Another Shooting

neeneko

Re: Another Shooting

Post by neeneko » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:43 pm

Kendra wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:31 pm
TY, I am completely ignorant of guns. The closest I've ever been to one is during jury duty when the sheriff walked past us on the way to the witness stand.
While the Bundy's 'wearing a gun at all times is our culture!' is mostly BS, guns generally are pretty common in more rural areas. I grew up in one of those rural/suburban border areas, and once you hit the 'lives on more than an acre' crowd it was not unusual for kids to have their own rifle, though I think air rifles were more common since they were better for backyard shooting.

Heh, while it was not at my school, I can remember conflicts growing up where schools had skeet teams and administrators were unsure if having kids with shotguns in the yearbook was appropriate or not.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:24 pm

Kendra wrote:

TY, I am completely ignorant of guns. The closest I've ever been to one is during jury duty when the sheriff walked past us on the way to the witness stand.
Almost everyone who owns horses, and keeps them on his/her own property, probably has at least a pellet gun to keep the rodent population under control.

My husband's family raised sheep in Northern California, and he remembers his mother getting out the 30-06 several times to shoot feral dogs which had packed up and were attacking the sheep.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Azastan wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:24 pm
Kendra wrote:

Almost everyone who owns horses, and keeps them on his/her own property, probably has at least a pellet gun to keep the rodent population under control.

My husband's family raised sheep in Northern California, and he remembers his mother getting out the 30-06 several times to shoot feral dogs which had packed up and were attacking the sheep.
I was born and raised in the 'burbs'. Even in my wilder partying days, I don't recall coming into contact with anyone who owned guns. Coors, Rainier and marijuana, but no gunz.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:38 pm

Kendra wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:27 pm
Azastan wrote:
Kendra wrote:

I was born and raised in the 'burbs'. Even in my wilder partying days, I don't recall coming into contact with anyone who owned guns. Coors, Rainier and marijuana, but no gunz.
My father's brothers are hunters and my mother's father was a farmer, yet I never saw them with a rifle except once when my grandfather was scaring deer, or maybe coyotes, away from his garden. The only time I saw firearms close when growing up was at Scout camp.

Granted, those in my family who had guns used them as tools for a task.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:35 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:38 pm
Granted, those in my family who had guns used them as tools for a task.
I think that makes a big difference for exposure. People who have guns for work or sport generally take them out during the activities and then put them away, so while one might be aware they have the guns one does not generally encounter them.
MN-Skeptic wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:20 pm

It's been said before:

Is the shooter black? If yes, get tough on crime in the big cities.
Is the shooter Muslim? If yes, further restrict immigrations.
Is the shooter an undocumented alien? If yes, Build That Wall!
Is the shooter white? If yes, express prayers and condolences.
Looks like the shooter was white, ex-military, and libertarian... so yep, prayers and condolences. Apparently the person has rants posted to youtube.. I wonder how pootish they are...

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:43 pm

Very sad. They didn’t mention in that article that the shooter is autistic.
A New Year’s Eve celebration turned into a family nightmare when an autistic 16-year-old fatally shot his father, mother, sister and his grandfather’s partner at their Jersey Shore home, officials said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3731274

I have a couple of friends with autistic kids. The violence coming from them is almost totally physical flailing and thrashing. None of them have ever used an instrument or weapon on purpose. Aspergers kids are different, I think. One family friend’s son regularly threatens his sisters with knives, scissors and hammers. If there had been a gun in the house, he would have used it.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:37 am

http://komonews.com/news/local/pierce-c ... l-burglary
FREDERICKSON, Wash. -- A Pierce County sheriff's deputy has died after being shot during a response to a burglary in Frederickson late Sunday night, and an active manhunt is under way for his suspected shooter.

According to the sheriff's office, the deputy responded at about 11:30 p.m. to a 911 call during which dispatchers could hear screaming and some type of altercation. The deputy arrived at the home on 200th St. E. and chased a suspect but was struck by gunfire during the pursuit.
:snippity:
The injured deputy was transported in critical condition to Saint Joseph Medical Center in Tacoma where he later died. That deputy, identified as 34-year-old Daniel McCartney of Yelm, was a three-year veteran of the force. He leaves behind a wife and three young boys, the Pierce County Sheriff's Department said.
:crying: :crying: :crying:

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:13 pm

WANE
Girl shot with BB gun dies

GRABILL, Ind. (WANE) An 8-year-old girl hospitalized after being accidentally shot by her brother with a BB gun has died.

Deborah Kay Schwartz of Grabill died at a local hospital after being taken away from her home at 8320 Ricker Road last Thursday. Police at the time said the girl had been accidentally shot in the eye with a BB gun by her 6-year-old brother.

The Allen County Coroner’s Office on Monday said young Deborah died of a gunshot wound to the head. Her death was ruled the county’s first homicide of 2018.

The shooting remains under investigation by the Allen County Sheriff’s Department, the Allen County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office and the Allen County Coroner’s Office.

¡Qué vergüenza!

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:13 pm
Girl shot with BB gun dies
Grrrrr. I really wish people would stop treating BB guns like harmless toys. Those things can really pack a punch, and a 6 year old should not be using one unattended, and the people around the kid should really have eye protection.

I would actually prefer parents start children off with a real gun, it tends to be easier to build up safe habits with something more dangerous then move to less dangerous weapons once the habits are ingrained than teach bad safety habits with something 'safer' then try to teach better ones later.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:42 pm

Associated Press
Police: Aryan Nations member shot officer in Tennessee, fled

Police in Tennessee say a man listed in a database as an Aryan Nations gang member shot an officer and is on the run.

Knoxville Police Chief David Rausch tells news outlets the man opened fire on Officer David Williams with a shotgun Thursday night as Williams attempted to stop him for speeding. Williams suffered a wound to his shoulder. The suspect is identified as 31-year-old Ronnie Lucas Wilson.

Rausch said the officer is not believed to have fired his weapon.

Authorities recovered Wilson's vehicle early Friday. Wilson is being sought on an attempted murder warrant. He was added to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation's top 10 most wanted fugitives list shortly before 10 a.m.

¡Qué vergüenza!

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Admiral Fitzfundfilcher will be green with envy.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:53 pm

Addie wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:42 pm
Associated Press
Police: Aryan Nations member shot officer in Tennessee, fled

Police in Tennessee say a man listed in a database as an Aryan Nations gang member shot an officer and is on the run.

Knoxville Police Chief David Rausch tells news outlets the man opened fire on Officer David Williams with a shotgun Thursday night as Williams attempted to stop him for speeding. Williams suffered a wound to his shoulder. The suspect is identified as 31-year-old Ronnie Lucas Wilson.

Rausch said the officer is not believed to have fired his weapon.

Authorities recovered Wilson's vehicle early Friday. Wilson is being sought on an attempted murder warrant. He was added to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation's top 10 most wanted fugitives list shortly before 10 a.m.
Aryan Nations? Was the police officer black? The article doesn't say and there is no photo.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Knoxville police are asking for the public's help finding a woman who might be with the man police say shot a KPD officer Thursday night.
Police say Kristin Denise King may be in danger. She is believed to be in the company of Ronnie Lucas Wilson.
http://www.wbir.com/article/news/crime/ ... -507316578

The officer who was shot was white.

Ronnie Lucas Wilson has a considerable criminal record and there was already an outstanding warrant for his arrest for a crime of violence.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:46 pm

Kendra wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:27 pm
Azastan wrote:
Kendra wrote:

I had a buddy in high school who collected antique rifles. He had a couple early 20th century Mauser rifles that were absolute beasts. Heavy long they were brutally scary with a spike bayonet stuck on them.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:08 pm

I'm pretty sure there were a lot of guns in the suburbanish area where I grew up—lots of hunters. But you never saw guns being toted around casually.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:15 am

Aryan Nations gang member shot Tennessee officer, captured, police say

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ar ... d_nn_tw_ma
An Aryan Nations gang member suspected of shooting at an officer before fleeing the scene has been captured, Tennessee police said Saturday.

Ronnie Lucas Wilson, 31, who was being sought for attempted murder and had been added to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation's top 10 most wanted fugitives, was captured in Blount County in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Wilson was found along with a woman, Kristin Denise King, also 31, and both were transported to Knoxville Police Department where they will be interviewed by investigators, police said.

In an earlier statement police had appealed for help from the public to find King, adding that they were concerned that she may be in danger in Wilson's company.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:15 am

Man fatally shoots 68-year-old mother in the head over broken video game headset

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/m ... -1.3754550
The 28-year-old started yelling while he was playing video games in his bedroom on Wednesday night, police said.

When the mother went to check on him, Matthew Nicholson argued with her and broke his own headset.

Matthew Nicholson then blamed his mom and threatened to kill both his parents before he grabbed a handgun in the home, police said.

He shot his mother in the head before his 81-year-old father Loren Nicholson wrestled the gun out of his hands, according to police.
Too bad there was a gun in that house. :(

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:22 am

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:15 am
Man fatally shoots 68-year-old mother in the head over broken video game headset

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/m ... -1.3754550
The 28-year-old started yelling while he was playing video games in his bedroom on Wednesday night, police said.

When the mother went to check on him, Matthew Nicholson argued with her and broke his own headset.

Matthew Nicholson then blamed his mom and threatened to kill both his parents before he grabbed a handgun in the home, police said.

He shot his mother in the head before his 81-year-old father Loren Nicholson wrestled the gun out of his hands, according to police.
Too bad there was a gun in that house. :(
One of the big questions our society has to deal with is affordability of housing (young people unable to live on their own) and why it's become normal for a 28-year-old to live with his parents. It seems to be a growing thing. Living at home, being single, playing games, and having no purpose in life. Some is from outside influences (affordability of housing, student loan debt, etc.), but a lot also seems to be inability or unwillingness to mature. I don't know this guy's story, but it made me think of this again.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:04 pm

WHTM
US Marshals Service IDs deputy shot, killed in Harrisburg

HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) – The U.S. Marshals Service has identified a deputy marshal who was shot and killed while serving a warrant on a fugitive in Harrisburg early Thursday.

Christopher D. Hill, 45, was an 11-year veteran of the U.S. Marshals Service assigned to the Middle District of Pennsylvania. He was part of a Marshals Service task force executing a warrant for the arrest of Shayla Lynette Towles Pierce, who was wanted by the Harrisburg police on a terroristic threat charge, according to a news release.

The Marshals Service said the located Pierce in a home in the 1800 block of Mulberry Street. While executing the warrant, the team was fired upon by a man who was in the home with Pierce. Hill and two task force officers were struck by gunfire around 6:10 a.m.

Hill was transported to UPMC Pinnacle Harrisburg hospital where he died. The other officers were treated for non-life threatening injuries.

The man who fired on the officers was killed when officers returned fire. His name was not immediately released.

Pierce is in custody.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:23 am

CBS News
School shooting in Texas prompts authorities to respond - live updates

Authorities are responding to a school shooting in Texas, a sheriff's office said. The Ellis County Sheriff's Office said a suspect was in custody in Italy, Texas.

The sheriff's office confirmed to a reporter for CBS Dallas-Fort Worth station KTVT that the suspect in the shooting at Italy High School is a 16-year-old male student. The suspect was taken into custody without incident.

The sheriff's office also confirmed that a 15-year-old female student had been shot and was taken by air ambulance to a hospital. No one else was shot.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:54 am

CNN
1 killed, 7 taken to hospitals after Kentucky high school shooting

(CNN) At least one person was killed in a shooting Tuesday at a Kentucky high school, Gov. Matt Bevin said.

"Tragic shooting at Marshall County HS ... Shooter is in custody, one confirmed fatality, multiple others wounded," Bevin tweeted. ...

So far, the motive for the shooting isn't known.

Marshall County High School is in Benton, Kentucky. All officers at the Benton Police Department office inside City Hall left to go to the scene, Benton City Clerk Beth Cooper said.

Developing story -- more to come

¡Qué vergüenza!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:54 am
CNN
1 killed, 7 taken to hospitals after Kentucky high school shooting

(CNN) At least one person was killed in a shooting Tuesday at a Kentucky high school, Gov. Matt Bevin said.

"Tragic shooting at Marshall County HS ... Shooter is in custody, one confirmed fatality, multiple others wounded," Bevin tweeted. ...

So far, the motive for the shooting isn't known.

Marshall County High School is in Benton, Kentucky. All officers at the Benton Police Department office inside City Hall left to go to the scene, Benton City Clerk Beth Cooper said.

Developing story -- more to come
That makes 10 school shootings so far this year and it is still January. :madguy:

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:49 pm

So much for Drumpf ending American Carnage. As someone suggested in another thread, does this make the Goopers "complicit" in all of these murders?

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:23 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:49 pm
So much for Drumpf ending American Carnage. As someone suggested in another thread, does this make the Goopers "complicit" in all of these murders?
I think that was me. If 45 & friends can accuse Democrats of being complicit in murder due to ebil immigrants, why can't the Republicans be held complicit for doing nothing about gun control?

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Lexington Herald-Leader
Updates: 2 15-year-olds dead, dozen more wounded in Kentucky high school shooting

A shooting at Marshall County High School in Western Kentucky killed a 15-year old boy and a 15-year-old girl and wounded 12 others, according to Kentucky State Police.

Five others were treated for injuries, but they were not shot, Gov. Matt Bevin and police said. All of the victims are believed to be students.

The suspect is a 15-year-old boy who was apprehended at the school by a deputy. The boy will be charged with murder and attempted murder, police said.

The shooting occurred just before 8 a.m. at the Benton high school in southwestern Kentucky, according to Kentucky State Police Commissioner Rick Sanders. The student entered the school, which starts at 8 a.m., with a handgun and opened fire, Sanders said. ...

The girl died at the high school and the boy died at the hospital, Bevin said.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”