MAGA BOMBS

Mikedunford

Re: MAGA BOMBS

Post by Mikedunford »

Loren wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:17 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:49 pm Wait, no terrorism charges?
https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... oc/574144/
I'll look at that article, and the relevant statutes, in more detail tomorrow, but that reasoning makes little sense to me. Under that reasoning, I'm not sure why there wouldn't be issues with charging an American citizen with terrorism even in cases where it's in support of a foreign group.

And I thought I remembered that the definition in the statue was phrased in ideology-neutral terms.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Dear Donald: ask Henry (II? I think it was?) about words having consequences - will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest? That went well...
BrianH

Post by BrianH »

Maybe the package is still en route, but no Pelosi? (Or Schumer?) Did Trump's once-friendly "Chuck and Nancy" tweets provide cover?
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

He also attacked David Hogg frequently on his Twitter account. He is another potential target.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater »

And fox News is blurring out the stickers on the van. It's as if they don't want anyone to know he was a Trumper.
Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Off Topic
OFF-TOPIC cuz NUT JOB POST
Debra Cochran
1 hr ·
Why are they putting their hands all over the "evidence"? Why aren't any of the stickers faded from the Florida sun? How did he drive this vehicle around when the Florida laws clearly state that back and side windows cannot be covered with stickers? #MAGABomberHoax #FakeFakeFake

[spoil]
[/spoil]
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tucker Carlson and Dan Bondingo trying to mansplain it all.
Edit: At least twice they reminded us he was a male dancer - or I think the word used was stripper, too lazy to go back.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Apparently he was living in his van. I guess with the choice between Deplorable stickers and curtains, he went with the stickers.
Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Just want to say this was good work by law enforcement.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Suranis wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:20 pm Just want to say this was good work by law enforcement.
:clap: :thumbs:
Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Trump accuses media of trying to 'score political points' after suspect charged for mail bombs

President Trump accused the news media of trying to "score political points" on Friday after a suspect was taken into custody following a spate of attempted mail bombings targeting prominent Democrats.

Trump argued during a campaign rally in Charlotte, N.C., on Friday night that the “media has a major role to play whether they want to or not” in repairing the civility of political discourse.

The crowd responded by chanting "media sucks."

“The media’s constant unfair coverage, deep hostility and negative attacks only serve to drive people apart and to undermine healthy debate,” Trump continued.

The president then accused the news media of attempting to use the mail bombing case as ammunition against him and the GOP.

“We have seen an effort by the media in recent hours to use the sinister actions of one individual to score political points against me and the Republican Party," Trump charged. <snip>

ETA
When asked earlier Friday about Sayoc being a supporter of his, Trump acknowledged Sayoc as a "a person that preferred me over others" but claimed not to have seen the stickers on the van.

"I did not. I did not see my face on the van," he said
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... er-suspect
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp
SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 10 years Admin Law Judge for 4 state agencies. Retired but still available for ass kicking.

Post by SuzieC »

When asked earlier Friday about Sayoc being a supporter of his, Trump acknowledged Sayoc as a "a person that preferred me over others" but claimed not to have seen the stickers on the van.
"I did not. I did not see my face on the van," he said

Dear Fat Orange Fuckface: Of course you love Sayoc because he preferred you over others. That is your sole criterion for judging people. And your fat bloated orange face was on the van along with crosshairs over your enemies, former Presidents of the United States.

I thought I hated Trump. I thought I was disgusted. I almost vomited every day. But this, this, this is so beyond the pale. Nothing like this has ever happened. His supporters are trying to assassinate his political opponents, who are not opponents, but are enemies of the state. I'm really scared out of my mind and so I have redoubled my GOTV, written 325 letters and postcards, and contributed thousands of dollars.
HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost »

Damn. I picked the right day to wake and bake...Thanks for the stochastic terrorism articles. God knows what next week brings, but hopefully (as I mentioned here before this all broke) the focus on the influence of Drumpf's idiotic violent rhetoric - which he does to draw chuckles from nutjobs like this homegrown terrorist for "owning the libs" - will continue with people like Will Sommer and JJ MacNab showing up on CNN etc. (Fox is obviously out of the question)...Though I am worried as to what's in next week's script to push this out of the limelight...Perhaps Erdogan releases the tapes?

I made a somewhat inappropriate joke also before this broke that, although I am staunchly anti-death penalty, if the person is found to be a MAGAite, he must be executed on live prime-time by President Trump to send a clear message to all others who might even consider political violence in MAGALand..."Think of the ratings, sir."
"I said we will sacrifice the economy in the short term to protect our people's health, people's lives!" - Nguyễn Xuân Phúc
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

BuzzFeed News

Verified account

@BuzzFeedNews
2h2 hours ago
More
The pipe bomb suspect's former boss (he quit in January) told CNN that he identified himself as a white supremacist and Nazi supporter.

"He was anti-gay, anti-black, anti-jewish, you name it, everybody that really wasn't white."
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:13 pm Apparently he was living in his van. I guess with the choice between Deplorable stickers and curtains, he went with the stickers.
He wasn't making those bombs in the van. That leads to a lot of questions to be followed up on.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Fingerprint, DNA and cellphone tracking led investigators to mail bomb suspect Cesar Sayoc

WASHINGTON — A single fingerprint helped lead the FBI to the man accused of mailing bombs to prominent Democrats and critics of President Trump, including former President Barack Obama and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Since the first bomb was discovered Monday at the home of billionaire and Democratic donor George Soros, at least 13 packages containing bombs were mailed.

All of those turned out to be strikingly similar. They were sent in a manila envelope, several with six America forever stamps, with the return address of Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, with her name misspelled.

The investigation immediately kicked into high gear. The bombs, which the FBI referred to as improvised explosive devices, or IEDs, were sent to the FBI's bomb laboratory in Quantico, Virginia. There, within hours on Thursday, investigators found a solitary fingerprint from one of two packages addressed to Rep. Maxine Waters. Then they lifted DNA samples from two IEDs.

"Once I knew they had a print, I was pretty confident that we would be able to find the right person," said FBI Director Christopher Wray.

The FBI matched the fingerprint and DNA to Cesar Sayoc and alerted law enforcement in Florida on Friday night. Investigators used video surveillance near a South Florida postal facility to identify Sayok. An electronic device was then used to ping and track his cellphone, leading to his location.

On Friday morning, they moved in. It took a little over a day from the first fingerprint being detected to Sayoc's arrest.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fingerprin ... sar-sayoc/
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

The FBI matched the fingerprint and DNA to Cesar Sayoc and alerted law enforcement in Florida on Friday night. Investigators used video surveillance near a South Florida postal facility to identify Sayok. An electronic device was then used to ping and track his cellphone, leading to his location.
I think someone mentioned this possibility earlier today. :)
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost »

Some more details about Mnuchin's bank that foreclosed on the terrorist's home. Irony abounds...
CESAR SAYOC’S HOME WAS FORECLOSED ON BY STEVE MNUCHIN’S BANK, USING DODGY PAPERWORK

CESAR SAYOC, THE Donald Trump-loving Floridian who was taken into custody in relation to pipe bombs mailed to prominent Democrats, was foreclosed on in 2009 by a bank whose principal owner and chair is now Trump’s treasury secretary, Steven Mnuchin.

The documents used to enact the foreclosure were signed by a prominent robo-signer and seemingly backdated. Nonetheless, the evidence was good enough for the famously inattentive Florida foreclosure courts to wave the case through. Years later, Sayoc became a supporter of Trump, who came into office and appointed a treasury secretary who ran the bank that snatched Sayoc’s house.

The Intercept obtained the records by searching Broward County foreclosure documents, which are all public.

It’s a bizarre twist to a story that has captured America’s attention this week. Thirteen pipe bombs were sent by mail to high-profile Trump critics: former President Barack Obama, former Vice President Joe Biden, Bill and Hillary Clinton, Sens. Cory Booker and Kamala Harris, Rep. Maxine Waters, former Attorney General Eric Holder, actor Robert DeNiro, financier and Democratic donor George Soros, among others. None of the bombs exploded.

In yet another irony, Soros was one of the investors in the bank that executed the foreclosure on Sayoc’s home.

https://theintercept.com/2018/10/26/ces ... FOBnsl0A4g
"I said we will sacrifice the economy in the short term to protect our people's health, people's lives!" - Nguyễn Xuân Phúc
GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

So....

Why put a clock on the devices?

I mean, when ya mail something you really have no idea when it will be delivered. You need a trigger that will go off when the envelope is opened.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.
HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost »

GreatGrey wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:18 pm So....

Why put a clock on the devices?

I mean, when ya mail something you really have no idea when it will be delivered. You need a trigger that will go off when the envelope is opened.
#MAGA_MORON :blink: This man apparently had very little idea of anything...it was some funny "hoax" in his mind...

The only thing giving the MAGAites (and Drumpf) cover is the "suss" ethnic name, even though US-born...Wait and see if Trump dare plays that card...
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:13 pm Apparently he was living in his van. I guess with the choice between Deplorable stickers and curtains, he went with the stickers.
As for the losers who claim that it is illegal to have stickers on the back and side windows, how many work vans do you see with no back or side windows?
Sluffy1

Post by Sluffy1 »

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:49 pm And fox News is blurring out the stickers on the van. It's as if they don't want anyone to know he was a Trumper.
I tuned to Fox early in the coverage to see what they were reporting.
The onscene reporter described the van as having political stickers on the windows... that was it, not a hint of the hateful nature of the stickers. ... unreal
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Chilidog wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:58 am
As for the losers who claim that it is illegal to have stickers on the back and side windows, how many work vans do you see with no back or side windows?
And I think that is that window perf stuff anyway and not actual stickers. He's just made a collage of his favorite RWNJ memes and had them printed for his van. If they were stickers, no way they would fit together so perfectly without overlapping, or being stopped 100 times for "obstructed view" tickets. In one of the close-up shots from a citizen you can see the slight outline of a tree in front of the van through the perfs, too. Window perf is perfectly legal or AT&T van windows would all be naked.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

Loren wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:17 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:49 pm Wait, no terrorism charges?
https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... oc/574144/
Why the Mail Bomber Wasn’t Charged With Terrorism
What about once an attack has been committed? Sayoc has not been charged with the federal crime of domestic terrorism, because there is no such federal crime. But domestic terrorists can still face severe penalties.
There's no crime labeled as "domestic terrorism." However, there's an entire chapter (113B) of Title 18 which deals with terrorism, and which includes at least one plausible charge that doesn't appear in the indictment:
§2332a
(a)Offense Against a National of the United States or Within the United States.—A person who, without lawful authority, uses, threatens, or attempts or conspires to use, a weapon of mass destruction—
(2) against any person or property within the United States, and
(A) the mail or any facility of interstate or foreign commerce is used in furtherance of the offense;
So I suspect that the Atlantic article might not have been a bit less thorough than their norm.

As far as the reasoning for not filing those charges is concerned, Popehat has already commented; Twitter thread linked below:
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”