Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

User avatar
Kendra
Posts: 7226
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 am

Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#1

Post by Kendra » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:13 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-deputi ... d=50598240
Authorities in Florida found a cache of guns and explosives inside a home during the course of a child pornography investigation Wednesday, officials said.

Deputies from the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office found a vast arsenal inside a locked closet in a home in Dunedin, including three explosive devices, 10 rifles, eight handguns, two shotguns, ammunition, a makeshift firearm sound suppressor, more than 15 knives, a baseball bat with protruding nails, a crossbow, brass knuckles and gunpowder, the sheriff's office said in a press release.

The deputies also found aerial photographs of a water treatment plant, an elementary school and a middle school -- all Hillsborough County -- as well as notes on how to make explosive devices, according to the sheriff's office.

A handwritten note found by detectives read, "The daughters come, and I am ready. I have fed on my hatred for centuries. My fury at those who imprisoned me shall be vast and without mercy. I shall have my bloody revenge, and then the WORLD WILL BURN BURN," according to the sheriff's office.

Officials arrested 24-year-old Randall Drake, who was transported to the Pinellas County Jail without incident, authorities said. Detectives attempted to interview him, but he refused to speak to them, according to the sheriff's office.
Mugshot and photo of his arsenal at the link.



User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24886
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#2

Post by Addie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 pm

Good grief. :cantlook:


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Kendra
Posts: 7226
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 am

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#3

Post by Kendra » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:51 pm

Addie wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 pm
Good grief. :cantlook:
I really hate to go down this path, but he doesn't look like one of those radical Islamic terrorists 45 is trying to keep out of the country to keep 'Murica safe.



User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24886
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#4

Post by Addie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:10 pm

It seems to me there are more and more stories about RWNJ weapons caches and child pornography lately. I do avoid reading past the headlines when it comes to this topic, so I could have the wrong impression. I hate this world anymore, I swear. :(
Kendra wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:51 pm
Addie wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 pm
Good grief. :cantlook:
I really hate to go down this path, but he doesn't look like one of those radical Islamic terrorists 45 is trying to keep out of the country to keep 'Murica safe.


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 8335
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#5

Post by Chilidog » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:14 pm

What? No harpoon?



User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 8335
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#6

Post by Chilidog » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Kendra wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:51 pm
Addie wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 pm
Good grief. :cantlook:
I really hate to go down this path, but he doesn't look like one of those radical Islamic terrorists 45 is trying to keep out of the country to keep 'Murica safe.
The guy is a dead ringer for my ex-brother-in-law.



User avatar
Kendra
Posts: 7226
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 am

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#7

Post by Kendra » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Addie wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:10 pm
It seems to me there are more and more stories about RWNJ weapons caches and child pornography lately. I do avoid reading past the headlines when it comes to this topic, so I could have the wrong impression. I hate this world anymore, I swear. :(
Kendra wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:51 pm
Addie wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 pm
Good grief. :cantlook:
I really hate to go down this path, but he doesn't look like one of those radical Islamic terrorists 45 is trying to keep out of the country to keep 'Murica safe.
Me too.



User avatar
MsDaisy
Posts: 4266
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#8

Post by MsDaisy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:31 pm

:shock: Holy crap!


Birfers are toast

User avatar
Northland10
Posts: 6426
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:19 am
Location: Chicago area - North burbs

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#9

Post by Northland10 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:33 pm

Addie wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:10 pm
It seems to me there are more and more stories about RWNJ weapons caches and child pornography lately. I do avoid reading past the headlines when it comes to this topic, so I could have the wrong impression. I hate this world anymore, I swear. :(
Kendra wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:51 pm
Addie wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 pm
Good grief. :cantlook:
I really hate to go down this path, but he doesn't look like one of those radical Islamic terrorists 45 is trying to keep out of the country to keep 'Murica safe.
RWNJ's, especially neo-Nazis and white supremecists, having gun and child porn issues is not a new thing. In my past research, child porn and abuse was a common occurrence in the racist groups, along with their gun fetish.

My theoy has been that these people see others as objects not human, so they have no issue with abusing or even killing others. Others are just a thing to them and so their only wish is their own gratification (remember in Silence of the Lambs, Buffalo Bill would say "IT rubs the lotion over IT's skin.") Some of their feelings could be fed by a fear and hatred that has developed over their lifetime.

I don't know if it is happening more now or we are just hearing about it more due to the increase in available information (via internet) and a heightened child protection enforcement (Arpaio being an exception). Certainly an unsettling times fed by the outrage machine could reinforce people's hate which may cause normally suppressed character traits to manifest.


North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

User avatar
kate520
Posts: 14128
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:02 pm

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#10

Post by kate520 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:47 pm

How could his parents not have known? That’s not a jumble of junk hiding a weapons stash, that’s a neat and tidy gun room w/ child porn on the second shelf, right below the towels and bullets.


Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

TexasFilly
Posts: 17526
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#11

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:10 pm

Bond set at $20,000? Hopefully that will change.


I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

User avatar
Kendra
Posts: 7226
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 am

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#12

Post by Kendra » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:52 pm

More details at the local level.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafe ... ls/2341718
:snippity: Drake has lived at the home since 2014, Gualtieri said. His parents said they had not known what was in the closet their son kept locked. There, deputies found the collection of guns and other weapons, which had been given names. They found a bat with nails jutting out of it labeled "Macy." Drake had printed aerial images of Essrig Elementary School, Ben Hill Middle School, both in Hillsborough County, and the Hillsborough County Water Treatment Center. Deputies found more than 2,300 rounds of ammunition and a tactical vest. His computer was seized to further investigate if he had child pornography. :snippity:

:snippity: Drake had no previous criminal history with the county. His parents told authorities he had been homeschooled since the third grade. They knew he had some guns, he said, but not to the extent of what deputies found, which included a high-powered AK-47 assault rifle and a .50-caliber pistol.

All of it, he said, minus part of the silencer, did not require a permit or license.

The last place Drake worked was Florida Firearm Academy in New Port Richey, Gualtieri said. They don't know how long he worked there, but he was fired in 2015 after he came to work with guns strapped to his thighs. :snippity:
Ok then. And why he's out of jail:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafe ... er/2341812
:snippity: As of Friday morning, Drake's $20,000 bail was posted, but as Sheriff Bob Gualtieri announced in a Thursday news conference, the Sheriff's Office had him Baker Acted to evaluate his mental health.

Pinellas sheriff's Cpl. Dan DiFrancesco said doctors typically have up to 72 hours to evaluate someone who has been Baker Acted on the initial visit, but they decide whether a person should be released sooner or kept longer.

"He's still in custody of sorts, he's just not in jail anymore," he said.
:snippity:



User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2593
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#13

Post by maydijo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Sounds like just another good guy with a gun to me. A regular NRA poster boy.



User avatar
neeneko
Posts: 1094
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#14

Post by neeneko » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:35 pm

I know this is supposed to be scary... but as soon as they mentioned a baseball bat with nails stuck in it, I can't take the guy seriously. It is a classic 'I watch too much TV' weapon, and leads me to believe that the most likely outcome of the guy's hoard would be accidentally killing himself somehow.



User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 2918
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#15

Post by Azastan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:00 pm

neeneko wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:35 pm
I know this is supposed to be scary... but as soon as they mentioned a baseball bat with nails stuck in it, I can't take the guy seriously. It is a classic 'I watch too much TV' weapon, and leads me to believe that the most likely outcome of the guy's hoard would be accidentally killing himself somehow.
Without making this sound too light-hearted, it sounds as if he thought he was going to encounter zombies.

Really, what was the point of a bat with nails?



User avatar
Dan1100
Posts: 2039
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#16

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:23 pm

Azastan wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:00 pm
neeneko wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:35 pm
I know this is supposed to be scary... but as soon as they mentioned a baseball bat with nails stuck in it, I can't take the guy seriously. It is a classic 'I watch too much TV' weapon, and leads me to believe that the most likely outcome of the guy's hoard would be accidentally killing himself somehow.
Without making this sound too light-hearted, it sounds as if he thought he was going to encounter zombies.

Really, what was the point of a bat with nails?
Walking Dead season premiere costume party?


"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

User avatar
Sugar Magnolia
Posts: 8977
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 am

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#17

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Azastan wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:00 pm
Really, what was the point of a bat with nails?
So he could name it Macy?



User avatar
TollandRCR
Posts: 19768
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#18

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:12 pm

I have not done a statistical analysis, but I have the very strong impression that Florida is populated with sick, dangerous, and angry people, with good people living in gated enclaves. I have no desire to return there. Am I wrong?


“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
Northland10
Posts: 6426
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:19 am
Location: Chicago area - North burbs

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#19

Post by Northland10 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:37 pm

His parents told authorities he had been homeschooled since the third grade.
One issue with homeschooling is the potential for limiting social development. In schooling, you learn social skills, how to work with others, how to deal with authority, and how to deal with social situations (authorities, colleagues, fellow students, etc.) that are not always pleasant. I know some homeschooling parents who have gone to great lengths to make up for this missing piece of learning, but many do not. I have seen many home-schooled students who have real issues working and playing well with others and authority.

There are also those who pull their children into homeschooling because of issues with authority and others. Yet, they never try to help the child actually learn to deal with it, they just blame it on others. Now the child is angry and alone.


North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 43203
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Over the drawbridge

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#20

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:01 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:12 pm
I have not done a statistical analysis, but I have the very strong impression that Florida is populated with sick, dangerous, and angry people, with good people living in gated enclaves. I have no desire to return there. Am I wrong?
Afraid so. You need to re-evaluate the people in the gated enclaves.



User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2593
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#21

Post by maydijo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:07 am

Northland10 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:37 pm
His parents told authorities he had been homeschooled since the third grade.
One issue with homeschooling is the potential for limiting social development. In schooling, you learn social skills, how to work with others, how to deal with authority, and how to deal with social situations (authorities, colleagues, fellow students, etc.) that are not always pleasant. I know some homeschooling parents who have gone to great lengths to make up for this missing piece of learning, but many do not. I have seen many home-schooled students who have real issues working and playing well with others and authority.

There are also those who pull their children into homeschooling because of issues with authority and others. Yet, they never try to help the child actually learn to deal with it, they just blame it on others. Now the child is angry and alone.
This. It's certainly not true of all homeschool kids, but there are definitely some who struggle with rules and authority, whose parents feel the answer is to homeschool instead of address those issues and work with the school to solve them. My dad saw this happen over and over again when he was teaching. Part of his job involved assessing the progress of homeschooled kids in the district. As might be expected, those kids who were pulled out of school because their parents refused to address their behavioural problems continued to have behavioural problems. In other words, the problem wasn't the school setting, but the complete unwillingness or inability of the parents to recognise and address the underlying issues.



User avatar
Slim Cognito
Posts: 4523
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 am

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#22

Post by Slim Cognito » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:37 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:12 pm
I have not done a statistical analysis, but I have the very strong impression that Florida is populated with sick, dangerous, and angry people, with good people living in gated enclaves. I have no desire to return there. Am I wrong?
I live in SW Florida, which is red but not deep red if you actually check the numbers. Our big problem is a lot of democrats here think, "What's the use of voting? We always lose." They don't realize that, if they actually all voted, we have a pretty good shot.

I belong to the local dems club, whose membership has skyrocketed in recent months. We're meeting today to hear a speaker talk about immigration law and next month we're having a Meet and Greet featuring Ilhan Omar, a Somalian refugee who was recently elected to the MN legislature, the first Somali-American-Muslim to be elected in the U.S.

The people in this area are the friendliest people I have ever met. How any of these wonderful, kind, thoughtful and caring people ever pulled the lever for Trump is something I will never understand.


ImageImageImage x4

User avatar
pipistrelle
Posts: 3970
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#23

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:49 am

Addie wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:10 pm
It seems to me there are more and more stories about RWNJ weapons caches and child pornography lately. I do avoid reading past the headlines when it comes to this topic, so I could have the wrong impression. I hate this world anymore, I swear. :(
Kendra wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:51 pm
Addie wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 pm
Good grief. :cantlook:
I really hate to go down this path, but he doesn't look like one of those radical Islamic terrorists 45 is trying to keep out of the country to keep 'Murica safe.
When I hate the world, I take a walk in nature, find some birds or butterflies, then I am in love all over again.



User avatar
Dan1100
Posts: 2039
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#24

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:37 am
TollandRCR wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:12 pm
I have not done a statistical analysis, but I have the very strong impression that Florida is populated with sick, dangerous, and angry people, with good people living in gated enclaves. I have no desire to return there. Am I wrong?
I live in SW Florida, which is red but not deep red if you actually check the numbers. Our big problem is a lot of democrats here think, "What's the use of voting? We always lose." They don't realize that, if they actually all voted, we have a pretty good shot.

I belong to the local dems club, whose membership has skyrocketed in recent months. We're meeting today to hear a speaker talk about immigration law and next month we're having a Meet and Greet featuring Ilhan Omar, a Somalian refugee who was recently elected to the MN legislature, the first Somali-American-Muslim to be elected in the U.S.

The people in this area are the friendliest people I have ever met. How any of these wonderful, kind, thoughtful and caring people ever pulled the lever for Trump is something I will never understand.
I kind of felt that way when I saw the racist reactions to the Ferguson Protests. People from St. Louis are literally too polite to use their car horns. The overt racism of the rich white suburban West County and St. Charles folks was a shock. I think it is mostly fear based. . .


"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

User avatar
Judge Roy Bean
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:26 pm
Location: West of the Pecos
Occupation: Isn't it obvious?

Re: Florida deputies stumble on weapons stash

#25

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:01 pm

This one is set for pre-trial hearing on Monday, the 5th - CIRCUIT COURT, PINELLAS COUNTY, FLORIDA
FELONY DIVISION, Clearwater, FL CN: 17-12761-CF.


“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

Post Reply

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”