Volkonski

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

mimi

Another Shooting

Post by mimi »

They found [Oregon Shooter] Jared Padgett's journal. NYDailyNews:In the diary, Padgett detailed plans to kill the "sinners" at his school, police said.No specific students or teachers were named as targets. His writings did not outline how or when the killings would occur, police said.[/break1]nydailynews.com/news/crime/oregon-school-shooter-wrote-plan-kill-sinners-cops-article-1.1829711]http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/o ... -1.1829711They also mention that his father took the divorce hard, and it might have had an effect on him.

mimi

Another Shooting

Post by mimi »

Hate speech, concealed carry and the Joker: Three questions from the Miller murders

By J.D. Morris (contact), Jackie Valley (contact) Jackie Valley

Sunday, June 15, 2014 | 2 a.m.

“The Internet is incredibly important in radicalizing people,” said Ryan Lenz of the Southern Poverty Law Center. “There’s no buffer to tell you what’s true and what’s not.”

There always have been extremists, well before modern technology existed, but experts say the Internet has been a boon to fringe radicals who use it to communicate with like-minded people. And that can be a dangerous mix.

“Knowing that there are others out there like you can be incredibly empowering,” said Robert Futrell, a UNLV sociology professor who has studied the white power movement. “And when the rhetoric of those others supports the kinds of ideas that are predicated on hatred, violence (and) the idea that there is a fascist government that needs to be overthrown, sometimes the Jerad Millers of the world act on those ideas.”He seemed to have operated almost exclusively within a radical echo chamber that affirmed and encouraged his extremism.

It’s hardly a new phenomenon. In 2002, Christopher Wolf, former chairman of the International Network Against Cyber-Hate, told the First Amendment Center that the instigators of hate crimes gained momentum from the Internet and used the Web to make “hatred seem normal and acceptable.”

The situation has gotten worse today, he said, because social media “provides a platform for so much interchange among these like-minded haters.”more:

[/break1]lasvegassun.com/news/2014/jun/15/hate-speech-concealed-carry-and-joker-three-questi/]http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014/ju ... ee-questi/

Somebody wrote down what we see everyday.

Foggy

Another Shooting

Post by Foggy »

In the old days, if there was one whackjob in a town of 10,000 people, he or she was relatively harmless because everybody knew they were whackjobs and they had no real way of finding other whackjobs like themselves.With the internet, one in 10,000 in a country of 318 million people translates to 31,800 whackjobs out there, and they can form a community of whackjobs such as we see on Birther Report and other sites. They can find dozens of other sites that support their whackjob beliefs. But I don't have a good answer for how to deal with that.
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

TollandRCR

Another Shooting

Post by TollandRCR »

In the old days, if there was one whackjob in a town of 10,000 people, he or she was relatively harmless because everybody knew they were whackjobs and they had no real way of finding other whackjobs like themselves.In Bath, Michigan, everybody knew [link]Andrew Kehoe,http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... ss#p618457[/link]. Most of them knew of his extreme views on taxation. Maybe he was not insane (I think not), but he qualified as a whackjob. He was known in that town of 300 but, as it turned out, not harmless. In 1927 he committed the worst massacre of school children in American history. I don't think the Internet completely explains our current situation, although it certainly matters a lot. There's something else at work as well, perhaps the individualism that de Tocqueville noted.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Foggy

Another Shooting

Post by Foggy »

Yes, but there weren't a lot of Kehoes back then. It was still a really rare phenomenon. Or maybe it's just that we hear about all such incidents now in the age of instant information? :-k 8>
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

AnitaMaria

Another Shooting

Post by AnitaMaria »

Stastically speaking, mass murders of the sort the Millers committed (stranger-on-stranger) are still rare. It's one of the reasons they are difficult to study. However, mass murders involving people known to each other are not rare. They happen every day in America. And the murder of a single person is so common that it rarely warrants more than a mention on a crappy local news show. If we want to reduce gun violence in the US, we need to address the common types of gun violence--shootings between people who know each other and suicides--and, frankly, stop getting distracted by these high-profile incidents. They feed the outrage on both sides, but they are not the biggest problem we have. Stopping them wouldn't even make a dent in America's 30,000 guns deaths per year (19,000 of which are suicides).

kate520

Another Shooting

Post by kate520 »

individualismI think you're onto something, Tolland. I was toying with that idea all weekend. We used to have a shared vision of America, one in which we each had a role and everyone's individual role was important in making that vision a reality. Now we are all in it for ourselves. I can't pinpoint the change, though. Was it the 60's, the time of great societal change? That would be ironic, as the goal of most of that movement was to create a more inclusive society.The romantical notion of the rugged individualist bravely making his a way in the world, was just that...a romantical notion...until it wasn't. Now it's more like an individual has to make the world be his way.Opinions, everyone has one. :roll:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Patagoniagirl

Another Shooting

Post by Patagoniagirl »

individualismI think you're onto something, Tolland. I was toying with that idea all weekend. We used to have a shared vision of America, one in which we each had a role and everyone's individual role was important in making that vision a reality. Now we are all in it for ourselves. I can't pinpoint the change, though. Was it the 60's, the time of great societal change? That would be ironic, as the goal of most of that movement was to create a more inclusive society.The romantical notion of the rugged individualist bravely making his a way in the world, was just that...a romantical notion...until it wasn't. Now it's more like an individual has to make the world be his way.Opinions, everyone has one. :roll:Wow, Kate. I had the same itchy thoughts this weekend and just posted in Tollies new thread about it minutes ago. You explain it much better.

Skip Intro

Another Shooting

Post by Skip Intro »

Police: Priest killed with gun owned by colleagueA homeless ex-convict with a history of violence and drug abuse was arrested Monday on suspicion of killing a clergyman with a handgun that had been retrieved by another priest after he was hit with an iron rod at a Phoenix church, police said.Police say the Rev. Joseph Terra went to investigate noises in a church courtyard and was attacked by 54-year-old Gary Michael Moran with the piece of metal before the priest fled and got a .357-caliber gun from his bedroom.Moran wrestled the weapon away from the injured priest and killed Terra's assistant, the Rev. Kenneth Walker, after he rushed to the aid of his colleague, court records show.Read more here: [/break1]sanluisobispo.com/2014/06/16/3113367/arrest-made-in-priest-attacks.html?sp=/99/177/348//#storylink=cpy]http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2014/06/16 ... rylink=cpy
In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

mimi

Another Shooting

Post by mimi »

I did click the link. What a terrible story That guy should never be allowed out of prison.

Whatever4

Another Shooting

Post by Whatever4 »

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

jtmunkus

Another Shooting

Post by jtmunkus »

40 years ago:

mimi

Another Shooting

Post by mimi »

via Doc:

Suspected: Birther shoots two law enforcement officers

By Dr. Conspiracy on June 17, 2014 in Birthers Behaving Badly, Crimes, Social Media

Authorities, according to The Modesto Bee and other sources, have identified the man who is suspected of shooting a California Highway Patrol officer and a Bureau of Land Management ranger at a Nevada County, California, campground last Saturday, as Brent Douglas Cole. Cole, 60, was himself wounded in the confrontation and is in stable condition.

In any shooting incident, the first question that comes to mind is: Is the suspect a birther? Evidence is mounting that he is a birther. Check out this August 2012 Tweet:

QUESTION: IS Obama (AKA Barry Soetoro) Eligible To Be President? THAT DEPENDS ON HIS BIRTHPLACE: If Obama was… [/break1]co/aiL2AjV2]http://t.co/aiL2AjV2

— Brent Douglas Cole (@stat_ag) August 25, 2012Cole was also a commenter on Mike Volin’s Sheriff’s Kits go to Washington Facebook page.

http://www.obamaconspiracy.org/wp-conte ... b7.pngmore:

[/break1]obamaconspiracy.org/2014/06/suspected-birther-shoots-two-law-enforcement-officers/]http://www.obamaconspiracy.org/2014/06/ ... -officers/

TexasFilly

Another Shooting

Post by TexasFilly »

40 years ago:Best. Network. Show. Evah!My MIL often said she considered suing because they stole my FIL's persona for the Archie Bunker character. :lol: My own dad wasn't far off, but more like the George Jefferson character.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

mimi

Another Shooting

Post by mimi »

TPM picked up the story.

BLM Officer, Highway Patrolman Shot In Nevada County, California

A Bureau of Land Management ranger and a California highway patrolman were shot during an armed confrontation on Saturday, the Sacramento Bee reported.

Authorities identified the suspect as Brent Douglas Cole, 60, according to the Bee. The shooting took place in the Tahoe National Forest in Nevada County, Calif., which borders Nevada. The BLM ranger had called for the highway patrolman's assistance, according to the Bee.[/break1]com/livewire/blm-shooting-nevada-county-california]http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/b ... california

kate520

Another Shooting

Post by kate520 »

All I can say is thank dog birthers are so incompetent at pretty much everything. The officers will survive.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

jtmunkus

Another Shooting

Post by jtmunkus »

Best. Network. Show. Evah!My MIL often said she considered suing because they stole my FIL's persona for the Archie Bunker character. :lol: My own dad wasn't far off, but more like the George Jefferson character.Carroll O'Connor's acting brilliance never ceases to amaze me.

TexasFilly

Another Shooting

Post by TexasFilly »

TPM picked up the story.

BLM Officer, Highway Patrolman Shot In Nevada County, California

A Bureau of Land Management ranger and a California highway patrolman were shot during an armed confrontation on Saturday, the Sacramento Bee reported.

Authorities identified the suspect as Brent Douglas Cole, 60, according to the Bee. The shooting took place in the Tahoe National Forest in Nevada County, Calif., which borders Nevada. The BLM ranger had called for the highway patrolman's assistance, according to the Bee.[/break1]com/livewire/blm-shooting-nevada-county-california]http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/b ... californiaEx Animo is coming up a lot in the comments! :lol:
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

mimi

Another Shooting

Post by mimi »

This one is just so sad. It will break your heart. I don't know why they published the child's name though.

Boy accidentally kills best friend with gun they found in Muskingum County home

Jen Miller had just started to cut her backyard at 43 1st St., while her 11-year-old son, Brady Scherer, played inside the house yesterday with his best friend, Lucas Templin.

The noise from the mower drowned out the siren as an ambulance pulled in front of the house, a neighbor said.

Miller had no idea that her son had just called 911 to report that he had accidentally shot Lucas.

The two boys, in little more than the 10 minutes since Miller had started the mower, had found a loaded revolver inside the house.These kids were best friends.

“Jen was a mess,” said next-door neighbor Rose McNemar. “I tried to comfort the little boy. He was shaking and bawling. He had blood on him. He kept saying, ‘Is he OK? He’s going to be OK, Mom?’  ”Photo of the little boy who was killed is at the link as well:

[/break1]dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/06/17/Boy-shot-to-death-in-Muskingum-County.html]http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... ounty.html

Florida dad killed by neighbor’s stray bullet as family welcomes home newborn

By David Ferguson

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:32 EDT

A musician, teacher and new father is dead after a stray bullet pierced the wall of his Florida home on Tuesday and struck him in the back of the head. The Panama City News Herald reported that 33-year-old Justin Ayers and his wife were welcoming their 3-day-old baby home from the hospital with relatives when Justin was killed.

The bullet came from the house next door, where 62-year-old Charles Edward Shisler picked up a .9 mm pistol by the trigger, causing it to discharge. When sheriff’s deputies arrived, they found Shisler standing on his porch, although he initially was “belligerent” and uncooperative.

“The damn gun doesn’t usually shoot,” said Shisler, according to his arrest report. “You have to squeeze the hell out of the trigger to shoot it.”More, including a heartbreaking photo of dad and newborn:

[/break1]rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/18/florida-dad-killed-by-neighbors-stray-bullet-as-family-welcomes-home-newborn/]http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/18/f ... e-newborn/

This one should prolly go in Florida Man topic.

Man shoots himself, again, tries to blame it on robber - again

Sure, accidentally shooting yourself is embarrassing. Especially if you do it twice.

But it only gets worse for you if you blame it on someone else. Especially if you do that twice, too.

Peter James Bonfiglio, 27, of Port Charlotte, is charged with filing a false report of a robbery.

Deputies say Bonfiglio called deputies Monday morning to tell them a woman he knew and a man he didn't know robbed him at gunpoint at his Kinderkemac Avenue home around 2:30 a.m.

He said they took jewelry from him and then shot him in the foot. He was taken to the hospital for treatment.

Deputies found the woman Bonfiglio said he knew. She told them Bonfiglio approached her about getting money for some jewelry he had.

The woman was able to show investigators several text messages that backed up her story.teh rest of the story:

[/break1]nbc-2.com/story/25809491/man-shoots-himself-again-tries-to-blame-it-on-robber-again]http://www.nbc-2.com/story/25809491/man ... bber-again

vic

Another Shooting

Post by vic »

How did he not notice? From TPB:[link]Georgia Man Later Discovers He Shot Himself In Penis While Holstering Gun,http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/a ... is-georgia[/link]The comments are, well, as you might expect.And, I might add, Florida adjacent.

Whatever4

Another Shooting

Post by Whatever4 »

How did he not notice? From TPB:[link]Georgia Man Later Discovers He Shot Himself In Penis While Holstering Gun,http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/a ... is-georgia[/link]The comments are, well, as you might expect.And, I might add, Florida adjacent.Hehehe -- from the comments: A well-regulated supply of goobers being necessary for lucrative NRA grifting, the right of gun-toting yahoos to shoot themselves in the nards shall not be infringed.Maybe his hot meth head girlfriend texted him asking for a dick shot.I still say the key is the size of his penis and where he keeps it when sitting in car.Guess he'll have to get an even bigger gun to compensate now.Probably hasn't had a direct view of his factory-issued parts in years. :lol:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Foggy

Another Shooting

Post by Foggy »

How did he not notice?I'm going to guess drugs. Powerful drugs. #-o

(Fogbow on PayPal)

RTH10260

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

English speaking Iranian Press TV has a report on yearly 1000 100 children shot in the USA

[BBvideo 425,350:3dk9le6y][/BBvideo]

Edit: Tyop...

TollandRCR

Another Shooting

Post by TollandRCR »

100 kids shot accidentally. Is the 1,000 number in the report?
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”