Post by kate520 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:10 am

I loved all those doggie videos!
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Lani

Re: All Dogz Worthy

Post by Lani » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:11 am

It’s Not Just Grain-Free: An Update on Diet-Associated Dilated Cardiomyopathy
http://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2018/11/d ... gQ4NLMQ7Wg
It’s not just grain-free. This does not appear to be just an issue with grain-free diets. I am calling the suspected diets, “BEG” diets – boutique companies, exotic ingredients, or grain-free diets. The apparent link between BEG diets and DCM may be due to ingredients used to replace grains in grain-free diets, such as lentils or chickpeas, but also may be due to other common ingredients commonly found in BEG diets, such as exotic meats, vegetables, and fruits. In addition, not all pet food manufacturers have the same level of nutritional expertise and quality control, and this variability could introduce potential issues with some products.
Long article, but in essence lack of taurine may be a problem, but isn't the cause of DCM. However, there is a relationship between DCM and "BEG" dog food.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

listeme

Post by listeme » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:18 am

We're going through a bunch of formulations for our Athena -- and some of them are grainfree, because that's what's available, which makes me more nervous about the boutique nonsense.

She is allergic to some somethings. We've discovered that one of the somethings is soy, which is relatively easy to eliminate, but there's at least another thing. It's a huge pain and the stress of other people's nonscience is making it harder.

The purina limited ingredient version is at least semi-okay, although she had another itchy episode last night. I keep being assured that it takes WEEKS to fully something something.

Also? She doesn't like things to be boring. So we've always switched up foods to keep her interested in eating. Dogs, man.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:34 am

3 of our 5 cats have allergies, and after several years and who knows how much money on fancy foods, we find out it's nothing in the food at all! 2 are allergic to pollen, 1 to fleas.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:20 am

rsz_dzyoyroxqaiotef.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:58 pm

Humane Society of Summit County <Twinsburg, Ohio>
February 16 at 4:34 PM ·
Geronimo has found a family!

Today was a special day for a special boy! After patiently waiting 1,145 days Geronimo has finally found a family of his very own! It's been a day the staff and volunteers at the Humane Society of Summit County has been waiting for. We would like to thank everyone that has shared his story, especially Hannah with cleveland.com. We would also like to thank Geronimo's new family for opening up their homes and hearts to this amazing boy!

► Show Spoiler
Shelter dog Geronimo finally gets adopted after waiting 1,145 days for home

Geronimo, the shelter dog who captured the heart of cleveland.com readers, finally found his forever home Saturday after waiting more than three years.

Readers shared his story more than 46,000 times on cleveland.com’s news site alone, creating a community that rallied behind him that crossed state lines.

Many on social media offered to pay his adoption fee, while others wished to donate toys and food to his new family.

Thank you to everyone who helped to make Geronimo’s dream a reality. The next chapter of his life has started and it’s, in part, because of the support of cleveland.com’s readers.
He spent the last 1,145 days at the Humane Society of Summit County where he received excellent care and was adored by staff and volunteers alike.

Geronimo is a six-year-old American Staffordshire Terrier, Pit Bull Terrier and Mastiff mix. He’s a big 80-pound boy with a lot of energy, but also knows how to take treats gently and knows his basic commands.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/02/ ... HrblQkgzGE

YUGE video under the spoiler. This is PRE-ADOPTION. What a sweetie. So glad he got a home. :lovestruck:
cleveland.com was live.
last Tuesday ·

Dog in shelter for 1,100+ days needs love and a home for Valentine’ Day. Hannah Drown is at Humane Society of Summit County to introduce Geronimo. Spread the word to help him get a home by Valentine’s Day. Do you know anyone who would want to adopt him?
► Show Spoiler
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:49 am

WeRateDogs™ ✔
@dog_rates

This is Duke. He was first elected mayor of Cormorant as a write-in candidate in 2014. In 2016, literally everyone in the village voted for him. Duke passed away last week at the age of 13. He served with great honor and fluffy passion, and has been awarded the very rare 15/10
3:41 PM - Feb 25, 2019
D0S6gFJUUAE8IQ8.jpg
Minnesota’s dog mayor just died, and we honestly don’t know what we’re going to do now
http://www.citypages.com/news/minnesota ... /506327331
Duke first became mayor as a write-in candidate in 2014 and went on to be elected four times. In 2016 -- in all other ways a divisive year for our state and our nation overall -- Duke won every single ballot cast in the 1,000-person town’s mayoral election. (Except one, which went to his female dog companion, Lassie.)

As mayor, Duke presided over Cormorant with the grace and unflappability only a chonky little man made of fluff could possess. His responsibilities included appearing in parades, acting as town ambassador, hanging out at the local pub, and wearing a tiny top hat with the word “MAYOR” written on it in bold capital letters. He has appeared on talk shows and billboards, and earned landslide approval ratings all the while.
:snippity:

There is great sorrow with his passing. It’s difficult to lose a leader who meant so much to so many, and greeted all with the same charm, sweetness, and heavy breathing. But if there’s anything to take away from Duke’s departure, it’s that we must all strive to be more like the people he believed we were.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:01 pm

Lani, thank you for posting about Duke the Mayor.

George H.W. Bush’s former service dog starts new position at military hospital

Former President George H.W. Bush's service dog started his new position with the U.S. Navy on Wednesday at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

Sully, a yellow Labrador, was appointed to the rank of hospital corpsman second class during a ceremony at the hospital in Bethesda, Md.

The pooch even participated in an oath of enlistment.

"Do you affirm or pant as a hospital corpsman in the United States Navy that you will support, comfort and cure warriors and their families, active duty and retired?” a spokesperson asked during the ceremony.

“That you embrace our staff and bear unconditional love and solace, especially on busy days? That you take this obligation freely, without any promise of treats or tummy rubs and that you will faithfully discharge the duties to provide joy, love and nurturing for our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines and sailors and their families?" they added.
<SNIP>

The dog’s trainer, Valerie Cramer, told “Today” that it was essential for Bush that Sully return to working with veterans.

"It was very important to President Bush that Sully carry on serving veterans, so he chose that Sully wouldn't work for one individual person, but that he would serve many veterans, and the hospital setting is the perfect environment for that,'' Cramer said.
more photos, tweets and video at the link.
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... osition-at

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:10 pm

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:21 pm

Now that was neat! :-D

HeatherGray

Post by HeatherGray » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:29 pm

Aww...so nice to see him helping his buddy.

I once had to cut a path through four-foot drifts for our elderly Golden Retriever. We had record snowfall, and although she was able to break a path to where I was shoveling snow, she decided she would rather lie down and die before she made the return trip to the house. This snowfall was in Colorado Springs in October 1997, and every snowfall since has failed in comparison.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:11 pm

That was way too cute for words. Thanks, RTH for sharing that! I will have to watch it again. :lovestruck:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:33 pm

Would not want to have to feed this bunch.

Or clean the yard.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:37 am

Size XXXL

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:02 pm

Now who's the leader of the pack?

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:36 pm

Adam Guzman
March 10 at 9:15 PM
Watch the full video here:

Today I witnessed a man risking his life for his best friend. Watch the full video here.

Go fund me for the family. https://www.gofundme.com/stand-by-jose-and-family

To use this video in a commercial player or in broadcasts, please email licensing@storyful.com

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:07 pm

:banana: :clap: :lovestruck:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:58 pm

Cross posting from RECALLS -

More dog food recalled over potentially toxic vitamin D levels, Hill's Pet Nutrition says
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3231576002
Eight more varieties of canned dog food are being recalled for potentially toxic levels of vitamin D, Hill's Pet Nutrition announced Wednesday.

The company voluntarily recalled 25 products for the same concern earlier this year. The number of dog food affected now totals 33. Varieties of the company's canned Prescription Diet and Science Diet foods, sold and recommended at a variety of veterinarian offices across the nation, were affected.
Current full list of recalled products: https://www.hillspet.com/productlist#list

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:28 am

My beloved rescue dog who rescued me right back in difficult times is having trouble getting on and off my bed. I just bought a senior joint supplement that he loves, but still want to give him easy access to/off the bed. I've been looking at steps and ramps. The reviews are that ramp is too steep, the steps are too small, etc. He goes up and down human steps 10 inches deep in the house ok, but dog step products are much shorter. If you know of any products that can help us, I'd love to hear about it.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:16 am

Lani wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:28 am
My beloved rescue dog who rescued me right back in difficult times is having trouble getting on and off my bed. I just bought a senior joint supplement that he loves, but still want to give him easy access to/off the bed. I've been looking at steps and ramps. The reviews are that ramp is too steep, the steps are too small, etc. He goes up and down human steps 10 inches deep in the house ok, but dog step products are much shorter. If you know of any products that can help us, I'd love to hear about it.
My parents just use a box that is half the height of the bed. No problem with their dog getting halfway up, just can't make the full-height jump.

HeatherGray

Post by HeatherGray » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:02 am

Lani wrote:
My Schnauzer uses this foot rest that we got from Ikea:
Ikea Foot Rest

We originally bought it to go with the chair but it got repurposed for his use. It divides the height about halfway to the bed.

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:09 am

Lani wrote:
We went with a large storage ottoman at the foot of the bed when our Kiah developed arthritis but even that was too much of a jump for her later on. However, she was a smaller dog (17 pound Miniature Schnauzer) and we have a fairly tall bed. The best thing I've seen are the Pet Gear Easy Steps which have wider and deeper treads than most. At 9" the treads are still a bit shallow but the rise is only 6" per step so it evens out. The only thing I don't like is the slope which I think might make an older dog a little uneasy.

Then there's this thing which may or may not work, depending on the size of your dog. Kind of pricey though.
If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

vic

Post by vic » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:22 am

Depending on the size of the steps and rise, and how they're covered, if the slope is too much, you can rotate the unit so the steps become the rise, and the rise becomes the step, resulting in a gentler slope.

That works best on the cheaper units which are just blocks covered by some sort of fabric.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:13 pm

The Maybedog struggles now to get on and off the furniture, but I think the problem is his eyesight. His mobility doesn’t seem to be impaired at all - he still runs and jumps and plays - but I think he can’t judge distances anymore. He likes to sit on a favorite chair and look out the window (I don’t think he can see much anymore, but it’s a life-long passtime). I accidentally left a sweater on “his” chair, and his landing spot looked different and totally messed with his confidence in hopping up. He sat by the chair crying ( :brokenheart: ) and I wanted to shoot myself.

I don’t really know how old he is. We got him at the pound 11 years ago, and the vet thought he was about two. These next months/years are going to be *so* hard.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:13 pm

:bighug: hugs for maybedog.

Return to “Teh Funny Stuffs”