured disk, for which surgery is being considered, and a bad hip, which may be degenerative. The dog is on steroids and pain-killers; not surprisingly, this once very energetic dog now sleeps all day long. This does not sound good to meAny advice or experience would be appreciated. I know that logically this post goes in No Catz Allowed, but there seem to be more Dawgs posts in this thread.(Yes, there are Italians (and French-Canadians) in CT, just as there are Portuguese in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.)
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

verbalobe

All Dogz Worthy

Post by verbalobe » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:22 pm

I know that logically this post goes in No Catz Allowed, but there seem to be more Dawgs posts in this thread.I am (similarly?) confused. I would post more about our dogs and cats, if only I understood where to post.

Is "No [*] Allowed" a sarcastic heading?

SueDB

All Dogz Worthy

Post by SueDB » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 pm

I know that logically this post goes in No Catz Allowed, but there seem to be more Dawgs posts in this thread.I am (similarly?) confused. I would post more about our dogs and cats, if only I understood where to post.

Is "No [*] Allowed" a sarcastic heading?In a sense, yes as the Boggle seems to be unconventional.

It is just there are folks here who flaunt convention (Including me.) You have to keep your sense of humor --> --> -xx -xx
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

raicha

All Dogz Worthy

Post by raicha » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:27 pm

I dunno. The very first post in the thread starts the confusion. Sumthin' about keepin' the kittehs outta here. And then most of the posts that follow are about dogz.Huh.I woulda just stuck with the "no catz" thread and let everybody run free.Yeah, me The off-topic Nazi. I would do that.

esseff44

All Dogz Worthy

Post by esseff44 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:02 pm

Does the dog have an appetite? an awareness of surroundings? an interest in exercise when awake? Is the dog continent? My dog Chester was failing for about a year and I knew his time was running out. He had a horrible skin condition that nothing made better. One afternoon, I saw him have a seizure and after that he was lost interest and awareness. It was time and the vet agreed it was time and the best thing to do. I still miss him but I feel he had as good a life as I could provide for him and for as long as he could be a dog. They have their sense of dignity, too. They let you know when it's time to let go.

TollandRCR

All Dogz Worthy

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Does the dog have an appetite? an awareness of surroundings? an interest in exercise when awake? Is the dog continent? My dog Chester was failing for about a year and I knew his time was running out. He had a horrible skin condition that nothing made better. One afternoon, I saw him have a seizure and after that he was lost interest and awareness. It was time and the vet agreed it was time and the best thing to do. I still miss him but I feel he had as good a life as I could provide for him and for as long as he could be a dog. They have their sense of dignity, too. They let you know when it's time to let go.Thanks. This may be the advice that I give my friend. From what she says, his life has slowed to a slow crawl. He is aware of his surroundings in the brief times that he is awake, and he is eating a bit. He has not yet had seizures or anything else more dramatic than constant pain, and the pain-killers are working (maybe too well). It could be that the surgery to repair the ruptured disk would bring him out of his misery and give him a while longer as an active dog. But 14 years old is indeed old for a Husky. The breed book says 12-15 years life span. I've wondered if his small size has contributed to his longevity, as it appears to do in some other animals that are small for their species. :^o

MaineSkeptic

All Dogz Worthy

Post by MaineSkeptic » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:50 pm

We lost our beloved Golden Retriever about 6 weeks ago. She had been diagnosed a month or so earlier with hemangiosarcoma, an unfortunately common cancer in Goldens. Her spleen was consumed with it, and it was all but certain that it had spread.The dreadful thing about this cancer is that it affects the blood vessels, which rupture and lead to internal bleeding. The incidents can range in severity, from something barely noticeable to a severe enough blood loss to cause the dog to collapse -- and with the risk of a catastrophic internal hemorrhage, usually but not always fatal, which we were told more than once that we would not want to witness.We decided that our first priority was to try to avoid the catastrophic bleed, and our second was not to put the dog down while she seemed to have a good quality of life. So we opted for surgery and had the spleen removed, thinking that with only smaller tumors remaining in her, we had postponed the dreaded outcome and that maybe her cancer would appear in other ways that would make it clear to us that we didn't feel right preserving her in that state -- pain, for example, or breathing problems.She recovered well from surgery, but within three weeks she collapsed again, and this time her digestive system was a wreck. She dug herself a big hole in the garden, something she had never done before, and when we didn't get the message, she went into the woods where we could just see her from the house. As soon as we spotted her, she went a little deeper into the woods, where it was harder to find her. She did it again; and then wandered off where we couldn't find her. She had acted out the separation process for us.We finally understood, and we agreed that when we found her -- if we found her -- we would take her right to the veterinary clinic and say goodbye. And there she was, waiting for us. We put her in the car and held her till the end.She definitely told us when she was ready, and she kept us calm during a very difficult period. We miss her very much.

kate520

All Dogz Worthy

Post by kate520 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:04 am

I dunno. The very first post in the thread starts the confusion. Sumthin' about keepin' the kittehs outta here. And then most of the posts that follow are about dogz.Huh.I woulda just stuck with the "no catz" thread and let everybody run free.Yeah, me The off-topic Nazi. I would do that.I think Orly sneaked in here one night while Foggy was doing a backup and we were all sleeping and she stole a couple of commas, thus sowing confusion in the animal threads.The thread heads should readNo, Dogz Allowed for the doggy thread and No, Catz Allowed for the kitteh thread. See?
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Plutodog

All Dogz Worthy

Post by Plutodog » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:58 am

Tried me some reverse psychology on the cat people, I did. :(( Didn't work. [-(
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

GreatGrey

All Dogz Worthy

Post by GreatGrey » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:57 am

I dunno. The very first post in the thread starts the confusion. Sumthin' about keepin' the kittehs outta here. And then most of the posts that follow are about dogz.Huh.I woulda just stuck with the "no catz" thread and let everybody run free.Yeah, me The off-topic Nazi. I would do that.Catz are allowed everywhere, they respect no Greenies. It's a universal maxim.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Foggy

All Dogz Worthy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:58 am

I dunno. The very first post in the thread starts the confusion. Sumthin' about keepin' the kittehs outta here. And then most of the posts that follow are about dogz.Huh.I woulda just stuck with the "no catz" thread and let everybody run free.Yeah, me The off-topic Nazi. I would do that.I could merge the threads, and make it the Animal Hoomins Thread. :idea:
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

Plutodog

All Dogz Worthy

Post by Plutodog » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:39 am

Don't touch that dial, rooster! :boxing:
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

listeme

All Dogz Worthy

Post by listeme » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:47 am

I could merge the threads, and make it the Animal Hoomins Thread. :idea:I don't think there's a real problem to solve, is there? It's just a goofy pseudo-battle amongst real people and people who don't like cats (aka wrong people).
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

June bug

All Dogz Worthy

Post by June bug » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:33 pm

*snip*She definitely told us when she was ready, and she kept us calm during a very difficult period.We miss her very much.{{oh, Skep}} Although my heart broke, that was a wonderful story. How blessed you were to have such a special soul in your lives. Like you, Skep, we held our 12 year old Weimaraner as she slipped away. One of the nicest things our vet did was encourage us to bring her softest doggie pillow. We put her on it on the floor and all of us got down there with her.

interestedbystander

All Dogz Worthy

Post by interestedbystander » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:56 pm

Skep, I am so sorry. I was brought up with Goldens and they're wonderful companions. My Irish Terrier is struggling with cancer now, and I am so worried about knowing when the right time will be to say goodbye - I hope she will be able to tell me as well as your girl did. My vet will come to the house when the time comes. :cry:

MaineSkeptic

All Dogz Worthy

Post by MaineSkeptic » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:47 pm

Thank you both for your kind thoughts. It's still very hard, but we're reaching the point where we know that there will be another dog in our future when the right time and the right dog come around, and that brings some comfort.

TollandRCR

All Dogz Worthy

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:48 pm

...We finally understood, and we agreed that when we found her -- if we found her -- we would take her right to the veterinary clinic and say goodbye. And there she was, waiting for us. We put her in the car and held her till the end.She definitely told us when she was ready, and she kept us calm during a very difficult period. We miss her very much.I'm still thinking about your dog and how she told you what she had to do. It was wonderful that you could understand her.Someday, maybe soon, I may have to face that decision with 14-year-old Sammy the cat. The vet is always amazed at quarterly check-ups at how healthy he remains, despite increasing joint problems. In fact, the techs call him the miracle cat because of his complete recovery from diabetes.Sammy's favorite thing in all the world is to jump up on my bed (now assisted by stairs), come to the head of the bed, and snuggle up with his head on my pillow and his back to me. He starts purring once he lands on the bed. Often he licks my hand as he falls asleep. Cisco then comes to the head of the bed, usually to turn onto his back so his stomach can be thoroughly rubbed. Both cats are spoiled beyond belief.My hope is that when Sammy dies, he does it in his sleep cuddled next to me. I am not sure that I could stand euthanasia for yet another pet (two dogs). I admire you for being able to stick with your dog until the end.

MaineSkeptic

All Dogz Worthy

Post by MaineSkeptic » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:07 pm

I admire you for being able to stick with your dog until the end.Thank you. I was hoping the end would be soothing and comforting, but I was deeply traumatized. I had never before been in the company of a person or a pet as they died. We've never had kids. She was our first and so far only pet. From time to time those final moments haunt me.One source of some comfort is that sometimes I feel we made her live too long, and sometimes I feel we put her down too soon. The fact that I am troubled by both of those possibilities helps me remember that I was at least in the right ball park. One can never be certain.It's a hard responsibility to accept, but we owe it to those we love, those who have given us so much and depend on us to do right by them. You will do the right thing for Sammy, I am certain.

Walt Tuttle

All Dogz Worthy

Post by Walt Tuttle » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:18 am

Dang, seems to be something in my eye... :cry:Beautiful sentiments expressed...

Return to “Teh Funny Stuffs”