Shooting at Orlando Pulse Nightclub 49 Dead, 53 Injured

Fortinbras

Re: Shooting at Orlando Pulse Nightclub 50 Dead, 53 Injured

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:15 am

The NRA actually claimed that "sportsmen" used AR-15s to hunt deer and rabbits.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/0 ... g_and.html

I would think that the AR-15 pretty much eliminates the "sport" out of game hunting, and I don't think there'd be much left of a rabbit (or maybe even a deer) brought down by an AR-15. Except of course, for those rabbits wearing body armor.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:47 am

Fortinbras wrote:The NRA actually claimed that "sportsmen" used AR-15s to hunt deer and rabbits.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/0 ... g_and.html

I would think that the AR-15 pretty much eliminates the "sport" out of game hunting, and I don't think there'd be much left of a rabbit (or maybe even a deer) brought down by an AR-15. Except of course, for those rabbits wearing body armor.
"deer and rabbits" is code for unarmed humans in small, enclosed spaces.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:08 pm

I missed this when it was written a few days ago. That's a real damn shame. Every Republican American needs to hear this message. It should be required reading.
Lt. Gov. Cox speaks at vigil for Orlando: 'My heart has changed'
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Lt. Governor Spencer Cox addressed a vigil held Monday night to honor the victims and survivors of the mass shooting in Orlando. Here is a transcript of his remarks:
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Thank you for being here tonight on this very solemn and somber occasion. I begin with an admission and an apology. First, I recognize fully that I am a balding, youngish, middle-aged straight, white, male, Republican, politician... with all of the expectations and privileges that come with those labels. I am probably not who you expected to hear from today.

I’m here because, yesterday morning, 49 Americans were brutally murdered. And it made me sad. And it made me angry. And it made me confused. I’m here because those 49 people were gay. I’m here because it shouldn’t matter. But I’m here because it does. I am not here to tell you that I know exactly what you are going through. I am not here to tell you that I feel your pain. I don’t pretend to know the depths of what you are feeling right now. But I do know what it feels like to be scared. And I do know what it feels like to be sad. And I do know what it feels like to be rejected. And, more importantly, I know what it feels like to be loved.

I grew up in a small town and went to a small rural high school. There were some kids in my class that were different. Sometimes I wasn’t kind to them. I didn’t know it at the time, but I know now that they were gay. I will forever regret not treating them with the kindness, dignity and respect — the love — that they deserved. For that, I sincerely and humbly apologize.

More: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=40209267&nid=14 ... as-changed

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:36 pm

Wow on that from Spencer Cox, thank you to him and to you for sharing that, I'm passing it along. Remarkable.

Many funerals now. TFB for some laughs and kindness has meant a ton this week.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:36 pm

Flatpointhigh wrote: "deer and rabbits" is {NRA} code for unarmed humans in small, enclosed spaces.
Thanks for explaining that. Clarifies a great deal of NRA stuff.

As regard the Utah Lt Gov's comments (and the comments of many others): I am not sure that all of the victims were gay. I suppose some just wanted to dance to Hispanic music.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:54 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Flatpointhigh wrote: "deer and rabbits" is {NRA} code for unarmed humans in small, enclosed spaces.
Thanks for explaining that. Clarifies a great deal of NRA stuff.

As regard the Utah Lt Gov's comments (and the comments of many others): I am not sure that all of the victims were gay. I suppose some just wanted to dance to Hispanic music.
Not all were. It was a safe space for everyone.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:47 pm

Flatpointhigh wrote:
Fortinbras wrote:As regard the Utah Lt Gov's comments (and the comments of many others): I am not sure that all of the victims were gay. I suppose some just wanted to dance to Hispanic music.
Not all were. It was a safe space for everyone.
:yeah: And those who were not LGBTQ were allies. Assholes often tend not to discriminate in their hatreds.

Image Image Image Image Image

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:36 am

Mentioned last week that they shouldn't overlook the fact that it was Latin Night at Pulse. This article is from The Hill, it's sourced from Univision and Buzzfeed. There's been a lot of talk in Orlando about this and we'll see if this checks out.
June 21, 2016, 10:11 pm
Orlando gunman's alleged lover: He 'had rage' against Puerto Ricans
By Rebecca Savransky

A man who claims to be the former lover of the Orlando, Fla., shooter said the gunman "had rage" against Puerto Ricans, Buzzfeed News reported. The man, identified as Miguel, said in an interview with Noticias Univision that he was Omar Mateen's lover for two months and had been questioned by the FBI in the wake of the worst mass shooting in American history.

“We never took a picture together, but it wasn’t because I didn’t want to,” he told Univision’s Maria Elena Salinas. “One time we were in bed together and I took my phone to take a selfie and he grabbed my arm and told me not to do it because we weren’t a couple.”

He said said Mateen was attracted to Latinos but disliked Puerto Ricans. In an accompanying article from Noticias Univision, Miguel told Salinas that Mateen didn’t like Puerto Ricans because he had an an unprotected threesome with men he met at Pulse. One of the men, Mateen had told him, had HIV.

Univision noted it has not been unable to independently verify the man's tory, but said the FBI confirmed that officials have been questioning the man. The man's voice was disguised and he appeared to be wearing a mask and makeup in the video interview. “I’ve spent about four days of hell because my phone won’t stop ringing,” the man said about his contact with investigators. “He hated Puerto Rican gays because of the bad things they did to him,” Miguel reportedly said.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ge-against

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:15 am

This last bit - that a Puerto Rican gay might have given Mateen HIV/AIDS - will swing the compass needle around again. Instead of evil Muslim immigrants (Mateen was born in NY about ten miles from Donald Trump's birthplace), and instead of evil assault weapons, it will be blamed on evil homosexuals spreading deadly disease. The homophobes will be delighted to have an excuse to ride their old hobbyhorse again.

I suppose there has not yet been a medical report on whether Mateen was actually infected. And I wonder how this "Miguel" feels about the risk of getting whatever Mateen had.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:38 am

Tarrant wrote:It is infuriating to see the various Republican politicians trying to straightsplain this away as being an attack against "us all" or "Floridians of all stripes" or whatever because they are trying to go out of their way to not acknowledge the fact that GLBT people were directly affected, because it might actually seem like they're showing sympathy for them, and they can't do that.
They are still hoping Trump will jump 20 points with each "Radical Islamic terrorism" attack, and admitting that it was an attack on LGBT waters down that rhetoric a little bit. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them aren't secretly hoping and waiting for the next attack. Their candidate pretty much shouted from the rooftops with joy upon being 'right'. Sick bastards.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:03 pm

If asked to list "all" the "radical Islamic" multiple shootings in the US, someone would probably come up with a short list --- perhaps six, maybe seven tops.* But if asked to list all the "mass shootings" (say, 4 or more wounded or killed, not counting the original shooter) we'd have twenty times that (or more) for just the past year. True enough, a highly motivated psychopath can come up with some instrument of mass murder if an assault rifle is unavailable, but let's at least cut out the rank amateurs.

* and I bet someone will come up with just such a listing

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:32 pm

This incident is sounding less and less like something motivated by 'radical Islamic ideology' and more with personal antipathies and resentments.

Tarrant

Post by Tarrant » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:23 pm

I think it's a little from Column A, and a little from Column B.

He was raised in a world (and with a father who to the day of the attack) told him that his real self was wrong, evil, and damned. All over television you can see politicians and preachers of many faiths saying he wasn't worth shit.

Combine that with being a frequent visitor to a club where he could see people confidently and happily being who they were, an identity he couldn't reconcile internally. And he was, from all accounts, rejected by them. Which I, honestly, completely understand and am saddened about.

It's a lot "harder" to be a closeted gay man these days, especially in a large city, like Orlando, with a large open gay community. Someone trying to remain more closeted or who acts ashamed of themselves is going to find themselves (unfortunately) without much in the way of support - or at least a lot less than there used to be. Going to counseling will more likely than not lead to an urging to accept themselves, which can be incredibly difficult if family or personal ties make it hard to do so.

And I get it - there's someone on my team in my gay softball league that is not out to his family (and his family lives in DC) who often complains about the fact that the post-game happy hour is always at a gay bar and not a straight one (it is at said bar because they are the team sponsor), because he doesn't want to be seen one, in said bar, and two, anywhere in a team jersey. If he does go, he goes home, showers, and changes into normal clothes before coming back, in case he sees someone else he knows on the way. He often talks of his frustration, and sometimes anger, in finding dates, because of the restrictions he puts on what they can do (which often lead to him getting broken up with) - and quite honestly while there may have been a non-negligible number of people that wanted the same arrangement years ago, those numbers (especially in DC, especially his under-35 age group) have rapidly dwindled. And his friends, even when they go out to non-gay places, aren't interested in "acting straight" just for this guy, regardless of how much they like him.

I can absolutely see Mateen, filled internally with incredibly conflicting rhetoric, and feeling rejected by communities - both religious and social - he wanted, but at the same time didn't want, to be a part of, snapping, sadly.

Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Fortinbras wrote:If asked to list "all" the "radical Islamic" multiple shootings in the US, someone would probably come up with a short list --- perhaps six, maybe seven tops.* But if asked to list all the "mass shootings" (say, 4 or more wounded or killed, not counting the original shooter) we'd have twenty times that (or more) for just the past year. True enough, a highly motivated psychopath can come up with some instrument of mass murder if an assault rifle is unavailable, but let's at least cut out the rank amateurs.

* and I bet someone will come up with just such a listing
Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:30 am

not yet a list of multiple shootings with a Muslim shooter.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:03 pm

Tonight at the Democratic National Convention :cry: Incredible.

Christine Leinonen addresses the DNC
MOTHER of slain ORLANDO victim, Christopher "Drew" Leinonen, speech to the DNC on common-sense gun control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUFQuirW-1w

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:51 pm

It was deeply moving to hear her speak, but also to see the loving support of the two young adults who gave her the emotional and physical strength to do so.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Sluffy1

Post by Sluffy1 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:03 pm

by Fortinbras » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:15 am
This last bit - that a Puerto Rican gay might have given Mateen HIV/AIDS -
Orlando nightclub shooter Omar Mateen was HIV-negative and user of steroids, autopsy shows. The autopsy of Omar Mateen, 29, suggested he was a habitual user of steroids, The Los Angeles Times reported. ... But the autopsy did confirm Mateen was HIV-negative at the time of his death ...
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2713155

vic

Post by vic » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:33 am

Orlylicious wrote:Tonight at the Democratic National Convention :cry: Incredible.

Christine Leinonen addresses the DNC
MOTHER of slain ORLANDO victim, Christopher "Drew" Leinonen, speech to the DNC on common-sense gun control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUFQuirW-1w
Awful dusty in here. :crying:

Orlylicious

Re: Shooting at Orlando Pulse Nightclub 49 Dead, 53 Injured

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:08 am

We miss our friends and we will never forget. This year has fu*king sucked. Bring on 2017!

ACLU of Florida ‏@ACLUFL
Today marks 6 months since 49 people were killed at Pulse. Join @pulseorlando tonight at 5:30 for a memorial in their honor. #OrlandoUnited

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:30 pm

NBC News
Noor Salman, Wife of Orlando Shooter Omar Mateen, Arrested

The wife of Orlando nightclub gunman Omar Mateen was arrested by the FBI on Monday in connection to the mass shooting, officials said.

Noor Salman was taken into custody in California, where her family lives, but the case is filed in Florida, where her husband massacred 49 people at the Pulse nightclub in June. ...

"This is a matter that we continue to take very seriously," she said, adding that it was always the Justice Department's goal to to determine if "there is any other accountability that needs to be had in this case."

Details of the charges against Salman were not immediately made public, but law-enforcement sources said they are related to obstruction of justice.

Authorities said early on in the investigation that they were considering filing criminal charges against Salman if it was shown that she knew what her husband was planning and did nothing.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:35 pm

http://komonews.com/news/nation-world/h ... b-shooting
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Church bells will toll throughout the Orlando area as residents reflect on the 49 patrons killed during a massacre at the gay nightclub Pulse in the worst mass shooting in recent U.S. history.

Starting in the early hours Monday, and continuing almost 24 hours later, survivors, victims' families, city officials and central Florida residents will remember the victims with four services.

The first service is closed to the public, and it's being held at the nightclub for survivors, local officials and club employees. It will overlap with the exact time that gunman Omar Mateen began firing shots a little after 2 a.m. on June 12, 2016.
Anyone care to wager if 45 will take a moment and reflect on lives lost?

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:12 am

Reflect? He's too dull to reflect.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:53 am

:rimshot: kate!

After Trump's comments about the Mayor of London's response to the atrocity in London, it is difficult to imagine anything coming out of the hatehole in Trump's face that is less offensive than silence. I dread to think what hurtful things he might say as he took aim at some unconnected and innocent target.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:31 am

So far, his only tweet of the day is to let us know Ivanka is on Fox and Friends right now.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”