Train Wreck - Train Derailment

neeneko

Re: Train Wreck - Train Derailment

Post by neeneko » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:09 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:04 pm
Amtrak again.
Amtrak train breaks apart at 125 mph
The platform I wait at for my daily commute has Acela trains rocket through it on a curve. I now have mini panic attacks every morning when I worry one of them is going to derail and take out my entire little station.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:42 pm
Seems that CSX switched the Amtrak train to the wrong track. This mistake may have been compounded by the Amtrak train then missing a signal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/04/us/a ... olina.html
The CSX train was stationary, and appeared to be on the correct track, Gov. Henry McMaster said at a news conference on Sunday. “It appears that Amtrak was on the wrong track,” he said. CSX operates the track, according to its online system map.

:snippity:

While it was too early to speculate as to what might have happened, “it appears that one or the other of the trains failed to obey a signal,” Steven Ditmeyer, an industry consultant and former federal railroad official, said in a phone interview on Sunday.
Some reports have the signals turned off for PTC testing. It will be interesting to see the result, because it sounds like CSX really dropped the ball on this one.

There have been reports that the crossing gates in the GOP accident had been coming down for hours with no train in site. That might be a reason for a truck to go around (not that we have to had that happen in my area and the signals are fine). The tracks here are also CSX.

CSX has had increasing safety issues (and fail to deliver issues) ever since they brought in Harrison who fast-tracked his changes to "increase value." When Hunter Harrrison did similar changes at CN and Canadian Pacific, he took more time and CN still had some serious safety issues. It will be interesting how this plays out, especially since Harrison died recently.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:31 pm

The city where I live, which has two major sets of tracks carrying Amtrak, Sound Transit and freight, has either built up the roads to go over the tracks, and if that's not possible, they've made it so there's no way of driving around when the warning things are down. Screws up traffic big time if they're all malfunctioning, but then again there's a lot less car/train collisions.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:53 pm

Kendra wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:31 pm
The city where I live, which has two major sets of tracks carrying Amtrak, Sound Transit and freight, has either built up the roads to go over the tracks, and if that's not possible, they've made it so there's no way of driving around when the warning things are down. Screws up traffic big time if they're all malfunctioning, but then again there's a lot less car/train collisions.
Crozet is a very small town so they likely have less robust safety features at railroad crossings. That said, some drivers (and pedestrians) just refuse to pay attention and end up in front of a train. We even had issues where Metra trains were halted to remove a vehicle that was nowhere near a crossing. It was flying down a road that curves next to the track, failed to make the turn and launch itself into the air. It landed on the tracks.

Oh, and hitting things happens way too often. The train after mine today hit a pedestrian. This happens all of the time.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:25 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:53 pm
Oh, and hitting things happens way too often. The train after mine today hit a pedestrian. This happens all of the time.
3 of the last 6 trips I made between Chicago and Jackson on the City of New Orleans were delayed for hours after hitting something on the tracks. Once it was a bicycle, which ripped the hydraulic lines from under the train somewhere and once it was about a foot of freight train that didn't quiiiiite clear the tracks on the siding to allow us to pass, and the third time they never did tell us what happened.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:59 pm

Locked track switch blamed in fatal South Carolina Amtrak crash
Reuters Staff

(Reuters) - A locked track switch was blamed for the collision of an Amtrak passenger train with a freight train that killed two people and injured more than 100 in South Carolina on Sunday, raising questions about the delayed rollout of a system to prevent such crashes.

The head of the National Transportation Safety Board said a switch on the tracks, which the freight hauler CSX Corp (CSX.O) owns and operates, was padlocked in a position that steered the Amtrak train onto a siding near South Carolina’s state capital Columbia, where it crashed into a stationary unoccupied CSX train.

Robert Sumwalt, the chairman of the NTSB, told reporters Monday at a press briefing that track signals were inoperative because they were being upgraded for positive train control or PTC, a system designed to prevent derailments or crashes caused by excessive speed.

Investigators have conducted interviews and retrieved preliminary data from the Amtrak locomotive, which showed the horn was sounded seven seconds before the recording ended, Sumwalt said.

Investigators want to understand why the switch was left in a position that sent the train to an occupied track, triggering Amtrak’s fourth fatal crash since early December

“Just because we might find that somebody made a mistake, doesn’t mean that’s the end of the investigation,” Sumwalt said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1FP1HL

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:45 am

I do some safety consulting work for Metra, but on OSHA type issues, not DOT issues. These are two different sets of regulations with different goals.

I wonder if this accident wasn't the result of a failure of a lock out/ tag out process

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:01 am

Chilidog wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:45 am
I wonder if this accident wasn't the result of a failure of a lock out/ tag out process
Apparently they did lock out the switch - the wrong way.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

tek

Post by tek » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:22 am

What I've gleaned from rail-ish forums is:
- The freight had a warrant to line the switch for the siding and back onto the siding
- The freight crew was responsible for re-lining the switch before they reported clear and released the warrant.
- The freight crew didn't re-line the switch.

When track warrants are in use and signals are not operating, there are very detailed records that are to be kept about any manual switch movement.. will be interesting to see if that form shows the switch re-lined with a time and a signature..

It's from the internet, so YMMV..
There's no way back
from there to here

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:52 am

Meanwhile on the North Fork maintenance to prevent a potential train wreck.

LIRR culvert in Aquebogue needs work, DEC seeks comment

http://riverheadnewsreview.timesreview. ... s-comment/
The culvert that runs underneath the Long Island Rail Road tracks and Hubbard Avenue in Aquebogue is due for some rehabilitation, and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation is seeking comment on a proposal for the work.

The LIRR owns the so-called Indian Island culvert, but the land it’s on is part of Suffolk County’s Indian Island Park.

:snippity:

The original culvert was installed in 1888.

The work is expected to begin around June, once DEC wetlands permits are secured, according to LIRR spokesperson Sarah Armaghan. The overall job is expected to take six to eight weeks, and the construction is expected to have any effect on rail service and minimal effect on vehicle traffic, she said. A short-term single lane road closure may be required for safe ingress and egress of materials, she said.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:23 pm

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/ ... 3?lo=ap_a1
A top official charged with overseeing the safety of the nation's railroads has resigned "effective immediately," the Department of Transportation said Saturday after POLITICO raised questions about whether he was simultaneously working as a public relations consultant in Mississippi.

The news comes at a time of strain for the Federal Railroad Administration, which hasn’t had a permanent leader for more than a year while it investigates a string of fatal train crashes and deals with a rising trend of rail-related deaths.

Heath Hall became the Federal Railroad Administration's acting chief after being appointed deputy administrator in June. But he subsequently appeared at least twice in local media reports last summer as a sheriff's spokesman in Madison County, Miss., where he has long run a public relations and political consulting firm.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:14 pm

ABC News

@ABC

NEW: Amtrak suspends service along northeast corridor as Nor'easter pummels East Coast.
http://
abcn.ws/2oL4Xzg

12:07 PM - Mar 2, 2018
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:12 pm

Aerial footage shows scene after train strikes tanker truck hauling more than 44,000 pounds of hydrochloric acid in Pennsylvania; several people are being treated for exposure, and about 15 residents are being evacuated to a local fire station. http://abcn.ws/2FWRuwd

tek

Post by tek » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:41 pm

That's a pretty crappy crossing..
t1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Yes. It. Is.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:56 pm

tek wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:41 pm
That's a pretty crappy crossing..
Wow.

So looks like warning lights, but no gate?

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:10 pm

Doesn't look that unusual. Lots of industrial is near rail access, even if it's not actively issuing rail transport today. And lots of driveways that cross tracks lack gates.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:30 pm

There are no warning lights, only white Railroad Crossing signs. The truck was probably going into the industrial area opposite the crossing.

In the Streetview image taken in 2012, there is a hand painted, orange background sign that says "No Semis".

tek

Post by tek » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:36 pm

The news article I read said crossbucks, but did not mention lights.. Assuming the news article had the correct location, I just pulled up street view:
Untitled-1.jpg
If you're making the turn off 88 and the train is coming up behind you...

Mike is right, these are not that uncommon.. there are some in northern mass off Rt 2.. those do have lights however..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:47 pm

tek wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:36 pm
The news article I read said crossbucks, but did not mention lights.. Assuming the news article had the correct location, I just pulled up street view:

Untitled-1.jpg

Mike is right, these are not that uncommon.. there are some in northern mass off Rt 2.. those do have lights however..
Also assuming no changes have been made in 6 years.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:23 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:47 pm
tek wrote:

Untitled-1.jpg

Given the topography, with the hill alongside the road, it's not real likely any changes have been made. There are lots of road and hills like that around here.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:57 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:23 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
tek wrote:

Untitled-1.jpg

Given the topography, with the hill alongside the road, it's not real likely any changes have been made. There are lots of road and hills like that around here.
I was thinking more like adding lights/crossbars. They came through and added crossbars at the crossing in my parent's front yard about 3 or 4 years ago. It was from some sort of federal funding program for rail safety and they added and upgraded a bunch of crossing signals, supposedly around the country.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:12 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:57 am
AndyinPA wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:23 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:

I was thinking more like adding lights/crossbars. They came through and added crossbars at the crossing in my parent's front yard about 3 or 4 years ago. It was from some sort of federal funding program for rail safety and they added and upgraded a bunch of crossing signals, supposedly around the country.
That's possible. I live close to Route 88, drive on it frequently, but not usually so far into the country from here as this is.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:20 am

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:30 pm
In the Streetview image taken in 2012, there is a hand painted, orange background sign that says "No Semis".
Given the low speed the train seemed to be operating at, I can both see why there should not be semis and why a semi driver would have little excuse for not being out of the way in time short of some kind of stuck condition.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Watching the noon news today, they said the driver was trying to beat the train. He's lucky he's alive, particularly with a turn across the tracks. Looking at the film, it didn't look like there was anything new added to the crossing since that photo from 2006.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”