Earthquake! (or maybe Volcano!)

Mikedunford

Re: Earthquake!

Post by Mikedunford » Sun May 13, 2018 8:55 pm

You know that tragic condition that afflicts senior and distinguished members of various fields? The one where they become irresistibly compelled to make a blithering idiot of themselves by blundering into areas they know absolutely nothing about? Looks like Larry Tribe has come down with a bad case:

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun May 13, 2018 9:31 pm

:roll:

Some mainland news outlets are telling scary stories about the Ring of Fire and what parts of the US are doomed. Doomed, I tell ya! To add credibility, the stories report that geologists are keeping a close eye on the volcanoes.

Cuz, duh, that's their job.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun May 13, 2018 10:13 pm

As I remember, isn't Kilauea the wrong Kind of volcano to go all Krakatoa? Now some of the other ring of fire specimens, including some of the home grown ones could be. To me it is more concerning that so me of them could get up so to speak.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sun May 13, 2018 10:27 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:13 pm
As I remember, isn't Kilauea the wrong Kind of volcano to go all Krakatoa? Now some of the other ring of fire specimens, including some of the home grown ones could be. To me it is more concerning that so me of them could get up so to speak.
Yes, Krakatoa is a very different kind of volcano from Kilauea. And Kilauea can't do anything to affect the volcanoes on the mainland.

Too, also, there's not a lot about this eruption that's different from what's been going on at Kilauea over the last 30+ years - the vast bulk of the eruptive activity that's been happening since 1982 has been coming from the rift zone, not the central vent. This is just movement of the activity farther down the rift zone - but just to another area that's seen plenty of this sort of eruptive activity in the past. The only new element is the possibility for explosive activity at the central vent, and even that's not really a new development - there was a similar episode in the 1920s.

As traumatic as the Kilauea eruption is to those directly affected, it's not showing signs (at least as of now) of doing anything special or abnormal for this volcano.

--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun May 13, 2018 10:35 pm

We flew over Kilauea in a helicopter when it was not terribly active in 2004. It was fascinating. We stayed at the hotel that overlooks it. I wonder how that's doing with all this activity.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun May 13, 2018 11:02 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:27 pm
Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:13 pm
Yes, Krakatoa is a very different kind of volcano from Kilauea. And Kilauea can't do anything to affect the volcanoes on the mainland.

Too, also, there's not a lot about this eruption that's different from what's been going on at Kilauea over the last 30+ years - the vast bulk of the eruptive activity that's been happening since 1982 has been coming from the rift zone, not the central vent. This is just movement of the activity farther down the rift zone - but just to another area that's seen plenty of this sort of eruptive activity in the past. The only new element is the possibility for explosive activity at the central vent, and even that's not really a new development - there was a similar episode in the 1920s.

As traumatic as the Kilauea eruption is to those directly affected, it's not showing signs (at least as of now) of doing anything special or abnormal for this volcano.

It's been too many yeaars since I studied this in school, but I do remember that Hawaii's volcanoes are different than the usual variety, flowing and building, and this eruption for tthe most part seems to be pretty much in keeping with prior eruptions. I think the big difference is the much larger audence and the immediacy of it thanks to the intrnet.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun May 13, 2018 11:09 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:35 pm
We flew over Kilauea in a helicopter when it was not terribly active in 2004. It was fascinating. We stayed at the hotel that overlooks it. I wonder how that's doing with all this activity.
Volcano House is closed, as is the entire park. :(

That got me thinking about Volcano Village! I just checked, and it's still open for visitors. https://www.lovebigisland.com/volcano-village/

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun May 13, 2018 11:32 pm

Lani wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:09 pm
AndyinPA wrote:

That got me thinking about Volcano Village! I just checked, and it's still open for visitors. https://www.lovebigisland.com/volcano-village/
I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt or killed, but I wonder if they are keeping the fireplace going.

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon May 14, 2018 12:15 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:32 pm
Lani wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:09 pm
AndyinPA wrote:

I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt or killed, but I wonder if they are keeping the fireplace going.
Don't know, but it sure seems like somebody hasn't been throwing gin in the crater lately.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon May 14, 2018 1:05 am

:eek2:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon May 14, 2018 7:56 am

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon May 14, 2018 8:08 am

New fissure is seen spewing lava hundreds of feet in the air in Hawaii's Pahoa as officials warn of the possibility of an "explosive eruption." https://abcn.ws/2L1PO70

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon May 14, 2018 1:55 pm

https://www.facebook.com/civilbeat/?hc_ ... Yo&fref=nf

Honolulu Civil Beat, worth a follow for those who do FB. Photos and video of the volcano, etc.

Here's a slideshow from the 10th: http://www.civilbeat.org/2018/05/the-pr ... lava-zone/

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon May 14, 2018 7:02 pm

http://www.civilbeat.org/2018/05/big-is ... divisions/
Big Island: How Land Schemes Turned Lava Fields Into Subdivisions

An accurate explanation of how and why so many people live on a volcano. Originally a land scheme, now the only place people can afford.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon May 14, 2018 7:11 pm

Lani wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:02 pm
http://www.civilbeat.org/2018/05/big-is ... divisions/
Big Island: How Land Schemes Turned Lava Fields Into Subdivisions

An accurate explanation of how and why so many people live on a volcano. Originally a land scheme, now the only place people can afford.
Thanks Lani, interesting. I don't know if it has changed since the late 60s, but when we lived on Oahu and bought a house, there was no owning the land - one paid rent on that. At least that's what I remember, if I'm wrong, I'll blame it on only being in grade school and based my facts on what the adults told me :oops:

No link, but I did see a headline a short bit ago that fissure #19 has sprung.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon May 14, 2018 7:13 pm

As explained to me, the earthquakes are opening up new fissures below the lava, which momentarily is sparing parts of the island. On the other hand, if these fissures continue to open further, by repeated earthquakes and the pressure of flowing lava, the lava will actually trickle - or more likely flood - down into the water table below the surface of the island. When that happens, the water will turn to steam and the resulting pressure will cause an upward explosion not merely of the hot lava but of the rock and soil and everything built on it. Conceivably this could sink the whole island. The closest analogy would be the 1883 destruction of Krakatoa, in Indonesia, which darkened the skies for hundreds of miles, spread debris even farther, and sent vibrations that could be felt in London.

Even if such drastic effects are unlikely or impossible, I think the US Navy ought to send Big Boats to help evacuate the island.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:13 pm
As explained to me, the earthquakes are opening up new fissures below the lava, which momentarily is sparing parts of the island. On the other hand, if these fissures continue to open further, by repeated earthquakes and the pressure of flowing lava, the lava will actually trickle - or more likely flood - down into the water table below the surface of the island. When that happens, the water will turn to steam and the resulting pressure will cause an upward explosion not merely of the hot lava but of the rock and soil and everything built on it. Conceivably this could sink the whole island. The closest analogy would be the 1883 destruction of Krakatoa, in Indonesia, which darkened the skies for hundreds of miles, spread debris even farther, and sent vibrations that could be felt in London.

Even if such drastic effects are unlikely or impossible, I think the US Navy ought to send Big Boats to help evacuate the island.
Yeah, that's not how any of this shit works.

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon May 14, 2018 7:26 pm

Kendra, most land neighbor islands is fee simple, unlike Oahu.

Yep, fissure 19 was born a little while ago. Also, the steaming cracks in roads are increasing. If one of them blows, mass evacuations will be underway as safe exit routes will be diminished.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon May 14, 2018 7:30 pm

Too, also, fee simple ownership is (IIRC) increasing on Oahu. A lot of the land was owned by trusts, and a lot of those trusts have hit the limits of the Rule Against Perpetuities and closed out. I believe that in quite a few of those cases, the leaseholders were given a chance to purchase the land.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon May 14, 2018 7:36 pm

Thanks Lani and Mike. Glad I'm not totally losing it ;)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:47 am

18th fissure opens west of Highway 132, Hale Kamahina Loop Road ordered to evacuate

dated May 14

18th is declared 17th cause the 17th was crack only no lave flow

Lani

Post by Lani » Tue May 15, 2018 9:47 pm

#18 became #17, but now there is a newer #18. Also, a #19 and #20. Another steaming area has been located and may become our #21 by the end of the day.

And just for fun, Kilauea crater had a big boom today followed by a cloud rising an estimated 3,000 to 4,000 feet originally, but new reports say spurts to over 10,000 feet.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu May 17, 2018 12:24 pm

ABC News

@ABC
28m
NEW: An "explosive eruption" has occurred at Kilauea's Summit.

"The resulting ash plume will cover the surrounding area... you should shelter in place if you are in the path of the ash plume," Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency said. https://abcn.ws/2wRUVn2 pic.twitter.com/SrTx7KaFYe

ABC News

@ABC
MORE: Hawaii's Kilauea volcano has erupted from its summit, shooting a dusty plume of ash about 30,000 feet into the sky. https://abcn.ws/2KuUcuc

11:19 AM - May 17, 2018

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu May 17, 2018 12:26 pm

If anyone finds pictures, please post.

Oh, and tomorrow is the anniversary for Mt. St. Helens for those who track those things.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu May 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Webcam frame from (evacuated) HVO:

Looks like the eruption was around dawn. Not sure how many of the other pictures around are current vs from prior days.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”