Dave at Sea

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Dave at Sea »

Azastan wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:31 am
Dave at Sea wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:48 am
Sydney, Hunter and Illawarra region - catastrophic fore rating

For your survival, leaving early is the only option.

Leave bush fire prone areas the night before or early in the day – do not just wait and see what happens.

Make a decision about when you will leave, where you will go, how you will get there and when you will return.

Homes are not designed to withstand fires in catastrophic conditions so you should leave early.

North and Far North Coast - Extreme fire rating

Just a few bush fires -
https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-informa ... es-near-me

Send rain!
I hope I never have to face that kind of reality.
We have our go bags ready and boxes for the pets.

Will see how it goes, our escape route should be safe, but if it is threatened we will leave sooner.

I much prefer the floods, but we haven’t had any here for a few years. Damn Climate change.

The catastrophic fire rating was added a few years ago - after too many people thought that they could win when fighting fires in those conditions.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

7 degrees F outside this morning. Got up at 4 and turned on the blue-flame heater and the oven. It was down to 48 inside. Now up to 62 so I'm cozy.

I have a dental appointment at 9:30, so the next challenge is getting out in my three season car. There's an inch of snow on the lane, but it's downhill all the way to the road (about 100 yards) so I'm pretty confident. I checked yesterday, and the plows only threw up about a three inch barrier at the end of the lane--not enough to shovel.

I'm less confident about getting back in. It's amazing how 30 feet of uphill can defeat a Honda. However, I don't have anywhere to go for the next few days, and anyway the sight of my car stuck in the snow will bring out helpful neighbors in droves.

Life.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

tek

Post by tek »

While you're out, stop in at a "gas station" and pump up your tires to a little over the recommended pressure.

They are going to be low in this cold weather.

The narrower footprint will help in the snow (opposite of what you'd do for sand)
There's no way back
from there to here

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

https://twitter.com/andrewtavani/status ... 0558938112
Andrew Tavani
@andrewtavani
The N.C. coast took a beating over the weekend from a nor'easter being called the 'no-name storm' -- but for a storm without a name, it left tremendous damage. And AccuWeather has team coverage with
@jpetramala
@AccuRayno
and
@lauravelasquez
: coverage.http://bit.ly/2XyQPd6
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Four or five inches last evening and night. A couple of drifts in my driveway may have been 18 inches deep. The snow blower balked and ran out of gas before I finished my driveway and sidewalks. It's never done that before. OTOH this was some really wet stuff.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Addie

Post by Addie »

NPR: 'Bomb Cyclone' Whips Through The West As Winter Storms Snarl Thanksgiving Travel ...

Blizzard conditions hit southwestern Oregon and Northern California on Tuesday night, loosed by what meteorologists are calling a "bomb cyclone" — basically, a rapidly intensifying winter storm caused by a precipitous drop in atmospheric pressure. That storm, which the National Weather Service described as "a low pressure record setter for the month of November," lashed the region with hurricane-force gusts and snowfall up to a foot deep.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

We got at least 8" in my Twin Cities suburb - wet, heavy snow. Since I can't use the 2-stage snow blower my sweetie used, I have a new single stage snow blower on order... to be delivered Tuesday. I did clear a path to the street so I could put the garbage out and started shoveling the driveway in stages. But then a neighbor surprised me by doing the rest of my driveway with his snow blower. Yay neighbors!
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

:clap: :lovestruck:
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:50 pm
We got at least 8" in my Twin Cities suburb - wet, heavy snow. Since I can't use the 2-stage snow blower my sweetie used, I have a new single stage snow blower on order... to be delivered Tuesday. I did clear a path to the street so I could put the garbage out and started shoveling the driveway in stages. But then a neighbor surprised me by doing the rest of my driveway with his snow blower. Yay neighbors!
My neighbor has one of those little Toros. It does clean down to the seemint better than my two stage Ariens. He and his GF both cuss the thing when the snow is really deep. I'd clear your walk and driveway - if it wasn't too long.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

ZekeB wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:12 pm

My neighbor has one of those little Toros. It does clean down to the seemint better than my two stage Ariens. He and his GF both cuss the thing when the snow is really deep. I'd clear your walk and driveway - if it wasn't too long.
For years, when my husband traveled, I'd use our Toro CCR 2000 to clear the driveway and it was great. The snow-plowed stuff at the end of the driveway would cause issues, but it was surprising what it could handle. I still have it but it's old and I can't do the maintenance. The 2-stage is a Honda with tracks (HS928) which can handle anything. I'm giving it to a friend who's son can manage it. The snow blower I have on order is the Toro SnowMaster 824 QXE. If I decide it's too much work, I can always hire someone next year. The nice thing about being retired is that I don't have to go out at 6am to clear the driveway.

For all of the southern folks - snow blowers and pickups with snow plow attachments will be clearing driveways at almost any time of the night. It's a noise you get used to in the north. Even with 8" of wet heavy snow last night, most of the Twin Cities is back to fully functioning on clear streets at this time.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:49 pm
For all of the southern folks - snow blowers and pickups with snow plow attachments will be clearing driveways at almost any time of the night. It's a noise you get used to in the north. Even with 8" of wet heavy snow last night, most of the Twin Cities is back to fully functioning on clear streets at this time.
Except I'm waiting for my FEDEX delivery that was due today. It's sitting in St. Paul. Not that I need it right away. Friday delivery will be just fine.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

ZekeB wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:41 pm

Except I'm waiting for my FEDEX delivery that was due today. It's sitting in St. Paul. Not that I need it right away. Friday delivery will be just fine.
Yeah. There is that.

My little sister who lives in Michigan was going to fly in this evening, but Delta said that winds might interfere with flights so they allowed folks to change their flights. Sis will fly in tomorrow morning which is fine with me.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Just some rain and high winds from this system. It’s supposed to turn to snow later, but not amount to anything. However, the 50-mile-an-hour winds did bring down a 100-foot tall dead ash tree. Hubby is going to be up with the sunrise in the morning clearing the multiple trunks off the driveway if we want to get to the daughter’s for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow afternoon. We’ll see what other damage it has done, too. We can see at least one healthy tree is gone.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

A bit of snow came through during morning rush hour really messing up the roads. My niece's post on Facebook: "I'm not saying the roads are bad or anything but I think I just saw the White Witch and her reindeer sledge in the ditch." :shock: :lol:

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:22 am
A bit of snow came through during morning rush hour really messing up the roads. My niece's post on Facebook: "I'm not saying the roads are bad or anything but I think I just saw the White Witch and her reindeer sledge in the ditch." :shock: :lol:
Same here. Less than an inch, but the wind is blowing like a banshee. It's piling up in my driveway. I'll clear it off. Tomorrow.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

ZekeB wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:02 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:22 am
Same here. Less than an inch, but the wind is blowing like a banshee. It's piling up in my driveway. I'll clear it off. Tomorrow.
Yeah, the wind will be a bit less tomorrow but the temperatures will be lower. I'll got out for 15 minute periods and see what I can do. My nephew from Iowa came up Friday and did the bit of assembly my new Toro SnowMaster required and got it running. It intimidates me a little, so I'll start with my shovel on the sidewalk and around my car where where I wouldn't use the snowthrower. (My goal next summer is to, with my nephew's help, get my three car garage to a state where I can put the one car I do use into it.)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Because we’ve been there a few times, I follow the weather in Iceland . You want wind? They are closing the whole country down because of hurricane force winds coming in.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Addie

Post by Addie »

Associated Press
Louisiana: Apparent twister destroys buildings, 1 dead

At least one person was killed Monday as strong storms left a trail of smashed buildings, splintered trees and downed power lines in Louisiana, and forecasters said more states were in the bullseye.

One person died when an apparent tornado struck a small residential area in Vernon Parish, but details were not immediately available, said Chief Deputy Calvin Turner.

Officials fear others could be hurt in the area since crews were still trying to reach hard-hit areas where downed trees and power lines blocked roads, he said.

“We’ve got damage at lots of places. We’ve got a church where the fellowship hall is torn all to pieces. Some homes are hit. Right now we’re having trouble just getting to places because of tress that are down,” Turner said.

In nearby Alexandria, Louisiana, about 200 miles (320 kilometers) northwest of New Orleans, a sheriff’s official said the storm system left roads impassable, peeled the roof off of a church and destroyed a car lot.

“As of right now we’ve had people trapped. I don’t have any reported injuries,” said Capt. Phillip Jordan of the Rapides Parish Sheriff’s Office. Nearly 6,000 area homes and businesses were without power, according to the Louisiana utility Cleco.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Reed Timmer
@ReedTimmerAccu
·
1h
UPDATED target areas for greatest #tornado threat on Fri PM - Sat. based on new morning forecast model output with risk area expanded west/northwest for possibility of slower, deeper storm system. Supercells by I-35 corridor FRI afternoon? Despite GFS, Dixie still significant SAT

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie »

AccuWeather
Winter storm to encase 1,700-mile stretch of U.S. in ice, snow

A storm will serve as a reality check for millions of Americans this weekend, following a stretch of springlike warmth expected to challenge records. Wintry precipitation is forecast to overspread a 1,700-mile corridor of the United States, spanning from the Central to Northeastern regions.

The same storm system that will bring the threat for severe thunderstorms and flooding rain across the Mississippi and Ohio River valleys will also pose a threat for accumulating snow and ice beginning this weekend.

After the weather system tracks through the Northwest at midweek, it will intensify and tap into the available energy from an unusually warm and humid air mass surging out of the Gulf of Mexico.

A heavy rain threat will first expand across the mid-Mississippi Valley on Friday, then the threat for accumulating snow and ice will soon thereafter threaten portions of the Plains and Midwest while colder air seeps southeastward.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

BUT... But... but... Global Warming !!! ;)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Global warming? Uh huh.

I have wondered for a while what it would be in my area (western Pennsylvania). They are talking about that on a local level right now. Warmer and wetter. We have had record rainfall the last two years in a row. It’s heading into the second week of January and we’ve had lots of rain, but not much snow.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

AndyinPA wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:23 am
Global warming? Uh huh.

I have wondered for a while what it would be in my area (western Pennsylvania).
As a very great generalization, global warming in the continental US means warmer and wetter for the Eastern US, with increased incidents of significant flooding; warmer and drier for the Western US, with increased incidents of significant wildfires. And much lost coastline as sea levels rise.

The links below present more detailed scenarios on a state-by-state basis.
https://19january2017snapshot.epa.gov/c ... tate_.html
https://statesatrisk.org/
I've heard this bull before.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

AndyinPA wrote:
Global warming? Uh huh.

I have wondered for a while what it would be in my area (western Pennsylvania). They are talking about that on a local level right now. Warmer and wetter. We have had record rainfall the last two years in a row. It’s heading into the second week of January and we’ve had lots of rain, but not much snow.
Meanwhile on the eastern side of PA, it seems to be 'the dice roll just keeps getting more random'. Just today we have gone from 'white out snow squall' to 'sunny and pretty warm' to 'it is snowing again', and it isn't even noon yet.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

DejaMoo wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:56 am
AndyinPA wrote:
Global warming? Uh huh.

I have wondered for a while what it would be in my area (western Pennsylvania).
As a very great generalization, global warming in the continental US means warmer and wetter for the Eastern US, with increased incidents of significant flooding; warmer and drier for the Western US, with increased incidents of significant wildfires. And much lost coastline as sea levels rise.

The links below present more detailed scenarios on a state-by-state basis.
https://19january2017snapshot.epa.gov/c ... tate_.html
https://statesatrisk.org/
Interesting links. Thanks.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”