Earthquake! (or maybe Volcano!)

Jeffrey

Re: Earthquake! (or maybe Volcano!)

Post by Jeffrey »

Mayor of Ponce is posting pictures:

Haven’t heard reports of damage in other towns yet.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Why Puerto Rico’s Tectonic Setting Makes Earthquakes Inevitable
Puerto Rico’s seismic sequence is entering its fifth month and is still generating large earthquakes. Here’s the tectonic story

By Dana Hunter on May 6, 2020

Puerto Rico just can't catch a break. Since December 28th of 2019, the southwestern coast of the island has experienced nearly four thousand earthquakes of M2.5 or greater. Since being severely shaken and damaged in January by a stout M6.4, plus a handful of M5+ temblors, the seismic sequence had settled into a pattern of moderate magnitude quakes, rarely exceeding M4.0 And with the onset of the novel coronavirus, most of the island's shaken citizens had returned to their homes, hoping the worst was over.

Tectonic faults, unfortunately, are heedless of human needs. Early on the morning of May 2nd, a hefty M5.4 hit, sending folks fleeing from freshly damaged homes. The sequence isn't finished, and there's no guarantee a larger earthquake won't happen in the near future.

This is the unfortunate reality of Puerto Rico's tectonic milieu. The island was born in fire, and is now squeezed between two massive plates. Today, we'll take a look at the island's general tectonic setting and seismic risk. Next time, we'll zoom in on the fault zone responsible for the current excitement. And then in the hopefully not-too-distant future, we'll have a look at some really neat tectonic features that are marvelously demonstrated in the Caribbean.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ro ... nevitable/

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I be live Monday is the 18th. 40th anniversary of the Mt St Helens eruption. I still remember. If I find the YT? Link, I'll post it, but for me one of the most striking moments was the Komo photographer stuck in the blast who kept filming even when he didn't know if he'd come out alive.

Addie

Post by Addie »

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:51 pm
I be live Monday is the 18th. 40th anniversary of the Mt St Helens eruption. I still remember. If I find the YT? Link, I'll post it, but for me one of the most striking moments was the Komo photographer stuck in the blast who kept filming even when he didn't know if he'd come out alive.
SciAm article from October 4, 2012
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ro ... ow-escape/

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:23 am
Kendra wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:51 pm
SciAm article from October 4, 2012
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ro ... ow-escape/

https://www .youtube.com/watch?v=njV9ski1gB4
That's it. Thanks for finding it.

poplove

Post by poplove »

A magnitude-6.5 earthquake struck in remote western Nevada near Tonopah early Friday, damaging U.S. Highway 95 in several areas.

The temblor, which was originally classified as magnitude 6.4 but later upgraded by the U.S. Geological Survey, was reported at 4:03 a.m. about 35 miles west of Tonopah, near Coaldale.

The quake’s depth was estimated to be 4.7 miles deep.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/loc ... y-2028663/

ETA link to article

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Interesting. Thanks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thanks for posting that.

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

I really do admire the NZ prime minister...

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has been shaken by a magnitude 5.8 earthquake during a live television interview.

Key points:
The initial tremor lasted more than 30 seconds but caused no damage
Ms Ardern assured an interviewer "I'm not under any hanging lights"
Residents on the north and south islands reported feeling the quake

Video

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-25/ ... v/12281892

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I want her to be my president. :crying:
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Lani

Post by Lani »

Me, too. I love her, especially after her response to the mosque killings. Why can't we have someone like her?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Your future prime minister speaking to you ;)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/euro ... ck-iceland
REYKJAVIK (AFP) - More than 3,000 tremors have shaken seismographs on the northern coast of Iceland over the past three days, the Icelandic Met Office (IMO) said Monday (June 22), as officials also warned of an impending volcanic eruption in the south.

Grimsvotn, the most active volcano on the island, appears to be heading for its first eruption since 2011, authorities have warned since mid-June, as high levels of sulphur dioxide indicated the presence of so-called shallow magma.

While an eruption at the Eyjafjallajokull volcano in 2010 caused a huge cloud of smoke and ash that left more than 100,000 flights cancelled and eight million passengers stranded, the effects of this eruption were expected to be less dramatic.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Reuters -

Strong earthquake shakes buildings in Mexico City, people in streets: Reuters witnesses
A very strong earthquake hit southern Mexico on Tuesday, shaking buildings in the center of the capital Mexico City hundreds of miles away and sending hundreds of people fleeing their homes into the streets.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake’s magnitude was 7.7, while Mexico’s seismological institute put its strength at 7.1. Quakes of such size can be devastating.

The earthquake was centered in the southern state of Oaxaca, the Mexican institute said.

Reuters witnesses in Mexico City saw no initial signs of injuries or damage.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image Image

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image Image

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Guardian: Mexico earthquake: 7.5-magnitude tremor hits Oaxaca state

Quake strikes in south of country but is felt more than 400 miles away in Mexico City

A 7.5-magnitude earthquake has rattled large swaths of southern and central Mexico, killing at least one person, according to the country’s president.

Mexico’s national seismological service said the quake struck the southern state of Oaxaca at 10.29am local time (1429 BST) on Tuesday but was felt more than 400 miles away in the capital, Mexico City, where buildings shook and panicked residents fled on to the streets. ...

The situation near the quake’s epicentre in Crucecita, Oaxaca, was not immediately clear. But in a social media “message to the Mexican people” president Andrés Manuel López Obrador officials said one person had been confirmed dead after a landslide along the country’s Pacific coast. Another person was injured. ...

Oaxaca’s state governor, Alejandro Murat, told Milenio Televisión the quake had triggered landslides, cut off road links between some towns and damaged some buildings, including one hospital that had been treating Covid-19 patients. Murat said the sick were being moved elsewhere. But no major buildings in the state capital appeared to have been severely damaged.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

I just realized that Jeffrey hasn’t posted for a long time. The earthquake thread made me think of him. Has anyone heard from him?
:think:
M A C A Making America Care Again :daydream:

Addie

Post by Addie »

KRON: 5.8-magnitude earthquake hits Central California

CARTAGO, Calif. (KRON) – A preliminary 5.8-magnitude earthquake hit near Sequoia National Park Wednesday.

The earthquake hit around 10:40 a.m. and was centered about 14 miles east of Cartago, or about 46 miles west of Porterville, in the Central Valley.

It had a recorded depth of 9.0 km.

There are no immediate reports of damages or injuries.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Sunrise wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:52 pm
I just realized that Jeffrey hasn’t posted for a long time. The earthquake thread made me think of him. Has anyone heard from him?
:think:
Sigh. I will send him an email. :towel:

Pretty soon we'll be down to 15 or 20 people left.

But those last 15 will think what they're told to think, dammit, or we'll chase them away too, amirite? :madguy:
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”