Earthquake! (or maybe Volcano!)

Kendra

Re: Earthquake! (or maybe Volcano!)

Post by Kendra » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:15 pm

#BREAKING #LeilaniEstatesEruption #KilaueaVolcano (June 9 at 3 PM): *PLEASE SHARE* The Hawaiʻi County Civil Defense Agency just sent out this alert: “Perched flow cresting near intersection of Hwy132 & Pohoiki. Stay out of Lava Tree State Park. Residents close to active flow, stay alert & be prepared to voluntarily evacuate with little notice. The shelter at Pahoa Community Center is open and pet-friendly.” Stay tuned to Hawaii News Now for the very latest developments #HInews #HawaiiNews #HNN #HawaiiNewsNow #WeAreYourSource — at Lava Tree State Monument.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:49 pm

New reports this morning of an overflow from the F8 lava river.

lavapix.com

@lavapixcom
Follow Follow @lavapixcom
More
That's a fairly large overflow in the lower right corner of the photo. Might be on #pgv property. #halemaumau #Hawaii #hvnp #hppa #volcano #Kilauea #lava #NEWSで妄想 #KilaueaVolcano #LeilaniEstates #BigIsland #eruption #Kapoho #SundayMorning

11:04 AM - 10 Jun 2018

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

kate520

Re: Earthquake!

Post by kate520 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:54 pm

X posted in hijack.

Mr Gneiss or Mikedunford, a scenario for debunking, if you will. Asking for a writer friend.

Hawai’i has made many of us :blink: aware for the first time of the underground lava flows that crisscross the continents. Is it within the realm of possibility that there’s a place where, if something happened to it, things could go corkscrew for the planet itself?

Feel free to answer in broad terms, you may stretch the possible. It’s for fiction.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:09 pm

As I speculated was possible a few days ago, the F8 lava flow has now filled almost all the area east of 137 between the 1955 and 1960 lava flows at Kapoho Beach and Vacationland. :(

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... jU1k1QH5AL

The Kapoho Beach area reminds me a lot of the North Fork. It is a tourist area with farms, beaches, restaurants, vacation homes, etc. I can not imagine the North Fork being destroyed within a few days time. :?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:00 pm

kate520 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:54 pm
X posted in hijack.

Mr Gneiss or Mikedunford, a scenario for debunking, if you will. Asking for a writer friend.

Hawai’i has made many of us :blink: aware for the first time of the underground lava flows that crisscross the continents. Is it within the realm of possibility that there’s a place where, if something happened to it, things could go corkscrew for the planet itself?

Feel free to answer in broad terms, you may stretch the possible. It’s for fiction.
Yellowstone. Google “super volcanoes.”

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:09 pm
As I speculated was possible a few days ago, the F8 lava flow has now filled almost all the area east of 137 between the 1955 and 1960 lava flows at Kapoho Beach and Vacationland. :(

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... jU1k1QH5AL

The Kapoho Beach area reminds me a lot of the North Fork. It is a tourist area with farms, beaches, restaurants, vacation homes, etc. I can not imagine the North Fork being destroyed within a few days time. :?
It happens twice a year. These cataclysms are called "Memorial Day weekend" and "Labor Day weekend." Not as bad as on the South Fork, however...

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:27 pm

This thermal map shows the fissure system and lava flows as of 5:30 pm on Saturday, June 9. The flow from Fissure 8 remains active, with the flow entering the ocean at Kapoho. The black and white area is the extent of the thermal map. Temperature in the thermal image is displayed as gray-scale values, with the brightest pixels indicating the hottest areas. The thermal map was constructed by stitching many overlapping oblique thermal images collected by a handheld thermal camera during a helicopter overflight of the flow field. The base is a copyrighted color satellite image (used with permission) provided by Digital Globe. (see large map)

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:47 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:00 pm
kate520 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:54 pm
X posted in hijack.

Yellowstone. Google “super volcanoes.”
:yeah:

There's a Harry Turtledove series on that scenario.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:07 am

New Madrid

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:37 am

Chilidog wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:07 am
New Madrid
Has some potential for disaster, but not much for volcanism unless you go the full Cussler route when it comes to discarding plausibility.

Also has been done as a book, although not a spectacularly great one.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:16 am

New Madrid is plate tectonics fault line, if and when it goes if follows pattern it could make San Francisco look like a cakewalk. In the US (continental) the majority of the volcanic potential is west of the Mississippi, with Yellowstone the most potentially destructive and the west coast volcanoes for surprise affect. And just for the paranoid among us, the Yavapai area in NM has been progressively warming and rising in the last 20 years.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:43 am

So much! Thanks!

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:24 am

Kate,

Sorry, late as usual. I've been working on a plat of a large land survey with a little over 100 original GLO stone corners, so blending my surveying and geologic talents with detailed descriptions of each stone. :-D

There are many modern supervolcanoes around the earth. Several have been mentioned by others. In Italy there is also Campi Flegrei, a volcanic caldera to the west of Naples (some think it is getting ready to blow); not to mention the Minoan eruption that occurred on Thera (modern-day Santorini Island) between 1642–1540 BCE and the Taupo Volcano a large rhyolitic supervolcano on New Zealand’s North Island, where Lake Taupo has flooded the collapsed caldera. It's biggest eruption was 26,500 years ago.

There was a new episode of "Drain the Oceans - Lost Worlds of the Mediterranean" tonight on the National Geographic channel that mentions three supervolcanoes in the Mediterranean Sea. It starts with the Thera eruption, then discusses the sunken Roman city of Baiae (in the middle of a collapsed caldera) and concludes with some ominous warnings of the adjacent Campi Flegrei supervolcano, which they estimate may have an explosive eruption ten times the one that wiped out the Minoans.

The Toba supervolcano has been speculated in the past as being the creator of Eve as it was assumed that humankind was nearly wiped out when it blew 74,000 years ago. Here is a Smithsonian article that implies it was bigger than the Yellowstone event approx. 640,000 years ago. The article states that it is the largest supervolcanic eruption in the last 2 million years.

Ancient Humans Weathered the Toba Supervolcano Just Fine

ETA: Volkonoski (Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:43 pm) posted earlier in this thread info and links re Campi Flegrei.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6798&p=916246&hilit=campi#p916246

And for completeness, here is a link to a general Wiki article entitled "Prediction of volcanic activity" that also includes case studies.

Prediction of volcanic activity

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:23 am

Mr. Gneiss wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:24 am
not to mention the Minoan eruption that occurred on Thera (modern-day Santorini Island) between 1642–1540 BCE
Which is thought to be the basis for the "Atlantis" story by Plato in his Critas and Timaeus works.

I also think a Tsunami created by that explosion is a good candidate for the "Noah's Flood" Event that was the basis for the biblical story. The story of a flood was actually common in the Myths of the region, so the smart money is that SOMETHING happened as the basis of it.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:46 am

Also a contender is the Black Sea. I read that the region gradually sunk so that it was under the level of the Mediteranean, kept out by a thin barrier at (now) Istanbul, which gave way suddenly (after prolonged rains?) and flooded the region which was populated by some very unlucky folks indeed.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:31 pm

#LeilaniEstatesEruption #KilaueaVolcano LATEST (May 23 at 9:45 AM): New video provides an upclose look inside #LeilaniEstates where several fissures are firing. USGS HVO scientists just released this update: “Eruption of lava and ground cracking continues in the area of Leilani Estates subdivision. Over the course of the day, the most active eruptive activity in the Lower East Rift Zone shifted to the middle portion of the system of fissures. The most active fissures were 22,19, 6, 5, and 23. Fissure 17, at the northeastern end of the fissure system is only weakly active now. Fissure 6 is feeding a flow to the south, roughly parallel to the western flow from fissure 22. Fountaining of fissures 5 and 23 fed flows in the eastern part of Leilani Estates. Additional ground cracking and outbreaks of lava are possible in the area. Residents downslope of the region of fissures should heed all Count of Hawaii Civil Defense messages and warnings. Magma continues to be supplied to the lower East Rift Zone. Elevated earthquake activity continues, but earthquake locations have not moved farther downrift in the past couple of days, and there were only a few earthquakes located today in the rift zone. USGS/HVO continues to monitor the lower East Rift Zone activity 24/7 in coordination with Hawaii County Civil Defense, with geologists onsite to track ongoing and new fissure activity and the advance of lava flows. As for the activity at the Kīlauea Volcano summit: small ash emissions from the Overlook crater have been occurring frequently today. Moderate trade winds were blowing to the southwest and noticeable ashfall may happen in downwind locations. Additional explosive events that could produce minor amounts of ashfall downwind are possible at any time. Volcanic gas emissions at the summit remain high.” Stay tuned to Hawaii News Now for the very latest developments #HInews #HawaiiNews #HNN #HawaiiNewsNow #WeAreYourSource

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:08 am

Dfgc8iBUwAE4LUi.jpeg
Lava under the Milky Way
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:56 am

That is a beautiful picture of a very frightening occurrence. Pele been busy of late.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:15 am

Residents downslope of the region of fissures should heed all Count of Hawaii Civil Defense messages and warnings.
Wait. Hawaii has a Count?

:lol:

► Show Spoiler

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:52 am

Edit: more awesome photos at the link, for those who do the FB thingy.

Mary Quite Contrary

Post by Mary Quite Contrary » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:36 am

Those are some of the most impressive pictures I’ve ever seen. So stunningly beautiful. And absolutely scary.

"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:02 am

Mary Quite Contrary wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:36 am
Those are some of the most impressive pictures I’ve ever seen. So stunningly beautiful. And absolutely scary.
They are something. I am so grateful to all the photographers getting out there and sharing their photos with the world.

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Facebook post from Mileka Lincoln about lost homes and FEMA. It's long, but one paragraph. One big paragraph. <sigh> Posted below for those of you don't do Fraudbook.
Mileka Lincoln is in Pahoa, Hawaii.

#LeilaniEstatesEruption #KilaueaVolcano UPDATE (June 12 at 8:30 PM): It was another packed house at the Pāhoa Community Meeting and the focus for many was on FEMA relief, as word has spread through the community that officials are on the ground still to determine whether the effected neighborhoods have sustained enough loss to meet federal criteria to qualify for individual assistance — an amount that on average is just $4,000. FEMA officials confirm anyone with insurance or who was living in a secondary or vacation home will not qualify for aid — but it’s unclear what will happen to those whose houses are still standing but are inaccessible because lava is blocking roadways or to those property owners who built unpermitted structures, like Kathy Emery. “I couldn’t afford to buy a whole structure at one time so I built my house $500 at a time,” Emery explained. It may seem unusual that a person would build a home without a permit — but we understand there were many property owners in this area that did so — given the struggle to secure affordable mortgage insurance that offered coverage in Lava Hazard Zone 1. As it has been explained to us, permits were typically only needed to secure loan financing or electricity service — but since many homes in this area are off-the-grid, many just didn’t pull permits. “The rules aren’t easy to follow because we didn’t have insurance. I’d walk into a bank and they would just say: No way! Lava 1? Absolutely not. And I’d say: Well, it’s been 400 years since a lava flow been over there — I thought that would count for something. This all surprised us, but still you can’t follow the rules if the bank says you have to have insurance and no one will insure you,” explained Emery. Pictures finally confirmed today what Emery has been afraid of — she lost her house and farm off of Highway 137 near Green Mountain. Even without a permit for her home, Emery is a tax payer. She’s hoping the county will advocate for her and many others believed to be in her same predicament. When we asked FEMA officials yesterday whether unpermitted structures would be included in their assessment to determine individual assistance, we were told that still hadn’t been figured out yet. Hawaiʻi County Civil Defense Agency officials say the number of confirmed homes that have been claimed by lava is currently 455, which they clarify includes only homes that were confirmed by county records — so no unpermitted structures. Hawaiʻi County Mayor Harry Kim puts the estimate closer to 600-700 — though it’s unclear if his figure does take unpermitted structures into account. Stay tuned to Hawaii News Now for the very latest developments.
https://www.facebook.com/milekalincoln. ... &padding=0

There are a lot of off the grid homes in the lava zoned areas. Currently, it looks like the owners are out of luck for any assistance.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:07 am

Based on FEMA's response to Harvey et al, I would not expect very much from them. :(

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:23 am

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:07 am
Based on FEMA's response to Harvey et al, I would not expect very much from them. :(
I'm not holding my breath for much assistance. Especially another island that some in DC might think of as populated by brown skinned people. :madguy:

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”