RTH10260

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:00 am
Travis Herzog
@TravisABC13
· 14h
Oh look. All four seasons in Texas next week. On Tuesday.

Houston Forecast: https://abc13.com/weather/sunshine-retu ... eek/39346/
Time for a pizza quattro stagioni ;)

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

Volkonski wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:48 pm
It is going to be FOGGY!

This is what happens when Betsy Devos becomes Education Secretary. Even our fog becomes dense.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

January 2020 Pittsburgh weather:

Snowfall: 4.2 inches*

Least snow in January this century.

Least snow in any January in last 100 years.

We usually have what's called a January thaw toward the end of the month. There was nothing to thaw this year and I never even heard it talked about on the local weather. It frequently leads to river flooding in the area. We have had rain rather than snow, but not necessarily a lot of that.

Total snowfall for our area has been usually about 42-44 inches in a winter. Even when we have made that total over the last several years, at least, the snow that used to start in November and go into mid-March and stayed on the ground all winter never does any more. A snowfall is almost always now followed by a warm-up, so most even normal snowfall winters look much different than when I was growing up and beyond.

*Too lazy to look up usual totals, but January and February traditionally are months of most snow here in a winter, probably normally 15-20 inches in January, although that hasn't been as true over the last few years, at least.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Currently 71F but-

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

We got snow! :lol:

We got about three inches here, although it varies, generally 2-4 here, 3-6 in the mountains. They canceled most schools around here, but that's more about timing. It started about 4 AM.

They said it's the first measurable snow we've had here since November 13. It sure looks pretty out there. And, in the new normal, early next week, it's warming up and it will be gone.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

We got snow, rain, snow, ice, snow yesterday and today. Mainers handle snow very well, but ice makes everyone stay home. State offices, UMaine, many businesses, All schools, and Reny’s** were all closed today. Diner down the street was open and packed with first responders.

** Reny’s is a Maine tradition. Quirky store. You can buy pretty much everything to outfit yourself, your camp, and your camp’s pantry. In the winter, there’s a sign on the door to take off your Yak Trax before entering. If they don’t have it, you don’t need it.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Sounds like a cool store! I love places like that.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

My little section of the world has had rain, rain, rain, rain, and more rain. Several of the main routes to get around have been closed due to various mudslides, downed trees, water over roadways, wires on roads.

I am up on a ridge, so I don't have flooding, but I do have a lot of mud and a couple of flooded stalls. Power went out yesterday for several hours, came on briefly around 10 pm, promptly went back out over night, and was restored about an hour ago.

I stole this photo from a local community FB page. Doesn't look too bad until you realize that the undercut road is a main feeder road leading to State Route 18 (which leads to Interstate 90), and thus has more impact than you would think.
CareyCreekslideFeb72020.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

Traffic, transit, and championships are always delayed in Chicagoland. So it's not all that surprising that January finally showed up this year.

-4 with a windchill of -17. That's not Celsius.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

25+ inches of rain so far since the year started, and more in the forecast. They're evacuating all over town and predicting the third highest river level in history. Streets are already flooding and being shut down, The far northeast quadrant of the city has boats in the streets rescuing people and pets, and the entire city is under an indefinite boil water notice. Our third in the last 2 weeks. Downtown is already taking on water in the streets and expected to get worse before it gets better. Highways are washing out and sink holes are opening up. Multiple accidents in the tri-county in the last few days involving trees falling on cars, plus all the trees that are across roads that didn't hit anything.

At least it isn't raining this morning.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Winter has arrove in central Arkansas with 22 degrees. The squirrels are eating the sunflower seeds I put out while a junko and a female cardinal eat the smaller seeds. The blue jays have demanded more peanuts.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/6935bdcb75e770ca5cd186baff9cfcdf
Hurricane-force winds of up to 85 knots (98 mph) and monster waves that could reach over 100-feet-high ((30 meters)) were roaring across the North Atlantic on Saturday, the U.S. National Weather Service’s Ocean Prediction Center said.

The fourth named storm of the season, dubbed Dennis by Britain’s Met Office weather service, was expected to deepen through the weekend. Authorities urging people to take all possible precautions. Hundreds of flights were cancelled.reported.

The Met Office had 22 flood warnings in place around England, which meant flooding was expected. The Irish Meteorologist Service issued a number of wind warnings, saying gusts of up to 120 kilometers per hour (75 mph) might be seen. Gale warnings were also issued in Iceland.

The weather is expected to strike all areas of Britain, including parts of northern England still recovering from Storm Ciara last weekend. That storm left at least eight people dead across Europe, including two in the U.K.
Iceland also had its second red alert in the last few months because of hurricane force winds in the last few days.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Flooding continues over in Central Mississippi. :(

As Flooding Spreads in Mississippi, Officials Say the Worst Is Still Ahead
Heavy rains have swamped a reservoir and pushed the Pearl River over its banks, forcing evacuations. The river may not crest until Monday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/16/us/m ... ckson.html
Water levels did not rise as quickly overnight as officials had anticipated. Still, law enforcement officers were going door to door, repeating in person the call to leave. Sandbags were distributed by the thousands, and rescue crews with boats and high-water vehicles were standing by on Sunday to rescue anyone who became stranded. As of Sunday morning, though, officials said that no injuries had been reported and there had been no new calls for rescues, after four on Saturday.

The swollen Pearl River has already spilled into parts of Jackson, the state capital, and other communities along its banks. Forecasters expected the floodwaters to continue flowing outward, threatening a broader swath of the area, including the heart of the state government in downtown Jackson.

The river is rising so high because a reservoir just upstream has been filled to capacity by days of torrential rain. Officials at the Ross R. Barnett Reservoir, a 33,000-acre lake northeast of Jackson, said they had to open its spillway Saturday night to release water into the river when the reservoir exceeded its capacity. As a result, officials have projected that the river by Monday would crest as high as 38 feet, a mark not seen since 1983.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

ONE TO THREE INCHES OF SNOW predicted for day after tomorrow here in Rawly.

This is it, the End of the World. School will be canceled for three weeks. Roads will be impassable. We're DOOMED.
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Foggy wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:12 am

This is it, the End of the World. School will be canceled for three weeks. Roads will be impassable. We're DOOMED.
School's out!!!!! HOOOOOORRRRRRRAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Foggy wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:12 am

They cancel school regularly here for a mere inch of snow. I am not kidding. I'd a never thunk it when I was a kid. When I was growing up in Wisconsin they'd think about canceling school when the snow went above the six inch mark - and then only maybe. And this is I O Way, where snow is a way of life all winter long. There must be too many administrators who were raised in the South.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

"Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink."
Jonathan Petramala
@jpetramala
·
21m
One of the side effects of flooding here in #Jackson #Mississippi are the boil water notices...and I need coffee ☕️
@accuweather

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

ZekeB wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:35 am
They cancel school regularly here for a mere inch of snow. I am not kidding. I'd a never thunk it when I was a kid. When I was growing up in Wisconsin they'd think about canceling school when the snow went above the six inch mark - and then only maybe. And this is I O Way, where snow is a way of life all winter long. There must be too many administrators who were raised in the South.
This is becoming a thing even in Minnesota, but there are a few reasons behind it. The major one has to do with poverty and/or ignorance - some families can't afford warm winter clothing for their kids, or they are newcomers (refugees/immigrants) who truly have no idea how cold it can get here. Schools don't want their kids shivering outside waiting for their bus to arrive. Another reason is traffic levels - again, we've got a lot more newcomers to the state who don't have years of experience driving in snow. They drive anyway, with predictable results: more crashes, major traffic delays, which means the kids wait even longer for the bus to show up. And yeah, speaking of traffic levels, urban congestion here in the Twin Cities has grown to the point where even a little snow or rain results in traffic at a standstill.
I've heard this bull before.

Addie

Post by Addie »

NBC News
At least 2 killed when tornado smashes into Nashville

At least two people were killed when a tornado struck parts of Nashville and eastern communities early Tuesday, triggering warning sirens and damaging dozens of structures, according to officials and reports. Injuries were also reported.

The tornado, which was spotted about 12:30 a.m., killed two people in east Nashville, Metro Nashville police tweeted.

The tornado was spotted northwest of downtown Nashville and took aim at parts of the city, National Weather Service meteorologist Faith Borden said. Mount Juliet and Lebanon also appeared hard hit, she said, but the weather service has not yet completed a damage assessment.

Police in Mount Juliet, east of Nashville, reported that the town of around 30,000 was "impacted significantly" with multiple homes damaged and multiple injuries.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

MSNBC
@MSNBC
·
3m
Death toll rises to 22 after tornado rips through Nashville and central Tennessee early Tuesday, officials say.
MSNBC
@MSNBC
·
1h
Replying to
@MSNBC
President Trump says he will be going to Tennessee on Friday.

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

There were multiple tornadoes. The people who count these things don't know yet how many, but it's bad. Some places where I used to live and work got leveled, luckily I'm in the mountains now.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

WKRN
@WKRN
STORM DAMAGE: Cars piled up, hangars and airplanes destroyed at the John C. Tune airport. Officials estimate the damage to be in the millions. http://bit.ly/2IfLh0v #NashvilleTornado

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

This is a car and a truck in someone's apartment

(ETA: they are in the parking lot and we are seeing them through the breezeway )

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”