Students Plan to Protest Gun Laws - Protest Information

Volkonski

Re: Students Plan to Protest Gun Laws - Protest Information

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Lani wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:08 pm
Trump expresses support for "concealed carry" for teachers
President Trump said today that he would be closely looking at the idea of secretly arming teachers and coaches so they could stop school shooters before first responders arrive at the scene.

"If you had a teacher who was adept the firearm, they could end the attack very quickly," he said, stating that schools could arm up to 20% of their teachers to stop "maniacs" who may try and attack them.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/21/us/flori ... index.html
Trump is a fool.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:05 pm

Oh, if I was 50 years younger I would be in the middle of this! :dance: These kids are at their most creative time of life. They haven't gotten started yet. Infowars and WND et al have no idea about what is about to happen to them. They have awakened sleeping giants and filled them with a terrible resolve.

The Pro-Trump Media Has Its Match In The Parkland Students
The pro-Trump media chose a political enemy effectively born onto the internet and innately capable of waging an information war.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewarzel/ ... .av8NrO8Zb
The attack on outspoken survivors of the Parkland school shooting began with an article on the pro-Trump blog Gateway Pundit — known for trafficking in conspiracy theories like that of the unsolved murder of DNC staffer Seth Rich — that suggested David Hogg, a 17-year-old student, had “been coached on anti-Trump lines” by his father, a former FBI agent, for television appearances in which he calls for stricter gun laws. On Tuesday morning, Lucian Wintrich, the author of the initial Gateway Pundit story, tweeted that the Parkland students were “milking the deaths of their peers for their careers.”

:snippity:

In the case of the Parkland students, however, the mold doesn’t fit. A look at the Twitter feeds of students like David Hogg shows that they are a remarkable foil for the pro-Trump media’s trolling tactics. Like the pro-Trump media, they, too, are an insurgent political force that’s native to the internet. And while they use legacy platforms like cable news to build awareness of their names and of their causes, much of the real work happens online.

They use platforms like Twitter to call out and put pressure on politicians. They address prominent critics like Bill O’Reilly not with bland, carefully written statements, but by dunking on them, and they respond to misinformation in real-time with their own viral, emoji-laden posts. Rather than take the bait on the crisis actor narrative, they opted to have fun with the conspiracy theories by mocking them. “I’m thankful that there are people out there finding my doppelgangers for me. I’ve always wanted to have a party with a room full of people who look like me,” Emma Gonzalez, a Parkland student, told BuzzFeed News. By dismissing the conspiracies for what they are — a tired, rather boring page in the Infowars playbook — Gonzalez and her classmates have stripped them of their power. Before the pro-Trump media can finish its line of attack, the students, unfazed, have moved on, staying one step ahead of their political enemies and owning the story.

The pro-Trump media will no doubt continue its onslaught. And because the online ecosystems that undergird all of these interactions are deeply broken, the assault against David Hogg and his classmates will likely continue to spread across platforms like YouTube and Facebook and Twitter. But unlike the pro-Trump media’s usual enemies, the Parkland students innately understand how to use this broken system to their advantage. They know intuitively what the pro-Trump media has known (and used to its benefit) for years now: The way to win an information war is not to shy away from conflict online, but to lean into it.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:07 pm

Am I the only one picturing my sweet-as-sugar first grade teacher carrying an assault rifle? My first grade teacher was tiny and, since this was the 80s, sported a Little Orphan Annie perm to go with her permanent smile. So it'd be Little Orphan Annie Get Your Gun!

Edited: On the plus side it would work wonders for classroom discipline.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:15 pm

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:18 pm

maydijo wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:07 pm
Am I the only one picturing my sweet-as-sugar first grade teacher carrying an assault rifle? My first grade teacher was tiny and, since this was the 80s, sported a Little Orphan Annie perm to go with her permanent smile. So it'd be Little Orphan Annie Get Your Gun!

Edited: On the plus side it would work wonders for classroom discipline.
I'm right there with you.

On another note, that this is even being discussed by real people is a sure sign of the apocalypse. Just. Insane.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

vic

Post by vic » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:38 pm

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 5.35.41 PM.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:48 pm

Says it all really.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:54 pm

The aspect of the idiotic "let's arm the teachers plan" that amuses me is the money. Who's gonna pay for the guns, ammo and training for these teachers? I'm sure the idiots pushing this "plan" expect the teachers themselves to pay for the privilege of being the first person shot by a responding SWAT team, but teachers are struggling to provide minimal classroom supplies out of their inadequate pay, and now, thanks to the GOP tax scam, they can't even deduct those expenditures.

But I'm sure Betsy DeVos would make sure they could deduct a percentage of that Glock and maybe even that first box of ammo.

Image Image Image Image Image

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:20 pm

Rubio is getting destroyed on CNN, 7000 in Broward County (one of Florida's most Democratic). Booing him, yelling at him, a guy who lost his daughter told him to his face he was "pathetically weak". The kids are amazing and inspiring.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:01 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:20 pm
Rubio is getting destroyed on CNN, 7000 in Broward County (one of Florida's most Democratic). Booing him, yelling at him, a guy who lost his daughter told him to his face he was "pathetically weak". The kids are amazing and inspiring.
:rotflmao: I am enjoying watching Rubio getting hissed, booed, and learning that the next generation of voters in Florida will not be sending him back to Washington. I have written to him, called his office, etc, and the responses I get from him have left me nauseated. But I won't stop contacting his office. I bet he has my name on a fucken dart board. I hope so. I intend to be a thorn in that SOB's side for as long as he is an elected official. The bastard.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

BigSkip

Post by BigSkip » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:16 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:20 pm
Just brutal. And well deserved.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:21 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :like: :like:

I love the idea of Rubio having your name on a dart board!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:23 pm

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... orge-soros
Former Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke Jr. insinuated Wednesday that student survivors of the Parkland, Fla., school shooting were being manipulated by Democratic billionaire George Soros to organize for gun control.

In a tweet, the former Wisconsin sheriff wrote that media appearances and an activism campaign from students of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School against gun violence had "George Soros' fingerprints all over it."

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:30 pm

Kendra wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:23 pm
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... orge-soros
Former Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke Jr. insinuated Wednesday that student survivors of the Parkland, Fla., school shooting were being manipulated by Democratic billionaire George Soros to organize for gun control.

In a tweet, the former Wisconsin sheriff wrote that media appearances and an activism campaign from students of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School against gun violence had "George Soros' fingerprints all over it."
Dotus was lucky not to have him confirmed for a WH job, another embarassment spared :blackeye:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:48 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:03 pm
Many folk on the right going out of their way to disparage the Parkland students. :madguy:

I can't tell you how much I love this face. The steely gaze, the furrowed eyebrows, the super-short hair. This is a face I would take dead serious.
I love this young woman. She is fierce, self confident, and beautiful.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:39 am

RWNJs are having the vapors.

Ana ain’t having it

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:51 am

Hee hee...
95D0C0EB-40B9-4EEA-9BFC-D5F7F9466857.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:56 am

GreatGrey wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:39 am
RWNJs are having the vapors.

Ana ain’t having it

:like: Ana, you go,girl. :boxing:

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:20 am

Emma Gonzales of Parkland:
RVInit wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:33 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:48 pm
:snippity:
I can't tell you how much I love this face. The steely gaze, the furrowed eyebrows, the super-short hair. This is a face I would take dead serious.
I love this young woman. She is fierce, self confident, and beautiful.
Ms. Gonzales's speech at the first rally was AWESOME. She's a woman who if she was distantly related to you, worked in the same company, lived in the same area, however contrived the connection, you'd say "I'm proud of her!"

When one compares the power and dignity of the Parkland and other students with the weaselly crap coming from the right wing, the gun nuts and the conspiracy theorists ... well, there is no comparison. Humanity and hope on the students' side; vicious, lying, nonsensical filth from the Trumpist pro-mass murder wing.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:05 am

Congress critters should be shown the crime photos of the dead students and be required to go to the morgue to see them. Never mind. I just thought of Tom Cotton.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:14 am

Suranis wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:48 pm

Says it all really.
Looks to me like those young women are consciously keeping their knees tight together around the president*.

Who can blame them?

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:18 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:14 am
Suranis wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:48 pm

Says it all really.
Looks to me like those young women are consciously keeping their knees tight together around the president*.

Who can blame them?
They must have southern moms. This is a rite of passage for teenage southern females- learning how to sit "properly", meaning without your legs spread.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:21 am

I did see at one point in the listening session that 45 put his hand on the shoulder of the girl in the dark dress, as in comfort. Can't tell if she flinched or not.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:51 pm

CNN doesn't think Sheriff Mack is as important as he thinks he is. ;)

JJ MacNab

@jjmacnab

Sheriff Mack is pouting.
7:46 PM - Feb 22, 2018

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:56 pm

:thumbs:

:oops:

Is there a pity party emo?