Another Shooting

Addie

Re: Another Shooting

Post by Addie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:28 pm

Chicago Tribune
7 shot in Gary during early morning attack, 1 man in custody

Seven people, including three women, were shot in a single incident in Gary early Sunday morning, police said.

About 2:30 a.m. officers from the Gary (Indiana) Police Department were called to the 4600 block of Melton Road on the East Side of Gary, not far off Interstate 90, according to a statement from Lt. Dawn Westerfield, a spokeswoman for the Gary agency.

In an email, Westerfield wrote that police had been sent to the location for a report of one person shot. But when they arrived, officers found four men and three women had been shot, she said.

An eighth person suffered an injury to his leg as he tried to escape the gunfire, Westerfield said.

Detective Sgt. William Fazekas was leading the investigation in the aftermath Sunday morning. He said two men were thought to be responsible.

¡Qué vergüenza!

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:36 am

Was on OLive looking for Max's latest and found this
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... incart_std

7 year old shoots 2 year old sibling in the head

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:51 pm

The Hill
At least 3 dead in Calif. elementary school shooting

At least three people are dead following a shooting at an elementary school in Rancho Tehama, California, according to police. The shooter was also killed by police.

The shooting occurred at Rancho Tehama Elementary, a small public school of 100 students located in northern California.

Tehama County Assistant Sheriff Phil Johnston told local news affiliate KCRA in an interview that "a number" of students had been airlifted from the scene, but that the school had been cleared and the students were now safe.

"I know that we have medevaced a number of students," Johnston said. "I know that the school's been cleared. I know that we have children that were attending school in a safe location at this time."

It wasn't immediately clear if the initial death count included the shooter. Johnston said that about 100 law enforcement personnel were spread out at "multiple scenes" in and around the school, and described local police as "spread thin."

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:31 pm

ABC 7
Red Bluff shooting spree leaves 5 dead, including gunman, multiple others injured at 7 locations in Tehama County ...

At least one student was shot and injured at an elementary school after shootings occurred at seven separate scenes near the town of Red Bluff.

A second child and a female adult were shot in a truck, authorities said. According to police, it appears that the shooter was randomly picking targets.

The gunman was killed after two officers engaged the shooter, law enforcement officials said. The gunman had a semi-automatic rifle and two handguns.

At least seven people were hospitalized after the shooting spree.

Mercy Dignity Health confirmed that the hospital has received three patients. Enloe Hospital received four, according to hospital officials.

Police confirmed that students were among those transported to hospitals.

Jeanine Quist, an administrative assistant with the Corning Union Elementary School District, said no one was killed at the school but a "number" of students were shot and wounded.

¡Qué vergüenza!

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Found this thread on the second page. Is this becoming the "new normal?"

From what I've read, the common denominators of domestic violence and semi-automatic weapons appear again. :notlistening:

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:05 pm

Record Searchlight
Shooter identified as 43-year-old man who had problems with neighbors ...

The gunman, identified by the Sacramento Bee and members of the Rancho Tehama, as Kevin Janson Neal, 43, shot both inside and outside Rancho Tehama Elementary School, Johnston said.

At least three weapons were used in the shooting, Johnston said. Johnston said there was another gun found in the pickup the shooter was driving. ...

Law enforcement saw Neal shooting at the pickup and gave chase, ramming his vehicle, forcing it off the road, and then two deputies killed him in a shootout. Johnston said the deputies, who weren't injured, found the gunman dead inside a car. They also found the semiautomatic rifle and two handguns they say he used. A second long gun was also recovered. One of the long guns was an AR-15, Johnston said. ...

“The crazy thing is that the neighbor has been shooting a lot of bullets lately, hundreds of rounds, large magazines,” Flint said. “We made it aware that this guy is crazy and he’s been threatening us.”

Living near the gunman was "hell," Flint said, adding the man often harassed him and his neighbors.

¡Qué vergüenza!

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:29 am

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:42 am

Suspected domestic violence, no info on the weapon used.
Note the ages. 14 and 15.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:01 pm

I doubt this comes as a surprise.

https://thinkprogress.org/northern-cali ... 422c85b1c/
The gunman, identified as Kevin Neal, 43, targeted an elementary school during his sprawling attack, injuring one child at the school and another child being driven to the school, but a lockdown procedure kept Neal from doing further damage, and initial reports said four people were killed.

Then, on Wednesday, the Tehama County sheriff confirmed the shooter’s identity and said that law enforcement found Neal’s wife fatally shot on the floor of their home.

:snippity:

Neal has a history of violence against women. One of the people killed Tuesday was a woman who had sought protection from Neal earlier this year. The woman, a neighbor of Neal’s, filed a temporary restraining order against him after he violently attacked her and another woman in January. According to law enforcement, Neal fired at the two women through a fence, then stabbed one of them and stole a cell phone.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:11 pm

California Gunman Was Released on Bail Before Deadly Rampage

http://time.com/5025948/california-shooter-bail/
The gunman behind a rampage in Northern California was out on bail charged with stabbing a neighbor, others had complained about him firing hundreds of rounds from his house, and he had been the subject of a domestic violence call the day before the attack.

Yet Kevin Neal was free and able to use a semi-automatic rifle and two handguns Tuesday to shoot 14 people, killing four, in seven different locations across his rural community, including an elementary school, before he died in a shootout with police.

Tehama County Assistant Sheriff Phil Johnston said Wednesday that investigators found the body of Kevin Janson Neal’s wife hidden under the floor. Investigators believe the killing of his wife – the fifth victim – was the start of the rampage.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:11 pm
California Gunman Was Released on Bail Before Deadly Rampage

http://time.com/5025948/california-shooter-bail/
The gunman behind a rampage in Northern California was out on bail charged with stabbing a neighbor, others had complained about him firing hundreds of rounds from his house, and he had been the subject of a domestic violence call the day before the attack.

Yet Kevin Neal was free and able to use a semi-automatic rifle and two handguns Tuesday to shoot 14 people, killing four, in seven different locations across his rural community, including an elementary school, before he died in a shootout with police.

Tehama County Assistant Sheriff Phil Johnston said Wednesday that investigators found the body of Kevin Janson Neal’s wife hidden under the floor. Investigators believe the killing of his wife – the fifth victim – was the start of the rampage.
I've probably watched too many crime dramas, but the fact that he hid the body indicates that on some level he felt guilty about it; so why did he then go out and kill so many other people?

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:45 pm

I’m not convinced hiding the body is necessarily a sign of feelings of guilt per se... a sociopath can know they’ve done something “against the rules” and take steps to avoid punishment. And some people know right from wrong, but just don’t care.

Perhaps the reality that once you’ve killed a family member, your life is over, grabs you... envisioning being in prison, hated by the rest of your family... making you the most dangerous kind of person: one with nothing left to lose. So why not settle some old scores, or act out against people you just don’t like? What’re they gonna do, execute you twice?

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:14 am

maydijo wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:48 pm
I've probably watched too many crime dramas, but the fact that he hid the body indicates that on some level he felt guilty about it; so why did he then go out and kill so many other people?
Hiding the body usually indicates an attempt to delay or avoid detection. Covering the face or body tends to indicate feelings of guilt or remorse.

I'm thinking this is following the pattern of so many other cases that begin with killing a family member. Kill them first, then move on to the neighbors, friends, co-workers, whoever has wronged them. "In for a penny, in for a pound" mindset. At least 2 school shooters come to mind immediately who killed their mother before heading off to the school. Luke Woodham and Adam Lanza. There are probably more.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:37 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:14 am
maydijo wrote:
Hiding the body usually indicates an attempt to delay or avoid detection. Covering the face or body tends to indicate feelings of guilt or remorse.

I'm thinking this is following the pattern of so many other cases that begin with killing a family member. Kill them first, then move on to the neighbors, friends, co-workers, whoever has wronged them. "In for a penny, in for a pound" mindset. At least 2 school shooters come to mind immediately who killed their mother before heading off to the school. Luke Woodham and Adam Lanza. There are probably more.
Thanks for the clarification re: hiding the body v. covering the body.

Kip Kenkel (1998) was another school shooter who killed his parents first.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:38 am

maydijo wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:37 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:14 am
maydijo wrote:

Thanks for the clarification re: hiding the body v. covering the body.

Kip Kenkel (1998) was another school shooter who killed his parents first.
And Charles Whitman. The more I think about it, the more who come to mind.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:57 pm

This goes beyond a stupid reason to shoot someone...

Alabama fan shoots Auburn fan over which team is better, police say
An argument between an Alabama and Auburn fan Monday over which team is better escalated to the point of gunfire, Mobile (Alabama) Police said.

According to police, the Alabama fan shot the Auburn fan outside of an Extenda Suites motel around 7 p.m. on Monday.

"The male subject got mad, pulled out a firearm and struck the victim in the thigh and fled," the police report said.

The victim's condition and the shooter's whereabouts were unknown as of Thursday afternoon.
Makes you wonder when a gameday tailgate party will turn into a massive shootout, doesn't it.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:38 pm

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:42 pm

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... nts-media/
How Media Obsession With Body Counts Could Actually Motivate the Next Mass Shooter

But it’s time to stop emphasizing body counts. It adds nothing significant to the coverage—and it may actually exacerbate the problem.

I say this as a journalist who built the first open-source database of mass shootings and who has studied and reported in-depth on this phenomenon for the past five years. Along the way I’ve learned a lot about the problem—including what can help inspire potentially dangerous people to conceive, plan, and then carry out these heinous acts. One key factor is a fascination with high-profile mass shootings, and an explicit desire to top their death tolls. It’s part of a broader goal seen among many perpetrators: the desire for lasting infamy.

In August 2015, a disgruntled ex-TV journalist gunned down two former colleagues as they were doing a live broadcast in Virginia. Before he struck, Vester Flanagan had written about admiring the mass murderer at Virginia Tech in 2007—and how that shooter had outdone the two at Columbine: “I was influenced by Seung-Hui Cho,” Flanagan wrote. “That’s my boy right there. He got NEARLY double the amount that Eric Harris and Dylann Klebold got…just sayin.'”

But it’s time to stop emphasizing body counts. It adds nothing significant to the coverage—and it may actually exacerbate the problem.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:59 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... 017/11/16/
Which domestic abusers will go on to commit murder? This one act offers a clue.

In 2012, while stationed at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico, Devin Patrick Kelley assaulted his wife and stepson. Kelley was subsequently convicted of domestic violence and released early from the Air Force.

One important detail of the attack: In addition to fracturing the child’s skull and hitting and kicking his wife, Kelley strangled her. If the particular severity of his violence had been better understood and recognized in New Mexico, 26 people, including a 17-month-old baby named Noah, might not have been killed in Sutherland Springs, Tex., this month.

Strangulation inhabits a category all its own in domestic violence as a marker of lethality. A kick, a punch, a slap, a bite — none of these, though terrible, portend homicide like strangulation does. And while the link between mass shooters and domestic violence is increasingly recognized in the public arena, articles and op-eds, strangulation as a specific sign of lethality in the context of domestic violence remains largely unknown.

The U.S. Sentencing Commission recognized strangulation as a marker of dangerousness in a 2014 report and recommended increased prison time — up to 10 years — for those convicted of it. Indeed, 45 states now recognize strangulation as a felony. New Mexico, where Kelley was convicted, is not one of them.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”