Weather Alerts

NMgirl

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by NMgirl » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:01 am

You guys! That is some winter you are having in the Seattle area. I looked at the Seattle forecast and see that rain is coming. So while the snow may disappear, what about flooding? Is that next on your Disaster Docket? Anyhoo, stay safe. :bighug:

Slightly ot, but there's an article in The Washington Post on the extreme weather that Hawaii has been experiencing all year.
Heaviest rain, strongest wind and lowest temperature: Snow in Hawaii follows a year of extreme weather
:snippity:

April 14-15, 2018: National U.S. rainfall record
The rain didn’t let up on the night of April 14, 2018, in Hanalei, Hawaii, a resort town of barely 500 on the northern tip of Kauai. A relentless tropical deluge blasted the island with extreme rainfall. How extreme? A rain gauge in the neighborhood of Waipa picked up an astonishing 49.69 inches from 12:45 p.m. on the 14th to just after noon the next day.

Feb. 10: Strongest wind ever recorded in Hawaii
At 4:40 p.m. local time, a gust of 191 mph was clocked atop the summit of Mauna Kea on the Big Island.

Hurricane season 2018: A trio of storms in Hawaii
Lane was one of three storms that hit Hawaii in the 2018 hurricane season. The August windstorm was preceded by Hector two weeks earlier, which clipped the Hawaiian Islands with gusty winds, dangerous surf and blinding squalls. And about two weeks after Lane, Olivia swung in, marking the first time on record three or more tropical cyclones directly affected the state in a single season.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... dc8704d3e3

Also, too: Possible record low; possible most snow.
Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:52 am

NMgirl wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:01 am
You guys! That is some winter you are having in the Seattle area. I looked at the Seattle forecast and see that rain is coming. So while the snow may disappear, what about flooding? Is that next on your Disaster Docket? Anyhoo, stay safe. :bighug:
We were promised rain, but we got snow, snow, snow, and more snow. A couple of miles away they got rain. But we got snow!

Sadly, I think we are going to see some nasty flooding up north. I'm on a hill (one reason why we don't really like snow, thanks) so the threat is secondary (Cedar River is at the bottom of the hill).

The weather in Hawaii, just wow.

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:00 am

Yeah. :( Monday when I left for work, the carport temperature was 54. :yikes: Monday & Tuesday morning I seriously considered staying at home under blankets. Tonight I'm frantically searching for socks. Unsuccessfully.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:45 am

That has to be miserable weather for the islands. What is the prediction for landfall?
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:10 am

The windstorm has passed. Roads are mostly cleared, power is on, and water restrictions should be over by tomorrow. Temperature range for Wednesday is 70°/57°.

It looks like we're going to have rainy and chilly days for the next 2 weeks. Fortunately, I found my only pair of thick socks a few minutes ago. My toes are very happy! :dance:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:20 am

Lani wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:10 am
The windstorm has passed. Roads are mostly cleared, power is on, and water restrictions should be over by tomorrow. Temperature range for Wednesday is 70°/57°.

It looks like we're going to have rainy and chilly days for the next 2 weeks. Fortunately, I found my only pair of thick socks a few minutes ago. My toes are very happy! :dance:
I am glad you found your socks :bighug:

I'd heard about the wild Hawaii weather, but haven't seen any video.

HeatherGray

Post by HeatherGray » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:10 am

Azastan wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:57 pm

My trainer's indoor arena collapsed last night. Power was out, but she got all horses out safely, including the one who was trapped in his stall with only one inch clearance over his withers. That's about 18 inches of snow, by the way, and more coming down.

I've been trying to keep my barn roof and carport clear, but it's a losing battle. It's snowed here almost constantly since about noon yesterday--yet just a few miles away it's 10 degrees warmer and raining.

My power was also out until about 2 pm today. It's back on, but that could change if trees go down from the snow burden.
Terrifying about the horses in the collapsed arena. I am glad she was able to get them out.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:10 am

DzSXuGwWkAAB6De.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image Image Image Image

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 am

HeatherGray wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:10 am

Terrifying about the horses in the collapsed arena. I am glad she was able to get them out.
Turns out that at least one other barn in my town suffered it's arena collapsing. They were also very lucky that none of the horses or humans were hurt. We just aren't geared up for what appears to have been a record amount of snow here. The snow plows have sure been busy this past few weeks! It looks as if my own barn and carport are going to survive, so I'm going to head over to my trainer's later to see if I can help with clean up.

Lani was talking about finding the thick socks--I've been reduced to wearing my spouse's size 13 rubber boots because my regular muck boots aren't tall enough to deal with the height of the snow LOL.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:44 pm

Placer Sheriff

Verified account

@PlacerSheriff
2h2 hours ago
More
Tahoe & Truckee are in whiteout conditions. All roads leading in & out of the basin are closed. S/R 267 is so deep that plows ca no longer plow. They have ordered up a large blower to try and clear the pass. I80 & Mt. Rose Highway are also closed. Please stay home. #CAwx
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:45 pm

USA Today
More rain, snow expected in storm-battered California, following days of mudslides and floods

Californians were in clean-up mode Friday as the state slowly recovers from an onslaught of rain, wind and snow, which brought widespread flooding, mudslides, and washed-out highways.At least two deaths have been blamed on the storm. Although the worst of the storm had moved well inland early Friday, forecasters said some leftover showers and snow was still likely to fall across the state on Friday and Saturday.

The higher elevations of the Sierra could see an additional 3 to 6 feet of snow over the next few days, on top of the 3 feet that fell Thursday, the National Weather Service said. So much snow has fallen in the area that cities are running out of places to put the snow, according to Kevin Cooper of Lake Tahoe TV. In Southern California, officials said rain-drenched hillsides could still loosen and collapse, bringing down mud, boulders and debris.

“The ground is still so saturated and the water is still flowing down from the mountains,” said April Newman, spokeswoman for Riverside County Fire Department.Over 50,000 homes and business were without power as of midday Friday, poweroutage.us reported.

In Sausalito, north of San Francisco, a home smashed into another house after sliding down a hill. One woman was buried under a tree and mud for two hours before fire crews rescued her. The National Weather Service reported staggering rainfall amounts across California. A rain gauge at Palomar Observatory, 60 miles northwest of San Diego, picked up over 10 inches of rain Thursday, that location's wettest day ever recorded.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:43 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:44 pm
Placer Sheriff

Verified account

@PlacerSheriff
2h2 hours ago
More
Tahoe & Truckee are in whiteout conditions. All roads leading in & out of the basin are closed. S/R 267 is so deep that plows ca no longer plow. They have ordered up a large blower to try and clear the pass. I80 & Mt. Rose Highway are also closed. Please stay home. #CAwx
Wow.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:49 pm

And as an update--hoping we don't have more snow, 'cuz we really don't want any--this is my back pasture today with what has been reduced to about 18 inches of snow.
mypastures2152019.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:53 am

I see it snowed sufficiently on Haleakalā that they had to close down. Not an every day or even every year event from what I understand.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:30 am

Snow on Haleakala isn't rare, but not an every year event. That it happened at 6000 ft is an once in a lifetime event. The road was shut down fast so people couldn't rush there for a very rare snowball fight. Our vehicles can't cope with snow and low temperatures nor do we have appropriate clothing.

Looks like our cold spell is going away. Monday it was 54 when I left for work. Today it was 62. BTW I discovered that I have heated car seats! Who knew? We never had a reason to think about that stuff before. :geezerette: We have also discovered that warm slippers do not exist here. There are no such things as warm, fuzzy slippers. There have been frantic searches on the internet to buy such warm, fuzzy, cozy footwear, but by the time they arrive, we won't need them. Until we do... next year.

We're still having daily rains. It might let up later next week. But the ground is already saturated, and all of us are thinking about last year when the March-April rains set new records and caused horrific damage. The North Shore road is still being repaired and still closed to all but local residents who have to come and go in scheduled convoys almost a year later.

I moved here in the early 80's. We had reliable wet/winter dry/summer seasons with fairly reliable temperature ranges. Not any more.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:45 am

One thing to look forward to when all this snow starts to melt.... Three months of accumulated dog poop.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:49 am

Chilidog wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:45 am
One thing to look forward to when all this snow starts to melt.... Three months of accumulated dog poop.
I'm already unnerved at the thought of a fortnight's worth of horse manure.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:56 am

That could be a physics 101 question

Convert 3 months of dog poop to fortnights of horse manure. Show your math.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:58 am

Chilidog wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:56 am

Carnivore crap is way worse.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:58 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:58 am
Chilidog wrote:

But horses have so much VOLUME!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:12 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:58 am
Weed seeds too. They pass right through and sprout.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:19 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Chilidog wrote:

Meh, you haven't seen volume until you've picked through Indian rhino dung for seeds. :)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:37 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:19 am
pipistrelle wrote:

Meh, you haven't seen volume until you've picked through Indian rhino dung for seeds. :)
Go on..........
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:17 pm

pipistrelle wrote:

ZekeB wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:12 am
Weed seeds too. They pass right through and sprout.
Depends on the size of the dog. Chihuahua, not quite as much of a problem. Great Dane, I would really rather not think about.

Due to my trainer's arena roof collapsing, I have two of her horses here, making six horses total. I normally have four on the property. I haven't been able to clean for a week because of the snow storms. Today and tomorrow I will spend most of the day clearing a path to the manure pile so I can get back on track.

I am really hoping that the weather forecasters are wrong, because we have snow/rain mix predicted for this week :shock: .

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:30 pm

:eek2:
Sekrit Stuffs!
Video's kinda big, so sekrit.
A massive 47-car pileup on a Missouri highway left at least one person dead, Missouri Highway Patrol said.

A quick-moving storm through the Central Plains Friday brought dangerous snow and ice to the area. https://abcn.ws/2DJK1jF

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”