Plane Crash - Jet Crash

tek

Re: Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Post by tek » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:24 pm

on first glance, looks similar to a SW 737-700 event a couple years ago..
http://aerossurance.com/safety-manageme ... lure-b737/

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

vic

Post by vic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:29 pm

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/0 ... e-on-fire/
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — One passenger has died of injuries suffered when a Southwest Airlines plane made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport after an engine blew out as the plane left LaGuardia Airport in New York on Tuesday morning.

The National Transportation Safety Board said one passenger has died of injuries suffer when debris from the engine blew out a window.
:snippity:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:26 pm

vic wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:29 pm
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — One passenger has died of injuries suffered when a Southwest Airlines plane made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport after an engine blew out as the plane left LaGuardia Airport in New York on Tuesday morning.

The National Transportation Safety Board said one passenger has died of injuries suffer when debris from the engine blew out a window.
I've seen 3 different news stories with headlines that say "1 dead" but when you read the story, the fatality isn't mentioned. Very odd.

vic

Post by vic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:26 pm
vic wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:29 pm

I've seen 3 different news stories with headlines that say "1 dead" but when you read the story, the fatality isn't mentioned. Very odd.
I had gotten a new’s alert on my phone, but when I search with Google to find a story about it most were hours old and only spoke in generalities. This was the first reputable source I found which actually referenced the NTSB.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:31 pm

vic wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:30 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:26 pm
I had gotten a new’s alert on my phone, but when I search with Google to find a story about it most were hours old and only spoke in generalities. This was the first reputable source I found which actually referenced the NTSB.
Yeah, it was pretty strange they kept the headlines updated but not the actual stories.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:08 pm

The Washington Post says a person was killed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr- ... 70b1169556

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:23 pm

I don’t think any of the articles mentioned whether her seatbelt was on. Probably not if they were at the point in the flight where the WiFi kicks in, as one man said. Poor woman. :brokenheart:

That’s terrifying. We’re deciding this week whether to drive or fly to Asheville NC for vacation in July. This is going on my list of pros and cons in the pro-driving column.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:48 pm

A Southwest Airlines jet blew an engine at 32,000 feet and got hit by shrapnel that smashed a window, setting off a desperate scramble by passengers to save a woman from getting sucked out. She later died, and seven others were injured.

Passengers dragged the woman back in as the sudden decompression of the cabin pulled her part way through the opening, but she was gravely injured.

The dead woman was identified as Jennifer Riordan, a Wells Fargo bank executive and mother of two from Albuquerque, New Mexico. She was the first passenger killed in an accident involving a U.S. airline since 2009. The seven other victims suffered minor injuries.
http://www.kltv.com/story/37976115/1-de ... sucked-out

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:50 pm

kate520 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:23 pm
That’s terrifying. We’re deciding this week whether to drive or fly to Asheville NC for vacation in July. This is going on my list of pros and cons in the pro-driving column.
This is the first US commercial aviation death in almost a decade. There were over 40,000 highway fatalities in the US last year alone.

I'd put those numbers in the "pro-flying" column.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks, Trump.

As I recall he made a statement last year that commercial aviation was safer than ever under his administration.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:14 am

The pilot was a woman, Tammie Jo Shults. She was totally professional, saved 149 people, and gave hugs to everyone as they got off the plane.

Huh. I heard that women are emotional and unstable and stuff. What a crock that is.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/18/us/south ... index.html

The point of no return is no longer even visible in your rearview mirror. :-

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:19 am

kate520 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:23 pm
I don’t think any of the articles mentioned whether her seatbelt was on. Probably not if they were at the point in the flight where the WiFi kicks in, as one man said. Poor woman. :brokenheart:

Off Topic
I am so looking forward to seeing you there!

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:23 am

Foggy wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:14 am
The pilot was a woman, Tammie Jo Shults.
Bloody women drivers!

realist

Post by realist » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:35 am

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:48 pm
A Southwest Airlines jet blew an engine at 32,000 feet and got hit by shrapnel that smashed a window, setting off a desperate scramble by passengers to save a woman from getting sucked out. She later died, and seven others were injured.

Passengers dragged the woman back in as the sudden decompression of the cabin pulled her part way through the opening, but she was gravely injured.

The dead woman was identified as Jennifer Riordan, a Wells Fargo bank executive and mother of two from Albuquerque, New Mexico. She was the first passenger killed in an accident involving a U.S. airline since 2009. The seven other victims suffered minor injuries.
http://www.kltv.com/story/37976115/1-de ... sucked-out
Yes, a well-known family in Albuquerque and NM.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:53 am

Very tragic. The victim was a beautiful woman with two young sons.

Someone close to me works for SWA and they are devastated.

CBS has a story up about the pilot, a woman named Tammy Jo Shults:
Shults was among the first female fighter pilots in the U.S. military, according to friends and the alumni group at Shults' alma mater, MidAmerica Nazarene.

Passenger Alfred Tumlinson, of Corpus Christi, Texas, lauded Shults and her crew for their professionalism.

"She has nerves of steel. That lady, I applaud her. I'm going to send her a Christmas card - I'm going to tell you that - with a gift certificate for getting me on the ground. She was awesome," Tumlinson said. "The lady, the crew, everything, everybody was immaculate. They were so professional in what they did to get us on the ground."

Shults' brother-in-law, Gary Shults, said her husband also is a Southwest pilot and told him she had made the emergency landing.

"She's a formidable woman, as sharp as a tack," said Gary Shults, a dentist in San Antonio. "My brother says she's the best pilot he knows. She's a very caring, giving person who takes care of lots of people."

Passengers said she walked through the aisle and talked with them to make sure they were OK after the plane touched down.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/southwest- ... jo-shults/

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:25 am

The passenger killed was a Wells Fargo executive.

How long before the Wells Fargo board of directors blame Everything on her?

How long before someone comes up with a theory that this crash wasn't an accident?

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:51 am

I've been flying Allegiant quite a bit. It's a cheap, quick non-stop flight back home, leaving from a small regional airport near me rather than spending the day changing planes from the usual international airports. Never had any complaints. Both brothers called me Sunday night to warn me about the 60 Minutes expose so I figured it's back to Southwest and changing planes in St. Louis. Then this happened.

I'm probably going to stick with Allegiant.

Trying to coordinate goggies to Trumpies in trouble:
Manafort's bankers are not good boys and girls.
ImageImageImage x4

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:04 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:51 am
I've been flying Allegiant quite a bit. It's a cheap, quick non-stop flight back home, leaving from a small regional airport near me rather than spending the day changing planes from the usual international airports. Never had any complaints. Both brothers called me Sunday night to warn me about the 60 Minutes expose so I figured it's back to Southwest and changing planes in St. Louis. Then this happened.

Did you watch the 60 Minutes segment?

SWA has a great safety record. But, it's your life.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:10 pm

She is one steely-ass pilot.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:32 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:10 pm
:thumbs: I listened to the recording where she reported the problem. She was very cool and calm.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Guppy, irrational fears are irrational.

Ever since my mom passed, nearly 25 years ago, (not on a plane), I’m a white-knuckle flyer. Didn’t used to be, I was nonchalant as shit flying several times a year from DC to LA, but something about this very personal reminder of our mortality hit me hard. Weird, because I’m not afraid of death. I don’t wanna go yet, I’m not ready, but I’m not afraid. Everything but airline travel has returned to my normal since then.

Howsomever, yesterday was like a trifecta of my irrational fears about flying coming true, as if I were there
- boom, there goes an engine, holy shit! the window! - oh, that poor woman, and now we’ve landed. Safely. All 148 of us - and it wasn’t the worst thing ever for them. I’m fact, seeing the coverage, interviews with passengers and articles about the pilot, it’s nearly eradicated the butterflies that attack when I even think about flying. We’re going to fly Southwest. :lovestruck:

(Maybenaut, eeeeeek! Me, too!)

ETA: Much cheaper than years of therapy!!

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:41 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:04 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:51 am

Did you watch the 60 Minutes segment?

SWA has a great safety record. But, it's your life.
Yes, I did. Then, two days later, a SW jet engine blew up and a lady died.

Trying to coordinate goggies to Trumpies in trouble:
Manafort's bankers are not good boys and girls.
ImageImageImage x4

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:06 am

RVInit wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:32 pm
RoadScholar wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:10 pm
:thumbs: I listened to the recording where she reported the problem. She was very cool and calm.
But this sort of event is when airline pilots earn their wages, not when they're being bus drivers. I don't recall hearing any story of airline pilots being frantic or anything other than calm (or calmish) in similar situations ... except, occasionally, in those final oh shhh.... moments when the plane is imminently about to impact the scenery.

One change noted by air incident researchers some years ago was that in the decades shortly after WW2 most commercial pilots were former military pilots but gradually that supply weakened in most countries, although less so in the US (with its large armed forces and many wars). A key difference between civil and military experience was that military pilots encountered danger and unexpected situations whereas civil aviation frowns on deviations from the boringly mundane. Modern airline pilot training aims to replicate emergencies in simulators, but I guess having actually done that exciting stuff in real life (as this pilot had) will always give you an edge.

My real admiration is for the cabin crew. For the pilots, there's the sense of "right, I'm on, now I do my job, now I earn my wages" and it's a defined problem to be solved using training, knowledge and experience. In the cabin, the crew are faced with a rapidly developing situation, a mass of terrified passengers and the need to avert chaos. They, more than the pilots (in my view), exemplify ordinary people becoming heroes when disaster occurs.

Obviously the death and injuries are tragic, but it's also important to note that such a serious problem ended up with fewer casualties than many relatively minor road accidents occurring every day, random events that change - or destroy - whole families' lives.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:44 am

Our flying reporter Juan Browne from the Orovile Disaster thread explains some points on this Southwest incident

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:06 pm

Does Southwest give appropriate time and attention to routine maintenance?

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”