Another Shooting

esseff44

Re: Another Shooting

Post by esseff44 »

Volkonski wrote:In a related matter.

UT professor cites campus-carry law in calling it quits

http://www.chron.com/news/texas/article ... 560756.php
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — A tenured professor at the University of Texas says he will not teach next year because the new law allowing for concealed handguns at public universities has left him fearing for his safety.
Economics Professor Daniel Hamermesh says he teaches required courses that draw hundreds of students and it would be difficult to identity one who may be disgruntled or has a mental disorder.
The Austin American-Statesman reports that some faculty have threatened to leave over the law that takes effect Aug. 1, but Hamermesh appears to be the first to have followed through.
He doesn't expect many professors to leave because of the law but says it will likely affect the hiring of academic leaders.
:(

I don't blame him one bit.
I don't blame him, either. I would do the same. That's what it takes. People with guts and something to lose taking a stand.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

New UT Chancellor McRaven has a few things to say Bout the outrage of campus carry. But I'm out the door, heading to...UT!
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

mimi

Post by mimi »

I googled it.

UT chancellor: Removing gun-free zones will “inhibit our freedom of speech”
By Anthony Hennen | October 5, 2015 | Comments
Opposition to conceal-and-carry on campus in Texas has cited safety concerns, but another argument is less familiar: the threat to free speech.

William McRaven, the chancellor for the University of Texas system, said, “if you have guns on campus, I question whether or not that will somehow inhibit our freedom of speech.”
more:
http://redalertpolitics.com/2015/10/05/ ... om-speech/

Also:

University of Texas debates guns on campus after Oregon shooting
AUSTIN, Texas | By Jon Herskovitz
Licensed holders have been allowed to carry concealed handguns on campus, but not in buildings, for 20 years, the university said.

More than 300 faculty members signed a petition saying they will refuse to allow guns in their classrooms. One told the forum he is worried about discussing grades with a student packing a pistol. Others said the law could lead to more suicides and rapes.
The Texas law takes effect on Aug. 1, the 50th anniversary of the killing of 16 people by student Charles Whitman, who fired from a perch atop the Austin campus's clock tower.

University of Texas System Chancellor William McRaven, a retired Navy admiral who led the U.S. Special Operations Command and organized the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, has questioned the law.

"There is great concern that the presence of handguns, even if limited to licensed individuals age 21 or older, will lead to an increase in both accidental shootings and self-inflicted wounds," he wrote to lawmakers.
more at the link, including some who don't agree:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/ ... M220151005

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

I just remember way back in the day when my university got the word that we would be integrated at the beginning of the next quarter. They held an all-student convocation in the stadium and announced the end of segregation. There was no other discussion, it was over. There would be no disrespect allowed in any form. And we were warned to leave our guns at home.

There was a different attitude toward guns back then. They were mostly for hunting and most everyone grew up hunting and everyone pretty much had guns. Everyone in my family had guns. But we did not feel the need to take them to church or to school or much of anywhere except when we went target practicing or when we went hunting. And the hunting was not for sport but for food. I did have a significant number of members of my family killed by guns, but it was all murder. They were all murdered while going about their ordinary business by armed robbers in a store or by angry mad men who did not like something they had said. In most cases, the murderers were executed or put away for decades for second degree.

Ordinary people did not have to fear getting shot going about their ordinary business. They did not feel they needed protection from people carrying guns or much of anything else they could not handle. The idea of open carry was not an obsession and I never heard talk about Second Amendment Rights or fear of our guns being taken away by the dreaded government. Folks didn't like the government very much back then either. In fact, they had a lot more reason to dislike it because they had lost everything and the government let it happen. Guns were not equated with manhood, either. That's seems to be a lot of what has changed. Just as the youth have been targeted by the popular culture as consumers of hip hop and violent music, movies and computer games, so have the young men been targeted as being consumers of guns and macho survivalist gear to try to match the images in the ads and the movies.

When we were told to leave our guns at home, I doubt it made any difference to anybody because everyone knew that our campus was no place for guns. It didn't mean that the same people who had their rifles in the racks on the walls took them down and it didn't mean people would do anything different. It was just a notice to hot heads that they would be dealt with if they got out of line. These were the days before drugs took hold although alcohol was a big problem then as now and would fuel the same kind of impulses and rage as now in fraternity houses and bars or drunken brawls. But most of us knew those were not good places to be if you wanted to feel safe. What has changed? Is any place safe? Not from angry mad men in pursuit of a rival or avenging an insult or drunken fools but from children and anyone else who gets upset and deranged and can obtain all the lethal weaponry they need to take out as many family members or schoolmates or co-workers or strangers as they can before killing themselves or getting killed by the police.

To change this situation seems impossible until there is a change in the attitude of the people who make their living off of these lethal products and the people they target as their consumers. And that includes the politicians and lobbyists who cater to them. How is that going to come about?

rajah

Post by rajah »

Another shooting, so what? If you expect to enforce your god given constitutional right to bear arms the you have to expect a little collateral damage.
I believe that elementary school children should even be allowed to carry RPGs into class. I bet that would make little Johnny think twice about pulling Mary Jane's pigtails.
Regards ...........Dick

mimi

Post by mimi »

Hey Dick,

Obama went to Oregon to speak with the parents of the victims. Since that shooting, there have been two more on college campuses. And yet, hundreds of protesters turned out to tell Obama they didn't want no stinkin' gun control.

Some of 'em waving Confederate flags. Cuz Oregon's history as being part of the Confederacy. :?

Some waving snakey Gadsden flags.

At least one sign saying "Go back to Kenya".

A lot carrying guns on their hips.

The county is overwhelmingly Republican. And, apparently they just don't care how many lives are lost.

Must be the chemtrails eating their brains. :sarcasm:

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot »

Maybe not part of The Confederacy, per se, but Oregon was founded as a racist utopia:
When Oregon was granted statehood in 1859, it was the only state in the Union admitted with a constitution that forbade black people from living, working, or owning property there. It was illegal for black people even to move to the state until 1926. Oregon's founding is part of the forgotten history of racism in the American west...
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

rajah

Post by rajah »

Hey Mims, long time no see.
Regards ...........Dick

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

Family Liberty Patriot wrote:Maybe not part of The Confederacy, per se, but Oregon was founded as a racist utopia:
When Oregon was granted statehood in 1859, it was the only state in the Union admitted with a constitution that forbade black people from living, working, or owning property there. It was illegal for black people even to move to the state until 1926. Oregon's founding is part of the forgotten history of racism in the American west...
Centralia and Tumwater, WA were both founded by black families that had been refused entrance to the Oregon Territory and had to go north.
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Addie

Post by Addie »

People
3 Women Shot, 1 Killed, Outside Nightclub in Busy N.Y.C. Neighborhood

Three women were shot – one fatally – as they were leaving a nightclub on early Monday morning in a New York City neighborhood that's popular with tourists.

The women – a 24-year-old, a 25-year-old and a 30-year-old – were standing outside Motivo nightclub in the Flatiron District when a gunman opened fire, killing one of them and wounding the other two, according to ABC7.

The victims were rushed to Bellevue Hospital, where the 24-year-old was pronounced dead. The 25-year-old was shot in the foot and hip, while the 30-year-old was shot in the shoulder. Both women are expected to make a full recovery.

Police said a man was kicked out of the nightclub earlier in the evening and vowed to return with a gun, Newsday reports.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Jim

Post by Jim »

A Fan Was Reportedly Shot in the Head Following the Cowboys-Patriots Game

It's getting so you can't even enjoy a sporting event anymore without worrying for your safety. Great society the pubs are creating here...wonder where religion fits in?
Even more disturbing? The suspect was said to be "egged on" by the crowd to shoot the victim.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Addie

Post by Addie »

NBC News
South Carolina 2-Year-Old Shoots Grandmother in Back With Revolver

A 2-year-old accidentally shot his grandmother with a revolver in South Carolina on Sunday after finding the weapon in the back seat of his great-aunt's car, police said.

The 40-year-old grandmother, who has not been identified, is expected to recover, according to Officer Mark Bollinger with the Rock Hill Police Department.

The woman was shot in the back by the toddler while sitting in the passenger seat of her sister's car, police said. The toddler had found the .357 magnum revolver in a pouch behind the passenger seat.

The grandmother's sister, who is the registered owner of the car and the gun, was driving at the time of the shooting. The gun owner told NBC affiliate WCNC that she realizes she made a "mistake" by not removing the gun from the car.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

:( Always make sure what your target is.
A Texas man shot and killed his wife after mistaking her for an intruder.

Police said the San Antonio man, whose name was not released, told them he heard some noises coming from the front of the house about 4 a.m. Saturday and saw a flash of light.

He grabbed a shotgun and went to investigate.

The man said he saw a light and someone standing at a distance, so he fired one blast from the shotgun.

That’s when he realized he had shot his wife, 48-year-old Debora Kelly.
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/texas-m ... fensiveuse
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I love how these people never seem to check whether their spouse is in bed next to them. :madguy:
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

TexasFilly wrote:I love how these people never seem to check whether their spouse is in bed next to them. :madguy:
Mebbe it was his night to sleep in the doghouse...literally.... :(

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

And aways make sure of your backstop.... it could be someone you love.

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot »

“I have to believe that it was an accident, a very tragic accident,” said his credulous neighbor.

Why? Why do you have to believe that? Is it the only possibility?

It was Oscar Pistorius' defense, too. He was lying.
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

Finally! A jury held a gunstore liable for the criminal use of a gun it sold -- but only because the store's violation of federal law was so effing blatant. It would have been obvious to Helen Keller that the under-age felon was using an older acquaintance as a straw purchaser, the sales clerk even had to wetnurse the dim dummy purchaser through the paperwork. And the jury decided on many millions for a policeman who was thereby blinded and brain-damaged.

Oddly enough, if the teenage felon had merely presented fake ID and purchased the same gun by himself, the gunstore could, under current federal law, have avoided all liability. It was only because the store security camera showed such spectacular violation of the most basic regulations that the store was held liable.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

:gotalink:
Image Image Image Image Image

vic

Post by vic »

Estiveo wrote::gotalink:
I suspect this is what he was referring to:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gun-shop-fo ... -officers/
CBS wrote:Gun shop found liable in shooting of two Milwaukee police officers

MILWAUKEE -- Two police officers who were shot and seriously wounded have won their lawsuit against a gun store that sold the weapon used against them.
:snippity:
CBS News' Adriana Diaz reports that in 2009, Officers Graham Kunish and Bryan Norberg approached 18-year-old Julius Burton for riding his bike on the sidewalk. A struggle ensued. Burton pulled out a gun and shot both officers in the face.

Kunisch lost an eye and had to have part of his brain removed. Norberg was shot in the mouth. Bullet fragments are still lodged in his cheek.

Surveillance video shows Burton with a friend at the Badger Gun store a month before the shooting. He paid the friend $40 to buy a gun for him because he was underage. Store Clerk, Donald Flora, appears to help the friend fill out the paperwork, Diaz reports. Flora told jurors he was unaware of an illegal sale known as a "straw purchase."
I imagine it helped that besides the straw purchase, the victims were police officers in the line of duty.

Other links

New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/us/gu ... olice.html

Earlier NYT article before the verdict http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/13/us/mi ... trial.html

Slate http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... shoot.html

Addie

Post by Addie »

Raw Story
Angry driver shoots Georgia woman in the back because she was driving too slow

A Georgia woman and her son were driving Monday afternoon when another driver pulled up very close behind her in the center lane.

The woman, 44-year-old Angelina Christiano, motioned for the Ford Mustang driver who had been tailing her to pull around her Corvette — but instead he pulled alongside her and opened fire, reported WSB-TV.

Christiano was shot in the upper back and lost control of her car on Stone Mountain Freeway in DeKalb County, but her 25-year-old son was not injured.

She was hospitalized and listed in serious to critical condition.

The gunman fled the area and remains at large.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Associated Press
Chicago police: 3-year-old fatally shot by brother, 6

CHICAGO (AP) — Chicago police say a 3-year-old boy has died after being accidentally shot in the head by his 6-year-old brother.

Authorities said the boy was carried by a relative to a hospital after being shot about 9:05 p.m. Saturday, and was later pronounced dead at a different hospital. Police say the father knowingly stored the loaded revolver on top of a refrigerator where children could access it. He has been charged with felony child endangerment.

Police said the father would appear in bond court Sunday.

mimi

Post by mimi »

Zombiecon is an annual event in Fort Myers.

Last night there was a shooting. One person died, four were injured. Shooter is at large.

Someone tweeted out a 20-second video of the chaos. It's attached to the tweet:

Here's a news report:

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/crime/au ... fort-myers

And the ZombieCon facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ZOMBICON?fref=nf

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

UPDATE: Live rounds used during gunfight re-enactment, actor shot

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3029 ... -ok-corral
TOMBSTONE, AZ (Tucson News Now) -
It wasn't quite the "gunfight at the OK Corral," but a member of the Tombstone Vigilantes gunfight reenactment group accidentally shot another member of the Vigilantes Sunday afternoon, according to the Cochise County Sheriff's Office.

One of the Vigilantes arrived late and did not have his gun properly inspected. He then accidentally shot another member of the Vigilantes. The man was shot in the upper groin area sometime around 2 p.m. and had to be airlifted to the hospital, said CCSO spokeswoman Carol Capas.

According to an update from the Tombstone Marshal's Office, actors Tom Carter and victim Ken Curtis were facing off against each other when Carter fired his gun. Curtis fell to the ground after being hit by a live round.

The show was stopped immediately. Officials say it was discovered that there was a live round in the cylinder with five expended casings that indicated the gun had six live rounds in it before the skit. Officials say two live rounds hit nearby businesses.

A woman identified as Debbie Mitchell was hit while standing in front of the Bird Cage Theater, according to the Marshal's Office.

Officials say this is an isolated incident and that visitors should be assured that safety protocol will be enforced before any more gunfight skits on Allen Street.
A bit late... :swoon:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”