Missouri Duck Boat Sinking

RTH10260

Missouri Duck Boat Sinking

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:19 pm

As investigation into deadly duck boat incident begins, survivor describes almost drowning
By Jason Hanna, AnneClaire Stapleton, Steve Almasy and Faith Karimi, CNN

Updated 0211 GMT (1011 HKT) July 21, 2018

(CNN)Tia Coleman was one of 31 people riding on a Ride the Ducks Branson amphibious vessel when the craft began to sink in the rough lake water whipped up by a fast-moving thunderstorm.

Coleman, one of 14 people who survived after the boat went under the water, told CNN affiliate KOLR she was shouting but couldn't hear or see anyone else. She had been on board with 10 members of her family, according to KOLR.

"And I was yelling, I was screaming, and finally I said, 'Lord, just let me die, let me die,' I said. 'I can't keep drowning, I just can't keep drowning,'" she told KOLR.

"And then I just let go and I started floating. And I was floating up to the top. I felt the water temperature raise to warm," she said. "And then I felt the temperature raise, I jumped up and I saw the big boat that sits out there," she of spotting a riverboat that was docked nearby.

People were throwing out life jackets.

Water conditions on Table Rock Lake near the Missouri tourist mecca of Branson has deteriorated rapidly after a storm that had raced across the Midwest earlier Thursday rolling in with strong gusts.

Another Ride the Ducks boat was nearby but made it to shore, ahead of the one Coleman was on.

"We got out of it and made it to the ramp. And I turned around and watched the other boat nose-dive, and my heart dropped," passenger Kourtney Parker said.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/20/us/m ... index.html
9 family members among the 17 dead in Missouri duck boat accident
By MATT ZARRELL, JUSTIN DOOM EMILY SHAPIRO Jul 20, 2018, 10:12 PM ET

Nine people in one family were among the 17 killed when a tourist duck boat capsized in a Missouri lake Thursday night, the governor's office said. Two other members of that family survived.

Twenty-nine passengers and two crew members were on board the amphibious craft when it plunged into 80 feet of water in Table Rock Lake near Branson as severe thunderstorms struck the area, officials said. The boat landed upright on its wheels, Stone County Sheriff Doug Rader said.

Children were among the 17 killed, officials said. Seven others were injured, one seriously, the governor's office said. The ages of the victims range from 1 to 70 years old, according to the sheriff's office.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/dead-missouri ... d=56704420

AndyinPA

Re: Missouri Duck Boat Sinking

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:48 pm

That's truly sad. I'm curious to see if the water was getting bad when the ducky boats went out. I've read that the storm came up quickly, but there should have been some warning about the weather.

It's terrible that nine people in one family died. :crying:

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:58 pm

https://www.weather.gov/sgf/event_2018jul19_severe

Seems like it came from the Northwest as a severe storm and would have passed over Springfield first, so it isn't like it came out of nowhere.

There is a Midwestern tendency to ignore all storm warnings that aren't "tornado on the ground". Sometimes that's not so good.

"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:06 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:58 pm
There is a Midwestern tendency to ignore all storm warnings that aren't "tornado on the ground". Sometimes that's not so good.
Recently, I was watching a video of a significant tornado on the ground in Iowa. There was traffic going back and forth on the road right nearby, including ones heading in the direction of the tornado. I've spent my whole life in the midwest (and been very close to a tornado or two) and never understood the people who don't take cover, especially when the weather looks to take a turn for the really bad.

North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:20 pm

I’ve been on one of those things on a slightly choppy river. They normally ride quite low in the water anyway, the wave action made it worse. Fortunately, the water time was only 15 minutes.

No way would I get on one in any kind of inclement weather. Maybe even in clement weather. The drivers aren’t the best historians.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:57 am

There have been accidents in several countries arising from the use of these vehicles for tourist trips. Unless modified, they are not inherently buoyant and can easily suffer progressive flooding. Dublin (Ireland) has some offering city tours to tourists, but I think the licensing authority required the operator to install additional side buoyancy tanks and all participants are required to wear proper marine life jackets. They take those precautions even when the water part of the trip is only on the calm river waters and docks (I assume ... I might be wrong, I didn't go on it).

This was an accident waiting to happen.

USA Today has a piece looking at this aspect: 'Death traps': Federal officials have warned about dangers from duck boats for two decades. The mentions several accidents in the US and Canada but there have been several more in other countries.

The article ends:
The company involved in the Missouri accident, Ride the Ducks Branson, issued a statement saying it would assist families involved and the authorities in their investigation.

“The safety of our guests and employees is our No. 1 priority,” the statement said.
That part of the operator's statement is clearly a lie. Safety was clearly not even a serious consideration, let alone a priority.

Whip

Post by Whip » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:36 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:48 pm
That's truly sad. I'm curious to see if the water was getting bad when the ducky boats went out. I've read that the storm came up quickly, but there should have been some warning about the weather.

It's terrible that nine people in one family died. :crying:
a newscast had said there was a severe thunderstorm warning put out about a half hour before.

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Allegedly, the captain told the passengers when they boarded that there was no need to put on life preservers. He survived and, if he did tell the passengers that I suspect he will be facing some serious charges. I also suspect the boat line will be sued out of existence (even if covered by insurance, I can't see any insurer ever covering them again).

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:05 pm

My God! Those people were still sitting in their seats when the boat sunk! There was no attempt to get out of the boat. And they sank right next to the docked showboat. I have no words. This woman is one of the 2 members that survived out of 11 in her family. She lost 3 of her kids and her husband, along with other family members.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/21/us/tia-c ... index.html

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:48 pm

I made the mistake of watching the video. It cuts off before the sinking, but still, its heartbreaking.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those midwesterners who completely ignore storm warnings, so I can understand the families assuming it would be fine, and that the driver would be able to change plans if the situation became dangerous. I'd be surprised if the storm warning got to the driver- it sounds as if they had already started the tour at the time of the warning, and I read somewhere that observers said the skies were clear when the boats went into the water. Its all just so so sad. Those poor people.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:27 am

► Show Spoiler
Eleven members of the Coleman family can be seen smiling and posing with a life preserver just before they boarded a duck boat in Branson, Missouri, for a voyage only two of them survived.
:crying: :crying: :crying:

Spoiler tagged for those who don't want to see the photo of one happy family.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:09 pm

stoppingby wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:48 pm
:snippity:
Unfortunately, I'm one of those midwesterners who completely ignore storm warnings, [...]
It's one thing to take on a risk for yourself and perhaps for your family, it's a wholly different thing to act recklessly with other people's safety, especially when in a position of responsibility and with a duty of care. For example, it's perfectly fine to take unlabeled food from the fridge in your kitchen at home, sniff it and decide it's ok to eat despite a slightly dodgy aroma. But it's not ok to do that in a restaurant, where food must be properly labeled, stored correctly, and discarded if out-of-date or in any other way suspect.

The operators had warning, and conditions were worrying enough that some customers canceled, yet the operators didn't require passengers to wear lifejackets, indeed said it wss unnecessary.

The operators shirked their duty of care in a manner that must be criminal.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:58 pm

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:33 pm

Kendra wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:58 pm
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... cks-crash/

Verdict in the Seattle accident.
Note --- this is the verdict of the accident on a bridge in Seattle, not the sinking of such a vessel in a storm.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:37 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:33 pm
Kendra wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:58 pm
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... cks-crash/

Verdict in the Seattle accident.
Note --- this is the verdict of the accident on a bridge in Seattle, not the sinking of such a vessel in a storm.
Ty. There are times I think I'm clearer than than the rest of the world sees me :bag:

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”