No Catz but Kate's OK

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: No Catz but Kate's OK

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:21 pm

:brokenheart: Poor Ginger.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:29 pm

Cat-Bijoux
·
Follow
😹😹😹
Avoir son propre style c'est ce qui nous différencie des autres 😸 lol
► Show Spoiler
huge video under the spoiler. amusing video of a cat walking on a railing that has a guardrailpole (whatever).
Smart kitty uses his front paws on the pole and straddles it and walks on the railing with his back paws.
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:20 pm

Dolly wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:29 pm
Cat-Bijoux
·
Follow
😹😹😹
Avoir son propre style c'est ce qui nous différencie des autres 😸 lol
► Show Spoiler
huge video under the spoiler. amusing video of a cat walking on a railing that has a guardrailpole (whatever).
Smart kitty uses his front paws on the pole and straddles it and walks on the railing with his back paws.
We had a cat the walked on our back fence similar to that. Both left feet, front and back, on the top of the fence and both right feet on the cross piece. He looked like popcorn.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:59 am

Grandpa Mason is failing fast. :brokenheart: For those who don’t know of him, he’s a old feral cat that was trapped in October 2016 and was not expected to survive long as he has advanced kidney disease. He discovered a second life helping raise kittens. He’s happiest covered with a mound of tiny kittehs. He survived almost 3 years longer than expected. But ... (dusty in here...) :cry:
Grandpa Mason’s test results from this afternoon show his kidneys have failed. We were not expecting it to happen this fast. With the certainty that his body is failing fast, the most important gift we owe him is the dignity of a peaceful and painless transition before he reaches a point of suffering.

He has important Grandpa work to do over the Bridge, and so many there are eagerly awaiting his arrival. I’m sure Nano, Stanlily and Woodstock, and Angela will be first in line. So, we’ve decided that Mason will spend one more night in his favorite bed, surrounded by his kittens and his Auracuda, and tomorrow we will pack his tiny suitcase, tell him once again how much we love him and how much he matters, and send him gently on his way.

We have a plan worked out so he remains pain free and happy between now and tomorrow, and so he can get a few last kitten smooshes in for the road.

Thank you to everyone who has shared this incredible journey with us. His story doesn’t end tomorrow, it simply becomes a new chapter. His impact will live on, and he will continue to change the narrative about feral, old, sick, “different” cats. We will make sure of it.

His story, for anyone who might have missed it: TinyKittens.com/cases/mason <3
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:21 am

Sniff. Oh so dusty. :cantlook: :brokenheart:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:54 am

Very dusty.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:22 am

Sure is. Glad for the pile of kittens tho. :cry:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:22 am

:brokenheart:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:32 am

:crying:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:47 am

:crying: :brokenheart:

I will miss him, but his story will live on.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:49 am

R.I.P. Grandpa Mason :bighug:

Thanks for your love and caring. You will be missed by many.

:brokenheart: :crying:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:33 pm

Dr. F is coming around 6pm to help Grandpa Mason cross the bridge peacefully and painlessly. I sat up with him all night to make sure he was always surrounded by kittens and to adjust pain meds to make sure he is staying comfortable.

This morning, he got to meet Angela's kittens. His respiration rate had increased a little bit, and after a few minutes with the babies, it was right back down to normal.

He is currently comfortable and napping with Piggy and Peggy while the Auracuda has a snack. We talked all night about the cats, kittens and humans waiting for him across the Bridge, how loved he is, and how much his life matters.

I think he is looking forward to seeing Nano, Stanley and Woodstock again. I also asked him to keep an eye on everyone down here, and to be sure to send his friends our way if they need help.

It will take me some time to be able to face all of the messages and comments, but please know our shattered hearts are feeling the love of our #TinyVillage as it surrounds us. <3

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:15 pm

:brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:15 am

Who is chopping onions at this hour? :brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:26 pm

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of Grandpa Mason, whatever4. He had a good life with you.

I am in a cat dilemma. I am allergic to cats. I have never liked cats. I don't like cats. I'm a dog person. But....there is this cat, a sweet orange kitty, that was abandoned by a renter and has been fixed and turned into a community cat. He hangs out on my porch and I kind of accidentally started feeding him and giving him water and petting him and buying him toys. He has now brought a friend, a black cat with a white spot. The black cat is unfixed and appears to be a stray. I want to take him in and get him shots, neutered, and turned into a community cat, but I'm nervous about the responsibility. (the orange cat is beloved by many, there are several sharing his care.) what do I do when the weather gets bad and I can't bring him into the house? (my garage is freestanding and uninsulated) who would care for him if I was out of town? has anyone else took on the responsibility of a stray, community cat that they could not take into their home for medical reasons? Did it turn out all right?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:37 pm

stoppingby wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:26 pm
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of Grandpa Mason, whatever4. He had a good life with you.

I am in a cat dilemma. I am allergic to cats. I have never liked cats. I don't like cats. I'm a dog person. But....there is this cat, a sweet orange kitty, that was abandoned by a renter and has been fixed and turned into a community cat. He hangs out on my porch and I kind of accidentally started feeding him and giving him water and petting him and buying him toys. He has now brought a friend, a black cat with a white spot. The black cat is unfixed and appears to be a stray. I want to take him in and get him shots, neutered, and turned into a community cat, but I'm nervous about the responsibility. (the orange cat is beloved by many, there are several sharing his care.) what do I do when the weather gets bad and I can't bring him into the house? (my garage is freestanding and uninsulated) who would care for him if I was out of town? has anyone else took on the responsibility of a stray, community cat that they could not take into their home for medical reasons? Did it turn out all right?
JMHO, and I'm not allergic so that's a question I never had to ask - but you might want to reach out to a local shelter for advice? if kitty can be trapped and taken to a shelter they can find it a home? Note, non kill shelters! Not the county run ones that will euthanize unadoptable cats.

Always, though, they should be neutered, even if outdoor kitties.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:50 am

stoppingby wrote:
I want to take him in and get him shots, neutered, and turned into a community cat, but I'm nervous about the responsibility. (the orange cat is beloved by many, there are several sharing his care.) what do I do when the weather gets bad and I can't bring him into the house? (my garage is freestanding and uninsulated) who would care for him if I was out of town?
What are the answers to those same questions if you don't do anything at all? He's still hanging around, but probably hungry and not as healthy. Cats are amazingly adaptable outside and will find some place to stay warm, or he will just go where ever the orange cat goes. If he's fixed it will keep him out of a lot of fights so less risk of injury or infection and the vaccinations will stave off the really bad stuff he could get.

Check to see if you have a local Big Fix clinic. Cheap or free neutering if you trap a feral cat and agree to ear tipping, and the shots are like $10 or something. Most of them have live traps (ours requires they be brought in a live trap) that you can rent for $5 or so and you get that back when you return the trap.

I suspect he'll be fine if you get him fixed and return him to where you got him. If your sweet neighbors are already feeding the ginger, he'll just share his food with the new kid. And personally, I think that's better than spending who the hell knows how long in a cage hoping someone wants a real cat and not an adorable kitten to adopt.

And totally not what you asked, but every outside cat I have ever known was happier with a companion. If it's not this one, another one will eventually show up anyway.

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:50 pm

Thanks, Sugar Magnolia and Kendra, for your advice. Unfortunately my area (a rustbelt city) is inundated with feral cats, and so the local ASPCA really won't take them in for adoption. Instead they refuse them or fix them and drop them back off to stay in the community. I'd rather arrange to do it myself through our local spay and neuter clinic, which has a community cat program, so I can know he is brought back to the right neighborhood where he clearly lives. Also, I can then take responsibility for keeping his vaccinations up. I talked to another neighbor a few blocks over who cares for a different community cat, and they gave me some good pointers on how to manage water/safe housing during the winter, so I think it will work out. Thanks again!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:01 pm

Best of luck, keep us updated. About 20 or so years ago a tiny bit of a kitten got herself lost in our big warehouse. The lads only figured out there was a cat, because kitty poop in the stucco mix :bag:

It took a while to get a trap, but we did and expected her to greet us with open arms, but she was feral. We tried to see if she'd socialize, but we have up and trapped her from the office she was hiding out in and had her fixed. The plan was to set her back I go the wilds behind the building, but she was so stinking cute, we tried again. It took a few weeks with her in a big cats getting used to us, but we finally turned a corner and she let me hold her. I ended up taking her home. Sweet cat, but always went to the beat of a different drummer.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:23 pm

In my area the Pasadena Humane started giving out free pairs of neutered ferals, bonded pairs if possible, to homeowners who wanted ratters or mousers or gopherers etc. Included with da kittehs are instructions on how to keep them from going native again. Attitudes about feral cats are changing.

I second the notion that if you fix them they’ll be more inclined to be real community cats, stay around, be friendly, etc. Your responsibility ends, IMHO, with that. That’s more responsible that 99% of your neighbors- ok, maybe 89%. Let them step up if you can’t.

💕💕💕💕 This cat lover predicts...

PS Grandpa Mason isn’t W4’s cat. He belonged to a rescue that live-streams kittehs 24/7 - births, kittens, and a Grandpa babysitter cat. Their/His story is why many have changed their minds about ferals. There’s a wealth of information at TinyKittens.com that might help you, and Grandpa Mason’s story if you need a good cry.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:01 am

stoppingby wrote:
Grandpa Mason wasn’t mine, he lived in British Columbia and was pretty famous (for a cat)...
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:37 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:01 am
stoppingby wrote:
Grandpa Mason wasn’t mine, he lived in British Columbia and was pretty famous (for a cat)...
Oops! I misread your post and thought he was yours. I've now gone to the website and read his story - what a sweet cat.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:23 am

► Show Spoiler
The source for the Facebook post: There are more photos and he just gets cuter and cuter. :lovestruck:
Popsugar Living Cute Animals Cute Photos of Cat Who Sleeps on His Back
This Tiny Cat Sleeps on His Back, and Damn, He Looks Seriously Comfy

Friends, I present to you a complete cuteness overload in a 5-month-old kitten named Chata. The sweet little guy is completely adorable awake, but it's when he sleeps that he really becomes his cutest. On his Instagram account — which he shares with his older cat sister, Chava — run by his owner, Jasmine, Chata is frequently photographed fast asleep . . . on his back. And to be honest, I'm having a hard time even believing he's real.

Scroll through to see all of the photos of Chata sleeping on his back so far — how adorable (and hilarious) is he?!

<I am unable to post the photos at the link. Is this an Instagram thing? >
https://www.popsugar.com/pets/photos-ca ... o-46666984

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:29 am

Oooh no fair, incredibly cute ittel kitteh first thing in the morning. :lovestruck: They are so cute at that age, then they usually get worse.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:49 am

So, stray cat update. I called our local spay and neuter clinic which runs a community cat program and asked about getting the cat into the program. Unfortunately, I mentioned I couldn't know for certain that it was an abandoned cat - who knows, maybe he's lost? - so they said I have to file a found pet report and either keep the cat "contained" for 30 days (I am allergic and my garage is a decrepit freestanding junk zone, so not an option) or turn it into the local animal care and control, which puts down a lot of cats a year (although they might turn it into a community cat). I initially scheduled a wellness check with the clinic to get him scanned and to get help filing the report. (the report wants me to list its breed. I didn't even know cats HAVE breeds besides siamese and "other.")

I called my friend who has cats and is very involved with the lost pet community, and she suggested cancelling the appointment and waiting a few weeks and just show up at the community cat walk-in clinic. I did end up cancelling the appointment (I hadn't caught the cat yet, and I was going to have to go during work) because my vet's office said they can scan the cat and help me with my questions for the report without an appointment, and I can't be certain what day I can both catch him and get off work.

So now I'm trying to clean off my enclosed back porch in order to catch the cat and keep him overnight until I can get him to my vet. He only comes at night (like clockwork at 8:15) so I have to find a place to keep him until I can run him to the vet the next day. I will then complete the report, and wait 30 days, and then bring him to the community cat clinic and get him neutered and all appropriate shots. However, I'm going to fudge on the "contained" and just hope he keeps showing up for dinner every night. (the thirty days is in case his former owner claims him. I figure if that happens -and it seems damned unlikely considering the number of stray cats in the area- I'll just catch him again when he comes for dinner.)

The only thing is, I'm concerned about delaying his shots. When I was petting him last night, I realized how incredibly thin he is (he has thick fur, so I hadn't noticed before. ) I can feel every rib. I"m thinking of adding a little wet food to the dry food to get some more calories in him? Would that be a good idea? Sorry for all the questions, but I am cat illiterate, and all my friends think I am nuts for getting attached to this cat since I can't take him in.

Return to “Teh Funny Stuffs”