Re: Hurricane Michael

Post by Volkonski » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:10 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Hurricane Michael Devastates Georgia's Agricultural Industry
More than 2 million chickens have been killed and Georgia farms and dairies have been heavily impacted by Hurricane Michael.

https://patch.com/georgia/dallas-hiram/ ... ontent=aol
"Michael's impact has been the most widespread and devastating hurricane in recollection to impact Georgia's agriculture industry," said Agriculture Commissioner Gary W. Black. "Crops, animals and infrastructure have all taken a substantial loss."

Poultry contributes $23.3 billion to Georgia's economy and has reported the most widespread power outages and loss. To date, the GDA has received reports of 84 chicken houses, estimated to have held more than two million chickens, that were destroyed. The farms, dairies and processing plants impacted were in Appling, Colquitt, Coffee, Decatur, Evans, Houston, Mitchell, Randolph, Lee and Wilcox Counties.

As Georgia farmers feared, the state's main cash crops of cotton, pecans and peanuts have been devastated to the tune of an estimated $2 billion worth of damage to the Georgia economy, Julie McPeake, chief communication officer for the Georgia Department of Agriculture told Patch. The true amount of the destruction to crops may not yet be known because reports are still coming in.

Cotton, which is the state's top row crop and ranks second in the nation, also suffered massive loss due to the hurricane. Damaging winds drove much of the fiber to the ground for a total loss or tangled the cotton, making it much harder to extract clean lint during the ginning process.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:56 pm

Drone footage. Don't worry about sound, it's just background music.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:57 pm

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:15 pm

Storm surge.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:48 pm

Andrew Gillum has been great in his media appearances, he's acting like a governor and clearly knowledgeable about the issues. Voters in Florida are seeing it. Was Ron DeSantis even in the state?

Avatar Photo: Michael "Who Says?" Cohen. Says SDNY & Mueller. What it's like at the prison in Otisville where Michael Cohen may go? https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/12/us/micha ... index.html

tek

Post by tek » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:00 am

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:21 am

Brock Long, FEMA Director, was just on CNN. Perhaps it's me, but he seems frustrated they (FEMA) have to keep dealing with these pesky disasters because peeps won't build properly and didn't heed the warnings to evacuate. I assume video will be available later this morning.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:03 am

Kendra wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:21 am
Brock Long, FEMA Director, was just on CNN. Perhaps it's me, but he seems frustrated they (FEMA) have to keep dealing with these pesky disasters because peeps won't build properly and didn't heed the warnings to evacuate. I assume video will be available later this morning.
He came across as a nasty asshole. I saw it. I just love how Republicans can't stand regulation and then when it's time for them to deal with this type of devastation Brock Long blamed the fact that people bought homes that were built before new building codes, i.e. regulations. His contempt for the plight of the newly homeless was front and center, clearly on display. I suppose this is getting in the way of his being able to use his government position to abuse the system, travel all over the place, and help cement the Rethuglican strangle hold on this country.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:13 am

RVInit wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:03 am
Kendra wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:21 am
He came across as a nasty asshole. I saw it. I just love how Republicans can't stand regulation and then when it's time for them to deal with this type of devastation Brock Long blamed the fact that people bought homes that were built before new building codes, i.e. regulations. His contempt for the plight of the newly homeless was front and center, clearly on display. I suppose this is getting in the way of his being able to use his government position to abuse the system, travel all over the place, and help cement the Rethuglican strangle hold on this country.
Must be terribly inconvenient having these awful storms that keep coming up and having to do some real work :sarcasm:

I hope some other reporters can get him back for another interview and replay those parts and ask hardball questions. Anderson Cooper, I'm looking at you...

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:16 am

CNN reporting five deaths in VA due to flooding as a result of storm.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:06 am

RVInit wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:03 am
:winner:

When I sat on our local the land use planning board, we had a small cadre of Conservative Value folks that appeared and spoke at hearings so they would have standing if they ever decided to contest a decision. I heard all the cliche reasons why the applicable city/county/state code was wrong meeting after meeting. And then one day, one of them wanted to use the full force of the code against his neighbors application. Lord, was it delicious to listen to the machinations. It was like I had my own private circus performing just for me and select group of people.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:22 am

Not to make light of a very tragic event, but I did have a giggle at the CNN reporter this morning discussing the overnight temps in the low 60s and there was concerns about hypothermia setting in...I know you all in the lower states are used to higher temps year round, but really? :confused:

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:16 pm

As of 2017, the population of Mexico Beach, Florida, was 1198. Praying that people got out but the lack of storms has led to complacency and that's really scary.

Avatar Photo: Michael "Who Says?" Cohen. Says SDNY & Mueller. What it's like at the prison in Otisville where Michael Cohen may go? https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/12/us/micha ... index.html

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Kendra wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:22 am
Not to make light of a very tragic event, but I did have a giggle at the CNN reporter this morning discussing the overnight temps in the low 60s and there was concerns about hypothermia setting in...I know you all in the lower states are used to higher temps year round, but really? :confused:
We got down to 71 the other day and we all had to scramble for jackets and sweaters. My feet are still cold. We just smile that smile when we hear people laughing at us for having no cold tolerance. Come on down one August when it's 100 degrees with 90% humidity and a sweat factor around 112 or so and sit in the sun with us all day at a festival, dancing, walking around, just doing normal things. The people laughing at us for wearing coats when it hits 60 are the ones puking their guts out from the heat and being hauled off in the ambulance with heat exhaustion.

HeatherGray

Post by HeatherGray » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:07 pm
Kendra wrote:
We got down to 71 the other day and we all had to scramble for jackets and sweaters. My feet are still cold. We just smile that smile when we hear people laughing at us for having no cold tolerance. Come on down one August when it's 100 degrees with 90% humidity and a sweat factor around 112 or so and sit in the sun with us all day at a festival, dancing, walking around, just doing normal things. The people laughing at us for wearing coats when it hits 60 are the ones puking their guts out from the heat and being hauled off in the ambulance with heat exhaustion.
My husband and I went back to Maryland for a family affair last weekend and all of us Westerners were complaining mightily about the humidity. I happened to encounter a woman walking her dogs, and after greeting them, mentioned how humid it was. Oh, she said in a puzzled tone, it really isn't that bad right now.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Kendra wrote:
That would be me :bighug:

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:14 pm

I didn't hear much on TV about Michael's impact on Virginia. Apparently, it was more powerful than anticipated by residents.
Five people are dead and one is missing in Virginia in incidents related to the remnants of Hurricane Michael, which also left more than half a million people without power and more than 1,200 roads in the state flooded or shut down, officials said.
:snippity:
Northam said a “wide swathe” of Virginia — from the southwest portion of the state to the Hampton Roads area — experienced torrential rains, high winds, flooding and suspected tornadoes. State officials said winds topped out at more than 75 mph and rain totaled four to eight inches.
:snippity:
The National Guard has been called in to help with recovery efforts in Danville, which sits along the banks of the Dan River. The river crested to peak of 30 feet overnight — more than five feet over what is considered “major flood stage,” according to city officials.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/hi ... ost&wpmm=1

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

tek

Post by tek » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Kendra wrote:
It's all perspective :blink:
Untitled-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:37 pm

tek wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:35 pm
Kendra wrote:
It's all perspective :blink:

Untitled-1.jpg
Seriously. When I was in Honolulu, low 60s was - on the rare occasions when it happened - cause for extra blankets and parkas. Now that I'm back in London, it's T-Shirt and shorts weather (practically).

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:59 pm

Reminds me of the scene from The Wire about the forty degree day. This is some of the best writing on television. Many may find the language offensive, so I'm putting it under the spoiler.
► Show Spoiler

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:15 pm

Maybe it's me, but "incredible" is not the best word to use for such a devastating storm.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Kendra wrote:
Or come to St. Louis, which is just as hot and humid as Mississippi in the summer but can get down below 10 degrees for a week or more at a time in the winter. :happyfamily:

“I don’t look to the teachings of Jesus for what my political beliefs should be.”

-Jerry Falwell, Jr.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Kendra wrote:
:towel: :geezerette:

Yeah, that’s me. There’s a reason I moved even farther North.
Off Topic
What’s the weather around, say, January? Been thinking of a tour of Southern State Capitals.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”