All Dogz Worthy

User avatar
Patagoniagirl
Posts: 3742
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:15 pm

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1976

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:49 am

I am hoping for some recommendations for winter dog booties for a mid-size doogie. Cowboy is coming from FL to OH. He is a very short-haired pit mix rescue. It is freaking cold here and I think I should get him some boots to protect his little paws. There are gazillions of them on the webz. Anyone have experiences with this?

User avatar
tek
Posts: 3813
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Happy Valley, MA
Occupation: Damned if I know

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1977

Post by tek » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:17 pm

My good friend up in Alaska (who I met decades ago in the tech world in New England, and reconnected with in the car world, and who ran a rescue for sled dogs on Hawaii for many years - if you can imagine such a thing) just adopted a new member of the family from a shelter:
We just picked Katmai up at the kennel today and she makes the usual suspects look positively obese. She was severely malnourished and abused (she’s probably just a little over 32 pounds) but after a warm welcome by the gang she’s finding her way. She’ll be staying in as she’s too skinny and doesn’t yet have enough fur to stay out. She’s 7 and fits nicely between Koyuk 9 and Kiska 5.
Singing for a treat while her new sibs look on:
greg_new_dog_2019.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 9379
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1978

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:29 pm

:lovestruck:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

User avatar
RoadScholar
Posts: 8176
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Baltimore
Occupation: Historic Restoration Woodworker
Contact:

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1979

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:03 pm

Dog is “man’s best friend,” but what is dog’s best friend?

Gravity.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 10193
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1980

Post by Chilidog » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:27 pm

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:49 am
I am hoping for some recommendations for winter dog booties for a mid-size doogie. Cowboy is coming from FL to OH. He is a very short-haired pit mix rescue. It is freaking cold here and I think I should get him some boots to protect his little paws. There are gazillions of them on the webz. Anyone have experiences with this?
My only experience with boots is that they always fall off.

Salt is worse than cold.

Whfn it gets really bad, a quick out, pee, run back in will do it.

Get cowboy a nice sweater.

User avatar
Whatever4
Posts: 12248
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am
Location: Mainely in the plain
Occupation: Visiting doctors.

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1981

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:38 am

Chilidog wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:27 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:49 am
I am hoping for some recommendations for winter dog booties for a mid-size doogie. Cowboy is coming from FL to OH. He is a very short-haired pit mix rescue. It is freaking cold here and I think I should get him some boots to protect his little paws. There are gazillions of them on the webz. Anyone have experiences with this?
My only experience with boots is that they always fall off.

Salt is worse than cold.

Whfn it gets really bad, a quick out, pee, run back in will do it.

Get cowboy a nice sweater.
Don’t get black booties. They will fall off and look just like the regular churned-up rocks and you will never find them. Go for red.

The worst parts of the snow and salt and ice are the salt stinging the ice cuts, the dog licking the salt off when you get back, and the snow freezing between their toes. Make sure you wash off their feet. Some people swear by this stuff.
https://www.chewy.com/mushers-secret-pa ... 2MQAvD_BwE

Verbose and Listeme have a big doofus muppet livestock guardian (Great Pyrenees) who loves to hang out in the snow. He will happily lie on ice banksall day. Not sure if they do anything for his paws though.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

User avatar
Lani
Posts: 4890
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Some island in the Pacific

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1982

Post by Lani » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:05 am

This woman ran 19 miles of a marathon carrying a lost puppy
https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a2 ... ing-puppy/
Runner Khemjira Klongsanun was seven miles into the Chombueng marathon in Ratchaburi, Western Thailand, when she saw runners dodging a puppy. Stopping at the side of the road, Klongsanun attempted to coax the trembling puppy over to her.

With no houses nearby, Klongsanun concluded that the pup must have been abandoned. Rather than leaving it behind, she carried it for the next 19-miles, crossing the finish line with the pup in her arms.
viral-press-marathon-puppy-1548773943.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 10193
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1983

Post by Chilidog » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:04 am

Awwww

User avatar
RTH10260
Posts: 22451
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Near the Swiss Alps

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1984

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:19 am

Lani wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:05 am
This woman ran 19 miles of a marathon carrying a lost puppy
https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a2 ... ing-puppy/
Runner Khemjira Klongsanun was seven miles into the Chombueng marathon in Ratchaburi, Western Thailand, when she saw runners dodging a puppy. Stopping at the side of the road, Klongsanun attempted to coax the trembling puppy over to her.

With no houses nearby, Klongsanun concluded that the pup must have been abandoned. Rather than leaving it behind, she carried it for the next 19-miles, crossing the finish line with the pup in her arms.
viral-press-marathon-puppy-1548773943.jpg
Thailand has also many stray and wild dogs. Some can be vicious especially when they build a pack. But many are just friendly and will socialize when fed regularily. I know one homeowner who feeds a handful and they stick quietly around the property but will alert her by barking when a stranger shows up.

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 8281
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1985

Post by RVInit » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:57 pm

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

User avatar
Lani
Posts: 4890
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Some island in the Pacific

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1986

Post by Lani » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:51 am

Crossposted from Recalls:

Hill’s Pet Nutrition Voluntarily Recalls Select Canned Dog Food for Excessive Vitamin D

Update January 31, 6:30 pm CST:
Hill’s Pet Nutrition is voluntarily recalling select canned dog food products due to potentially elevated levels of vitamin D. While vitamin D is an essential nutrient for dogs, ingestion of elevated levels can lead to potential health issues depending on the level of vitamin D and the length of exposure, and dogs may exhibit symptoms such as vomiting, loss of appetite, increased thirst, increased urination, excessive drooling, and weight loss. Vitamin D, when consumed at very high levels, can lead to serious health issues in dogs including renal dysfunction. Pet parents with dogs who have consumed any of the products listed and are exhibiting any of these signs should contact their veterinarian. In most cases, complete recovery is expected after discontinuation of feeding.

In the United States, the affected canned dog foods were distributed through retail pet stores and veterinary clinics nationwide. No dry foods, cat foods, or treats are affected.
:snippity:
https://www.hillspet.com/productlist
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

User avatar
Dolly
Posts: 14327
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1987

Post by Dolly » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:24 pm




USPS to honor military dogs with stamp collection

The U.S. Postal Service will honor military service dogs in a upcoming stamp collection honoring the "brave and loyal" service animals.

The service announced in a press release last week that the service would offer sales of booklets featuring 20 stamps divided between four breeds of U.S. service dogs: German shepherds, Labrador retrievers, Belgian Malinois and Dutch shepherds.

Each stamp features a breed of dog on a red or blue background with a white star. The pages of the booklet each contain four stamps, one of each breed.
.......................
CNN reports that about 2,300 service dogs are currently stationed on U.S. military bases around the world. <snip>
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... collection
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

User avatar
NotaPerson
Posts: 3347
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1988

Post by NotaPerson » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:09 pm

Doggie pic going around Facebook. He's called Toolbox. :-D
Toolbox.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Am I being detained?

User avatar
listeme
Posts: 5417
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:09 am

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1989

Post by listeme » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:40 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:38 am
Chilidog wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:27 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:49 am
I am hoping for some recommendations for winter dog booties for a mid-size doogie. Cowboy is coming from FL to OH. He is a very short-haired pit mix rescue. It is freaking cold here and I think I should get him some boots to protect his little paws. There are gazillions of them on the webz. Anyone have experiences with this?
My only experience with boots is that they always fall off.

Salt is worse than cold.

Whfn it gets really bad, a quick out, pee, run back in will do it.

Get cowboy a nice sweater.
Don’t get black booties. They will fall off and look just like the regular churned-up rocks and you will never find them. Go for red.

The worst parts of the snow and salt and ice are the salt stinging the ice cuts, the dog licking the salt off when you get back, and the snow freezing between their toes. Make sure you wash off their feet. Some people swear by this stuff.
https://www.chewy.com/mushers-secret-pa ... 2MQAvD_BwE

Verbose and Listeme have a big doofus muppet livestock guardian (Great Pyrenees) who loves to hang out in the snow. He will happily lie on ice banksall day. Not sure if they do anything for his paws though.
We basically leave it to him. We leave his paws entirely alone in the winter (no trimming, even of nails, altho he keeps them down mostly, but so we don't mess with his feet) and I can see his station from my desk. If he picks a paw up, he comes in. Even when he comes in, he has no paw issues. He's made for ice, though. We also give him a hay island, which he rolls his eyes about but has used once. It's possible he's not a dog?

We made the mistake of using ice melt on the back porch (we use it on the front human walk only) and all the dogs had trouble with it until we realized what we'd done. The basenjis have feet for the tropics, and they shrieked. Salt is bad, and the ice melt is worse.

Sand is okay.

The medium-large dog has enough shepherd in her feet that she can go out with us for 20-30 minutes at a time unless it's below -5 F. That's about my limit, too.

I'm no help!
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 35461
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1990

Post by Addie » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:35 pm


User avatar
GreatGrey
Posts: 9826
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:06 am
Location: Living in the Anthropocene

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1991

Post by GreatGrey » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:16 am

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

User avatar
Whatever4
Posts: 12248
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am
Location: Mainely in the plain
Occupation: Visiting doctors.

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1992

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:29 pm

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 8281
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1993

Post by RVInit » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:20 pm

That is a bulldog with heart! I really enjoyed watching him, that was one impressive run.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

User avatar
Lani
Posts: 4890
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Some island in the Pacific

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1994

Post by Lani » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:43 pm

If you liked that video, check this little fluff zoom machine: Gabby captures the 8" division title at the 2019 WKC Masters Agility
And stick around for the high fives at the end.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

User avatar
Whatever4
Posts: 12248
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am
Location: Mainely in the plain
Occupation: Visiting doctors.

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1995

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:15 pm

Floof barely heavy enough to make the teeter totter! :lovestruck:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

User avatar
listeme
Posts: 5417
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:09 am

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1996

Post by listeme » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:30 pm

Oh my gosh. She's fantastic.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

User avatar
Whatever4
Posts: 12248
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am
Location: Mainely in the plain
Occupation: Visiting doctors.

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1997

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:42 pm

Winky the Bichon, OTOH, was ready for her closeup and didn’t want to muss her hair.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 10193
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1998

Post by Chilidog » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:56 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:15 pm
Floof barely heavy enough to make the teeter totter! :lovestruck:
Papillons are great at agility

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 8281
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#1999

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:29 pm

Aw, that was just the cutest ever. :lol: So sweet.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

User avatar
Dolly
Posts: 14327
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: All Dogz Worthy

#2000

Post by Dolly » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:49 pm

Little Gabby did such a good job! It was all great. I especially liked her shooting through the curved tunnel and the weave poles. :clap:

:lovestruck:

Thanks for posting the video, Lani.

:bighug:

ETA:
Pretty and dainty Winky the Bichon Frise was so sweet too.

Thanks, Whatever4

:bighug:
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Post Reply

Return to “Teh Funny Stuffs”