Earthquake! (or maybe Volcano!)

mimi

Earthquake! (or maybe Volcano!)

Post by mimi » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:08 pm

sorry if was posted. the earthquake in Santa Monica area today:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bi7r1xrCEAI ... g:large4.4 magnitude.

kate520

Earthquake!

Post by kate520 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:09 pm

I've heard three different epicenters so far ...Santa Monica, Encinitas and Beverly Hills.A rattle like someone dragging a heavy chair around a room. That's all.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Sterngard Friegen

Earthquake!

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:12 pm

5 seconds of strong shaking for me at 6:24. Woke me up.Shaking stopped quickly with no perceptible aftershocks.I thought it was around a 5.0.Nothing fell of the walls or seems to have cracked.

Epectitus

Earthquake!

Post by Epectitus » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Sister in Northridge reports she has no damage other than a couple nick-knacks that came off the shelves.

"Hell, I would wear a dress and ruby red slippers all year if we can prove this" - Mike Zullo

ducktape

Earthquake!

Post by ducktape » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:31 pm

Just a mild rumble here. The cats and I all looked at each other and asked "are we going to have to get up?"After 15 seconds, the answer was no.

listeme

Earthquake!

Post by listeme » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:32 pm

Son in Irvine said, "what earthquake?"

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Mr. Gneiss

Earthquake!

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:06 pm

The USGS has an [/break1]usgs.gov]Earthquake Hazards Program web site for those interested in getting more information on specific seismic events.Here is the info for today's event [/break1]usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ci15476961#summary]M4.4 - 9km NNW of Westwood, California.An aside....I didn't realize that March 27th is the 50th anniversary of [/break1]usgs.gov/videos/748#.Uyc5I87nGWg]The Great Alaska Earthquake

June bug

Earthquake!

Post by June bug » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Daughter and her guy in Culver City were shaken awake, but no damage. Their cat had been complaining for a while; they thought he just wanted food; now they wonder if he sensed it coming. :-k

DaveMuckey

Earthquake!

Post by DaveMuckey » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:33 pm

When did 4.4 become newsworthy in LA?

Citizen Like Obama

Earthquake!

Post by Citizen Like Obama » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Woke me up but it stopped before I made it to my "safe place". The cat was unimpressed. My sister who lives closer to the epicenter had things fall to the floor. I was surprised it was only a 4.4 It felt a touch stronger to me but so far nothing has come close to the Northridge quake. Here is the reaction from morning news broadcasting out of Hollywood[/break1]today.com/entertainment/los-angeles-news-anchor-goes-full-earthquake-face-during-morning-2D79383337]http://www.today.com/entertainment/los- ... 2D79383337

kate520

Earthquake!

Post by kate520 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:37 pm

I played the guessing game and got 4.9. [-( The original call was a 4.7 but they revised it downward.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

kate520

Earthquake!

Post by kate520 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:38 pm

When did 4.4 become newsworthy in LA?This is the first one I've felt in almost 4 years, Muck. Since then.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

ObjectiveDoubter

Earthquake!

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:56 pm

Epicenter: ENCINO.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-X-sMdF_Oemo/U ... _Park2.jpg

We got bounced pretty good on the second story of a brick house in Sherman Oaks. The dog jumped up on the bed and howled, too. Then there was a smaller aftershock -- which gave me comfort as I was afraid the first one wasn't the main earthquake, but a preshock as sometimes happens.

It was only a 4.5, but a lot depends on where you are and the depth of the quake. Nothing like a big one, but enough to shake us pretty good.

mimi

Earthquake!

Post by mimi » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:05 pm

Woke me up but it stopped before I made it to my "safe place". The cat was unimpressed. My sister who lives closer to the epicenter had things fall to the floor. I was surprised it was only a 4.4 It felt a touch stronger to me but so far nothing has come close to the Northridge quake. Here is the reaction from morning news broadcasting out of Hollywood[/break1]today.com/entertainment/los-angeles-news-anchor-goes-full-earthquake-face-during-morning-2D79383337]http://www.today.com/entertainment/los- ... 2D79383337That video is great.And that guy is great. He even changed his twitter avatar to his 'earthquake face' after tweeting with folks about it.[/break1]com/ChrisKTLA/with_replies]https://twitter.com/ChrisKTLA/with_replies

TexasFilly

Earthquake!

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:42 pm

That's funny. It may be good for his career!

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

magdalen77

Earthquake!

Post by magdalen77 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:30 pm

How big was the earthquake that we had on the East Coast a few years ago? While nothing much seemed to be broken or hurt by it (I think a few buildings in Philly got cracks) it was weird. I was on the fourth floor of my office building and I could feel the building sway. My l'il sis was driving around and she didn't feel anything.P.S. I found out that it was a 5.8 magnitude quake.

Estiveo

Earthquake!

Post by Estiveo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:44 pm

How big was the earthquake that we had on the East Coast a few years ago? While nothing much seemed to be broken or hurt by it (I think a few buildings in Philly got cracks) it was weird. I was on the fourth floor of my office building and I could feel the building sway. My l'il sis was driving around and she didn't feel anything.P.S. I found out that it was a 5.8 magnitude quake.Yeah, you often don't feel them when driving. During the '89 Loma Prieta quake (6.9) cars slowed and pulled over thinking they had a flat tire. Probably saved some lives on the top decks of the elevated roadways. Bottom decks, not so much.

Image Image Image Image Image

magdalen77

Earthquake!

Post by magdalen77 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:05 pm

How big was the earthquake that we had on the East Coast a few years ago? While nothing much seemed to be broken or hurt by it (I think a few buildings in Philly got cracks) it was weird. I was on the fourth floor of my office building and I could feel the building sway. My l'il sis was driving around and she didn't feel anything.P.S. I found out that it was a 5.8 magnitude quake.Yeah, you often don't feel them when driving. During the '89 Loma Prieta quake (6.9) cars slowed and pulled over thinking they had a flat tire. Probably saved some lives on the top decks of the elevated roadways. Bottom decks, not so much.It was really weird. The building swayed for like 10 or 15 seconds. The only one of us who knew what the heck it was was my one co-worker who'd lived in San Diego for a few years. The rest of us were just a bit freaked out. I swear I'd rather have 2 feet of snow than feel the earth move like that.

Mikedunford

Earthquake!

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:46 pm

It was really weird. The building swayed for like 10 or 15 seconds. The only one of us who knew what the heck it was was my one co-worker who'd lived in San Diego for a few years. The rest of us were just a bit freaked out. I swear I'd rather have 2 feet of snow than feel the earth move like that.From what I remember from my geology lab tech days, the big difference is the overall geology of the two regions. The East Coast is a passive plate margin, and there's a good solid basement rock complex. This lets earthquake waves travel (relatively) unimpeded, allowing them to both cover more ground and retain more strength over distance. The West Coast is an active margin, and the basement rocks are a lot more fractured. This slows and dissipates quake waves more effectively, so the same size quake will actually have smaller damage and shake footprints. Here's a map ([link]from a USGS site,http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2003/fs017-03/[/link]) that gives a comparison between an 1895 magnitude 6 quake in Saint Louis, and the (significantly stronger) Northridge quake. You can see how dramatic the difference really is:http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2003/fs017-03/images/madrid.jpg

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

magdalen77

Earthquake!

Post by magdalen77 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:28 pm

That makes sense because where I am is probably a good 150 miles from where the quake was centered and it was definitely felt here (in addition to causing some damage to buildings).

Whatever4

Earthquake!

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:35 pm

That makes sense because where I am is probably a good 150 miles from where the quake was centered and it was definitely felt here (in addition to causing some damage to buildings).We had pictures shake in Boston. Earthquakes are the #1 reason we never considered the left coast as an option.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

ObjectiveDoubter

Earthquake!

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:49 pm

That makes sense because where I am is probably a good 150 miles from where the quake was centered and it was definitely felt here (in addition to causing some damage to buildings).We had pictures shake in Boston.

Earthquakes are the #1 reason we never considered the left coast as an option.I understand totally (although I am here anyhow). I lived through Hurricane Hugo in 1989 while living at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. When we went to sleep at 11 pm, it was expected to go up the coast, but by 2 am, it changed course and headed inland, making a real mess as far as Charlotte. We ended up being 8 miles from the hurricane's center and it was bad. We had no power for two weeks after and some towns north of us in the mountains had no power for two months. That said, I'd rather a Hurricane any day, over an earthquake. And yet, here I am, ensconced just inches from too many fault lines, waitin' for "The Big One" we Californians are all expecting.

Estiveo

Earthquake!

Post by Estiveo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:53 pm

Earthquakes out here are sort of fun and exciting. Until you've experienced a big one. After you've been through one where people died and there was major damage...your schphincter tends to pucker at the first perceptible shake. Or when a UPS truck drives by.Almost 25 years after Loma Prieta I still tense up when a heavy truck rumbles by before I identify it as a heavy truck and not the end of the world.That said, once you realize it's a small one, you relax right away. It's like Ducky sed, You sort of wait a few beats before you decide if it's time to dive under a table or into the nearest doorway. Usually, you just go back to bed.

Image Image Image Image Image

ObjectiveDoubter

Earthquake!

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:55 pm

Earthquakes out here are sort of fun and exciting. Until you've experienced a big one. After you've been through one where people died and there was major damage...your schphincter tends to pucker at the first perceptible shake. Or when a UPS truck drives by.Almost 25 years after Loma Prieta I still tense up when a heavy truck rumbles by before I identify it as a heavy truck and not the end of the world.That said, once you realize it's a small one, you relax right away. It's like Ducky sed, You sort of wait a few beats before you decide if it's time to dive under a table or into the nearest doorway. Usually, you just go back to bed.Pretty cool description of exactly how it is! Either that or you are channeling me. :-*

vic

Earthquake!

Post by vic » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:14 am

My house is a wood-frame 2-story, and it shakes rather well upstairs. I'm a mile or so from the Northridge epicenter, and had over $100,000 in structural damage in it, so when the shaking doesn't stop after a second or so, and I start to hear stuff rattling, I get a bit tense. But this one calmed down after a few seconds, so there was nothing to worry about.The cat was a different matter. This is the first quake she's really experienced. She was sleeping on the foot of my bed, and disappeared at the first jolt. After everything quieted down, I called and she ran back in, jumped onto the bed, and started "talking" very rapidly (she is normally very quiet). I started petting her, and just about had her quieted down, when my neighbor called to ask me what I thought of the quake. At the first ring the cat was gone, and she hid most of the day.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”