Sept. 19 is Talk Like A Pirate Day

optimusprime

Re: Sept. 19 is Talk Like A Pirate Day

Post by optimusprime » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:22 am

AAAARRRGGGH Ye bilge Rats!!!

ElaineSoCal

Post by ElaineSoCal » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:40 pm

Since I share my birthday with Talk Like A Pirate Day, I thought I'd post a pic of some friends who threw me a birthday lunch at a place we renamed "The Sudsy Bucket". While you can't see all of them in the pic, attending were Wicked Tits Juanita, One-Eyed Willie, Rosie the Bucktoothed Whistler, Rum Guzzling Gloria, Barnacle Bitin' Billy, Fanny Faced Fiona, Jezebel de Hook, and Maisie Moans at Midnight. Good times. :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:24 pm

I'm either Cowerin' Deb Teach or Pirate Jake the Black with my initials.

I be not sure that I like either version extra much, but I reckon th' male version be more like me.

The Azastan version upgrades me to Cap'n Jimbo Pegleg, though.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:40 pm

"Dude! I totally scarfed a copy of Sully and Snowden. And I hacked into HBO Now so I could catch up on Game of Thrones -- I'll burn you a copy! And ..."

Oh. Wait. Nevermind. :bag: :oops:

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:42 pm

Maybenaut wrote:"Dude! I totally scarfed a copy of Sully and Snowden. And I hacked into HBO Now so I could catch up on Game of Thrones -- I'll burn you a copy! And ..."

Oh. Wait. Nevermind. :bag: :oops:
:rotflmao:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:33 pm

• Me, on the drive home yesterday: "So, did anyone at your school talk like a pirate today?"

Boys: "NO, dad."

Me: "What is WRONG with those kids? We're talking about a serious important national day here!"

Boys: :roll: :roll:

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

P.K.
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Post by P.K. » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:02 pm

Yesterday evening I went to an audition at a local theatre. In the lobby, another auditioner started asking me questions as she's filling out her form - "Have you auditioned here before? How do they run the auditions? And do you know today's date?" I answered, yes; they take us in one at a time and there's a reader in the room; and it's the 19th - you know, Talk Like a Pirate Day!

She had never heard of it.

And no, I did not talk like a pirate during the audition. But I totally wanted to!

IANALBIPOOTV - I am not a lawyer, but I've played one on TV. In fact, IANA (fill in the blank) but chances are I've played on on TV.

phaseolus

Post by phaseolus » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:12 pm

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 am

Aaarg

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:02 am

Pirate lives matter! Shiver me timbers!

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:41 am

I "aarghed" my ex-Navy brother who is a pirate. I think Talk Like a Pirate Day is more important to him than his birthday. The other pirate I "aarghed" is a parrot head and our resident Santa Claus as well as a pirate. :-D

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Sheepmilker

Post by Sheepmilker » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Fun fact: I'm from the South West of England. One of the films that inspired all this piratical talk was "Treasure Island" where Long John Silver delivered his lines in a pseudo West Country accent.

In that part of the world, people used to say "Yes" by saying "Arr" - it's just dialect.

Don't get me started on people who say "Arrgg"!!!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:56 pm

Sheepmilker wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:31 pm
Fun fact: I'm from the South West of England. One of the films that inspired all this piratical talk was "Treasure Island" where Long John Silver delivered his lines in a pseudo West Country accent.

In that part of the world, people used to say "Yes" by saying "Arr" - it's just dialect.

Don't get me started on people who say "Arrgg"!!!
I shall henceforth say "Arr" when talking like a pirate! :-D

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:16 pm

Image Image Image Image Image

Sheepmilker

Post by Sheepmilker » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Thanks trl!

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Quite true. In the 1934 TREASURE ISLAND, Wallace Beery played Long John Silver with a barely concealed American accent. In the 1950 Disney production, Robert Newton played the role with that broad West Country accent - evidently in the belief that West Country was the most appropriate home for the character. Some other Long John Silvers (Tim Currey, Charlton Heston, Eddie Izzard, Orson Welles, etc.) seemed to have fun with the role without troubling to adopt difficult accents.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:59 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:50 pm
Quite true. In the 1934 TREASURE ISLAND, Wallace Beery played Long John Silver with a barely concealed American accent. In the 1950 Disney production, Robert Newton played the role with that broad West Country accent - evidently in the belief that West Country was the most appropriate home for the character. Some other Long John Silvers (Tim Currey, Charlton Heston, Eddie Izzard, Orson Welles, etc.) seemed to have fun with the role without troubling to adopt difficult accents.
I LOVED that movie!

Okay a quick funny… I’m married to Brit so every November we have a Guy Fawkes party. Pot luck, bonfire, effigy, the works, and just before we adventure off down the torch lit path to the bonfire field where the effigy is placed on a platform atop the bonfire MrDaisy tells the story of the gun powder plot. (We have been known to attract upwards of 250 people to this event, which is why it’s a potluck, and why I make sure everyone has a name tag, because with so many friends of friends of friends it’s kinda hard to keep track of who the hell all these people are.

Anywho… as MrD was telling the tail of the gunpowder plot one year I saw a little boy’s chin drop and eyes go wide as he turned to his mama in awe and I heard him say, "MAMA, he speaks Pirate!" :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: So cute! :lovestruck:

Birfers are toast

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:38 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:16 pm
I emailed this to a cat loving friend of mine. She said someone is getting poop in their shoes for this. I think it's a fair trade.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:43 pm

MsDaisy wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:59 pm

I LOVED that movie!

Okay a quick funny… I’m married to Brit so every November we have a Guy Fawkes party. Pot luck, bonfire, effigy, the works, and just before we adventure off down the torch lit path to the bonfire field where the effigy is placed on a platform atop the bonfire MrDaisy tells the story of the gun powder plot. (We have been known to attract upwards of 250 people to this event, which is why it’s a potluck, and why I make sure everyone has a name tag, because with so many friends of friends of friends it’s kinda hard to keep track of who the hell all these people are.

Anywho… as MrD was telling the tail of the gunpowder plot one year I saw a little boy’s chin drop and eyes go wide as he turned to his mama in awe and I heard him say, "MAMA, he speaks Pirate!" :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: So cute! :lovestruck:
Too cute!

A long time ago, Australians used to celebrate Guy Fawkes Night. My brother in law tells a story of the year he kept fooling around with his firecrackers, doing stupid stuff with them, until finally his dad got fed up, ripped them out of his hands, and threw them away . . .right on the bonfire. A split second later he realized what he'd done, and his dad -who was very polite and never swore - shouted, "Oh shit! Everybody, run!" My brother in law thought it was the best night ever.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:19 am

maydijo wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:43 pm
:snippity:

Too cute!

A long time ago, Australians used to celebrate Guy Fawkes Night. My brother in law tells a story of the year he kept fooling around with his firecrackers, doing stupid stuff with them, until finally his dad got fed up, ripped them out of his hands, and threw them away . . .right on the bonfire. A split second later he realized what he'd done, and his dad -who was very polite and never swore - shouted, "Oh shit! Everybody, run!" My brother in law thought it was the best night ever.
LOL! We had a night sort of like that one year. The non-professional (probably illegal for here anyway) fireworks had been set up on a bench not too far from the much too big bonfire that I had complained had been built to big AND to near the edge of the field. And of course I was right, as the wind kicked up and big ambers were flying off into the woods catching little fires here and there people scrambled around in the woods to stomp out the little fires catching seemingly to me anyway every fricking where. Meanwhile as I was fussing at MrD that we needed to tamp down the blaze before we burned down the entire county somehow the fireworks bench fell over and started shooting off fireworks into the crowd as people took off running like terrified cockroaches in every direction. Luckily there were no causalities, and we didn’t burn down the entire county. We do now however have a licensed professional tend to the fireworks and we get a permit and have the local fire department here on standby just in case. Much less stressful. :lol:

Birfers are toast

Return to “Teh Funny Stuffs”