No Catz but Kate's OK

kate520

Re: No Catz but Kate's OK

Post #3351 by kate520 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:43 pm

Wow, that sanctuary is spotlessly clean! Thanks, RTH. Cats. ❤️

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

P.K.
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Post #3352 by P.K. » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:15 pm

I volunteer at a cat/dog shelter which I shall not name (but is called something kind of like Favorite Buddies). I hadn't been in for over two weeks - over Thanksgiving week they were having a huge adoption event and didn't need "socialization" volunteers like me; then the next week I lost my father and wasn't up for volunteering, obviously. Yesterday I went to do some socializing, which consists of giving attention to the older cats - brushing, playing, talking to them, giving them treats, whatever they need to feel relaxed and happy so that they show well to potential adopters. They have a few "free roam" rooms (as opposed to individual kennels, which they have for some cats), and one is the "quiet room" where the shyer cats are. I usually go in with a brush, sit on the floor and talk softly to the cats, and brush anyone who wants brushies. Yesterday a beautiful black cat that I've known for a while, who's always been a little diffident around me, decided she really, really wanted brushies, and even settled on my lap for quite a while, purring really loud. I'm now trying to convince Mr. K that a one-year-old black female cat would be the perfect addition to our household. He's not really buying it, but not really saying no either. If I go back next week and she's still there, and pulls the same cuddly purry act, I may not be responsible for my actions.

Usually the cats I like get adopted really quickly, which is a good thing! :) I'm happy when a cat gets adopted, even though I'll miss them - there are so many cats who need love!

(I usually also do other volunteer tasks like sweeping the floor, washing dishes, cleaning litter boxes, but I cut my finger pretty badly recently so that kind of help will have to wait. Mandolin slicers are dangerous, folks!)

IANALBIPOOTV - I am not a lawyer, but I've played one on TV. In fact, IANA (fill in the blank) but chances are I've played on on TV.

TollandRCR

Post #3353 by TollandRCR » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:21 pm

Cisco is doing fine. His right eye still measures pressures within the normal range, but apparently this can turn on a dime. Whether the drops or his body functions are responsible for a normal reading is unknown.

I am thinking that he would look seriously cute with a black pirate patch over his left eye socket, but I suspect that he would strongly disagree.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RVInit

Post #3354 by RVInit » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:43 pm

TollandRCR wrote:Cisco is doing fine. His right eye still measures pressures within the normal range, but apparently this can turn on a dime. Whether the drops or his body functions are responsible for a normal reading is unknown.

I am thinking that he would look seriously cute with a black pirate patch over his left eye socket, but I suspect that he would strongly disagree.

:lol: My kitty would never consent to wearing an eye patch, but, yeah, Cisco would be super cute. Glad he is doing well. He's a fine kitty and pretty special, I can tell by the photo. :lovestruck:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

RTH10260

Post #3355 by RTH10260 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:15 pm

kate520

Post #3356 by kate520 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:14 pm

Mohammed Ali

Kendra

Post #3357 by Kendra » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BROE1ADxsLY

Foster Dad John from The Critter Room has a new batch of kittens since late Friday. Apparently the little things were found in a box on the side of the road with no mama, and let me tell you it was pretty darned cold last week and no idea how long they were out there. Estimated age is seven weeks, but instead of the two pounds expected at eight weeks, they were all around one pound when brought in. Poor little things.

Still a bit nip and tuck for one of them (he got fed via syringe today), so let's send positive thoughts our way.

RVInit

Post #3358 by RVInit » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:23 am

Kendra wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BROE1ADxsLY

Foster Dad John from The Critter Room has a new batch of kittens since late Friday. Apparently the little things were found in a box on the side of the road with no mama, and let me tell you it was pretty darned cold last week and no idea how long they were out there. Estimated age is seven weeks, but instead of the two pounds expected at eight weeks, they were all around one pound when brought in. Poor little things.

Still a bit nip and tuck for one of them (he got fed via syringe today), so let's send positive thoughts our way.

So cute!

--- George W Bush

ObjectiveDoubter

Post #3359 by ObjectiveDoubter » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:33 pm

P.K. wrote:I volunteer at a cat/dog shelter which I shall not name (but is called something kind of like Favorite Buddies). I hadn't been in for over two weeks - over Thanksgiving week they were having a huge adoption event and didn't need "socialization" volunteers like me; then the next week I lost my father and wasn't up for volunteering, obviously. Yesterday I went to do some socializing, which consists of giving attention to the older cats - brushing, playing, talking to them, giving them treats, whatever they need to feel relaxed and happy so that they show well to potential adopters. They have a few "free roam" rooms (as opposed to individual kennels, which they have for some cats), and one is the "quiet room" where the shyer cats are. I usually go in with a brush, sit on the floor and talk softly to the cats, and brush anyone who wants brushies. Yesterday a beautiful black cat that I've known for a while, who's always been a little diffident around me, decided she really, really wanted brushies, and even settled on my lap for quite a while, purring really loud. I'm now trying to convince Mr. K that a one-year-old black female cat would be the perfect addition to our household. He's not really buying it, but not really saying no either. If I go back next week and she's still there, and pulls the same cuddly purry act, I may not be responsible for my actions.

Usually the cats I like get adopted really quickly, which is a good thing! :) I'm happy when a cat gets adopted, even though I'll miss them - there are so many cats who need love!

(I usually also do other volunteer tasks like sweeping the floor, washing dishes, cleaning litter boxes, but I cut my finger pretty badly recently so that kind of help will have to wait. Mandolin slicers are dangerous, folks!)

Wowy, wow! I volunteer there, as well, and do "Cat Socialization." I should be paying them as it's a real stress reducer, but my my work donates $10 for every hour I volunteer. How cool is that, two Fogbowsers at one great pet rescue? And yes, the real challenge is not bringing another baby home to my crowded menagerie.

RVInit

Post #3360 by RVInit » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:39 pm

I am so sad. I have been feeding a feral kitty for a few months and he was getting really comfortable with me - I could pet him and he loved to play with some of my kitty's old toys (she doesn't play much anymore, she's pretty senior). I haven't seen Baby Boy for several days now and I am afraid something bad may have happened to him. I feed on a schedule and he was always there at feeding time. When someone temporarily moved in next door he started staying in my yard all day and night because the hole in the fence where he comes to my place is in that (usually empty) lot next door. I searched and called for him over the weekend, but, no luck. :brokenheart:

--- George W Bush

June bug

Post #3361 by June bug » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:59 pm

I'm sorry, RV. I'm sending all good thoughts that your feral buddy will reappear. :bighug:

RVInit

Post #3362 by RVInit » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:13 pm

June bug wrote:I'm sorry, RV. I'm sending all good thoughts that your feral buddy will reappear. :bighug:

Thank you, June Bug, I hope so. He was really skinny and in bad shape when he first started coming around and he had gotten in very good condition, even his grooming improved remarkably. I have my fingers crossed that there is some explanation or maybe even someone else is feeding him and caring for him. I hope so.

--- George W Bush

June bug

Post #3363 by June bug » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:34 pm

I hope so too, RV. I know how it hurts not to know. It's an open wound that doesn't heal.

OTOH, sounds like you made him much more appealing - physically and socially - so let's hope someone found him irresistible! :thumbs:

Sequoia32

Post #3364 by Sequoia32 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:07 pm

I hope your ferral boy found a permanent indoor home, RV. Do you have a group like nextdoor.com where you can post and ask if anyone has seen him?

I worry whenever my feral, Mama kitty (who will never be a mama again) doesn't show up as expected, especially since the jerk next door threatened to kill her and throw her on our porch...

So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

RVInit

Post #3365 by RVInit » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:54 pm

Sequoia32 wrote:I hope your ferral boy found a permanent indoor home, RV. Do you have a group like nextdoor.com where you can post and ask if anyone has seen him?

I worry whenever my feral, Mama kitty (who will never be a mama again) doesn't show up as expected, especially since the jerk next door threatened to kill her and throw her on our porch...

Thanks for the suggestion. I just posted something online, maybe I will get a response. In the past he has missed only one meal since I started feeding him, but I haven't seen him now for about 4 days. Worried sick.

Wow, your neighbor does sound like a jerk. When I was a kid our tabby got outside and before we could find him a neighborhood bully hit him in the face with a baseball bat. The vet bill was astronomical, but at least it didn't injure his brain. Broke many bones in his face and jaw, had to have his jaw wired, but thankfully there as no permanent damage or brain damage. Some people are real shits.

--- George W Bush

Estiveo

Post #3366 by Estiveo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:28 am

"Moths are velvety-soft abominations attracted to light." --Puck, reporter from Breaking Cat News

P.K.
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Post #3367 by P.K. » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:17 pm

ObjectiveDoubter wrote:
P.K. wrote:I volunteer at a cat/dog shelter which I shall not name (but is called something kind of like Favorite Buddies). I hadn't been in for over two weeks - over Thanksgiving week they were having a huge adoption event and didn't need "socialization" volunteers like me; then the next week I lost my father and wasn't up for volunteering, obviously. Yesterday I went to do some socializing, which consists of giving attention to the older cats - brushing, playing, talking to them, giving them treats, whatever they need to feel relaxed and happy so that they show well to potential adopters. They have a few "free roam" rooms (as opposed to individual kennels, which they have for some cats), and one is the "quiet room" where the shyer cats are. I usually go in with a brush, sit on the floor and talk softly to the cats, and brush anyone who wants brushies. Yesterday a beautiful black cat that I've known for a while, who's always been a little diffident around me, decided she really, really wanted brushies, and even settled on my lap for quite a while, purring really loud. I'm now trying to convince Mr. K that a one-year-old black female cat would be the perfect addition to our household. He's not really buying it, but not really saying no either. If I go back next week and she's still there, and pulls the same cuddly purry act, I may not be responsible for my actions.

Wowy, wow! I volunteer there, as well, and do "Cat Socialization." I should be paying them as it's a real stress reducer, but my my work donates $10 for every hour I volunteer. How cool is that, two Fogbowsers at one great pet rescue? And yes, the real challenge is not bringing another baby home to my crowded menagerie.

High five, fellow socializer! Isn't it the best volunteer job ever?

IANALBIPOOTV - I am not a lawyer, but I've played one on TV. In fact, IANA (fill in the blank) but chances are I've played on on TV.

Kendra

Post #3368 by Kendra » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:58 pm

The shelter that I got my tabby from has a program for inmates at a prison to foster cats needing some extra TLC. http://purrfectpals.org/about/our-priso ... r-program/

At Purrfect Pals, we believe that EVERY cat matters — not just the young and healthy. We strive to help the old, fragile, injured, newborn, stray and unwanted cats and kittens. Finding acceptable foster care for semi-feral and extremely shy cats and kittens needing socialization and human contact is an ongoing challenge for Purrfect Pals.

Speaking of Purrfect Pals, I can't recall if I've posted the link to Foster Dad John's new batch of kittens. Note these poor babies were found in a box alongside a road where they'd been dumped, and it was very, very cold late last week. It's been a bit nip and tuck while the little ones are fighting off a virus. Estimated at eight weeks, on intake they were only around one pound, when kittens their age should be about two pounds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BROE1ADxsLY

RVInit

Post #3369 by RVInit » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:16 pm

My sister's cat passed away today. He is the father of my kitty. She looks exactly like her father except that her markings are lighter in color and she has medium long hair where he was a short hair. They also have the same sweet easy going personality. Really sad for my sister. She really loved that cat and had him his whole life. He would have been 18 in a couple of months.

--- George W Bush

RTH10260

Post #3370 by RTH10260 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:42 am

Cat that likes winter sports...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnhYB1QUZq4

Kendra

Post #3371 by Kendra » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Lieutenant Vixen Please Report To Transporter Room...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLQs3bOKyZ0

GreatGrey

Post #3372 by GreatGrey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:17 pm

KITTY
2001 - February 8, 2017

IMG_3866.JPG

Kitty came to us about 6 years ago after her previous owner got tired of her and threatened to toss her into Bristol Bay. There must have been some abuse in her history, she was the definition of scaredy cat. But I guess she finally realized I was sincere in our promise to "never drop her, never hurt her" and she turned into a wonderful lap cat.

But age and cancer caught up with her this morning. So again we're a sad house.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

TollandRCR

Post #3373 by TollandRCR » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:20 pm

Sorry that you have lost Kitty. Kitty looks a lot like the best kat I ever had, a Korat, but Kitty's eyes are not green. Beautiful though.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

kate520

Post #3374 by kate520 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:22 pm

Kitty is beautiful GG. I love that you take in scaredy cats and make them lap cats.

:bighug:

Mohammed Ali

Estiveo

Post #3375 by Estiveo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:27 pm

Beautiful eyes on Kitty. You're a good parent to your fur kids, GG.

"Moths are velvety-soft abominations attracted to light." --Puck, reporter from Breaking Cat News

Return to “Teh Funny Stuffs”