Weather Alerts

Addie

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Addie »

Wait, whut? Is a tornado reported to have blown a car and truck up there? I've been in two tornados in Mexico and I have seen cars blown blocks away from where they were parked, but nothing like that. :eek2:
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Addie wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:22 pm
Wait, whut? Is a tornado reported to have blown a car and truck up there? I've been in two tornados in Mexico and I have seen cars blown blocks away from where they were parked, but nothing like that. :eek2:
Yep. Tornadoes do all sorts of weird things with the stuff that gets sucked up. That photo sucks but it wouldn't surprise me if it really happened.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Jebus. :cantlook:
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Addie wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:28 pm
Jebus. :cantlook:
Might not be true.
https://1075theriver.iheart.com/feature ... -building/

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

OK supposedly that photo was an optical illusion. From that angle, we are seeing through the breezeway and those vehicles are in the parking lot behind the building

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Turtle wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:42 pm
OK supposedly that photo was an optical illusion. From that angle, we are seeing through the breezeway and those vehicles are in the parking lot behind the building

I suspected it might be something weird since there were no missing shingles or anything. Enough spout force or wind speed to put that car up there would have, at the very least, blown all the windows out.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

My little bro lives on Spring Street. It's pretty much a mess.

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo
Tennessee tornadoes: Dozens still missing following storms that killed at least 24 people

NASHVILLE — A day after the deadliest tornado outbreak in Tennessee since at least 2011, a state of emergency is still in effect as tens of thousands of residents grappled with no electric power, disrupted gas and water lines and impassable roads.

Storms struck just after midnight Tuesday and dropped roaring tornadoes across four counties in Tennessee, killing at least 24 people and flattening buildings. An EF-3 tornado with winds up to 165 mph tore across the Nashville area, killing two people downtown, according to the National Weather Service.

In Putnam County, which was hardest hit, at least 18 were killed by the storms, five of whom were children, officials said. Dozens more are still missing as of Wednesday morning.

The destruction stretched for 50 miles across four counties, and Gov. Bill Lee (R), who surveyed the area via helicopter, said it will take days just to assess the scope of the damage.

As rescuers continue to search Wednesday, the death toll may rise, Lee warned.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Crane operator stuck in midair as a deadly tornado gets closer

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nation ... story.html
A crane worker in Nashville, Tenn., could only watch as a deadly twister closed in on him early Tuesday morning.

Jason Nash shot and posted on Facebook, apparently showing him 375 feet in the air as a tornado swept across the Nashville skyline. According to the construction worker, it would have taken him 15 minutes to get to the ground and the funnel cloud was only a couple minutes away, so he recorded the terrifying weather phenomenon and hoped for the best.

“There is a real tornado right there,” he said, while filming. “If something happens make sure everybody knows I love them ... This is no f---ing joke.”
I've heard this bull before.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

At least 20 people still missing in Tennessee after devastating tornadoes kill at least 24

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/do ... d_nn_tw_ma
Dozens of people are still missing in Tennessee after the second-deadliest tornado event in state history leveled buildings and left at least 24 people dead.

In hard-hit Putnam County, 85 miles east of Nashville, where one twister left at least 18 dead and dozens injured, 20 people remained missing late Wednesday morning, said Putnam County Mayor Randy Porter.

The county on Wednesday identified 17 of the people who died. Five were children between the ages of 3 and 13.

:snippity:

The one victim who is as yet unidentified is a woman with dark curly hair between about 30 and 35 years old. Authorities asked the public for help identifying her.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Breaking news: The first Robin of the season is sitting on my fence, about 30 feet from where I'm seated.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

It looks like changing the clocks ...

WE CHANGE THE CLOCKS TONIGHT, PEEPS!

... is going to bring some warm weather. We shoulda done it in January. :idea:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

I still have a half a tank of petrol in my snow blower. :eek2:
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Petrol?? :shock:

Did you move to England when I wasn't paying attention?
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

kate520

Post by kate520 »

The time change is also bringing us a weather change. The atmospheric river is supposed to be here early next week and bring us too much rain. Usually we get not nearly enough. Runoffs, mudslides, yikes.

That’s ok, us old folks are supposed to stay outta crowds anyway. I’m going to stock up at the store today.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Severe storms, tornados and 2" hail possible in Central and Northern Illinois today.

Hunkering down

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Chilidog wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:27 am
Severe storms, tornados and 2" hail possible in Central and Northern Illinois today.

Hunkering down
Good luck!

Addie

Post by Addie »

Stay safe, Chili :bighug:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

CNN Breaking News
@cnnbrk
·
33m
A tornado struck Jonesboro, Arkansas, flattening buildings and overturning vehicles, CNN affiliate KAIT reported. There were no immediate reports of injuries. https://cnn.it/2UMZqs1

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Larry Tramel
@LTrain501
·
47m
@KATVToddYak
This is the damage of the Cheddars Scratch Kitchen in Jonesboro. 4 inside and all safe.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

This is a horrible time for tornadoes. :eek2:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Lani

Post by Lani »

We had a super thunderstorm last night. The damn phone kept ringing and screaming at me for alerts. The thunder was right overhead for awhile. Ted took it well, other than the first BOOM that shook the house. So that's why I was posting until about 5am. :yawn: Lots of flooding on the North Shore, and the only bridge to get in/out is still closed. Also flooding pretty much along the east side and south side, shutting down several main roads and traffic lights everywhere - not that we have many traffic lights.

Daily rain is forecast until 4/7. :eek2: I'm going to make my dump run & mail pick-up tomorrow before my dirt road washes out.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

TROPICAL CYCLONE HAROLD HITS VANUATU AS IT IS UPGRADED TO A CATEGORY 5 STORM
BY ROSIE MCCALL ON 4/6/20 AT 5:52 AM EDT

Acategory 5 tropical storm with 134-mile winds is tearing through the South Pacific Island nation of Vanuatu—threatening the country's so-far-successful efforts to remain free of the novel coronavirus.

According to the Fiji Meteorological Service, Tropical Cyclone Harold made landfill in the early evening, reaching Espiritu Santo—Vanuatu's largest island—around 5:00 p.m local time (2:00 a.m. EST) on Monday, April 6.

In response, the Vanuatu Meteorology and Geo-hazards Department (VMGD) issued a statement warning residents of the expected impact.

"Damaging gale force winds, destructive storm force winds and hurricane force winds with heavy rainfalls and flash flooding over low lying areas and areas close to river banks including coastal flooding is expected over Sanma, Malampa and Penama Provinces and extending to Torba and Shefa tonight," the statement said.

"Very rough to phenomenal seas with heavy to phenomenal swells are expected over northern and central open and coastal waters tonight as the system continues to move through the Central Islands of Vanuatu. High Seas wind warning and a Marine strong wind warning are current for all coastal and open waters of Vanuatu. People, including sea going vessels are strongly advised not to go out to sea within affected area until the system has moved out of the area."

https://www.newsweek.com/category-5-cyc ... us-1496266

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

My neighborhood had over 3 inches of rain from 2am to 6am this morning. The stream in front of the house is raging. Good news is the drawbridge is up keeping out visitors.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”