Post by Whatever4 »

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:16 pm
Hala Gorani

Verified account

@HalaGorani
16m16 minutes ago
More
Some good news... Paris fire department on French TV: "The structure of the cathedral will survive." #NotreDame
How stable will the outer walls of the nave be without the roof?
Interesting question. The flying buttresses brace the walls against the outward pressure of the roof, but with no outward pressure?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Mikedunford

Re: Fire!

Post by Mikedunford »

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Lani

Post by Lani »

Barack Obama ✔
@BarackObama
Notre Dame is one of the world’s great treasures, and we’re thinking of the people of France in your time of grief. It’s in our nature to mourn when we see history lost – but it’s also in our nature to rebuild for tomorrow, as strong as we can.

161K 10:25 AM - Apr 15, 2019

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Devastating on Holy Week. President Obama put it so beautifully. This is the week for resurrection and we'll all be praying for our friends in France and that Notre Dame will come back bigger and stronger than ever.

Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Mikedunford wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:18 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:16 pm
Hala Gorani

Verified account

@HalaGorani
16m16 minutes ago
More
Some good news... Paris fire department on French TV: "The structure of the cathedral will survive." #NotreDame
How stable will the outer walls of the nave be without the roof?
Depends on whether the vaulting and arches made it, I'd guess.
The entire roof and ceiling structure are gone.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

People watching the fire and singing hymns. So sad.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

kate520

Post by kate520 »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:06 pm
Oh good. I get accused of trolling for pointing out the basic moral failing of spending more emotional energy being sad about a building burning down than about children being molested.

I don't understand humanity sometimes.
That’s a fucked up statement. And untrue.
I don’t understand *you* sometimes. Are you the reasonable attorney or the arrogant curmudgeon?
You don’t have to open your mouth every single time you have a contrary thought, especially when, if you think about it for an extra moment, you might see it as hurtful to those who don’t think like you.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

In a pathetic attempt to lighten the mood and hopefully redirect the infighting, I will just say that I hope the hunchback got out safe.

I will be over there sitting in the corner on timeout. I tell my brain to behave, but does it listen? :nope:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

I confess to being both a reasonable lawyer and an arrogant curmudgeon. I am vast. I contain multitudes. I calls 'em like I sees 'em, and I try really hard not to be dishonest.

I apologize if anyone was offended by what I said about a historical building. If I keep this up, we'll all end up with an edifice complex.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/statu ... 9509912577

The Daily Beast
‏Verified account @thedailybeast

During two separate occasions on Monday afternoon, Fox anchors Shepard Smith and Neil Cavuto had to dump out of interviews after their guests wildly speculated and parroted conspiracy theories that the #NotreDameFire was an intentionally malicious act

realist

Post by realist »

Foggy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:33 pm
In a pathetic attempt to lighten the mood and hopefully redirect the infighting, I will just say that I hope the hunchback got out safe.

I will be over there sitting in the corner on timeout. I tell my brain to behave, but does it listen? :nope:
“Pathetic” is one way to describe that.
ImageX 4 ImageX36

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Dan1100 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:38 pm
https:// twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1117915529509912577
The Daily Beast t @thedailybeast

During two separate occasions on Monday afternoon, Fox anchors Shepard Smith and Neil Cavuto had to dump out of interviews after their guests wildly speculated and parroted conspiracy theories that the #NotreDameFire was an intentionally malicious act
I am astonished that nobody suggested that the Catholics wre getting punished for allowing their American clergy to molest kids :twisted:

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

RTH10260 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:01 pm
Dan1100 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:38 pm
https:// twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1117915529509912577
The Daily Beast t @thedailybeast

I am astonished that nobody suggested that the Catholics wre getting punished for allowing their American clergy to molest kids :twisted:
[/quote

They'll be back for Hannity and Fox and Friends.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Why Notre Dame matters, in one Victor Hugo passage
If we lose Notre Dame, we’re not losing only a sacred space, and not only an art treasure. Notre Dame is a symbol of human accomplishment, and more than that, of social accomplishment. It’s not the work of any one person, but of generations upon generations of labor.

:snippity:
“Victor Hugo” wrote:Great edifices, like great mountains, are the work of centuries. Art often undergoes a transformation while they are pending, pendent opera interrupta; they proceed quietly in accordance with the transformed art. The new art takes the monument where it finds it, incrusts itself there, assimilates it to itself, develops it according to its fancy, and finishes it if it can. The thing is accomplished without trouble, without effort, without reaction,— following a natural and tranquil law. It is a graft which shoots up, a sap which circulates, a vegetation which starts forth anew. Certainly there is matter here for many large volumes, and often the universal history of humanity in the successive engrafting of many arts at many levels, upon the same monument. The man, the artist, the individual, is effaced in these great masses, which lack the name of their author; human intelligence is there summed up and totalized. Time is the architect, the nation is the builder. […]

All these shades, all these differences, do not affect the surfaces of edifices only. It is art which has changed its skin. The very constitution of the Christian church is not attacked by it. There is always the same internal woodwork, the same logical arrangement of parts. […] The service of religion once assured and provided for, architecture does what she pleases. Statues, stained glass, rose windows, arabesques, denticulations, capitals, bas-reliefs,—she combines all these imaginings according to the arrangement which best suits her. Hence, the prodigious exterior variety of these edifices, at whose foundation dwells so much order and unity. The trunk of a tree is immovable; the foliage is capricious.
Hugo thinks of Notre Dame as a work of art authored by humanity itself, with no individual artist. It surpasses anything an individual can do and therefore becomes the best of what all of us can do.
https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/4/15/1 ... -hunchback
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

kate520

Post by kate520 »

:bighug:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

kate520

Post by kate520 »

we'll all end up with an edifice complex.
:lol:
(Grudgingly)
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Well, this should put the conspiracy loons in a tizzy...

JERUSALEM'S AL-AQSA MOSQUE FIRE BURNS AT THE SAME TIME AS FLAMES ENGULF NOTRE DAME CATHEDRAL IN PARIS
A fire broke out at the revered Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem just as flames ravaged the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.

Footage showing smoke and fire emerging from the roof of a structure known as the Marwani Prayer Room, or Solomon's Stables, could be seen on social media. The Palestine News Agency, the official outlet of the Palestinian National Authority, cited a guard as saying Monday that "the fire broke out in the guard's room outside the roof of the Marwani Prayer Room, and the fire brigade of the Islamic Waqf handled the matter successfully."

News of the incident at the Al-Aqsa Mosque, the third holiest site in Islam and central to the ongoing Arab-Israeli conflict, was largely overshadowed by a much larger blaze engulfing the Notre Dame Cathedral at the same time.
:snippity:
The compound as a whole is located in Old City section of East Jerusalem, initially occupied by Jordan during the 1948 Arab-Israeli conflict that followed the establishment of Israel, but later seized by Israel during a second war in 1967. Israel annexed the entirety of the city in 1980 in a move not recognized by much of the international community, though Jordan's monarchy was granted custodial rights over the Islamic holy sites.
I've heard this bull before.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I just quoted the headline as the whole page is photos and tweets without much actual print. But this sounds much better than predictions earlier in the day.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... -live-news
Notre Dame fire: spire and roof destroyed but main structure saved –
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Pictures from the interior. The stone vaults under the wood roof mostly intact, altar seems intact.

https://therightscoop.com/just-in-photo ... cC-3WbmTUo
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I wonder would Fierceredpanda consider that the church is being punished for leading the fight against Human Trafficking? Because, you know, they do other things other than fuck kids, and some of those things do redress the balance.

https://cruxnow.com/global-church/2019/ ... e-streets/

And I wonder would she ne up in arms about the fact that no-one gives a shit that there are more victims of Protestant sexual abuse than Catholic ones along with all the usual cover ups and stuff that only matter and are only shocking when CC priests do it?

https://newrepublic.com/article/142999/ ... se-scandal

This article on sexual abuse by prodestant clergy is from 2007. Pity it did not ignite a worldwide firestorm because no-one was interested and it must be great that Protestant abusers are let get away with it in the name of catholic kicking.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/16/us/16protestant.html

And lets not talk about sports organisations covering it up, which means we should cheer when a football stadium burns down. If you think FIFA is not involved in covering up massive child abuse I have a middle finger to sell you.

I only found out about the fire 20 mins ago, and it was great to come here to be told by a fanatic that we should only be feeling great about it because "Catholics fuck kids!!!" Swap "Jews" for "Catholics" and it would have made some fun Nazi literature celebrating the burning down of a Synagog and talking about how they deserve it.

And hell why not deliberately burn down churches of that child molesting sex cult? They deserve it! (Waves at jimmy Saville passing by) Funny that no-one calls the BBC a child covering up orginisation...

(Don't worry Foggy I'm not commenting on this any more. I'm used to being wrong for standing up to bigots.)
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

On the fire itself, I wonder why it spread so fast? it's a horrible tragedy for Paris regardless.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-not ... ast-2019-4

Because those bits were made out of oak. (Oak is flammable).

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya, makes sense. Oak isn't that flammable normally, but I guess anything would be like tinder after 800 odd years.

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi »

Cool down, man, Suranis.

There are no Gods who punish and even Karma is a lie.
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.
"From Not To Hot " is not my Favorite TV Show

Lani

Post by Lani »

Cross posting from the Buttigieg thread.

https://mobile.twitter.com/
yashar/status/1117957192337039361

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”