MAGA BOMBS

ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Re: MAGA BOMBS

Post by ZekeB »

GreatGrey wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:18 pm So....

Why put a clock on the devices?

I mean, when ya mail something you really have no idea when it will be delivered. You need a trigger that will go off when the envelope is opened.
The thing is, I didn't see a battery in any of the photographs or x-rays. You can close two contacts, but what does that accomplish? Those little 3.3 volt CRxxxx batteries would hardly have enough oomph to set off a detonator, much less heat a wire. And yes, timing is critical. Set the timer too early and the bomb goes off while in transit. Set it too late and the recipient finds the bomb and has the local bomb disposal team come in and take care of the device.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
tek

Post by tek »

teevee talking heads have been saying that a timer on this sort of bomb is usually a safe-arm device.. to disable the bomb until after it is safely out of the bomber's hands.

I haven't been paying attention over the past 12 or so hours so I have no idea if more details have been released.
There's no way back
from there to here
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

tek wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:12 am teevee talking heads have been saying that a timer on this sort of bomb is usually a safe-arm device.. to disable the bomb until after it is safely out of the bomber's hands.

I haven't been paying attention over the past 12 or so hours so I have no idea if more details have been released.
I don't see this guy as having what it takes to do anything with timers or electronics, but certainly could source enough household chemicals or other material for the FBI to say they are IEDs.
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

Failsafe? What did it do? Short out the power source for three days? ;)
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

RVInit wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:31 am
OMG, i needed that.
Ditto for the "caught red hatted" cover.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:05 am
RVInit wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:31 am https:// twitter.com/cappundc/status/1056136438293635072
OMG, i needed that.
Ditto for the "caught red hatted" cover.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ditto.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

In regards to the whole canceled stamp issue.

Here is an interesting thread from a stamp collectors forum from a year ago on this.

https://www.stampcommunity.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56828

Apparently it's not that uncommon
Addie

Post by Addie »

Daily Beast: Trump Comes Face to Face With His Nightmare: A News Cycle He Can’t Control
Law & Crime: Alleged ‘MAGAbomber’ Cesar Sayoc Fell for the Right-Wing Meme Machine Hook, Line and Sinker
Associated Press: After arrest, Republicans struggle with mail bombs fallout
CNN: How the alleged bomber was caught
WaPo: Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh and others stick with conspiracy theories after mail-bomb suspect’s arrest
The Intercept: Here Is a List of Far-Right Attackers Trump Inspired. Cesar Sayoc Wasn’t the First — and Won’t Be the Last.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Mikedunford wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:39 am :snippity:
As far as the reasoning for not filing those charges is concerned, Popehat has already commented; Twitter thread linked below:
Thanks for posting this. The Twitter thread was excellent and explained the terrorism question very well.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times
Cesar Sayoc’s Path on Social Media: From Food Photos to Partisan Fury

Until 2016, Cesar Altieri Sayoc Jr.’s life on social media looked unremarkable. On his Facebook page, he posted photos of decadent meals, gym workouts, scantily clad women and sports games — the stereotypical trappings of middle-age masculinity.

But that year, Mr. Sayoc’s social media presence took on a darker and more partisan tone. He opened a new Twitter account and began posting links to sensational right-wing news stories, adding captions like “Clinton busted exposed rigging entire election.” On Facebook, his anodyne posts gave way to a feed overflowing with pro-Donald Trump images, news stories about Muslims and the Islamic State, far-fetched conspiracy theories and clips from Fox News broadcasts.

By the time he was arrested in Florida on Friday, charged with sending pipe bombs to at least a dozen of President Trump’s critics, Mr. Sayoc appeared to fit the all-too-familiar profile of a modern extremist, radicalized online and sucked into a vortex of partisan furor. In recent weeks, he had posted violent fantasies and threats against several people to whom pipe bombs were addressed, including Representative Maxine Waters, a California Democrat, and former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. His vehicle, a white van plastered with right-wing slogans, came to resemble a Facebook feed on wheels. ...

But before Mr. Sayoc’s accounts were taken down, The New York Times archived their contents. And a closer study of his online activity reveals the evolution of a political identity built on a foundation of false news and misinformation, and steeped in the insular culture of the right-wing media. For years, these platforms captured Mr. Sayoc’s attention with a steady flow of outrage and hyperpartisan clickbait and gave him a public venue to declare his allegiance to Mr. Trump and his antipathy for the president’s enemies.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Donald Trump's constant rhetoric seems to have awakened latent anger in a certain group of disaffected. My sister's Facebook feed took a dark turn when she became a Trump cultist. Prior to Trump's presidency she was not really involved in politics at all. Her Facebook was full of photos of gardens, butterflies, and lots of cat jokes. Nothing controversial, nothing political, and nothing that would have offended anyone. Now...it's a cesspool. She might still, on occasion, post something about gardening and cats, but it's mostly right wing conspiracy and grinding her Facebook friends' faces in the fact of how proud she is to have voted for a psychotic maniac.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

She seems nice. :blink:
Buckle up, peeps, this ride is gonna get BUMPY. :shock:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Foggy wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:01 pm She seems nice. :blink:
Used to be.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Mr Brolin

Post by Mr Brolin »

ZekeB wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:02 am

I mean, when ya mail something you really have no idea when it will be delivered. You need a trigger that will go off when the envelope is opened.
The thing is, I didn't see a battery in any of the photographs or x-rays. You can close two contacts, but what does that accomplish? Those little 3.3 volt CRxxxx batteries would hardly have enough oomph to set off a detonator, much less heat a wire. And yes, timing is critical. Set the timer too early and the bomb goes off while in transit. Set it too late and the recipient finds the bomb and has the local bomb disposal team come in and take care of the device.

I'm afraid I have to disagree, commercially available electric match/igniter can be set off with a low voltage 0.5A pulse. Failing that, tight wound fine nichrome wire dipped in match head mix or at a pinch ye olde classic small plug of steel wool shorted across, all will be sufficient to set off a black powder charge. Half a dozen zinc-air hearing aid batteries from Riteaid wired in series then parallel would suffice.

Heck, strip out the components for the flash from a disposable camera and there's your ingition train.

That said, I still can't decipher the initiator, easiest would have been a light sensor or the other old classic of a circuit closer made up of a spring closed clamp cannibalized from a clothes peg, two metal foil conductive surfaces separated by a piece of stiff card or plastic secured at the top or bottom of the mailing bag.

Having said that, the whole devices, as shown to date are so craptastic my biggest surprise is the idiot builder didn't die or be maimed during his assembly.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

The latest conspiracy theory point seems to be, "how did de get the addresses?"

My response to that is,

1) you can get everything on the internet.

2) he actually did not get the addresses. But he got close enough that the post office was able to deliver the ones that actually got delivered.
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Mr Brolin wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:13 pm
ZekeB wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:02 am

I'm afraid I have to disagree, commercially available electric match/igniter can be set off with a low voltage 0.5A pulse. Failing that, tight wound fine nichrome wire dipped in match head mix or at a pinch ye olde classic small plug of steel wool shorted across, all will be sufficient to set off a black powder charge. Half a dozen zinc-air hearing aid batteries from Riteaid wired in series then parallel would suffice.

Heck, strip out the components for the flash from a disposable camera and there's your ingition train.

That said, I still can't decipher the initiator, easiest would have been a light sensor or the other old classic of a circuit closer made up of a spring closed clamp cannibalized from a clothes peg, two metal foil conductive surfaces separated by a piece of stiff card or plastic secured at the top or bottom of the mailing bag.

Having said that, the whole devices, as shown to date are so craptastic my biggest surprise is the idiot builder didn't die or be maimed during his assembly.
I would be very surprised if they are showing all of the components in any of the photos available.
Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Turtle wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:04 pm
That guy is about as cliche RWNJ as the bomber's van.

Sadly, this isn't an act.
CJ Roberts

Post by CJ Roberts »

Soros made me a decent enough offer, but the van was a deal breaker

You're the kind of lawyer guilty people hire.
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

I know we have another topic for mass shootings (sadly) but should be noted this is now another angry white man ginned up by Hannity, Fox News and Donald who followed QAnon and committed the worst act of terrorism against Jews in 200 years. The GOP has been desperate to change the subject and today's tragedy just made Chris Wallace in that clip above look like an idiot. They will be dealing with this all week and hopefully voters say they've had enough and break the GOP's absolute power.

Here is an archive of his Gab account. http://archive.li/k63LE Here’s a second archive. https://web.archive.org/web/20181027160 ... /a/cwB9QkR Be aware that it takes a while to load because there are so many images in it.

Wonder if he was friends on the disgusting sewer of GAB with Miki Booth, she likes it there when Facebook bans her. GAB can try and excuse this but the FBI and DOJ need to spend time looking at the hate speech and terrorism that are blatantly posted there.

Avatar: Young Joe Biden! The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo
Mail bomb suspect made numerous references on Facebook to Russian associates and echoed pro-Kremlin views

A Facebook account apparently belonging to the man charged with sending pipe bombs to prominent Democrats this week included references to Russian associates and propaganda links that echo Kremlin views on the Syrian civil war, alongside ramblings about soccer, women and U.S. politics.

Cesar Sayoc, 56, a vocal supporter of President Trump who was arrested in Florida on Friday and charged with multiple federal crimes, apparently spoke of “my Russian brothers” on several occasions on a Facebook page in 2015. The meaning of the references to Russians is not clear, nor is it clear how Sayoc came to view and share propaganda sympathetic to Russian actions in Syria.

Facebook removed the account from public view after news spread of Sayoc’s arrest. But The Washington Post obtained hundreds of public posts from 2015 and 2016 from Columbia University social media researcher Jonathan Albright, who downloaded them Friday before Facebook removed the information.

The Facebook account reviewed by the Post carried the name “Cesar Altieri,” the first and middle names of Sayoc, and features posts including words, pictures and videos, along with copious news links. The posts include many selfies and other pictures featuring him at various locations around Florida, both alone and with what appear to be friends.

Similar themes emerged in a Twitter account that appears to have belonged to Sayoc, under the name “hardrockintlent,” which uses a variation on Sayoc’s name and a business affiliated with him, as well as his picture. Information from the account, which has been suspended by Twitter, was also obtained by Albright. It is distinct from the Twitter account listed in the criminal complaint and indicates Sayoc operated multiple accounts.
Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Orlylicious wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:26 pm I know we have another topic for mass shootings (sadly) but should be noted this is now another angry white man ginned up by Hannity, Fox News and Donald who followed QAnon and committed the worst act of terrorism against Jews in 200 years. The GOP has been desperate to change the subject and today's tragedy just made Chris Wallace in that clip above look like an idiot. They will be dealing with this all week and hopefully voters say they've had enough and break the GOP's absolute power.

Wonder if he was friends on the disgusting sewer of GAB with Miki Booth, she likes it there when Facebook bans her. GAB can try and excuse this but the FBI and DOJ need to spend time looking at the hate speech and terrorism that are blatantly posted there.
And on a related note:

Paypal bans Gab following Pittsburgh shooting

Earlier today, a gunman walked into the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and killed eleven people before being apprehended by police. The suspect has since been identified as 46-year-old Robert Bowers, who appears to have had a history anti-Semitic speech on the social network Gab. Following these revelations, Paypal banned the site from its payment platform — the latest action taken against the troublesome social network by a major technology company.

Paypal is the latest major platform to boot Gab. Apple has refused to host the site’s app in its iOS store, and in August 2017, Google removed the app from the Google Play store, for violating the company’s hate speech policy, while Microsoft threatened to stop hosting the site after a pair of anti-Semitic posts were published on the site in July of this year. With Paypal’s revocation of its services, the site could be deprived of a major revenue conduit.

Since Paypal’s action, Gab’s Twitter feed has struck out at Facebook and Twitter, saying that it doesn’t “allow terrorists on our platform,” and dismissed the idea that the rhetoric on its platform translates into real-world violence. But researchers have found that antisemetic messaging on online platforms is on the rise, and the attempted bombing of prominent Trump critics in the past week has put a spotlight on the role that online rhetoric has played in recent weeks, months, and years.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/27/180 ... h-shooting
Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Daily News
MAGA bomber suspect Cesar Sayoc was banned from mother's home over his support of Trump

The Trump-touting, pizza-delivering strip club DJ accused of sending more than a dozen pipe bombs to prominent Democrats across the country fell out with his own mother over his right-wing vitriol and was barred from her Florida home, a source who knows the family said.

The last straw for accused MAGA-bomber Cesar Sayoc Jr. was when he appeared at his mother’s condo complex in a Make America Great Hat in 2016, said the source.

After that his mother asked security not to let him in to come visit her anymore — not because she was scared, but because she didn’t want him to tarnish her reputation as an upstanding Democrat in her politically engaged and progressive community.

“When he came out as a Republican, that was the last straw that broke the camel's back,” the family contact said. “That was it, because one day, he came in a red hat, with 'Trump,' and that was it — ‘No, I don't want to see him in my apartment.’”

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”