No Catz but Kate's OK

TollandRCR

Re: No Catz but Kate's OK

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:21 am

Update on Mr. Cisco, the half-blind Birman.

I am pretty confident that he will keep his right eye for at least a while. That would likely mean that he lost his left eye due to infection that precipitated glaucoma.

He jumps onto my bed, climbs step ladders, and gets on the top perch of his cat tree. I think that for both him and me, the biggest current problem is the deep cold we are still experiencing. It got down to 15F last night, and the wind was blowing. I have decided that for some time to come I shall never wear a white shirt. There has been entirely too much white around here.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:52 am

Mr Cisco has a great home. Glad to hear he is doing well. :clap: :thumbs:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:18 am

Our four kitties got exams yesterday. One, Alice, was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism at age almost 17 years. The others, AnnieBear (18 years old and going strong), George (the youngest, 7 years old) and Evie, 9, were all quite healthy.

My vet loves my cats. All of them, except for George, are tortoiseshells. They are quiet and well-behaved.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:33 am

Azastan wrote:Our four kitties got exams yesterday. One, Alice, was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism at age almost 17 years. The others, AnnieBear (18 years old and going strong), George (the youngest, 7 years old) and Evie, 9, were all quite healthy.

My vet loves my cats. All of them, except for George, are tortoiseshells. They are quiet and well-behaved.
Trouble, the tubby tortoiseshell kitteh, sez that quiet and well-behaved are not in her wheelhouse, TYVM.

"Cosmic apotheosis wears off faster than salvia." --Rick Sanchez

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:43 am

Estiveo wrote:
Azastan wrote:Our four kitties got exams yesterday. One, Alice, was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism at age almost 17 years. The others, AnnieBear (18 years old and going strong), George (the youngest, 7 years old) and Evie, 9, were all quite healthy.

Trouble, the tubby tortoiseshell kitteh, sez that quiet and well-behaved are not in her wheelhouse, TYVM.
Hehehehe, my kitties are the exception to the rule! My vet also loves my horses, because my Arabians are also quiet and well-behaved LOL.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:49 am

Tolland, glad to hear Cisco is still curling up by your side. None of my three babies (1 year old on April 1) will curl up with me because Nikki, my old man cat (18), won't let them. That's his spot for the foreseeable future. They defer to him even though he's nearly toothless. ;)

Nikki is my mighty hunter. He prefers doing his business outdoors to any of the 6 cat boxes :roll: (he's a cat, of course he does) so he's in and out until human bedtime. This week he started hunting - at 18! He has brought me 5 baby rats and a mouse; Gracie's score is a bit lower, only 4 baby rats. All of us on this cul de sac have a rat problem because of our fruit trees, and me on accounta the chickens. Their food is locked up in heavy duty containers, and I keep their coop clean - they mostly eat outside of the coop, only one small container for their pre-bedtime pecking rituals - but it doesn't matter. I also have bird feeders, so there's seed all over the ground. Our western neighbor is elderly and bedridden and there is no one except the gardener to clean up the fallen fruit so them rats party all the time over there. The neighbor beyond her is a grumpy coot that no one can talk to.

Any of you barn-lovers have suggestions? Poor Nikki can't keep up.

PS. I will not put any kind of poison out, nor toxic chemicals.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:01 pm

kate520 wrote:
Any of you barn-lovers have suggestions? Poor Nikki can't keep up.

Another cat?

George is our barn cat (he gets brought into the house in the evening due to all the coyotes around here), and he has cleaned out any rats/mice we had. Now he goes after the moles/voles out in the pasture, and has virtually eliminated them. New population to be produced soon, though, so he will be busy.

If you can't add another cat, and don't want to put out poison, you pretty much have to pick the rats off with a .22 or pellet gun. Don't use glue traps--they will catch birds just as much as they will catch rats and mice.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:43 pm

kate520 wrote:Any of you barn-lovers have suggestions? Poor Nikki can't keep up.

Get you sssssome California Kingssssssnakesssss.

"Cosmic apotheosis wears off faster than salvia." --Rick Sanchez

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Those glue traps are cruel!

There's been an unaltered, maybe feral young cat hanging out in the yard lately. He shares himself with all the neighbors, too. I'll try feeding him to keep him around

If that fails,Mr520 has a .22 rifle. I'll need a night vision scope, though.

Nah, who'm I kidding. We had rats as pets for years when Sprout was young. I like them. I wouldn't be able to shoot one. :roll:

ESTIVEO, King snakes are cool.

Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:07 pm

Azastan wrote:
Estiveo wrote:

Hehehehe, my kitties are the exception to the rule! My vet also loves my horses, because my Arabians are also quiet and well-behaved LOL.
Off Topic
True story - my bee inspector loved my bees because of how docile they were. I sold my hives when I moved.

I kept what are known as "hygienic bees", which can be stressful when they decide 3/4 of the pupae are not perfect and start carrying them all out and throwing them away. I wanted to scream at them the first time they did that - Hey, quit throwing out your babies!!!!

--- George W Bush

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:14 pm

kate520 wrote:Those glue traps are cruel!

There's been an unaltered, maybe feral young cat hanging out in the yard lately. He shares himself with all the neighbors, too. I'll try feeding him to keep him around

If that fails,Mr520 has a .22 rifle. I'll need a night vision scope, though.

Nah, who'm I kidding. We had rats as pets for years when Sprout was young. I like them. I wouldn't be able to shoot one. :roll:

ESTIVEO, King snakes are cool.
I'm so glad you aren't doing the glue traps. They are indeed exceedingly cruel. Hopefully some native non-poisonous snakes will show up to help, usually that does happen, but in so many subdivisions they are almost non-existent or their numbers are so low you may not get one to come around. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on some native snakes moving in.

--- George W Bush

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Estiveo wrote:
kate520 wrote:Any of you barn-lovers have suggestions? Poor Nikki can't keep up.

Get you sssssome California Kingssssssnakesssss.
Our native garter snakes prefer frogs!

Did I mention that my vet also works on reptiles, and loves my three snakes as well?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:39 am

Awwww.

https://iheartcats.com/stray-cat-surpri ... ir-garage/

I like the videos they're taking documenting their new adventure.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Heyho, TinyKittens latest rescued feral, Evolene, is also due any minute now. Poor dear, she. Looks like she's had a hard life. She responded very well to socialization' so her life is about to get boatloads better. :kiss:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Od1-koPkMjI

Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:32 pm

That belly is moving!

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:29 pm

They must be playing with that soccer ball she ate. :mrgreen:

Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:30 pm

Hope she doesn't have to wait as long as April the Giraffe.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:48 pm

She's so cute! I'm in love again. :lovestruck:

--- George W Bush

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:04 pm

RVInit wrote:She's so cute! I'm in love again. :lovestruck:
I'm in love with this bunch. https://www.youtube.com/c/TheCritterRoom/live

Anyone recall the Reindeer kittens from The Critter Room? All in happy homes, but Donner really scored and he has a mom that keeps us up to date on FB: https://www.facebook.com/donnerareindeerkittensjourney/

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:14 pm

Started streaming on Mar 25, 2017
Live webcam of adoptable momcat and kittens from Kitkat Playroom

About the Scottish Tots family:
Lindsay (mom) is a one-year-old dilute tortie who was found as a stray in a very rural area of southern New Jersey. She was taken to a local county shelter where she gave birth to 5 babies the morning of March 8, 2017. The shelter staff left that night and when they came back the next morning, a surprise 6th baby was in the cage! Kitkat Playroom rescued them from the county shelter on March 10. <SNIP>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvEwKTQjaHw

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:22 pm

For all the depressing stuff on the internet, it is so cool to see how shelters are able to use social media (or social meowdia as Purrfect Pals calls it), to raise awareness for local shelters and pets needing furrever homes.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:26 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:Our friend in West Monroe died suddenly Tuesday and her only family was her 3 cats. None of us actually live in WM though, although I'm closest at 2 hours away. I jumped into action and got the cats placed in NOLA. It has been an adventure. They are all inside cats and have never been around other people, except the neighbor who feeds them when my friend is gone. He never actually sees them either, just goes in and dumps out food. It took them from Tuesday until Fri to trap 2 of the cats, and we were convinced the other one had somehow managed to get out. We looked for 2 hours Sat morning after I got over there and were literally on the verge of giving up when I took one last look in the closet and he came flying out over my head. We spent the next 20 minutes trying to pen him up so we could get him in the carrier.

Got them back here with no issues and my friends from NOLA picked them up and should get back "home" in another hour or so. They did spend the night in my hall bathroom "talking" to my own cats through the door. If mine got too close, little kitty fingers would pop out from under the door as a warning.

My friend was well-loved by people all over the world and her death has left a huge, huge hole in us. She retired less than 2 years ago and was making plans to move to NOLA. Her cats will live there soon, and so will she. I'm picking her ashes up next week and they'll be scattered in all the places that were important to her down there, including the wooden floors of a couple of music clubs, the stage at Jazzfest and on the river ferry.

So, wish Beignet, VooDoo and Punkin' happy lives in their new forever homes! GrisGris will be there with them shortly.

I missed this one when it was posted.

:grouphug:

Big, belated hug to you and the kitties.

I feel honored to know you, sugar, even if it's only an internet friendship.

You are truly one of the "good people" of this world.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:25 pm

:like: Yes, indeed!

--- George W Bush

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:59 pm

FosterDadJohn and Shelly are kitty whisperers, for sure.

Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:47 pm

You's a good egg, Sugar!

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Return to “Teh Funny Stuffs”