Train Wreck - Train Derailment

Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Re: Train Wreck - Train Derailment

Post by Slim Cognito »

Wow, and I thought we'd see stories like this in FL before anywhere else.

BTW, am I the only one who sees this thread and their first thought is "What has Kellyanne done now?"
ImageImageImage x4
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:05 pm
:snippity:
On a recent afternoon near Wilmington, Del., the danger already seemed imminent. North of the city, the distance between the tracks and the Delaware River was alarmingly narrow, even at low tide. Closer to downtown, puddles dotted the West Yard Substation, which powers this section of rail, as well as the Wilmington maintenance yard, one of the few in the country that can repair electric locomotives. Only a slender cobblestone footpath separated Amtrak’s Consolidated National Operations Center, which monitors and controls traffic along the corridor, from the edge of the Christina River. The single access road leading to Amtrak’s only training center for engineers was underwater on a day with no rain.
Heh.

The station I use to commute is one of the ones along this section. The river is indeed alarmingly close, the land is flat, and the soil is just a few stones away from potting clay. I am amazed there are not more problems than there are.
Whip

Post by Whip »

2-4" rain tonight/tomorrow
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Off Topic
I keep seeing this thread title pop up and at first I think it's a new Trump thread on today's DC train-wreck. Nope, but carry on
:swoon:
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Not quite a train wreck:

https://6abc.com/amtrak-train-with-183- ... y/5157340/
An Amtrak train with 183 passengers aboard has been stranded in Oregon since Sunday evening.

The Coast Starlight Train 11, traveling from Seattle to Los Angeles, came to a standstill near the tiny town of Oakridge on Sunday evening after hitting a tree that had fallen on the snow-covered tracks, according to Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari.

No passengers or crew members aboard were injured but "conditions further deteriorated with numerous track blockages from snow and fallen trees," Magliari told ABC News in a statement early Tuesday morning.
Amtrak is pretty good at taking care of passengers when things go badly. We've been stopped for a tornado and the train did not move until teams had been out to inspect the tracks for damage before we proceeded. When we've been held up by bad weather or other problems, a hotel in Chicago has been waiting for us with transportation and a food allowance.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Addie

Post by Addie »

I was thinking of you, Andy, when I read that earlier this morning. I knew you weren't on the train. :bighug:
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

The train's moving again.

https://www.upi.com/amp/Top_News/US/201 ... 551185809/
An Amtrak train stuck in the Oregon snow since Sunday got moving again Tuesday after nearly 200 passengers waited for about 36 hours, officials said.

Union Pacific, which owns the rail the Amtrak Coast Starlight uses, said a locomotive began pulling the train from its location in Oakridge, Ore., to Eugene early Tuesday.

The Coast Starlight was traveling from Seattle to Los Angeles when it hit a tree in Oakridge Sunday evening. Amtrak spokeswoman Olivia Irvin said 183 passengers were stranded aboard.

Officials said the passengers would be taken on to Portland once they arrived in Eugene.
That is one of the most spectacular and scenic train rides in the country! It's nothing but gorgeous from Seattle to LA.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:54 pm The train's moving again.

That is one of the most spectacular and scenic train rides in the country! It's nothing but gorgeous from Seattle to LA.
I concur. Beautiful trip. The Cascades with snow sheds protecting the tracks from avalanches, the farms in the Central Valley of CA, a giant horseshoe curve, the Pacific where the train runs between the road and the ocean, all spectacular. It’s a master class in what water or lack of water can do to land. Also chronically off schedule and known as the Coast Starlate.

The worst Amtrak trip I had wasn’t bad. It involved a freight derailment on a stretch of single track in Kansas. The freight ripped up the track pretty badly. So the Eastbound train and the Westbound train traveled until they were at the stations on either side of the derailment, then everyone got on buses and were driven to the other station, where they got on the other train. The trains then reversed direction and continued on. The local donut shop in Hastings NE (one of the 2 stations, and the birthplace of Kool-Aid) opened up in the wee hours and gave out free coffee and donuts. Very slickly done.

Similar process after derailments in PA.

The big problem where the Starlight stopped is that the nearest town was also completely cut off too, with no power. Trees down everywhere. I wonder if snowmobiles would have been available or helpful.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Whatever4 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:39 pm
The big problem where the Starlight stopped is that the nearest town was also completely cut off too, with no power. Trees down everywhere. I wonder if snowmobiles would have been available or helpful.
Apparently the passengers were kept on board specifically because the train still had power, heat, and food--which was more than Oakridge had! There wouldn't have been enough hotel rooms to put everyone up either (it's a small town).
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Azastan wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:55 pm
Whatever4 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:39 pm
Apparently the passengers were kept on board specifically because the train still had power, heat, and food--which was more than Oakridge had! There wouldn't have been enough hotel rooms to put everyone up either (it's a small town).
Yes, they were lucky for the heat and food. We've twice come into Chicago really late, including last year, when the train ran out of food as that was the last day of the trip. They stock for the trip, not for emergencies.
vic

Post by vic »

Off Topic
My best trip on the Coast Starlight was from Los Angeles to Seattle where we arrived 12 hours late. Normally the train would go past Mount Shasta in the night, but we were late enough to see it in the first light of dawn.
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

vic wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:36 am
Off Topic
My best trip on the Coast Starlight was from Los Angeles to Seattle where we arrived 12 hours late. Normally the train would go past Mount Shasta in the night, but we were late enough to see it in the first light of dawn.
Also
Off Topic
We were on the CS once when it came out of California from LA about eight hours late. It got into Seattle two hours early!
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

LIRR reports delays, cancellations following fatal Westbury accident

http://longisland.news12.com/story/4003 ... l-accident
As a result of Tuesday’s Long Island Rail Road fatal train and vehicle collision in Westbury, the LIRR is anticipating delays and cancellations to train service.

Service on the Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma branches is suspended between Mineola and Hicksville, with buses replacing trains.

LIRR personnel are working to re-rail the train cars involved in the accident at the School Street crossing.

Rich Barrabi

@RichBarrabi
VIDEO: @LIRR crews working to clear and replace the mangled tracks near the #Westbury School Street grade crossing. @News12LI

12:43 PM - Feb 27, 2019
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Sadly, it is almost always the car/truck's fault when a train hits a car/truck. This one sounds particularly bad.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Rich Barrabi

Verified account

@RichBarrabi
31m31 minutes ago
More
The current scene in #Westbury. That’s where the eastern portion of the @LIRR platform used to be. @News12LI
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

L.I.R.R. Accident: How a Hazardous Rail Crossing Became a Deadly Crash Site

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/27/nyre ... &smtyp=cur
It had long been considered a dangerous crossing, with more than 200 commuter trains barreling by every day, traveling up to 80 miles per hour — even as streams of cars waited to drive over the tracks. It was so worrisome it was one of seven hazardous crossings along a 20-mile stretch of Long Island Rail Road track that was scheduled to be eliminated, replaced with a bridge for trains and an underpass for vehicles.

The construction work at the School Street crossing, in Nassau County, was set to begin next year. But that was not soon enough to avoid a rush-hour tragedy on Tuesday.

Two Long Island Rail Road trains traveling in opposite directions slammed into a vehicle that had apparently driven around the crossing gates. Three people, all of them inside the vehicle, were killed.

Passengers on the two trains scrambled to safety, fleeing flames that they worried would engulf one train and dodging debris that smashed through the front of the other. Each train wobbled for a brief, terrifying moment, and panicked passengers dreaded that the cars would tip over before they could get out.
Whip

Post by Whip »

traveling up to 80 miles per hour — even as streams of cars waited to drive over the tracks.

I believe the limit at intersections is 35 mph isn't it?
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Whip wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:08 pm
traveling up to 80 miles per hour — even as streams of cars waited to drive over the tracks.

I believe the limit at intersections is 35 mph isn't it?
Not that I know of. The LIRR trains I most frequently observe don't appear to slow down before crossings.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

a vehicle that had apparently driven around the crossing gates.
Why why why?
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:35 pm
a vehicle that had apparently driven around the crossing gates.
Why why why?
Impatience. A New York State study of LIRR and Metro North observed frequent incidents of cars, bicycles and pedestrians going around gates at crossings.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I live in a city that has two sets of train tracks going through it, and I know the frustration of having to wait for the long ones to roll through. City has really been putting up any kind of barricade they can to make going around the crossing guards pretty damn hard. Plus some of the major routes that criss-cross the valley have been built up so that the road goes above the tracks.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:25 pm L.I.R.R. Accident: How a Hazardous Rail Crossing Became a Deadly Crash Site
Two Long Island Rail Road trains traveling in opposite directions slammed into a vehicle that had apparently driven around the crossing gates. Three people, all of them inside the vehicle, were killed.
If that is what happened (if!), in my opinion the driver of the vehicle absolutely deserved to die. I do not understand and cannot forgive that level of murderous stupidity. There is never any excuse for driving around crossing barriers. Those barriers are not like (for example) rock fall signs warning people warning of a small possibility of a problem. No, if crossing barriers are closed it means that a big heavy unstoppable train will definitely be thundering through very soon.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Kendra wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:46 pm I live in a city that has two sets of train tracks going through it, and I know the frustration of having to wait for the long ones to roll through. City has really been putting up any kind of barricade they can to make going around the crossing guards pretty damn hard. Plus some of the major routes that criss-cross the valley have been built up so that the road goes above the tracks.
But commuter and passenger trains are short and go through quickly. Not like 10-minute freights.
Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:47 pm
If that is what happened (if!), in my opinion the driver of the vehicle absolutely deserved to die. I do not understand and cannot forgive that level of murderous stupidity. There is never any excuse for driving around crossing barriers. Those barriers are not like (for example) rock fall signs warning people warning of a small possibility of a problem. No, if crossing barriers are closed it means that a big heavy unstoppable train will definitely be thundering through very soon.
In general, yes.

But I (and I bet Kendra has as well) have sat for many minutes at some of the at-grade crossings in the Kent Valley where workers are switching trains on tracks, and as long as the train is within a certain distance of the crossing, that crossing gate will be down. It's not because of a train actually moving along the track and crossing, either. The train cars will be sitting on the track, not moving, and the automobile cars will be sitting on the road, also not moving.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:50 pm
Kendra wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:46 pm I live in a city that has two sets of train tracks going through it, and I know the frustration of having to wait for the long ones to roll through. City has really been putting up any kind of barricade they can to make going around the crossing guards pretty damn hard. Plus some of the major routes that criss-cross the valley have been built up so that the road goes above the tracks.
But commuter and passenger trains are short and go through quickly. Not like 10-minute freights.
Agreed. In my world one set of tracks is shared by Amtrak, commuter train and the long trains too. About half a mile away there's another set of tracks that's all freight day and night. Thankfully there's a 'back way' smaller road where there's a bridge for the train to go over the road. Those freight trains hauling freight from the Port of Seattle on to their final destination can be terribly long.

Every once in a while ALL the crossings are down due to technical problems and then there's no getting around anything east to west :crying:

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”