Weather Alerts

TexasFilly

Weather Alerts

Post by TexasFilly »

Yesterday, I read somewhere that the cost of adding a storm cellar to a home in Moore (since the last big one in 1999) was about $4,000. Of course the government haters in OK said that requiring new homes to be built with a storm cellar would be "cost prohibitive" and the market couldn't bear the additional cost. Again, builders privatizing profits yet socializing the risk (both to insurance companies and the ebil gubmint). Human lives apparently aren't worth much (except in utero).
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Whatever4

Weather Alerts

Post by Whatever4 »

Google Maps has a Moore OK before & after page set up. Very easy to see damage path.[/break1]org/crisismap/2013-oklahoma-tornado?hl=en&llbox=35.324705%2C35.318166%2C-97.513319%2C-97.527192&t=CUSTOM&layers=9%2C7%2C11%2C8%2Clayer2%2Clayer11%2C10%3A100]http://google.org/crisismap/2013-oklaho ... 2C10%3A100SNIP------Wow. :shock:Wow is right. One side of the highway, normal. The other, total destruction. :shock:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

ProudObot

Weather Alerts

Post by ProudObot »

I read a comment today regarding the cost of adding a storm shelter to a house in OK that put things in a different perspective. The cost of a funeral was estimated to be $6,000. - $8,000. Aside from the obvious chance of saving even one life, it's surprising that the financial aspect isn't enough to convince people in Tornado Alley to build these.

Whatever4

Weather Alerts

Post by Whatever4 »

Yesterday, I read somewhere that the cost of adding a storm cellar to a home in Moore (since the last big one in 1999) was about $4,000. Of course the government haters in OK said that requiring new homes to be built with a storm cellar would be "cost prohibitive" and the market couldn't bear the additional cost. Again, builders privatizing profits yet socializing the risk (both to insurance companies and the ebil gubmint). Human lives apparently aren't worth much (except in utero).Right. Spending $10K on granite countertops and stainless steel appliances is necessary. A Safe Room is frivolous. OK, good to know.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

TollandRCR

Weather Alerts

Post by TollandRCR »

Westboro Baptist Church had threatened to picket the funeral of Moore, OK, tornado victim Nicolas Scott McCabe, 9 years old. There was a pretty powerful response. Westboro was a no-show.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

NothingBetterToDoToday

Weather Alerts

Post by NothingBetterToDoToday »

I guess if you consider the odds of being hit by an EF5 tornado 1.3 miles wide, spending money for granite counter tops might seem more important than a safe room. But, there's nothing like seeing the devastation in Moore or having a tornado that size coming right at you to change your perspective. Also.....looking for some wood to knock on, as I may live in one of those places......I do believe there is something about certain topography the prohibits storm development and/or reduces severity.

TollandRCR

Weather Alerts

Post by TollandRCR »

... I do believe there is something about certain topography the prohibits storm development and/or reduces severity.Is this a folk belief, one of those beliefs still worth testing, or something that is scientifically supported?
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

NothingBetterToDoToday

Weather Alerts

There is something about the spot where I live, the storms (regardless of severity level) seem to split when they get here. I've lost count of the number of tornadoes & funnel clouds I've seen in 33 years, the tornadoes dissipate or funnels don't touch down. I've run to the closet or bathtub maybe 4 or 5 times for nothing. The Thursday before the Moore tornado, there was a mile wide tornado heading directly for my property. I was listening to storm spotters, for about 15 minutes I was in full panic mode, then all of a sudden the thing just disappeared. But, I have helmets in the closet just in case - not taking any chances that this ground is safe for some reason.

Estiveo

Weather Alerts

Post by Estiveo »

Being a Cali boi, tornados are out of my skill set, except for when I was at Lackland AFB in Texas. I experienced my one and only Midwest style thunderstorm complete with tornado warning, a small one touching down nearby but causing no damage.I was terrified but my flight mates thought it was funny 'cuz hell, this just a little one and you live where they has them thar earthquakes. Addle pated morans.I'll take the quakes; I've lived most of my 53 years on the west coast and have only lived through one big quake (Loma Prieta in '89) that was scary, but it was over in 15 seconds and doesn't come back every year, several times for a few months. [-( nuh-uh, y'all can keep your tornados. Oh, and the east and gulf coasts can keep all y'alls hurricanes too, also.
Image Image Image Image Image

esseff44

Weather Alerts

Post by esseff44 »

Andrew Kaczynski @BuzzFeedAndrew Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn saying he wants any federal aid to Oklahoma for disaster offset with cuts elsewhere.[/break1]co/Z8sw6pXXPc]http://t.co/Z8sw6pXXPcI'm sure the parents with kids in the morgue are glad Coburn sprung into action to defend his Republican ideology. I'm sure their first thought was "I hope this doesn't impact the federal budget!"Seriously, where do they find these monsters?Both OK senators voted against aid for disaster victims. They have principles, you see, and you only protect children until they are born. After that, they have to take care of themselves the best they can.

esseff44

Weather Alerts

Post by esseff44 »

Being a Cali boi, tornados are out of my skill set, except for when I was at Lackland AFB in Texas. I experienced my one and only Midwest style thunderstorm complete with tornado warning, a small one touching down nearby but causing no damage.I was terrified but my flight mates thought it was funny 'cuz hell, this just a little one and you live where they has them thar earthquakes. Addle pated morans.I'll take the quakes; I've lived most of my 53 years on the west coast and have only lived through one big quake (Loma Prieta in '89) that was scary, but it was over in 15 seconds and doesn't come back every year, several times for a few months. [-( nuh-uh, y'all can keep your tornados. Oh, and the east and gulf coasts can keep all y'alls hurricanes too, also.Yes, after Loma Prieta , everyone was off work for a couple of weeks and we were under martial law for a while. No going out unless you were a first or second or third responder and had a good reason to be out. It was an excuse for socializing and a party for most folks. We ran out of beer and vowed never to let that happen again. The building codes have been tightened and a lot of retrofitting has taken place. California takes building codes for seismic activity very seriously. I am with Estiveo and kate. Red States just leave too much up to chance and an aversion to raising revenue that can be used to prevent disasters or to keep little disaster from being BIG disasters. Where I grew up was prone to tornados, hurricanes and spills of toxic materials as they passed through on old railroads. My parents had to evacuate once due to chlorine gas escaping from an overturned rail car. Another time, it was another toxic gas.

Estiveo

Weather Alerts

Post by Estiveo »

For clarity, Esseff was, I assume, in SFO where the Marina District got pasted, freeways crumbled and the residents took care of each other and assisted the emergency people. San Franciscans should be proud of their response to Loma Prieta, as should the folks in Oakland who dealt with the pancaking of the Cypress Structure.I was about 65 miles south, closer to the epicenter but on the right side of the mountains so we had very minor damage. We actually loaded up clothes, blankets, food, water a couple of hibachis and some charcoal and drove it over the hill to Watsonville, which was hard hit.I still smoked then and, after the quake was over, realized I only had half a pack of smokes left. Once we were sure the house was OK, I drove to the 7-11. Closed. the three markets nearby? Closed. The Shell station that nobody used because the gas prices were the highest in town and they had no mini-mart...but they sold cigarettes? OPEN! And the cataclysmically stoned clerk who looked sorta like Jeff Spicoli and sold me several packs of Camel Lights wanted to know what earthquake everyone was talking about.Keep yer tornados, I'll take the quakes.
Image Image Image Image Image

Foggy

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

I've lived in earthquake country and hurricane country. The difference is, they give you three days warning before the hurricane hits.
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Joseph Robidoux III

Weather Alerts

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

I've lived in earthquake country and hurricane country. The difference is, they give you three days warning before the hurricane hits.In some states where rivers flood you may get a month's notice before it hits. Problem is, after the flood comes it can stay around for a couple of months (even if it hasn't rained much in the last 2 or 3 months).

Sugar Magnolia

Weather Alerts

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Give me a flood or tornado or hurricane over a blizzard any day.

TollandRCR

Weather Alerts

Post by TollandRCR »

From inside a May 27, 2013 tornado at Smith County, Kansas. The "storm chasers" are in a vehicle designed to survive being inside a tornado. Why they are inside the tornado is another question. The sound is haunting.

NothingBetterToDoToday

Weather Alerts

Yeah, I have a close friend born and raised in southern California. She says she'll take the earth quakes over tornadoes any day of the week too. I don't know, about that. I'd prefer to see the disaster coming at me. With enough practice, you can feel tornado weather and prepare for bad weather hours before one forms.

TollandRCR

Weather Alerts

Post by TollandRCR »

Like right now, when parts of northern New England, western Massachusetts, and northern Connecticut, have one or more of a (1) severe thunderstorm warning, (2) tornado warning (not watch), and (3) flash flood watch. Frogs are expected next. I'll report back later.

Sugar Magnolia

Weather Alerts

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Like right now, when parts of northern New England, western Massachusetts, and northern Connecticut, have one or more of a (1) severe thunderstorm warning, (2) tornado warning (not watch), and (3) flash flood watch. Frogs are expected next. I'll report back later.The marching kind? Those are my favorite.

NothingBetterToDoToday

Weather Alerts

Like right now, when parts of northern New England, western Massachusetts, and northern Connecticut, have one or more of a (1) severe thunderstorm warning, (2) tornado warning (not watch), and (3) flash flood watch. Frogs are expected next. I'll report back later.Yep, looks like y'all are in for a soaker. Judging by the bow echo on the radar, I'd look for those frogs to come in side ways at about 40 to 60 mph. Typical April weather here, at the end of May. Good thing I have lots of practice. This AM felt like tornado weather, trees were pretty convinced it was going to rain but NOAA said 0 chance of rain for the next 4 days. So I trusted the trees, kept the horses in the near pasture. Just about the time storms, with potential for tornado development, started to bubble up, NOAA put 60% chance of storms in the forecast. About 15 minutes after the forecast update, my place was slammed with 100% severe storm (no tornado, hail or frogs).

Volkonski

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Like right now, when parts of northern New England, western Massachusetts, and northern Connecticut, have one or more of a (1) severe thunderstorm warning, (2) tornado warning (not watch), and (3) flash flood watch. Frogs are expected next. I'll report back later.I see from the map that Oklahoma has some severe storm and tornado warnings right now.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Looks like those frogs could hit our place on Long Island. Oh well, I am currently at our Texas place so there is nothing I can do about it. :-?
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TollandRCR

Weather Alerts

Post by TollandRCR »

MLive May 29, 2013 [link]"Tornado Alley of Michigan is Genesee County, with more than any other since 1950",http://www.mlive.com/business/mid-michi ... ty_to.html[/link]“I would have expected a different part of the state to have a higher concentration, but I suppose the reason would be because of a random fluctuation. There may be some sort of geographical impact that (meteorologists) don’t understand that cause these clusters of tornadoes in certain places,” Masters said.Aside from the 45 tornadoes that Genesee County has endured since 1950, five other Michigan counties have seen at least 30 twisters pass through. Monroe County has had 33 tornadoes, while Lenawee County has had 32. Berrien, Kent and Oakland counties have each had 31.Despite the frequency in which tornadoes occur in Genesee County, residents said that they don’t have any anxiety about being in the path of the storms.

TollandRCR

Weather Alerts

Post by TollandRCR »

Thunder, lightning, rain, hail, turkey buzzards flying sideways -- the usual New England thunderstorm. The alert is active until 1:00AM Thursday. Power still on, which is somewhat of a miracle in this land of trees with occasional houses.

Whatever4

Weather Alerts

Post by Whatever4 »

Thunder, lightning, rain, hail, turkey buzzards flying sideways -- the usual New England thunderstorm. The alert is active until 1:00AM Thursday. Power still on, which is somewhat of a miracle in this land of trees with occasional houses.Ellie is cowering under the covers with W2. She really doesn't like thunder.
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”