Another Industrial Disaster - Tragedy

Addie

Another Industrial Disaster - Tragedy

Post by Addie » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:42 pm

Politico

'Pipelines blow up and people die'

After a series of deadly accidents, Congress created an office to oversee the nation’s oil and gas pipelines. A decade later, it’s become the can’t-do agency.

Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Volkonski

Re: Another Industrial Disaster - Tragedy

Post by Volkonski » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:36 pm

We saw the smoke from this explosion this morning.

1 injured in fire at troubled Pasadena plant

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayar ... fef2ca2263
The fire started at the Pasadena Refinery System plant at 10:15 AM at the hydrogen desulfurization unit. Mark Berlinger, health and safety manager for the company, said the fire was contained and the facility was in a "safe condition."

The company and Harris County Pollution Control did air monitoring and found "no indications of any off-site impacts," according to Berlinger.

The Houston Ship Channel closed briefly as Coast Guard hazmat teams also investigated the scene for any impact from possible chemical release in the air or any impact on the waterways. It has since reopened.
The injured worker was taken to the hospital for flash burns to his hand. Berlinger said the worker was responsive at the scene and talking to co-workers.

Officials abruptly ended the press conference after four minutes and refused to answer questions about how many workers were in the area at the time of the incident or whether the fire was preceded by an explosion. They also did not address questions about neighbors' concerns regarding the plant's operations or the facility's expired Title 5 permit.
Seems this facility has had serious problems for a long time.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:09 pm

A lot of bad shit can come out of a malfunctioning desulfurization unit. And they're operating on an expired Title V permit? In PA they'd be in a world of trouble.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:14 pm

Well, that's a bullshit story. If their Title V permit expired in 2014 they aren't "technically operating illegally". They are operating illegally. Why hasn't someone, either TCEQ or EPA gone to court to get their ass shut down?

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:53 pm

Because Federal regulation of Industry is the work of Satan. 8-)

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:12 pm

RoadScholar wrote:Because Federal regulation of Industry is the work of Satan. 8-)
I guess this pissed me off more than normal because I work for an environmental protection agency. I don't know what it's like in Texas, but a refinery here would not be operating without a Title V permit. The only way I could see it happening would be if they had come to some legal agreement to continue operating whilst they got their shit together. And that would include an approved compliance plan with lots of interim deadlines and stipulated penalties for not meeting the deadlines. In other words we'd be on their ass until they got whatever the problem that was keeping them from getting a permit renewal fixed.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:17 pm

magdalen77 wrote:
RoadScholar wrote:Because Federal regulation of Industry is the work of Satan. 8-)
I guess this pissed me off more than normal because I work for an environmental protection agency. I don't know what it's like in Texas, but a refinery here would not be operating without a Title V permit. The only way I could see it happening would be if they had come to some legal agreement to continue operating whilst they got their shit together. And that would include an approved compliance plan with lots of interim deadlines and stipulated penalties for not meeting the deadlines. In other words we'd be on their ass until they got whatever the problem that was keeping them from getting a permit renewal fixed.
Damned liberal fascist! :P

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:32 pm

magdalen77 wrote:
The blowup of the TX fertilizer plant in 2013 was also operating on little regulations...

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Can you be both liberal and a fascist? ;)

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:34 pm

magdalen77 wrote:Can you be both liberal and a fascist? ;)
Not in reality. Where's the tongue in cheek emoticon?

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:36 pm

Plutodog wrote:
I don't know that we have one.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:30 pm

magdalen77 wrote:
Plutodog wrote:
I don't know that we have one.
Yeah, I was actually more sarcasm in cheek, though so there is that.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:52 pm

'Major incident' confirmed at Canada's largest refinery after reports of explosion

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/08/explosi ... rgest.html
Irving Oil confirmed a "major incident" at its refinery in St. John, New Brunswick, after residents reported an explosion at the facility, a critical source of fuel to the U.S. Northeast.

The explosion reportedly rocked the neighborhood around the refinery, which is Canada's largest.

The plant has the capacity to refine 320,000 barrels per day of gasoline, diesel heating oil, jet fuel and other petroleum products.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:52 pm
'Major incident' confirmed at Canada's largest refinery after reports of explosion

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/08/explosi ... rgest.html

:snippity:
Irving Oil tweeted that all employees and contractors have been accounted for. Several contractors were being treated for non-life threatening injuries related to the incident, the company said.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:29 pm

Situation stabilized at Saint John oil refinery following explosion, fire
Irving Oil says all workers safely accounted for, although a handful had to be treated in hospital
Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon, Elizabeth Fraser · CBC News · Posted: Oct 08, 2018 10:40 AM AT | Last Updated: an hour ago

Eight hours after an explosion and fire at the Irving Oil refinery in Saint John shook the city and sent several contractors to hospital with non-life threatening injuries, the situation has been stabilized, Emergency Measures Organization officials say.

"EMO is no longer recommending that area residents shelter in place," the organization posted on Twitter shortly after 6 p.m. AT.

The New Brunswick Department of Environment and Department of Health are monitoring air quality around the east-side refinery and "have not identified any concerns to public health," it said.

The Saint John Fire Department has begun releasing some of its crews and equipment from the site and all streets have reopened to traffic.

A malfunction in a diesel-treating unit is believed to be the source of the "bed-shaking" blast that sent flames shooting an estimated 30 metres high and saw a plume of black smoke cover most of the city's east side shortly after 10 a.m.

The unit, which removes sulphur from diesel, has been isolated and the rest of the refinery has been shut down "out of an abundance of caution," said Irving Oil's chief refining and supply officer Kevin Scott.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brun ... -1.4854460

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:44 am

This is the former Sunoco Refinery that opened in 1866.

Explosions Rock Largest Refinery on East Coast in Philadelphia
Residents reported debris falling from the sky blocks away from the Philadelphia Energy Solutions refinery

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/nati ... d_nn_tw_ma
A massive fire and series of explosions rocked a South Philadelphia refinery complex, the largest on the East Coast, early Friday morning. The blast jolted people from their sleep miles from the scene, but no injuries were reported.

The blaze at the Philadelphia Energy Solutions refinery erupted shortly after 4 a.m. Some residents in Philadelphia said the explosions knocked art off their walls. The blasts were felt as far as South Jersey.

"We've just had an explosion with heavy fire; [the commander] is requesting a third alarm for this location," a fire official relayed to dispatchers shortly after the largest blast.

One resident who lives next to the complex said "I thought it was a meteor or something" after seeing a mushroom-shaped cloud rising from the facility.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:18 am

Refinery fires are no joke. We had one blow up in 2009 and the shockwave could be felt for miles.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/ameri ... index.html

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:58 am

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:26 pm

Looks like a pressure vessel exploded. I wonder if that is the old ARCO Philly Refinery? That's a really old facility.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:34 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:58 am
Something I am finding confusing about the reporting is that they keep talking about the fire happening at 4am, but I was driving by the place around 5:30pm last night and there was a fire around there already.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:04 pm

neeneko wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:34 pm

Something I am finding confusing about the reporting is that they keep talking about the fire happening at 4am, but I was driving by the place around 5:30pm last night and there was a fire around there already.
You probably saw a flare. Refineries are constantly burning off small amounts of waste gas. Flares are usually 100' to 200' tall. They always have a flame on top. A large refinery will have several of them.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:10 pm

Hmm, I did a little research on Philadelphia Energy Solutions. This refinery is what used to be the ARCO refinery and a Chevron refinery. About PES:
In 2012, Philadelphia Energy Solutions (PES) was formed as a result of a partnership between The Carlyle Group and Sunoco Inc., which is a subsidiary of Energy Transfer Partners, L.P. family of companies. PES separated the combined refineries into separate business units and now operates as a refining complex made up of the two domestic refineries – Girard Point and Point Breeze – with a combined processing rate of 335,000 barrels a day (14 million U.S. gallons) of crude oil. It remains the largest oil refining complex on the U.S. Eastern seaboard.
https://pes-companies.com/refining-complex/history/

Remember The Carlyle Group? It was a private equity company similar to Mitt Romney's Bain Capital that came under scrutiny during the 2012 election cycle for the lavish compensation of its executives.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:45 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:04 pm
You probably saw a flare. Refineries are constantly burning off small amounts of waste gas. Flares are usually 100' to 200' tall. They always have a flame on top. A large refinery will have several of them.
It was not a flare. Billowing black/brown smoke. I live right around the refineries, what I saw last night looked more like what you would get from an auto or building fire.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:02 pm

How much of the US overall/Eastern US gasoline refining capacity does this refinery represent?

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:34 pm

Somerset wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:02 pm
How much of the US overall/Eastern US gasoline refining capacity does this refinery represent?
According to the link I posted above this refinery is rated 335,000 BPD (barrels per day). The total US refining capacity is 18.6 million BPD. I know there are other refineries in PA, NJ, Delaware area. It might cause a small shortage of products in that market. The PES refinery might not be completely down. The fire appeared to be confined to one or two units. Older refineries especially tend to have multiple crude trains so I'd bet it's not completely down. Also refineries tend to keep a few weeks of product in storage to allow for some outages. I would guess whatever unit(s) were involved in this fire will be down for months for repairs though.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”