Chilidog

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Chilidog » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:49 pm

They are talking about 30" of snow in Green Bay

YIKES

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:33 pm

Snowing in Omaha with lots of wind. Not much accumulation though.

Bloom where you're planted 🌷

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:54 pm

10" of snow so far with another 4"-8" possible before it ends Monday morning. :o

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:53 pm

My Finest Kind Public Works Department will have my street plowed by 5 AM tomorrow. I'll need to move the pile they push along my driveway. By the looks of things that will be the worst - it should take me about 10 minutes. It doesn't matter when I do it because I'm going to freeze in any event. The winds blew between 37 and 54 MPH all day long. The best I can hope for tomorrow is 21 MPH.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Well, the Twin Cities had a blizzard this weekend, and it's been 30-35 years since we last had one in the metro area. So far I've run the snowblower five times, and I'm either going to have to do it again tonight and tomorrow morning before going to work, or say the hell with it, take tomorrow off, and clear everything one last time tomorrow. . . until Wednesday, when more snow is coming.

The city plow did a horrible job on my section of the street - we've got a little park splitting the street into two, and the plow went 'round the park and down the middle of the street, leaving a 10-foot wide gap between the plowed street and the curb. I called the public work chief and asked to have another plow dispatched to do it properly. The plow came and this time left me with a hundred and thirty foot long by five-foot wide by four foot tall mess of snow between the plowed section of street and the curb. I gave up and cleared it with my snowblower. But now it's snowing like hell again.

At this time of year, our average high is 59 degrees. Today's high is 27 degrees.

And my major backyard landscaping job that I was going to start next weekend is on hold indefinitely. I can't lay a patio before the ground thaws and dries. We've got sixteen inches of frost in the ground yet.

At this rate, this may very well end up being a year without a summer for us.

tek

Post by tek » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:39 pm

_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:57 pm

My Oregon coastal friend reports the same weather for the PNW. And her Friday morning coffee clatch is very dissatiffied although the Green Sa!mon remains superb.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:00 pm

(feeling slightly less concerned about the moss growing on my truck right now)

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:17 pm

I'm in my mid-thirties, and have lived the bulk of it in Northeastern Wisconsin. This weekend's blizzard is far and away the worst winter storm I have ever seen. Green Bay and surrounding areas have seen as much as 28-30 inches of snow, which the steady 30 mph winds (gusting to 50+ mph) are piling up into enormous drifts. The official total for Green Bay is 23 inches, which makes this the second largest snowfall in the city's history. The worst was a storm back in 1889 that dropped 29 inches.

I received a notice earlier this afternoon that the chief judge of Wisconsin's 8th Judicial District - which is composed of Waupaca, Outagamie, Brown, Kewaunee, Door, Oconto, and Marinette Counties - has ordered that all courts in the district are to be closed tomorrow, on account of the dangerous travel conditions. I've checked around with colleagues in the bar and court personnel; no one can recall such an order ever being issued before. I've made appearances when clients could not make it because of weather. I've had judges move hearings and close courts early in anticipation of bad weather. But this is something entirely different.

Not that I totally mind a snow day tomorrow. It'll just be a pain to have to reschedule my appearances.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:35 pm

More rain. Everything is saturated, so more mudslides now including houses. We've got one main road, and it is closed in several locations. Valleys are underwater. No water supply and electricity in a good part of the island. State of emergency declared.

I made it to a nearby store yesterday to get my wine & brie. Listened to tourists yelling at each other about whether to cut their vacations short. Ha, ha, good luck with getting to the airport and on an outgoing flight.

Most interesting thing today: a buffalo showed up at a beach. Who knew there was a buffalo here? :confused:
buffalo1-768x576.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Aaaaannnd... my power just went out. Shutting everything down including my phone to save the battery and digging out my flashlights. C U later!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:31 am

Lani wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:42 pm
Aaaaannnd... my power just went out. Shutting everything down including my phone to save the battery and digging out my flashlights. C U later!
You can't read this just now but please stay safe!

:bighug:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:38 pm

Lani wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:35 pm
Most interesting thing today: a buffalo showed up at a beach. Who knew there was a buffalo here? :confused:
buffalo1-768x576.jpeg
Given the weather in the northern plains, you could hardly blame them for trying out the Pacific.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:37 pm

download.jpg
Another buffalo spotted in flooded Hanalei. Seems to be content.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:40 pm

Weather's been weird here in the Bay Area today. Hail and icy roads in the East Bay, thunderstorms here and there, pouring rain, gusty winds and bright sunshine.

And rainbows.
AndersonRes041618.jpg

Image Image Image Image Image

June bug

Post by June bug » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 pm

Lani wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:37 pm
download.jpg

Hoping your power's back up, Lani. Take care. :bighug: :bighug:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:24 am

Low last night; 38
Predicted high today: 82

Lani

Post by Lani » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:57 am

Power to my house was stable by morning. The roads near me were closed Sunday afternoon, but open this morning. Trashed with mud, debris and potholes, but useable.

I had water flowing just an inch below my door at one point, but thankfully the heavy rain eased up. Whew! Mostly I'm dealing with mold, so I'm lucky.

People north of me weren't lucky. The north and east coasts are severely damaged with a large area still flooded. Houses, roads, vehicles and utilities are gone. About 300 people have been evacuated from areas that are completely cut off. More will be picked up tomorrow morning.

There are no reports of deaths or serious injuries. Yet. Some of us aren't convinced, including county and state park rangers. Probably there were people camping/living in Kalalau Valley. Up mauka from the north shore there are Hawaiians seeking to live traditionally as well as homeless campers. I hope they are ok.

Hawaiian Homelands on the east coast were hard hit by flooding as well. I know there are homeless camps there. Hopefully, people packed up and moved to shelter in time.

All the beaches are closed, and all the tourists are pissed off. Rain continues.

Recovery is going to take a long time and a lot of money.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:42 am

Lani wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:37 pm
download.jpg

http://www.buffalofieldcampaign.org/abo ... alo-basics
Today, ranched bison and their producers are found in each of the United States and Canadian provinces. There are even herds on Long Island, NY; Kodiak Island, AK; and the islands of Hawaii. The average herd size is less than 100 animals while the largest herds number over 3,000.

Altogether, there are approximately 350,000 animals in North America with some amount of bison DNA. Roughly 200,000 are located on private ranches, and the remaining 150,000 or so are managed on public lands. Yellowstone, however, is home to the only genetically intact, truly wild buffalo. These are the ancestors of the great herds that once roamed North America.

The truth is: Yellowstone National Park harbors America's last wild buffalo.
There are buffalo on Long Island!? :o

Not "ancestors". :roll: Descendants.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:08 pm

The really bad news for today -- apart from everything that Trump does -- is that ocean currents are believed to be weakening. This is probably because fresh meltwater is pouring into the north Atlantic where the engine that drives the circulation system is located. New data show a weakening of 15% since the middle of the 20th century. The implications forr western Europe's climate are of great concern.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-ne ... e-extremes

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:30 am

The north shore flooding is getting a lot of attention, while close to where I live, there are only 2 photos. 2. Here's one of them.
web1_041818koloaflood2.jpg

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:55 am

That doesn't look like fun to me. Stay safe and dry.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:57 am

Here's your buffalo picture for today! Yeah, I know that it's technically a bison, but I don't care! A now free roaming BUFFALO gave birth yesterday. I named her Stormy. :)
output.jpg

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:10 am

She's lovely.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:13 am

I like that Stormy better than the other one. :lovestruck:

Hopefully, this will blossom into a snowball.
WWG1WGA

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”