No Catz but Kate's OK

Maybenaut

Re: No Catz but Kate's OK

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:04 pm

Volkonski wrote::( :( :(

So many dead kittys.

Our older daughter and son in law just had to put down the first cat the had together. Just got too old and febble.
This happened to us a long time ago. We had a black cat, named Gremelchki, for 18 years. I was devastated when we lost him, and one of the reasons was because I got him as a kitten, and he was only about 10 weeks old when I met my husband. After a couple if years with no pets, we got a dog. Now our doggie as about 12, and getting pretty white around the muzzle, but I'm trying not to think about that.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:27 pm

I now hear Cisco, so I feel great.

I had Sammy the Korat for 18.5 years. He was much closer to me than Cisco is, although Cisco is a great cuddler. I think he is 11.5 years, although his first four years were on rigorous duty as a stud. I had Sammy for a longer time than I was married, although I had two great sons out of my marriage.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

P.K.
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Post by P.K. » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:19 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Volkonski wrote::( :( :(

So many dead kittys.

Our older daughter and son in law just had to put down the first cat the had together. Just got too old and febble.
This happened to us a long time ago. We had a black cat, named Gremelchki, for 18 years. I was devastated when we lost him, and one of the reasons was because I got him as a kitten, and he was only about 10 weeks old when I met my husband. After a couple if years with no pets, we got a dog. Now our doggie as about 12, and getting pretty white around the muzzle, but I'm trying not to think about that.
After Mr. K and I got married, we got an 8 week old kitten - a beautiful calico-tabby with long fluffy fur. She passed away of old age the day before her calculated 18th birthday. It was so hard to lose her.

We have three cats now, but none have long fur.

At the cat shelter where I volunteer, there is a fluffy calico who has fur exactly like our late cat's. I mean exactly - I've had her on my lap brushing her twice this week, and it's exactly like brushing our kitty. It's kind of freaky. She gets mats in the same spots, and makes the same sound of annoyance when I work those mats too much with the brush (though she doesn't snap at me like our old cat). The good part is I know exactly how to brush her, and what kind of brush to use for best results. I've brushed so much loose fur off of her, I could knit another cat. The bad part is, it makes me miss our first kitty so much.
IANALBIPOOTV - I am not a lawyer, but I've played one on TV. In fact, IANA (fill in the blank) but chances are I've played on on TV.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:32 pm

P.K. wrote: After Mr. K and I got married, we got an 8 week old kitten - a beautiful calico-tabby with long fluffy fur. She passed away of old age the day before her calculated 18th birthday. It was so hard to lose her.

At the cat shelter where I volunteer, there is a fluffy calico who has fur exactly like our late cat's. I mean exactly - I've had her on my lap brushing her twice this week, and it's exactly like brushing our kitty. It's kind of freaky. She gets mats in the same spots, and makes the same sound of annoyance when I work those mats too much with the brush (though she doesn't snap at me like our old cat). The good part is I know exactly how to brush her, and what kind of brush to use for best results. I've brushed so much loose fur off of her, I could knit another cat. The bad part is, it makes me miss our first kitty so much.
You must adopt her!!!! She is your cat's reincarnation! Over the years, we have had three orange and white tabby cats, all male, who raised kittens who adopted us. Each acted as uncle-protector-teacher to "their kittens"- Bengal, D'Artagnan and Harpo Manx (our voiceless Manx). One more kitty gives you an even number and what's a cat household without long fur!
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

P.K.
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Post by P.K. » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:25 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
P.K. wrote: After Mr. K and I got married, we got an 8 week old kitten - a beautiful calico-tabby with long fluffy fur. She passed away of old age the day before her calculated 18th birthday. It was so hard to lose her.

You must adopt her!!!! She is your cat's reincarnation! Over the years, we have had three orange and white tabby cats, all male, who raised kittens who adopted us. Each acted as uncle-protector-teacher to "their kittens"- Bengal, D'Artagnan and Harpo Manx (our voiceless Manx). One more kitty gives you an even number and what's a cat household without long fur!
Oh, I'd love to adopt her! I'm not sure she'd be a good match with my other kitties though. And she eats a special diet, which would be a problem because we free-feed and everyone eats the same food. That's the good thing about volunteering - I get to brush, pet, play with and love the kitties without worrying whether they'd beat up on one of my cats or vice versa. :duel:
IANALBIPOOTV - I am not a lawyer, but I've played one on TV. In fact, IANA (fill in the blank) but chances are I've played on on TV.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:06 am

:thumbs: Kitty dominance games are no fun.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 am

Hemingway’s Six-Toed Cats Ride Out Hurricane Irma in Key West

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/11/us/h ... p=cur&_r=0
Entire islands have been reduced to rubble, streets have turned to rivers, cranes have buckled and more than 30 people have died. But the six-toed Hemingway cats are fine.

The 54 cats, many of them descendants of a white polydactyl cat owned by Ernest Hemingway, live at the writer’s house in Key West, Fla., which was hit hard by Hurricane Irma.

As the storm approached last week, officials ordered a full evacuation of the Florida Keys. But Jacque Sands, the general manager of the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum, refused to leave. She had an obligation, she said, to see the property and the cats through the hurricane.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Some people in emotional need have service dogs. I think that Cisco has decided that he is a service cat and I am his person. The responsibility flows both ways. Yesterday he was stretched out ungracefully on my bed. There were no short trips to the litter box or the water bowl. He was also sometimes making pre-vomiting sounds.

I called his vet and spoke to a tech who thought he might just be having a bad day. Not so. About midnight he put his head into my ear and yelled. He was like a baby calling in the night for mommy or daddy except louder

Then he started roaming around to find a good place to vomit. He relieved himself and came back to the bed to spend some time purring on my chest.

He seems fine today.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Sequoia32

Post by Sequoia32 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:12 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:08 pm
He was like a baby calling in the night for mommy or daddy except louder
Awww, sweet kitty. :bighug:

I hope he's OK, Tollie. Is he drinking and peeing OK?

Spooky had a "bad day" and I thought she seemed better, but by the time I took her in a few days later, she needed Subcu fluids 2 days in a row. Bloodwork showed some kind of infection and an antibiotic shot and the fluids fixed her up, but I should have taken her in sooner. At 21 and with kidney disease and now we know heart disease, it doesn't take much to push her over the edge.

"
So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:24 pm

:bighug: :bighug: to both of you. It is so hard when they start getting old.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:52 pm

I will hope Cisco is feeling better. Geriatric cats are always a challenge.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:13 pm

:bighug: for you and Cisco. I hope he's OK, he is so beautiful, but more than that, he's a special kind of sweet, I can tell by the stories you tell about him.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:16 pm

He does drink his Poland Spring, and clumps form in his litter box. I will keep checking. Right now he is in one of his cat trees asleep, but he will come back to me for the night.

Yes, Cisco is a special kind of sweet. The Buddhist monks of Burma thought the breed to be sacred.

Sequoia32

Post by Sequoia32 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:56 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:16 pm
Poland Spring
Poor Spooky only gets Kirkland water (Costco's brand) as that is what we drink. :oops:
So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:20 pm

Sequoia32 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:56 pm
TollandRCR wrote:
Poland Spring
Poor Spooky only gets Kirkland water (Costco's brand) as that is what we drink. :oops:
Our local equivalents are not so good. I use Big Y bottled water in my coffee machine because coffee kills the taste of the water.

We drink bottled water now because I do not trust my well. I do bathe and wash in it.

I wish there were a nearby Costco, but there is not. Connecticut is a remarkably rural state.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Sequoia32 wrote:
TollandRCR wrote:
Poland Spring
And I was so proud of myself for using tap water filted by my Pur system :bag:

vic

Post by vic » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Kendra wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:03 pm
Sequoia32 wrote:
TollandRCR wrote:
Poland Spring
Hah! I bought a water distiller so that I could have distilled water for my CPAP machine without dealing with plastic bottles; and since the distilled water, while reading 0ppm dissolved solids, could have some organics, I run it through a ZeroWater Filter just to be sure.

Gracie gets the distilled, filtered water in her water fountain.

To be fair, I don't use the distilled water for health reasons. The water fountain has filters and a recirculating pump, but when using regular filtered water (from either my Pur filter or Brita pitcher), it would accumulate "lime", which I would have to remove with citric acid solution. The distilled water eliminates that problem.

Sequoia32

Post by Sequoia32 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Kendra wrote:
This is the first place I have lived or worked where I didn't drink tapwater. You would think with the beautiful American river running through it, Sacramento would have good water, but no. I tried a Britta but it still tastes bad and grows black slime.

I won't give it to Spooky since I won't drink it myself.

She has a fountain... in a box... in the garage... since we moved here 7 yeas ago. There really isn't anywhere to put it here and my son makes sure she has multiple bowls of fresh water that he changes very often. She has kidney disease and is on Lasix, so she drinks a lot.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Sequoia32 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:30 pm
Kendra wrote:
This is the first place I have lived or worked where I didn't drink tapwater. You would think with the beautiful American river running through it, Sacramento would have good water, but no. I tried a Britta but it still tastes bad and grows black slime.

I won't give it to Spooky since I won't drink it myself.

She has a fountain... in a box... in the garage... since we moved here 7 yeas ago. There really isn't anywhere to put it here and my son makes sure she has multiple bowls of fresh water that he changes very often. She has kidney disease and is on Lasix, so she drinks a lot.
Water where I'm at is fine with the Pur filter. I can recall some states I've visited where it's downright nasty out of the tap.

Is the fountain you spoke of one of those made for constant running water for kitties? The motors on those things are very hard to keep clean with the water always running through, the one I had was always getting slick and icky.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Kendra wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:34 pm
Water where I'm at is fine with the Pur filter. I can recall some states I've visited where it's downright nasty out of the tap.

Is the fountain you spoke of one of those made for constant running water for kitties? The motors on those things are very hard to keep clean with the water always running through, the one I had was always getting slick and icky.
I had one of those water fountains for Poohie. I used filtered water and typically cleaned the motor every 4 or 5 days so it didn't get too bad. I used Q-Tips for some of the hard to reach pieces, but the motor comes apart pretty easily for cleaning.
--- George W Bush

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:03 pm

RVInit wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:49 pm
Kendra wrote:

I had one of those water fountains for Poohie. I used filtered water and typically cleaned the motor every 4 or 5 days so it didn't get too bad. I used Q-Tips for some of the hard to reach pieces, but the motor comes apart pretty easily for cleaning.
It has been a few years, and perhaps the mechanics have changed. I just switch out the water bowl and water daily. Tabby is fine with that and Miss Floof won't drink water, she gets her moisture from the wet food.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Kendra wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:03 pm
RVInit wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:49 pm
Kendra wrote:

It has been a few years, and perhaps the mechanics have changed. I just switch out the water bowl and water daily. Tabby is fine with that and Miss Floof won't drink water, she gets her moisture from the wet food.
:lol: Cats are so funny. Poohie would turn her nose up at water in a regular bowl, but she loved that water fountain. She was one spoiled rotten kitty cat. (As should be)
:lol:
--- George W Bush

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:24 pm

You never know with cats. I'll think I've got them the best toy ever, and they'll ignore it.

vic

Post by vic » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:50 am

Kendra wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:24 pm
You never know with cats. I'll think I've got them the best toy ever, and they'll ignore it.
The first fountain I got for Gracie was plastic. The pump moved the water up to a little reservoir which had a had a "waterfall" back into the dish. There was a carbon filter in the reservoir.

Gracie totally ignored it. So I went to a plain water dish. I had to rinse the dish every day, and it would get lime deposits that had to be removed. And it was amazing how quickly bits of cat hair and kibble would appear in the water after I cleaned it.

I then got a ceramic fountain. It has a central tower where the water is pumped up and pours out in two streams into a large dish. The pump and filters (a foam pre-filter in addition to the carbon filter) are hidden inside the tower. Using distilled water prevents the lime buildup, and the foam filter does a good job of catching the cat hair. I have to add water every few days, and clean it and replace the filters monthly.

But the best part is that Gracie actually uses it.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:05 am

Abbaloony's latest thing is licking your bottle of ice water when you take it out of the fridge. She's manic and very insistent. Weirdo cat.

She still drinks out of the water bowl, of course. She dips her paw in the bowl, gets it nice and soaking wet, and then licks the paw. Freakazoid weirdo cat. :doh:
My god, it's full of stars turtles all the way down!

Return to “Teh Funny Stuffs”