Another Shooting

Sugar Magnolia

Re: Another Shooting

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:00 pm

neeneko wrote:
Mary Quite Contrary wrote: It was an accident. I was 5 at the time. I just want to point out that I grew up in an affluent area and was in private schooling. This can happen anywhere if people are stupid with firearms.
Something people seem to really struggle with is accepting that, well, no matter how bright one's snowflake is, children _are_ stupid. Undeveloped brains and very little knowledge acquired. Regardless of race, gender, or socioeconomic background kids will do dumb things because they are kids and doing dumb stuff is how they learn. Thus it is rather important for adults, who may or may not be dumb (which also seems to be unrelated to background) to keep kids from potentially fatal mistakes like access to loaded guns.

There has been this big meme lately that as long as you sit down children and go over gun safety then you can leave loaded guns around because 'my children listen!'.... yeah... doesn't work.
I'm assuming these same parents allow their children to play in the street because they know the kids will get out of the way when a car comes?

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:09 pm

kate520 wrote:Tolland...what? When? Overall?
Austin, Texas. Charles Whitman.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I never repeat myself. I never repeat myself. Trump 2/25/16

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:18 pm

I have a sister I really don't speak with. During one of our last meaningful conversations (about 14 years ago) she told me that her husband sleeps with a loaded gun in the nightstand "because it's useless if it's not loaded." I asked what they'd do when they had kids, and she said they'd just teach the kids not to play with it. Yeah, because two year olds listen. It's not like they were living in a bad neighborhood, we're talking suburban Utah here. Surprisingly her kids are all still alive. I'm guessing she probably changed her tune when she was faced with the reality of a toddler getting into everything.

Of course after half a lifetime in Australia my opinion of gun control is different to the majority opinion in the US. I have no problem with people owning guns for hunting or sports. But I do believe they should be stored securely.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:29 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Austin, Texas. Charles Whitman.
:shock:
:bighug: :bighug:
Devastating.

Thanks, TF
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Officer shoots Ohio newspaper photographer after confusing his tripod and camera for a gun
By Kristine Phillips September 5 at 4:20 PM

A newspaper photographer from Ohio was shot Monday night by a sheriff’s deputy who apparently mistook his camera and tripod for a gun, and fired without a warning, the newspaper reported.

Andy Grimm, a photographer for the New Carlisle News, left the office at about 10 p.m. to take pictures of lightning when he came across a traffic stop and decided to take photos, according to Dale Grimm, the photographer’s father and the paper’s publisher.

“He said he got out, parked under a light in plain view of the deputy, with a press pass around his neck,” Dale Grimm told The Washington Post. “He was setting up his camera, and he heard pops.”

Clark County Sheriff’s Deputy Jake Shaw did not give any warnings before he fired, striking Andy Grimm on the side, according to the paper.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... for-a-gun/

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:00 pm

That was the first mass shooting on a college campus, the University of Texas tower massacre of August 1, 1966. The girl who lost the baby survived, thanks to an exchange student throwing his body over hers. He was killed.

I thought that I was hearing boards dropping on cement until that young man yelled " he's shooting.' You might see me in photos hiding behind a wall.

The police were not prepared to take down a shooter on the deck of a 30-story building. Police and a volunteer had to climb the stairs. It took 96 minutes.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

vic

Post by vic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:06 pm

:crying:

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:25 pm

:o

It must have been surreal, Tollie.
:bighug:

Mohammed Ali

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:16 am

kate520 wrote::o

It must have been surreal, Tollie.
:bighug:
Ambulance crews could not come onto campus until the shooter was stopped. He was a Marine Corps sniper. Something went wrong with him, maybe a brain tumor discovered on the autopsy for which he had asked in writing.

At one time I hated Charles Whitman. That emotion has been replaced by gratitude to the young man from Barcelona.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:51 pm

Associated Press
Window washer shot outside Milwaukee newspaper building

MILWAUKEE (AP) — A window washer was shot and wounded while working outside the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel building in downtown Milwaukee.

An Associated Press reporter heard several gunshots around 1:30 p.m. Thursday on the State Street side of the building, where a large window was shattered near the news cooperative's office.

The 30-year-old man, who was shot in the chest, ran inside the building where employees gave first aid and called 911. The man was conscious as paramedics loaded him into the ambulance.

Police said their initial investigation suggested a vehicle not connected to the window washer or the newspaper building was the intended target. They said the window washer's injury was serious but didn't elaborate.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:22 pm

New York Daily News
Father commits suicide after 2-year-old son accidentally shoots himself with loaded gun

A South Carolina father committed suicide moments after his young son accidentally shot himself with a gun found in their home, police said.

According to a press release from the Columbia Police Department, officers responded to a call Wednesday morning about a shooting at a home in Columbia.

When police arrived they found 2-year-old Kyree Myers suffering from a gunshot wound to the head, and his father Keon Myers "threatening to harm himself."

The department said officers tried repeatedly to get Myers, 38, to drop the weapon, but he refused, ultimately shooting himself in the head.

Kyree and his father were rushed to the hospital, where they were both pronounced dead.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:26 am

CBS News
Shooting leaves 8 dead in Texas, police say

PLANO, TEXAS -- Police say eight people, including the suspect, were shot to death at a home in Plano, Texas, Sunday evening, CBS Dallas / Fort Worth reports.

Police say the incident happened at a home in a neighborhood on West Spring Creek Parkway.

Plano Police PIO David Tilley says officers responded to the residence just after 8 p.m. local time after gunshots were reportedly heard.

According to police, an officer also fatally shot the suspect in the deadly shooting. ...

Officer Tilley says all the victims are adults.

No officers were injured.
¡Qué vergüenza!

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:31 am

The title of this thread could be Another Day, another shooting. Or Another hour, another shooting . . .

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:45 am

Aha.
New York Daily News: Seven people found shot to death inside Texas home during Dallas Cowboys party, shooter killed by police ...

The shooting took place as the victims watched the Dallas Cowboys battle the New York Giants at AT&T Stadium, the Dallas Morning News reports, citing neighbors.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:01 pm

New York Daily News
Teen fatally shoots his mother after she said he couldn't keep puppy in the house ...

Andrew David Willson, 19, was charged Monday with murder and felony firearm possession after his mother Lisa Marie Willson, 51, was found dead in her home, the Lansing State Journal reported.

Willson called police early Friday morning to say he returned to their Wheatfield Township, Mich., home to find his mother dead in a bedroom, the Ingham County Sheriff’s detective Charles Buckland testified. ...

Andrew Willson later told detectives that he used a rifle from a locked cabinet and shot his mother in the back of the head while she was sleeping, according to Buckland. ...

Andrew Willson, who was denied bond at his arraignment Monday, is scheduled to appear for a preliminary hearing on Sept. 28.
¡Qué vergüenza!

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:56 pm

The 19 year old apparently was not house broken yet either.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 am

Back to the football massacre:

Another American Massacre Just Went Almost Totally Ignored
Lane told WFAA that her daughter, 27-year-old Meredith Hight, owned the home and had recently filed for divorce from her husband. She says he showed up at her daughter's home and opened fire. "As time passed we assumed the worst," said Meredith's mother Debbie Lane. Debbie Lane says her daughter Meredith Hight, a Georgia native, hosted an Atlanta Falcons watch party, and the group was about to watch the Cowboys game. “She was a cook, and a quite fine one, and she loved hosting friends and families."

Some of the most eloquent voices against this country’s insane fascination with its firearms are the victims of domestic violence and the people who work with them. Of course, those people don’t understand the importance of an unregulated right to bear arms now that we’re all living in the hellscape that exists in the mind of Wayne LaPierre. Sorry about the brute sarcasm, but I’m fed up with living in a country where a massacre doesn’t even make the top of the news anymore.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:57 am

:madguy:
♪ ♫ Human kindness is overflowin',
And I think it's goin'
To rain today. ♫ ♪

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:43 am

pipistrelle wrote:Of course, those people don’t understand the importance of an unregulated right to bear arms now that we’re all living in the hellscape that exists in the mind of Wayne LaPierre.
I think it is less that he sees a hellscape, and more dollar signs since the solution to party shootings like this, in the world of his backers, is to have more people at the party armed. The more random violence feels, the more guns you need spread around 'just in case'.
Sorry about the brute sarcasm, but I’m fed up with living in a country where a massacre doesn’t even make the top of the news anymore.
In a way the lack of news is a good thing. The whole backing of the guns right movement is increasing sales, and stories about shootings encourage people to buy more guns. More focus on the scary random violence is exactly what the NRA et al want.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:54 pm

1 killed in shooting at Washington high school

Published:Wednesday, September 13th 2017, 12:58 pm CDT

Updated:Wednesday, September 13th 2017, 3:35 pm CDT

By RNN Staff

ROCKFORD, WA (RNN) - At least one person is dead from a shooting at a Washington high school Wednesday, the Spokane County sheriff said.

Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich said three other people were shot, and a person has been taken into custody, according to The Spokesman-Review. There have been conflicting reports on the exact number of injured, but three victims were transported to Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center's trauma center, a spokesman from the fire department said.

The hospital said during a news conference that the three teenagers are in stable condition, and one will need surgery this afternoon. In addition to the high school, the middle and elementary schools were placed in lockdown.

Police searched the high school's rooms for any additional threats, the sheriff's office said on Twitter. The schools have been given the "all-clear," and parents have been advised where to pick up their children.

Identities of the suspect and victims have not been revealed by authorities. Medical helicopters responded, along with police and other emergency responders.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:59 am

WaPo
Homeless man asked woman to move Porsche so he could sleep. Then she shot him, police say.

Around 3 a.m. one Saturday morning last month, Gerald Melton was trying to sleep — as he often did — on a sidewalk near Nashville’s Music Row, known as the heart of the city’s entertainment industry.

But the 54-year-old homeless man was “disturbed” by the smell of exhaust fumes and the sound of loud music emanating from a white Porsche SUV nearby, Nashville metro police said in a news release. He asked the driver to move the Porsche, prompting a shouting match between the two. At some point, Melton walked back to the area where he had been trying to sleep, he told police.

Then, the driver, a 26-year-old woman named Katie Quackenbush, allegedly stepped out of the Porsche and fired two gunshots at Melton, hitting him in the stomach, police said. She then got back in her SUV and fled the area.

On Monday, Quackenbush, an aspiring singer and songwriter, was charged with attempted murder in connection with the Aug. 26 shooting. She was booked into jail and released after posting a $25,000 bond. Melton was critically wounded and remains hospitalized at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, police said. ...

However, Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron told the Tennessean that neither Quackenbush nor the woman with her initially reported the incident to police. Another person who found Melton wounded called authorities for help. The police department didn’t hear anything from Quackenbush until her attorney reached out to the prosecutor’s office at the start of the following week.
¡Qué vergüenza!

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:44 am

Here's a youtube of the man who got shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p090r2wBWl8

Apparently in Nashville you can't even shoot a homeless guy without hitting a musician. A great musician at that.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:46 am

He's good :thumbs:
¡Qué vergüenza!

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:02 am

How does an "aspiring" singer afford a Porsche? Daddy, no doubt.

Mohammed Ali

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:11 am

kate520 wrote:How does an "aspiring" singer afford a Porsche? Daddy, no doubt.
Daddy is a high-priced lawyer in TX.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”