Another Shooting

sad-cafe

Re: Another Shooting

Post by sad-cafe »

and the pastor was on the news tonight thanking the government that he had the right to have shooters shoot back

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

And the lack of additional deaths because of an immediate and effective response is somehow a problem? :confused:
“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:48 pm
And the lack of additional deaths because of an immediate and effective response is somehow a problem? :confused:
In the larger picture, from a policy perspective, YES!
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

Forget gunfights in the saloon, the pastor is keen for them to happen in his church with all the resultant risks of poorly trained shooters blazing away at perceived bad guys... :madguy:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

sad-cafe wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:18 pm
and the pastor was on the news tonight thanking the government that he had the right to have shooters shoot back
Well - Obama had confiscated all his armour, but impotus gave them back again. :blackeye:

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

Every three hours...
Shannon Watts
@shannonrwatts
·
1h
3,500+ Texans are killed by guns every year: a life lost every 3 hours.

If more guns and fewer gun laws made Texas safer, it would be the safest state in the US. Instead, it has high rates of gun suicide and homicide, and is home to 4 of the 10 deadliest mass shootings. #txlege

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

NMgirl wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:54 am
Every three hours...
Shannon Watts
@shannonrwatts
·
1h
3,500+ Texans are killed by guns every year: a life lost every 3 hours.

If more guns and fewer gun laws made Texas safer, it would be the safest state in the US. Instead, it has high rates of gun suicide and homicide, and is home to 4 of the 10 deadliest mass shootings. #txlege
:like:

There are so many shootings here that I haven't made a good enough effort to post them all. After I peruse the national news I will say to Mr. Filly "Let's see what murder and mayhem is going on in Houston" before I click on one of the local news sites. I am rarely "disappointed."

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- A man was killed Sunday night in a shooting at a popular Fourth Ward night spot, authorities said.

Police have identified the victim as 35-year-old Cecil Brown.

The fatal shooting happened sometime after 8 p.m. at the Seaside Lounge in the 700 block of West Dallas St.
Houston police mounted a massive response to the restaurant, closing down nearby streets as they looked for answers.

Officials say Brown got into a physical fight and left the bar. As he was driving away, he was shot multiple times by an unknown person and hit by another car in the parking lot.
https://abc13.com/man-killed-at-popular ... e/5797698/

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- A young man was shot and killed moments after he was dropped off at his home early Sunday morning on Longmeadow Street in southeast Houston.

His family says he had just proposed to his girlfriend.

As soon as 20-year-old Alec Morrow got out of the car, he was shot and killed in the family's front yard.

He had plans to become a police officer. He told his family that his security job at nightclubs would help prepare him.

He wanted to go to college, and before he left to go to work last night, his mom said Alec proposed to his girlfriend.
https://abc13.com/man-shot-to-death-mor ... d/5797394/

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

TOP STORY
2 separate Jackson shootings leave 2 men in critical condition

TOP STORY
Woman killed when bullet goes through bedroom of Jackson home

TOP STORY
3 children were shot in Jackson on New Year’s Eve; 1 is in critical condition
https://www.wlbt.com/
From the front page of our local news channel this morning.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:26 am
TOP STORY

TOP STORY

TOP STORY
Eek. Welcome to 2020. :blackeye:

Makes my decision to share a cooler of beverages w friends and neighbors, then hitting the bed before midnight seem all the better.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:26 am
TOP STORY

TOP STORY

TOP STORY
:madguy:

This year in our area Crime Stoppers offered cash rewards to those who report celebratory gun fire.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... ials-warn/

I hope it did some good.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Maybe some good, but not enough:
Family loses matriarch after she's killed, likely by celebratory gunfire in N. Harris Co.

A 61-year-old woman celebrating the new year with her family is dead after she was shot by celebratory gunfire, deputies say.

Courtney Fischer

@CourtneyABC13
Replying to @CourtneyABC13
The @MenningerClinic confirms Philippa Ashford she was a nurse who worked in the crisis psychiatric unit for 15+ yrs. She mentored young nurse residents and was a leader at Menninger. Her colleagues are in disbelief. #abc13

This happened just after midnight in the 12300 block of May Laurel Drive in the Laurel Oaks subdivision.
https://abc13.com/family-matriarch-kill ... e/5804260/

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

That shooting occurred in a nice suburban neighborhood within about 1000 feet of an elementary school and an intermediate school in the Spring ISD. :shock: Seems no place is safe anymore. :(

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Man charged with murder in connection with girlfriend’s death, authorities say

RUSSET PEAK, Texas – A man is charged after authorities said he shot his girlfriend multiple times at a home in Montgomery County.

The shooting was reported around 9:10 p.m. at a home on North Lynx Trail near Wallaroo Way, authorities said.

When authorities arrived, they said they found a 27-year-old woman on the floor of a back bedroom who had been shot multiple times.

The woman’s 28-year-old boyfriend was found just two doors down at the neighbor’s house and was taken into custody without incident, authorities said.

Detectives said the man confessed to shooting his girlfriend. He was subsequently charged with murder.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... ities-say/

[Note: there are apparently some members here who think having guns everywhere is no big deal. I am not going to post every shooting I see in the Houston area, maybe just January. A small sample of the daily carnage in a corner of the US.}

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:42 pm
[Note: there are apparently some members here who think having guns everywhere is no big deal. I am not going to post every shooting I see in the Houston area, maybe just January. A small sample of the daily carnage in a corner of the US.}
I used to follow a blog which recorded in detail every gun-related death in the US. It was depressing, but really gave a feel for just how many ordinary people, going about their ordinary businesses and social lives, are killed, often randomly, each and every day. The reports of children murdered by a parent, with no consequences to the murderer, were especially soul destroying.

IMHO, local media should list every gun death every day, on the front page, or as a standard opening on tv news reports. It’s a valuable community service and you are doing that for us on the Fogbow. So:

:thumbs:

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Texas falls in the middle on state rankings for gun violence rates. Those rankings include suicides, which often don't get media coverage, but comprise a significant percentage. Alaska ranks highest for gun violence. But, don't fret, conservative Bible belt states make up a majority of the top-10.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Suspect arrested in shooting of Houston mail carrier

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime ... 4d71c0f78f
Matthew Williams, 24, is charged with aggravated assault against a public servant, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, felon in possession of a weapon, theft of a motor vehicle, violation of a protective order, and assault of a family member. Police say more charges are possible.

The victim, 30-year-old Adrian Jackson survived the shooting but remains in critical condition.

:snippity:

Police say Williams fled the scene and tried to shoot an elderly man at a business on Bunker Hill. Fortunately, his gun didn't go off.

They believe the attack on Jackson was random.
Random? Shooting a mail carrier for sport? :madguy:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:48 pm
Suspect arrested in shooting of Houston mail carrier

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime ... 4d71c0f78f
Matthew Williams, 24, is charged with aggravated assault against a public servant, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, felon in possession of a weapon, theft of a motor vehicle, violation of a protective order, and assault of a family member. Police say more charges are possible.

The victim, 30-year-old Adrian Jackson survived the shooting but remains in critical condition.

Police say Williams fled the scene and tried to shoot an elderly man at a business on Bunker Hill. Fortunately, his gun didn't go off.

They believe the attack on Jackson was random.
Random? Shooting a mail carrier for sport? :madguy:
So was it random or an assault on a family member? Maybe they actually mean motive unknown rather than random?

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

That is a poorly written article. If it says when the shooting happened, I missed it. I believe the attack on a family member was an additional and unrelated charge. But that's just speculation because the author apparently didn't take a journalism class.
Edit: NVM. I had read an article on another website which was substantially similar (especially regarding the charges leading me to believe they just wrote down was someone in LE told them, verbatim) and didn't notice Mr. V's link.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Also, too, the KHOU link from Mr. V says:
Williams is a documented Aryan Brotherhood gang member with a long rap sheet, according to court documents.

tencats

Post by tencats »

Father and 9-year-old daughter killed in hunting accident
Jan 2, 2020 Updated
https://www.postandcourier.com/news/fat ... 9b157.html
Kim Drawdy, 30, and his daughter Lauren, 9, were shot by another hunter around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday off Barracada Road near Walterboro. Four hunters were trying to move deer, also known as driving deer, when Drawdy and his daughter were mistaken for a deer and shot, the S.C. Department of Natural Resources said.

They died at the scene, Colleton County Coroner Richard Harvey said.
David Strickland, founder of the Carolina Wildlife Syndicate and a hunter himself, said he believes that many of these accidents happen because of a failure to teach firearm safety in the classroom or the household.

“Your two rules are, never point your barrel at something you don’t want to shoot, and always identify your target before you shoot,” Strickland said. It’s also important to know what’s behind your target, he said.

ImageImage

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

This been posted?

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

https://www.gofundme.com/f/734fb2-buria ... zwDRzTV6gI

This one hits home. He was my 8th grade student in SS and has always been sad. He and his mother have struggled for everything they have.

Please give if you can-share if you can't.

Another piece of my heart gone. Once they have been in my class, they will always be my baby.

RIP Travis

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

sad-cafe wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:43 pm
https://www.gofundme.com/f/734fb2-buria ... zwDRzTV6gI

This one hits home. He was my 8th grade student in SS and has always been sad. He and his mother have struggled for everything they have.

Please give if you can-share if you can't.

Another piece of my heart gone. Once they have been in my class, they will always be my baby.

RIP Travis
I'm sorry. :cry:

Is there any more that can be shared? The organizer of the fundraiser doesn't really offer much. The who, what, where, when, how... and why, if known. If the family is asking for privacy, I understand. But it made the news, I imagine, and that's public.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”