Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

Hercule Parrot

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

Post by Hercule Parrot » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:53 pm

bomb squad from the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office safely removed the explosives from the home, authorities said.
Just as the NRA warned, big govt is flouting due process.... :bag:

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:36 pm

On cowboy hats and boots:

When I was growing up in East Texas, we understood that “the West” began in Fort Worth. So parts of Texas as well as Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and Florida could not be “the West.” Cowboy hats could be worn there only if one owned and tended cattle.. All the cowboy hats in Houston were laughable.

Boots are practical when riding a horse or walking the range in the West. Bushes and cacti love to reach out and scratch or tear. On the ground rattlesnakes are a very frequent threat. Many boots can foil their bites. A revolver does a better job.

Both hats and boots can be works of art. That may explain why the simple query “Do you run cattle?” does not always work today. The fundamentalist understanding of Western culture is evolving. The explanation may be the enormous Northern migration to the South in the last four or five decades. This has changed the culture of Texas.

This is one of the reasons for the shift towards purple, but it is important to note that Texas has had liberal politicians from the Great Depression on. The most important was Sen. Ralph Yarborough. I do not remember whether he wore cowboy hats.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:27 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:36 pm
On cowboy hats and boots: :snippity: Cowboy hats could be worn there only if one owned and tended cattle.. All the cowboy hats in Houston were laughable. :snippity:
This is getting way off topic but I would have to point out that the Texas Rangers have worn cowboy hats for many years as have many sheriffs and deputies throughout the state.

“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:05 am

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:27 pm
TollandRCR wrote:
On cowboy hats and boots: :snippity: Cowboy hats could be worn there only if one owned and tended cattle.. All the cowboy hats in Houston were laughable. :snippity:
This is getting way off topic but I would have to point out that the Texas Rangers have worn cowboy hats for many years as have many sheriffs and deputies throughout the state.
And cotton farmers in MS.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:56 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:05 am
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:27 pm
TollandRCR wrote:
And cotton farmers in MS.
And soybean, cotton, and rice farmers in Arkansas, along with cattle growers and horse owners. Tollie's exposure of the root of some Texans' prejudice is interesting. "You ain't no kind a man if you ain't got land [with cows on it]." Delmar, O, Brother, Where Art Thou.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:03 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Boots are practical when riding a horse or walking the range in the West. Bushes and cacti love to reach out and scratch or tear. On the ground rattlesnakes are a very frequent threat. Many boots can foil their bites. A revolver does a better job.
Off Topic

Whenever I hear about people wearing cowboy boots at fashion, I keep struggling to remember that western style ones actually are practical (or at least functional) for general walking. I only ever learned to ride hunter and found the boots to be uncomfortable walking any significant distance. Then again I found them uncomfortable for riding too.. I was slowly working on getting my instructor to just let me ride barefoot.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”