Weather Alerts

Northland10

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Northland10 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:07 am

The wimp may want to avoid the northland of Illinois. It is around 14 or -10 for those unAmerican globalist temperature types. It is supposed to get up to the low 40s in the next couple if days, and then rain, turning the 10-14 inches of snow into a mucky mess.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:29 pm

California drought returns. Could set records. :(

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html
If February joins December and January into record-setting dryness, "then California is marching into unprecedented territory, which has never been seen before in the recorded climate history," Steve Johnson, long-range forecaster with Atmospherics Group International, said in an email. "Unless March and/or April bring abundant rains … this rainfall season could end up being one of, or possibly THE driest in our climate history."

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:38 pm

I follow some of the national parks on Facebook and have seen on the ones in California that there is not much snow even high up. That's a really bad sign. They had huge amounts of snow in the 2016-2017 winter and there was a lot of flooding and still snow to be seen when we were there in early June last year. That one year of a lot of snow was not going to help them in the long run, though, if it was just a single event, which it now seems to be since the most recent droughts in California started.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:26 am

ABC News
Flood warnings issued across 6 states ahead of developing storm

An unsettled weather pattern is developing in the Eastern U.S. with heavy rain and flooding possible from the Ohio Valley to parts of the Northeast. A flood watch already has been issued for six states this morning.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:41 am

We were to have three days of rain this week, but it was a 5 minute sprinkle on Tuesday and now the rain is canceled. Facebook rubs it in: Good news, Kate! The clouds are gone and the sun is shining!

California is in trouble. You’re right, Andy, the snow pack this year is wayyy low. Our city has resumed water restrictions. It’s only rained once this season. :crying:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:30 am

CBS News
West Virginia gov. declares State of Emergency after heavy rainfall

West Virginia Governor Jim Justin declared a State of Emergency for all counties in the state on Saturday following heavy rainfall that triggered statewide flooding.

The State Emergency Operations Center was on enhanced watch status Saturday, CBS affiliate WVNS reports. The West Virginia National Guard was put on standby for potential mobilization to help emergency agencies.

Justice said in a tweet that "heavy rain triggered flooding in multiple locations and was expected to continue throughout the weekend."

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:56 am

We've got really high water and flood warnings here, too, from the rain. The Monongahela Rivers flows up from West Virginia to here. It then, along with the Allegheny River, forms the Ohio River. The Point in Pittsburgh is under water. It's where the Mon and Allegheny meet to form the Ohio. And, looking at the weather, there's more rain to come over the next week to ten days. Our temps have been higher than usual for February so we get our moisture in the form of rain rather than snow.

tek

Post by tek » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:51 pm

we're getting useless snow tonight.
Six inches of snow, make a mess, and it's supposed to be 69F Wednesday.

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:18 pm

I had a 95 foot coastal redwood that was in really bad shape over the last year because of the drought. I have watered the hell out of it. It appears to be coming back. And it's now 30 feet taller!

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:49 pm

I thought it was all rain in the forecast. Now it's all white out there again, although only an inch or so. It's warming soon again, though. I saw more photos on FB today of the flooding at The Point. Today there is no Point.

February* has been a real roller coaster of a ride here. We've had near zero temps, highs in the 60s, snow, rain, the worst flooding in Downtown Pittsburgh in thirteen years, and the first tornado ever recorded in February in Southwestern PA, about forty miles away in Uniontown.

This isn't The Point, but it's close to it. It's called the Bathtub because it turns into one when the Mon floods. On a normal day, this is a really high traffic area.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/regio ... 1802170074

*But then last February we left for Puerto Rico for a transatlantic cruise to Madeira, Morocco, and ending up in Barcelona. I had pondered about what to do with a winter coat on the plane and in Puerto Rico. It was 78 degrees the day we left for Puerto Rico near the end of the month.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:02 pm

The Point underwater. The round thingie is a fountain.
FB_IMG_1518919193919.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:04 pm

Thanks. :)

It's a HUGE fountain. And it sits above the rivers more than beside it. There are rows of steps used for seating off to the left of the fountain and all of them are underwater. That's where the Rubber Duckie was in 2013!

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:56 pm

My phone just went into klaxon mode to warn me of imminent flash floods in the area. THANKS FOR THE HEADS-UP, I ONLY JUST SWAM TWO BLOCKS HOME FROM WORK.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:01 pm

I didn't see what the official temp was today, but my car said 78 degrees and it really was warm. It will "only" be in the 60s tomorrow with more rain and, I'm sure, more flood warnings.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:31 am

ABC News
At least 4 dead after reported tornadoes, flooding sweep through the South

Three reported tornadoes swept through the South overnight, while flooding and other severe weather also wrecked havoc on the region, resulting in at least four deaths.

The tornadoes were reported in Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas. Three of the deaths reported so far were reported in Kentucky, while the fourth death occurred in Arkansas.

In Kentucky's Logan County, one person died from a house collapsing due to strong winds. In Simpson County, a man was killed after flooding washed away his car. And in Henderson County, a man was found dead submerged in his car.

The fourth death, in Arkansas, was caused by a man's trailer being blown away during strong winds. Straight-line wind gusts of 70 mph were reported in parts of Arkansas.

There was also widespread damage in parts of Missouri, as well.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Good time to be in Texas. ;)

NBC News

@NBCNews

States along the Atlantic Coast and beyond are bracing for a major Nor’easter expected to pound the region in the coming days with damaging winds, heavy rain and snow and severe flooding.
http://
nbcnews.to/2FcG2P9

12:18 PM - Mar 1, 2018

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:39 pm

WaPo
A powerful storm is gearing up to slam the Northeast, and it could topple records

On Friday and Saturday, a powerful storm will lash the Northeast with destructive coastal flooding, wind and heavy snow. It is shaping up to be the most destructive nor’easter of the season, perhaps the most destructive in decades for some along the coast.

The coastal flooding could be worse than what New England experienced during the “bomb cyclone” in early January. Storm surge in eastern Massachusetts seems likely to match or exceed the levels of the early January storm as well as the Blizzard of 1978. With a massive, damaging wind field, it will mimic the impact of Hurricane Sandy in 2012.

The National Weather Service is calling it a life and death situation along the coast.

The flooding

The timing of this nor’easter could not be worse. It coincides with the full moon, when tides are at their highest. Coastal flooding already began Thursday morning because of high tide alone. On Friday and Saturday, 3 to 5 feet of storm surge will be added to the tides. There will also be extra inundation from waves, which are expected to reach a height of 30 feet offshore.

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:21 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:29 pm
Interestingly, that map shows where I am (western Mass) as getting rain, as do all of our iPhone weather apps. However, my weather radio alert app went off a couple of hours ago with a Winter Weather Warning from the NWS in Taunton MA that we are forecast for 5-8" (with some spots getting up to 12"). This forecast was a surprise to everyone I know, especially since it was 57° when I got the notification. I've also heard the winds tomorrow will be in the 35-45 mph range which will make whatever precip we get that much more delightful.

I really miss the old normal winters - & I'm not a fan of winter.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:16 am

We are having the winds that sound like a freight train here in the blue ridge mountains of western Virginia. It’s crazy. Usually the winds come from over the mountain from the west. Now they’re coming in big swirls, and a big gust of wind will come from the south and from the east etc. I forgot to bring maybe dogs dog bed in from the front porch, so I’m going to have to go looking for that. The power is out, the neighbor said it went out this morning around 5 o’clock. She said she saw the powerline workers out, and they said they were looking for the problem. But maybe dog and I are snug here in the cabin, I have a fire in the woodstove so I’m plenty warm. Maybe Saux is on his way home from Kansas City, and I checked the FlightAware app, and his plane is in the air and schedule to arrive on time at Dulles. We’ll see.

tek

Post by tek » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:29 am

from one of my co-workers this morning.. he lives in Gloucester:
You know it might not be a good day when the Channel 7 Emergency Storm Freak-Out Vehicle is parked at the bottom of your street

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:33 am

The Hill
Government closes Friday due to high winds

Intense winds in the Washington area shuttered the federal government and several school districts on Friday as a powerful winter storm pounded the Northeast.

Residents in the Washington region woke up Friday to howling winds, and the National Weather Service (NWS) issued forecasts of gusts of up to 70 miles per hour.

The Office of Personnel Management, the federal agency charged with overseeing the government's civilian workforce, announced the government closure on its website Friday.

The winds felt in Washington are the result of Winter Storm Riley, a powerful nor'easter working its way through the Northeast and unleashing wet snow, damaging winds and even coastal flooding across parts of the East Coast. ...

The NWS warned that winds in the D.C. area could down trees and power lines and cautioned against "dangerous" travel. The high wind warning will stay in effect until 6 a.m. on Saturday, the agency said.

"This will be a prolonged, high-impact windstorm for the region, with many downed trees and power lines expected," the NWS said in a special weather statement for the region.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:54 pm

It's been very windy here since about 9 last night. We are too far east to get Nor'easters' rain or snow, but sometimes we get the wind, and this is definitely one of those times. The wind makes me particularly uneasy these days with so many ash trees that have to be taken down because they are dead.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:04 pm

We have a lot of dead ash trees from the emerald ash bore. But the forest service guy told us to leave them unless they’re close to the house, which they are not.

Meanwhile, the power came back on for a little while. But it’s off again.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:06 pm

:o

ABC News

@ABC

Authorities lift a toppled school bus, blown over by high winds from a nor'easter. There were no students on board, but the driver suffered minor injuries.
http://
abcn.ws/2F6Ku2F

11:59 AM - Mar 2, 2018

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:07 pm

:shock:

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”