Weather Alerts

AndyinPA

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:11 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:04 pm
We have a lot of dead ash trees from the emerald ash bore. But the forest service guy told us to leave them unless they’re close to the house, which they are not.

Meanwhile, the power came back on for a little while. But it’s off again.
That's what's killed ours, too. But we've already had a few that went down in storms. They didn't endanger the house, but a few others are. One just missed the house. One of them is about 80-100 feet tall, our tallest tree other than a few oaks. It won't miss.

So far. so good with the power here.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:33 pm

Volkonskis have lived in Scituate since the 19th Century. Other families into which Volkonskis married have lived there since the 17th Century. I have a 1st cousin who still lives there. So I take an interest in what happens there which currently is the big storm.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:56 pm

Meanwhile on the North Fork-

The river front side of Riverhead, NY yesterday about noon.

Iron Pier Beach today.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:03 pm

That does not look like fun.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:32 pm

Sprout’s tutor brought this story to his attention yesterday:
Passengers and pilots on a United Airlines flight bound for Washington Dulles International Airport were in for a sickening surprise Friday, when a windstorm caused severe turbulence.

Nearly everyone on the flight vomited, according to an urgent report filed with the National Weather Service's aviation center.
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/weir ... 61103.html

:sick:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:42 pm

Winter Storm Riley killed six people in the Northeast. Falling trees and branches were the immediate cause in all six deaths. I have seen two trees ripped from the ground in forests in this New Haven area town.

Many more families have lost their basements and first floors, which often have very expensive equipment such as furnaces and kitchens. It was awesome to see trucks floating down flooded streets.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:31 am

Meanwhile on the North Fork a falling power pole smashed a water line.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:01 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:14 pm

All our plants that are in pots are inside. Inside the spare bedroom. Inside the computer room. Inside my sewing room. Inside the hall bathtub......

It mostly kills buds and blooms on the plants in the ground though, not the whole plant. The weather has been so crazy I already have leaves on my wisteria...well, I did until this week, and the camellia blooms are frozen solid. I suspect the buds on my Japanese magnolia are history too. The bougainvillea looks ok so far, but my mandevilla is probably toast and I can't even bring myself to look at my hummingbird tree yet.
So the camellia bloomed anyway, even after the buds froze. More blooms and a darker red than we've had in years. We lost some blooms on the Japanese magnolia but it was beautiful when it bloomed anyway. My spirea, quince and forsythia bloomed perfectly, but alas, we appear to have lost the hummingbird tree, the oleander and possibly the grandfather's beard. My bottlebrush tree, blooming ginger and pomegranate are all history but my gardenias have tons of leaves. Still waiting on signs of life from the banana tree.

Not surprisingly, the wisteria appears to be totally unaffected. No blooms at all one day, everywhere the next. They are very pale this year, so I'm hoping since we finally managed to get rid of the purple one in the back yard, after a years-long battle to the death with it, that this one might revert back to white, or at least pale lavender.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:50 pm

The third storm in 2 weeks! Good time to be in Texas. ;)

RiverheadLOCAL
@RiverheadLOCAL

Winter storm watch issued for heavy snow Monday night into Tuesday, with possible accumulations of up to a foot.
http://
ow.ly/OzrB30iSKvH

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:17 pm

Our winter here has not really been a bad one. We've had some long periods of cold (weeks), but then it would warm up. Any snow we had (never more than about four inches, mostly less) then melted away. We did have a fair amount of rain and some flooding, so I guess we are okay with the total precipitation for the winter, even if not in the form of snow. I am not complaining. For me, when February gives way to March winter is over. We may get more snow, sometimes even a big storm, but I know I'm not going to be looking at it for long.

But east of us in the other half of PA, it's been very different. They have been hit by the nor'easters and as hard as has the east coast in general. I really feel for them. I feel like spring is right around the corner. Drive not too far away, though, and it's really different. The winter has been a wild ride for a lot of places.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:35 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:17 pm
But east of us in the other half of PA, it's been very different. They have been hit by the nor'easters and as hard as has the east coast in general. I really feel for them. I feel like spring is right around the corner. Drive not too far away, though, and it's really different. The winter has been a wild ride for a lot of places.
On the south east end of PA, I've found the storms to be pretty light. We are not even getting snow this 3rd time around, and the previous two hits got a lot of attention but were really not that bad for a winter storm. Unusual for so late, but if they had hit in january they still would have been pretty 'meh'

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:12 pm

neeneko wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:35 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:17 pm
On the south east end of PA, I've found the storms to be pretty light. We are not even getting snow this 3rd time around, and the previous two hits got a lot of attention but were really not that bad for a winter storm. Unusual for so late, but if they had hit in january they still would have been pretty 'meh'
Good! I thought the Philly area had had a lot more snow, not all winter, but out of these last few storms. I'd heard of a lot of power outages, but maybe that was more the winds. It's March! :clap:

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:25 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:12 pm
Good! I thought the Philly area had had a lot more snow, not all winter, but out of these last few storms. I'd heard of a lot of power outages, but maybe that was more the winds. It's March! :clap:
Yeah, the wind really did do quite a bit of damage. Downed trees, cut lines, crushed cars, that kind of stuff. The snow itself though was little more than slush.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:59 am

Several months ago we had record flooding. Now we may be facing wildfires. Enough already! :roll:

'Fire conditions' in the forecast for Houston area

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 0headlines
The National Weather Service is warning of fire conditions in the forecast for the Houston area.

Dry air combined with windy weather and rising temps on Monday and Tuesday could raise the risk of a hazardous blaze and "support rapid fire growth" in the event of a wildfire, according to forecasters.

The potentially dangerous conditions are expected to arrive early Monday as a dry air mass moves into the area.

Then, 10 to 15 mph winds - with 20 mph gusts - will combine with low relative humidity values to make for fire-spreading weather.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:07 am

From the safety of Texas we watch as our summer home on Long Island is about to get a fourth Nor'easter.

That's 4 in just this month.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:07 am

We’re about to be drenched by an atmospheric river, beginning in a few hours. We’re expecting 4-6” through Thursday, which is nearly half our typical annual rainfall, all in one storm.

Those poor, poor people in the Thomas fire area. :brokenheart:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:13 pm

First day of spring--blah! We have freezing rain out there now and are supposed to get ice and snow later today and into tomorrow. But March is always fickle here. On the whole, though, I think it's been colder than usual with few warm days.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:34 pm

kate520 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:07 am
We’re about to be drenched by an atmospheric river, beginning in a few hours. We’re expecting 4-6” through Thursday, which is nearly half our typical annual rainfall, all in one storm.

Those poor, poor people in the Thomas fire area. :brokenheart:

CNN Breaking News

@cnnbrk

Mandatory evacuations in parts of Santa Barbara and Ventura counties as Southern California anticipates strongest storm of the season
http://
cnn.it/2GL4HZv

http://coredev-dam-
1:24 PM - Mar 20, 2018
"We have no choice but do to this," Santa Barbara Sheriff Bill Brown said. "It's not worth risking lives to avoid evacuation."

Because of the burn scars from recent fires in the area, flash flooding and significant debris flows remain a major concern. The National Weather Service in Los Angeles has issued a flash flood watch for these areas across Southern California until late Thursday night.

California rain forecast prompts mandatory evacuations
By Monica Garrett, CNN

Updated 1:50 PM ET, Tue March 20, 2018

Play
Mute
Mute

Current Time
0:08
/
Duration Time
0:48
Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%

Fullscreen

Now Playing
Heavy rain forecast for...
Source: CNN
Heavy rain forecast for Southern California 00:48
Story highlights
THe season's strongest storm brings a high risk of flash flooding and debris flows in recent burn areas
Mandatory evacuations in Santa Barbara and Ventura counties began Tuesday
(CNN)Santa Barbara County officials have issued a mandatory evacuation order for extreme and high-risk debris flow areas ahead of the strongest storm of the season for Southern California.
"We have no choice but do to this," Santa Barbara Sheriff Bill Brown said. "It's not worth risking lives to avoid evacuation."

Because of the burn scars from recent fires in the area, flash flooding and significant debris flows remain a major concern. The National Weather Service in Los Angeles has issued a flash flood watch for these areas across Southern California until late Thursday night.

The amount of rain and the intensity are enough to cause flooding even without the impact of the recent fires. "We could experience localized flooding and road closures, which are not isolated to the burn areas. The threat of rock falls, mudslides and debris flow is high," said Rob Lewin, director of the Santa Barbara County Office of Emergency Management.

A large and powerful storm system across the eastern Pacific Ocean is expected to bring periods of moderate to heavy rain to portions of southwest California as early as Tuesday afternoon, continuing through late Thursday or early Friday.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:11 pm

I love California and I have friends who live there. I've been there many times and I think the weather has always been lovely. But they pay for that mostly lovely weather with things like the floods, fire, and winds (not to mention earthquakes). I've never been able to decide if I'd think it was worth the trade-off.

I wish them luck. This could get really ugly, and they've had their share of that lately.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:19 pm

I can tell you:

Hurricanes, tornadoes and snow we have not here, in SoCal. Earthquakes are far more infrequent than any of those things. Fires are part of the natural scheme of things, esp. here in the West and they, too, (this past year notwithstanding) are not as frequent as those things.

I’ve been in hurricanes and tornadoes. No thanks. I learned to drive in the snow. It snowed every time I went to driver’s training in high school*, and every time my parents allowed me to drive home from mass or the store that first year I had my license. No more, thanks.

* It was an elective!

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:14 pm

Rock falls, mudslides, flooding, debris flows! Dogs and cats living together! :shock:

The point of no return is no longer even visible in your rearview mirror. :-

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Foggy wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:14 pm
Rock falls, mudslides, flooding, debris flows! Dogs and cats living together! :shock:
Alike those reports from Ye Olde England where it rains cats and dogs.... ;)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:00 am

Oh, it rains cats and dogs here. You have to be careful not to step in a poodle.

:rimshot:

The point of no return is no longer even visible in your rearview mirror. :-

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:01 am

Foggy wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:00 am
Oh, it rains cats and dogs here. You have to be careful not to step in a poodle.

:rimshot:
:rotflmao: Yer quick, Foogy!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:05 am

:rotflmao:

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”