Weird Headlines

Sam the Centipede

Re: Weird Headlines

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Had it happened in early 2016, perhaps the Bundy poots at Malheur would have interpreted this abundance of creatures mimicking chocolate dildos as a sign of their god showing his disapproval of their project by joining with the anti-occupation people?

But no, the god in their minds is an asshole who approves of all their nastiness so anything is always a sign that their deeds are righteous. Even dildo fish.

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

What can WA MPs spend their $78,000 electoral allowance on? (Hint: it's not sex)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-19/ ... d/11814430

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Lucas Miller Singing Zoologist 4 showtimes

Build children’s scientific confidence and curiosity with Lucas Miller’s STEM-tastic, multimedia presentations, featuring dazzling visuals, smart songwriting, laugh-out-loud comedy, and accurate science.
Come see how much fun science is with the “singing zoologist!” Lucas Miller, the "Singing Zoologist"
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Jcolvin2

Post by Jcolvin2 »

Dave at Sea wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:31 am
What can WA MPs spend their $78,000 electoral allowance on? (Hint: it's not sex)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-19/ ... d/11814430
I've lived in Washington State for 30+ years and I had no idea we elected MPs. ;)

True story: My wife is a swim coach in the Seattle area. Several years ago, we attended the national Australian swim coaching convention. For the next several years, the Australians sent my wife job listings and materials specific to Western Australia, because they interpreted the WA in her address as standing for Western Australia rather than Washington State (and ignoring the "United States of America" portion of my wife's address). While Perth is a nice city and the Margaret Valley produces excellent wines, I was not ready to pick up and move to one of the most remote cities in the world:
https://blog.id.com.au/2012/population/ ... the-world/.

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

If the choice was a WA with or without 4 more years of Donnie would you reconsider the invitation?

:sharky; :shark:

Jcolvin2

Post by Jcolvin2 »

Dave at Sea wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:26 pm
If the choice was a WA with or without 4 more years of Donnie would you reconsider the invitation?

:sharky; :shark:
I would definitely reconsider if NK develops intercontinental missile delivery systems.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Several cars trapped overnight inside monster tumbleweed pile in eastern Washington
A handful of travelers spent the waning hours of the new year trapped inside a massive pileup of tumbleweeds that shut down a highway in eastern Washington for 10 hours.

State Route 240 was closed in both directions at mile point 10 near West Richland as Washington Department of Transportation workers cleared the road -- using what appeared in photos to be a snow plow.

The Associated Press quoted Washington State Trooper Chris Thorson, who said five cars and one 18-wheel semi truck were trapped in the tumbleweeds over New Year’s Eve night. The road did not reopen until about 4:30 a.m. New Year’s Day.

Thorson posted on Twitter that tumbleweeds were piled 20 to 30 feet in places.

I've heard this bull before.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Tumbling Tumbleweeds

For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Ever wanted to rent a chicken? Now you can

https://abc13.com/5808661/?ex_cid=TA_KT ... ce=twitter
Rent The Chicken is a part of an eggs-citing new industry that rents backyard chickens!

The company provides full support for the term of your rental - usually six months. They deliver the chickens to your house, bring a coop for your backyard, supply the chicken feed and other yummy things chickens eat (hint: mealworms) and when you decide you've had enough (or if you chicken out at any time) simply give them a call and they come pick everything up!

Jcolvin2

Post by Jcolvin2 »

I just learned that tumbleweeds are an invasive species. But - more importantly - that we can blame Ukraine!

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2020/01/ ... storm.html
But did you know that tumbleweeds are not native to the West?

They were first reported in the United States around 1875 in South Dakota, apparently transported in flax seed imported by Ukrainian farmers. Within 20 years, tumbleweeds had spread throughout the High Plains and by 1900 reached the Pacific.

But why do they tumble? To spread their seeds. During the fall and early winter, the plants die and their roots break off from the rest of the plant. As the plants tumble, they deposit thousands of seeds into the environment. Tumbleweeds do particularly well where the soil has been disturbed (e.g., agricultural, roads, etc.) They are a good example of how the ecology of the west has been radically changed by invasive plants, include cheatgrass (grassoline), Himalayan blackberries, and much more.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Does Rudy know?
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

Jcolvin2 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:21 pm
I just learned that tumbleweeds are an invasive species. But - more importantly - that we can blame Ukraine!

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2020/01/ ... storm.html
But did you know that tumbleweeds are not native to the West?

They were first reported in the United States around 1875 in South Dakota, apparently transported in flax seed imported by Ukrainian farmers. Within 20 years, tumbleweeds had spread throughout the High Plains and by 1900 reached the Pacific.
:snippity:
My father in law called them Russian Thistles, so it is Russia's fault after all.

Jcolvin2

Post by Jcolvin2 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:38 pm
Does Rudy know?
Of course. In his tireless travels through Eastern Europe dispensing frontier justice in a corrupt world, Rudy has become the legendary High Steppes Drifter. He and the tumbleweed are like two seeds in the sod.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Jcolvin2 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:26 am
Does Rudy know?
Of course. In his tireless travels through Eastern Europe dispensing frontier justice in a corrupt world, Rudy has become the legendary High Steppes Drifter. He and the tumbleweed are like two seeds in the sod.
:rotflmao: :clap:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Jcolvin2 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:26 am
Does Rudy know?
Speaking of which:

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

What do they do with the things? I’m thinking burning them is right out.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Whatever4 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:55 pm
Eight posts up from yours, I answered that question. They sing about 'em.
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Foggy wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:12 pm
Whatever4 wrote:
Eight posts up from yours, I answered that question. They sing about 'em.
I’m thinking that doesn’t get rid of them. Unless it’s W2 singing.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Whatever4 wrote:
I don't know how they are dealt with en masse, but smaller quantities can actually be used as firestarters. They are annuals, produce about 200000 seeds per bush, and spread the seeds as they roll. They've got little thorns (their other name is Russian Thistle) so you have to be careful touching them.

They are edible when young, about their only saving grace. Livestock can eat them, but the plants can contain up to 5% oxalic acid, so they can also poison livestock.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Whatever4 wrote:
They could pass them thru a tree shredder and compost the remains.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Bath man who fought off rabid fox attacked again
BATH, Maine (WGME) -- Eighty-eight-year-old Norman Kenney says that his Friday afternoon was going smoothly.

"I had just returned from the store, parked my car, and when the door closed I heard this little 'mew,'" Kenney said.

He says the fox was able to take him down after pouncing on him.

"I'm in the middle of that driveway trying to beat it off with a cane, and the cane kept breaking," Kenney said.
"The fox must have grabbed on to [my eye]," Kenney said. "It's a wonder he didn't get the eyeball and pull the eye ball out."

He says that a nearby neighbor helped pull the fox off of him, and Bath police say they put the fox down.

For Kenney, this is a cruel version of déjà vu. Back in September, he strangled a rabid fox to death with his foot when it attacked him.

"The [January attack] was a bigger fox," Kenney said. "The last one, I was able to get it with my foot. This one, I was just strangling it with my bare hands hoping it would stop clawing me."

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Woman rescued after being stuck inside clothing donation bin for 3 days

https://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-rescued ... itter_abcn
A woman has been rescued after being stuck inside a clothing donation bin for three days when a person passing by heard her screams for help.

Police in Paterson, New Jersey, responded to a call on Monday morning reporting a woman yelling from inside the clothing donation bin, according to ABC News’ New York station WABC.

The woman, who had allegedly been stuck inside the bin since Friday night, was rescued and told authorities that she was unable to move her legs and escape.

The 38-year-old woman told police that she has reaching inside the bin when somebody pushed her inside and closed the door causing her to get stuck.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:14 pm
Bath man who fought off rabid fox attacked again
BATH, Maine (WGME) -- Eighty-eight-year-old Norman Kenney says that his Friday afternoon was going smoothly.

"I had just returned from the store, parked my car, and when the door closed I heard this little 'mew,'" Kenney said.

He says the fox was able to take him down after pouncing on him.

"I'm in the middle of that driveway trying to beat it off with a cane, and the cane kept breaking," Kenney said.
"The fox must have grabbed on to [my eye]," Kenney said. "It's a wonder he didn't get the eyeball and pull the eye ball out."

He says that a nearby neighbor helped pull the fox off of him, and Bath police say they put the fox down.

For Kenney, this is a cruel version of déjà vu. Back in September, he strangled a rabid fox to death with his foot when it attacked him.

"The [January attack] was a bigger fox," Kenney said. "The last one, I was able to get it with my foot. This one, I was just strangling it with my bare hands hoping it would stop clawing me."
This guy is the friend of a friend. She says:
Norman "Foxslayer" Kenney takes down another rabid fox. I told him he shouldn't feel like he needs to defend the title!
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Jim

Post by Jim »

You might want to check your home-owners insurance...

A squirrel trashed home of family on vacation, and insurance won't pay
A squirrel that apparently fell into an Atlanta house through a chimney and was desperate to get out caused at least $15,000 in destruction over the Christmas holidays, the homeowners said.

To make it worse, the couple's insurance company said it is not responsible to cover the cost of the damage.
Maybe they should claim that the squirrel was a guest who got all freaked out instead?

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

What the shell?! Meet the Rhea, the 100-year-old turtle who can't swim underwater because she can't fart
Not being able to pass gas is a life-threatening issue for a sea turtle as it prevents them from being able to dive for food.

'Usually that indicates an obstruction of some type, and that's typically what you'll see with floating turtles,' Dr Monteiro-Pereira said.

The vet won't release Rhea back into the wild until they are sure she has overcome her flatulence issues.

Return to “Teh Funny Stuffs”